Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:01
LOL, I actually prefer Nick's drumming a tad. At least as it stands now, have you listened to X? He tears it up, man.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:08
No I only have The Light, The Kindness of Strangers, V, and Snow (the latter of which hasn't gotten me excited at all). I was looking to try X as my first post-Neal SB album, seeing as how most people seem to enjoy it a lot.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:09
Well, you need to at least acquire track 3, cuz it's a Neal song that he wrote for them.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:31
Interesting, I did not know that. That's more incentive to get it. I also have very few 2010 albums, so I'd like that to be good.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 15:43
Yes the Emporers Clothes....is very good. X is the only one I have. I want to get others for sure.....I enjoy Portnoy with Neal a lot.........His music needs good powerful drumming. Its For You on T2, Mike is amazing.......and live he just tore up that song, that last 1-2 minutes was amazing, he is so fast and technical with it.
malentendu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malentendu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 16:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

For sure one of the best albums of the year.......Tour wise the T2 Show was my #1 this year, behind Rush then DT.

Funny, I was just thinking of that too. Smile Pain of Salvation this week was good, but they looked a bit tired to me. So it looks like my prog concert of the year will be Neal Morse ahead of PoS and DT.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Yes the Emporers Clothes....is very good. X is the only one I have. I want to get others for sure.....I enjoy Portnoy with Neal a lot.........His music needs good powerful drumming. Its For You on T2, Mike is amazing.......and live he just tore up that song, that last 1-2 minutes was amazing, he is so fast and technical with it.

Yea, that's right, the Emperor's Clothes. I love that song, it reminds me of something Kevin Gilbert would do.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 17:55
Just finished Seeds of Gold earlier. I forgot how good it is, or maybe it finally "clicked" with how good it is. I always overlook the 2nd disc of Testimony 2, because the main disc is sooooo good.

6 months after Testimony 2 came out, I still think it's his best album.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 17:59
Absolute Beginner blows though. But yea, Seeds is the sh*t.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 18:01
I dont know, when I think of Testimony 2, I think of the main disc, even though disc 2 isn't labeled a bonus disc. Abolute Beginner and Supernatural are ok rock songs by Neal. Nothing to write home about, but I don't think they detract anything from the main album. And Seeds of Gold makes the 2nd disc.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 18:07
Absolute Beginner mainly pisses me off because the start made me think it was goona be some awesome Yes/GG goodness, but then it turned into Christ Pop. However, it's far from a disk ruiner.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:36
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I dont know, when I think of Testimony 2, I think of the main disc, even though disc 2 isn't labeled a bonus disc. Abolute Beginner and Supernatural are ok rock songs by Neal. Nothing to write home about, but I don't think they detract anything from the main album. And Seeds of Gold makes the 2nd disc.

I can't stand either one of those songs.  Seeds Of Gold is very good though, but not really his best epic, IMO.

Having absorbed Testimony 1, I think it's a good album, 3 stars.  Basically, not my favorite at all, but I do like the diversity of sound on it, and it's not as cheesy or simplistic as I first thought.  It took a while, but I like it now, though I'd only rank it above Lifeline in terms of his solo stuff (which means, next to last).  Testimony 2 is a great return to form after the disappointing Lifeline.  Not quite up to the standards of Sola and question mark for me, but pretty darn close.

Darkshade, you mentioned not liking Snow.  I'm in that group as well, as I just have never really understood why other fans think it's so great.  I bought it when it was released and listened to it probably a dozen times, and I revisit it once a year or so ever since.  But still, it just doesn't do it for me, though there are some excellent tracks on it.  I just feel like it's too few ideas stretched too thin over 2 CD's.  My opinion anyway.

Anyone heard Neal's first two solo albums?  I avoided them because they were composed of pop songs, with the exception of an epic on the first one.  A friend of mine heard it and tells me it's far from Neal's best epic, so I've never bothered with it.  Would love to hear what others here thought if they heard them.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 13:41
I love Snow prsonally, but it took quite a few plays to fully appreciate it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 21:53
I listened to Snow sometime in the last month, and it still did nothing for me. Even Lifeline has songs that I really like; something about Snow just turns me off. Is it the guitars? I don't know. I do know that Snow was the last Spock's Beard album Ive bought, and it did not make me want to get another anytime soon (I also have The Light, The Kindness Of Strangers , and V)

It's literally the only Neal-related album I have that I never want to listen to.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 12:52
darkshade, I think Snow is okay, but as I said despite having listened to it dozens of times it just doesn't do much for me.  Still has good music on it though, just easily my least favorite Spock's album.  You should definitely get Beware of Darkness though.  That is essential Spock's (my favorite is V, followed by Beware). 
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 11:59
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Anyone heard Neal's first two solo albums?

Sure.  Neal Morse (the first one) is okay and the second one (It's Not Too Late) bores me to tears.  These are nowhere near the class of his other work.

P.S.  I love Snow, but rarely listen to it anymore.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 12:14
I haven't been listening to Spock's Beard at all lately, but I'll probably get Beware of Darkness eventually, maybe when I come around to them again.
Not Neal-related, but I got SB's X recently, and while I didn't find it as engaging as Neal-era SB, it was a solid release, but doesn't make me want to check out the other post-Neal albums.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 13:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I haven't been listening to Spock's Beard at all lately, but I'll probably get Beware of Darkness eventually, maybe when I come around to them again.
Not Neal-related, but I got SB's X recently, and while I didn't find it as engaging as Neal-era SB, it was a solid release, but doesn't make me want to check out the other post-Neal albums.

Yeah, I heard Feel Euphoria a few times when it came out and it made me totally loose interest in the Spock's.  I've been curious about X though, but you and I seem to have pretty similar tastes and this comment doesn't encourage me to check it out.  Maybe eventually I will.

Definitely get Beware Of Darkness.  Great album.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 08:00
Neal Morse in 1985!

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 08:03
and in 1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 45>