Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 02:50
Love his solo music
Like his stuff with Spocks Beard
Not bothered about Transatlantic
natewait View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natewait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 20:39
I LOVE Neal Morse! My favorite musical artist of all time. I think he is just a complete genius. Here is my order of the albums he is involved in:

1. The Whirlwind (TA)
2. Bridge Across Forever (TA)
3. Sola Scriptura (NM)
4. One (NM)
5. Snow (SB)
6. Testimony (NM)
7. ? (NM)
8. V (SB)
9. The Kindness Of Strangers (SB)
10. SMPT:e (TA)
11. Beware Of Darkness (SB)
12. Lifeline (NM)
13. Day For Night (SB)
14. The Light (SB)

I also love his two solo albums before he left Spock's Beard (self titled and It's Not Too Late) and have all his worship albums and enjoy them on occasion as well. Those 14 albums above show how incredibly strong Neal's work is. It is unbelievable!

I can't wait for Testimony 2! I have a feeling it is going to be mind-blowing. I also am going to see it live when they tour here in LA. I can't wait! I'm also extremely curious about MMPLM. I wonder what it'll sound like...

Please check out my Progressive Music Blog: The Leviathan.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2011 at 21:12
Originally posted by natewait natewait wrote:

I LOVE Neal Morse! My favorite musical artist of all time. I think he is just a complete genius. Here is my order of the albums he is involved in:

1. The Whirlwind (TA)
2. Bridge Across Forever (TA)
3. Sola Scriptura (NM)
4. One (NM)
5. Snow (SB)
6. Testimony (NM)
7. ? (NM)
8. V (SB)
9. The Kindness Of Strangers (SB)
10. SMPT:e (TA)
11. Beware Of Darkness (SB)
12. Lifeline (NM)
13. Day For Night (SB)
14. The Light (SB)

I also love his two solo albums before he left Spock's Beard (self titled and It's Not Too Late) and have all his worship albums and enjoy them on occasion as well. Those 14 albums above show how incredibly strong Neal's work is. It is unbelievable!

I can't wait for Testimony 2! I have a feeling it is going to be mind-blowing. I also am going to see it live when they tour here in LA. I can't wait! I'm also extremely curious about MMPLM. I wonder what it'll sound like...

i like your list, besides the albums i dont have. Yes i cannot wait til the new album comes out. Hopefully only a month and a half to go.

I have no clue what the MMPLM album is going to sound like (or what they're calling themselves, MMPLM doesnt quite work IMO)
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 02:31
If you're interested to hear what Dredgsatlantic would hypothetically sound like, I recommend you give a listen to Kansas's album "Power". It merges the symphonic prog stylings of Kansas with Steve Morse's melodic hard rock and jazz influence in a way that hasn't really been done since.

Just replace Kansas with Transatlantic. Imagine Cruise Control segueing into the Whirlwind chorus.

But of course you also have to factor in this mysterious 5th member who's material I'm not familiar with at all.

I'm incredibly hyped regardless.

Edited by Harry Hood - March 25 2011 at 02:50
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 15:44
That Kansas album is a late 80s album, is it good?

i wound up getting Lifeline, since i dont feel like going through the double album of Snow just yet. I know it's not his best, but so far it isnt bad. That title track is awesome though, will need to give it a few more spins
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2011 at 22:45
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

That Kansas album is a late 80s album, is it good?

One of my favorites. The Steve Morse-era of Kansas is incredibly underrated. It's definitely a product of it's time, but if you can get past the 80's style production there's some really incredible music in there.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 09:29
Sounds great! ^^^

I think Snow is one of the more complex SB albums, the storyline is quite dense and there are a lot of amazing songs there. I can also say that Transatlantics DVDs Whirldwind tour is the best DVD featuring Morse. Testimony is a close riunner up of course. These DVDs are incredibly long concerts and Morse just pours his soul out in to his performances and he looks like he is enjoying himself, even when doing the cover of Genesis return of the Giant Hogweed.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 13:13
The Whirld-Tour DVD is one of my favorite purchases ever. I throw it on every now and then, and I love that they do every long-epic they have, and that version of We All Need Some Light made me appreciate it much more (never was a big fan of the SMPTe version...)

Neal does look like he's having a blast, but even more so Daniel, headbangin; and everything. Roine looking cool and confident, Pete jumping in place, and Portnoy being Portnoy. Such a fantastic DVD, not to mention they were ON that night.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 13:58
My Neal  Morse collection is weak Cry......I only have Testimony and The Whirlwind. I listen to a lot of his stuff online I just have been on a vinyl kick the past 2 yrs and revisiting my past......I have plans to get more!! Especially when T2 comes out, I'm already siked for this one.

I do have tickets for his Seattle show on May 27th...my wife and I can't wait, this one should be really good!!!!!!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 14:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My Neal  Morse collection is weak Cry......I only have Testimony and The Whirlwind. I listen to a lot of his stuff online I just have been on a vinyl kick the past 2 yrs and revisiting my past......I have plans to get more!! Especially when T2 comes out, I'm already siked for this one.

I do have tickets for his Seattle show on May 27th...my wife and I can't wait, this one should be really good!!!!!!!

at least you have the first Testimony, which is probably all you need to be familiar with to enjoy T2 (due to apparent recurring themes from T1)

If you're interested in getting more soon, I would say get Bridge Across Forever by Transatlantic, or if you want to get another solo album, i'd say get "?", that was my first NM solo album
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 16:54

at least you have the first Testimony, which is probably all you need to be familiar with to enjoy T2 (due to apparent recurring themes from T1)

If you're interested in getting more soon, I would say get Bridge Across Forever by Transatlantic, or if you want to get another solo album, i'd say get "?", that was my first NM solo album

10-4.....I plan on getting them all, solo and Transatlantic stuff......I'm more of a completeist when it comes to artists I really enjoy.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 22:32
I take this occasion to praise his European band guitarist Paul Bielatowicz.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 01:54

10-4.....I plan on getting them all, solo and Transatlantic stuff......I'm more of a completeist when it comes to artists I really enjoy.

Do you have any Morse-era Spock's Beard? If not, your collection is not complete without SB albums, he wrote almost all the music.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

I take this occasion to praise his European band guitarist Paul Bielatowicz.
Yep he is brilliant. Here he is with in Carl Palmers band
and doing a solo

Clap
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 07:16

and with Neal

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:51
^ is that from the Sola Scriptura DVD?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:53
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

Originally posted by VanVanVan VanVanVan wrote:

im looking at the Ayreon album page, does he only sing? does he play anything?

I believe he just sings on the one song, he does have a co-writing credit for that song though.
from wikipedia

The First Man On Earth

This song makes reference to the appearance of the first Homo sapiens on Earth, circa 50,000 BCE. Vocals on this song were provided by Neal Morse (ex-frontman of Spock's Beard) and backing vocals were provided by Mark McCrite. Neal Morse, Erik Norlander and Arjen Anthony Lucassen are the composers of the song's lyrics

This song is incredible.

It sounds like Neal played keys too, but that's just by his style.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 09:57

and yea it is
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:49
Originally posted by andyman1125 andyman1125 wrote:

and yea it is

Nice. I'd love to get that. (there's waaay too many CDs and DVDs i want to get right now. My wallet can't handle it LOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:59
Mike Portnoy talks about the new Neal Morse album Testimony 2, as well as the upcoming MMPLM album; among other things...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 45>