Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
    Posted: March 23 2011 at 15:41
I saw the old one was locked

Anyway, with the new album, Testimony 2, coming soon, as well as the MMPLM album, Im generally excited. Im listening to "One" right now, definitely one of his best. I have most of his material, but im missing some. Speaking of Testimony 2, there is an update from Neal Morse himself, and ***SPOILER ALERT**** he plays a couple of minutes of the new album Testimony 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1P4gYuNgc

here's my list of favorite NM albums that i own (but i love them all)

1. Bridge Across Forever (TA)
2. The Whirlwind (TA)
3. ? (solo)
4. V (SB)
5. Sola Scriptura (solo)
6. The Kindness of Strangers (SB)
7. SMPTe (TA)
8. One (solo)
9. The Light (SB) (the title track is one of his best compositions, but i wish the production was a wee bit better)
10. Testimony (solo)

i still need to get Snow and the rest of the NM-Spock's Beard albums, as well as his solo album Lifeline, and then i have just about everything Smile. But I'm in no rush, i dont want to hit the wall again, as i have a couple of times already.

Edited by darkshade - March 23 2011 at 15:47
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 16:01
I absolutely love One, ? and Sola Scriptura of his solo works, and Bridge Across Forever with Transatlantic. Masterpieces.

With SB I love The Kindness Of Strangers and Snow, and a bit less V and Day For Night, and in the same league I would put SMPTe and The Wirlwind.

In a bit lower level I would put Testimony (a lot of great stuff but hampered by some weaker parts, it could have been a single CD and not double) and SB's Beware of Darkness and The Light.

Lifeline was a bit of a dissapointment except for the wonderful title track.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 16:02
the guy is a genius .the transatlantic stuff is really good and from his solo albums i like  ?  .
btw neal played in ayreon album the dream sequencer  an also in ryo okumoto album ,in both cases is great
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 21:35
im looking at the Ayreon album page, does he only sing? does he play anything?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:24

Great list!

I love the Morse catalogue
I have

2. The Whirlwind (TA)
3. ? (solo)
4. V (SB)
5. Sola Scriptura (solo)
6. Snow (SB)
7. SMPTe (TA)
8. One Demos (solo)
9. The Light (SB)
10. Testimony (solo)

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 23 2011 at 22:24
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:35
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Great list!

I have

2. The Whirlwind (TA)
3. ? (solo)
4. V (SB)
5. Sola Scriptura (solo)
6. Snow (SB)
7. SMPTe (TA)
8. One Demos (solo)
9. The Light (SB)
10. Testimony (solo)

very similar list to mine. I see you have the One demos, but not the actual album itself?

Ive been meaning to check out Snow, one of his and SB's more popular albums. But I also want to get Lifeline so i can complete my post-SB Neal Morse prog album collection.
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanVanVan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 22:41
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I believe he just sings on the one song, he does have a co-writing credit for that song though.
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 23:01

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Great list!

I have

2. The Whirlwind (TA)
3. ? (solo)
4. V (SB)
5. Sola Scriptura (solo)
6. Snow (SB)
7. SMPTe (TA)
8. One Demos (solo)
9. The Light (SB)
10. Testimony (solo)

very similar list to mine. I see you have the One demos, but not the actual album itself?

Ive been meaning to check out Snow, one of his and SB's more popular albums. But I also want to get Lifeline so i can complete my post-SB Neal Morse prog album collection.
yeah so similar to yours but the One Demos was a Birthday present and i was as surprised as anyone. i had to add it to the PA database as it was not even there. It is the same as the One album but demo versions and some are better. I have only heard One, dont have it.
I love Snow, reviewed that one recently.
I think Lifeline would be great. I havce te debut solo too - forgot that one. Its not that good but it was very cheap in a bargain bin at a CD store.

I have the testimony Live DVD and it is incredible but not as good as Transatlantics DVD Whirld Tour
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 23:40
i see mixed reviews for both albums on the site, though it seems Snow is better, based on reviews, but Lifeline also has strong material mixed with lesser material. But that's how i felt about Testimony, and i like it (though the least of everything I've heard by NM)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2011 at 23:51
Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

I believe he just sings on the one song, he does have a co-writing credit for that song though.
from wikipedia

The First Man On Earth

This song makes reference to the appearance of the first Homo sapiens on Earth, circa 50,000 BCE. Vocals on this song were provided by Neal Morse (ex-frontman of Spock's Beard) and backing vocals were provided by Mark McCrite. Neal Morse, Erik Norlander and Arjen Anthony Lucassen are the composers of the song's lyrics

This song is incredible.
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 00:04
Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 00:17
i have to listen to that later. I was deep in Neal's ? album before, and i forgot to come back here and now im deep in Pat Metheny Group's s/t album
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 00:32

whata talent  Clap

\

Nothing can last
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:20
oh man I really hope the new band isn't called MMPLM. How would you pronounce that? No vowels. How exactly would you cheer for them at a concert?

Maybe the name Dregsatlantic is out of the question, but I hope they come up with something better than MMPLM.

Edited by Harry Hood - March 24 2011 at 01:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:33
Thanks to the OP my avatar has regenerated!
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Overboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:35
^ er, is that the Twelfth Doctor?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:35
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Thanks to the OP my avatar has regenerated!

that's cool, your old avatar creeped me out

Edited by darkshade - March 24 2011 at 01:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:36

that's cool, your old avatar creeped me out

David Tennant does that to people.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:37
i want to change my avatar to Neal Morse too, but I like my current one too much
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 01:55

This one's on me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 45>