Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 13:45
Ha ha Morse with long hair...  he sounds really good in 85.
He was such a hipster, his book talks about it ha ha
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 13:59
Aside from the hair, his appearance looks the same as he does now. His singing voice has aged, obviously, but in a good way IMO. He still sounds the same when he talks though, lol.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 11:56
Wow, that 1989 one was almost painful to watch and listen to.  I think I much prefer the modern Morse.  Of course, I'm sure he was just trying to make it as a musician, and it's sad what someone with his talent was forced to do back then to make ends meet.

As to his hair, it was much longer around the time of the first two Spock's albums.  There used to be a couple Youtubes from 1995 and 1996 that were interesting to watch (in one he's drinking a beer before the song starts).
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 14:17
He discusses that too in his Testimony book. He did do many gigs just to make ends meet. He even wrote some country songs.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:05
From Neal's forum

The new issue of UK Magazine "Classic Rock Presents Prog" has not only a Flying Colors track on the free cd, but also the results of the annual Readers' Poll. Neal has numbers 3 & 4 Best DVD's for More is Never Enough and Testimony 2 Live, Number 3 best Keyboard Player (behind Jordan Rudess and Rick Wakeman) and Number 4 Prog Icon (behind Steven Wilson, Peter Gabriel and Mike Portnoy.

There's also quite a glowing review of T2 Live, and some amazing news:

In an interview with Mike Portnoy, he says that Transatlantic are trying to find space in their schedules to record in 2012. I suggest we each donate a Thursday afternoon. 
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:11
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 10:16
New Neal Morse album, Flying Colors, and new Transatlantic all in 2012? Neal is on a roll. It seems all the TA-related guys (well, Portnoy's not in DT but...) are coming out with new albums this year or recording this year.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 12:02
i would love to see Transatlantic tour and record.  hope roine is up for it.  i know he says it's a tiring gig.  
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 12:05
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i would love to see Transatlantic tour and record.  hope roine is up for it.  i know he says it's a tiring gig.  

Maybe. But I'm sure it's the most profitable gig he has going. Roine always seemed up for more Transatlantic than the other guys, like, he couldn't wait to do The Whirlwind.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 09:35
Yeah, Roine has said something to the effect that touring the Whirlwind made him more money than all the Flower Kings tours combined.  Of course, since just about all those tours lost money, that's not surprising.

The album sales for TA have helped fund Flower Kings albums in the past, and probably have something to do with why a new one is being recorded now.  Roine funds all the Flower Kings activities and pays the other band members a salary for their time spent recording and touring.  Obviously Mike made more money with DT, and Pete with Marillion.  Not sure about Neal, though he doesn't have as many people involved with his solo albums, so that may help him make a bit more on those than Roine does on FK albums.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 12:18
Anyone heard anything about the new album? This is all I've found, from Neal's forum:

Originally posted by Neal Morse Neal Morse wrote:

Hi all,

I understand that there's some confusion  about why I am having auditions for new band members. I thought maybe I should make a statement so people can understand where i am coming from. The basic thing is that I get offers to do lots of different events and many times I can't do them because the costs are too high or people are not available. Having large bands like I had last year both in the US and Europe makes it rather cost prohibitive to do different events, particularly one-off events.

Also, my new album, "Momentum", is a bit pared down, It doesn't have a lot of strings or orchestration, so I was already thinking about putting a new band together that was smaller. So, I'm trying to put a band together that is more local and also where everybody can play this material and sing it. A killer 5 piece!

I love my Testimony 2 bands in the U.S. and Europe very much! What excellent musicians and great people! So, this is nothing against any of them, rather that I would be able to be more mobile and able to visit more places and do more concerts.

I hope you all understand and I hope that this hasn't hurt anyone. I don't mean to seem disloyal to anyone, I am just wanting to do something a little bit different this year.

God bless you all,
Neal
Sent from my iPhone

AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 14:50
Class. Enough said!
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2012 at 22:36
Looking forward to this power quintet as well as the members singing etc.
Desert_Storm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desert_Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 14:29
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

I don't know too much about it, but it seemed to me that in most interviews that I saw with Neal and Roine, there was a certain... "coldness"? between the two of them. Does anybody know what I mean? Maybe I'm seeing it completely wrong, but I was actually rather surprised that they continued to make albums and tour together, because in the interviews that I've seen, they didn't seem like two people who would like to work together too much.

Also I think with Neal it's always a risky thing to look into the future and predict what he's going to do. I've followed his activities for some time now, weren't we all surprised (himself included, according to his book) when he left both spocks and transatlantic? Surprised to see him return with a prog album only little time later? Rejoined Transatlantic?
He writes in his book that he never knows what he's going to do next, and asks God for counsel. He said he has nothing planned out, and is completely open for everything, even if it means to stop playing prog at all, or open a school for blind children, or writing a book (which he claims was a big surprise for him). I really hope that they're going to do another album together, and that I'll be finally able to see them live this time, but with Neal involved I wouldn't count on it ;)
"I want you to know that you and I... are not all that different. I mean, I, too, am a neat guy. And I, too, am just a love machine."
-Friends
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 15:43
well, i can't see transatlantic continuing if neal is not involved.  
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 15:54
 I really hope that they're going to do another album together, and that I'll be finally able to see them live this time, but with Neal involved I wouldn't count on it ;)
[/QUOTE]

If they record another album, there would be a tour, the question would be when...
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 11:23
I haven't noticed this "coldness" you speak of.  Roine is a very soft spoken guy most of the time, and not nearly as outgoing as Neal, so maybe that is what you saw?  I don't know, most of the bonus footage on the Whirld Tour DVD makes it seem like they all love working together.  Roine has said he enjoys working with Neal many times on the Flower Kings Yahoo group (I don't follow Neal at all, so I don't know what he has said, other than some interviews and the DVD bonus stuff).
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 12:04
Yeah also from watching the whirld tour documentary it's very hard to deny the strong chemistry between all the members.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2012 at 14:58
Roine is always trolling in Transatlantic footage.

There was an interview where someone asked him why he joined, if he was a fan of Dream theater or Marillion, and his response was "I've never listened to those bands, but I wanted to build a new studio, so I guess the reason was... money?"

And there was also the bit where he was explaining to Mike as he was drinking a Sprite, that if you take the e off of Sprite it says "Sprit" which is Swedish for alcohol.
Elan I View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elan I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2012 at 15:09
Replace Roine with Trevor Rabin, and you'll have the best prog band ever!!  and he is already rich, so he won't have to do it for the money!! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 45>