Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 05:30
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

See my review....Great music - can I have an instrumental version please.

When you decide to write a review and not a ramble of scathing ranting atheist abuse, we'll be sure to check out your review.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 05:32
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 04:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

When you decide to write a review and not a ramble of scathing ranting atheist abuse, we'll be sure to check out your review.

I thought it was quite succinct - and I don't consider myself atheist anymore than I am an aPixieist, adragonist etc
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 04:52
I gather you're being tongue-in-cheek there Barney. Your "review" was nothing more than your usual rant against Christianity which we've read now oh so many times. It wasn't particularly clever the first time around and even less now that you've decided to copycat yourself.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 04:55

I thought it was quite succinct - and I don't consider myself atheist anymore than I am an aPixieist, adragonist etc

No, not succinct.....same tired, dreary, abusive, insulting, tedious, aggressive one-track Barney as always.

Which is a shame, because you only let yourself down.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 05:16

No, not succinct.....same tired, dreary, abusive, insulting, tedious, aggressive one-track Barney as always.

Which is a shame, because you only let yourself down.

How ironic.....
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 05:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I gather you're being tongue-in-cheek there Barney. Your "review" was nothing more than your usual rant against Christianity which we've read now oh so many times. It wasn't particularly clever the first time around and even less now that you've decided to copycat yourself.
I wasn't trying to be clever, and I am not open to any flavour of god-delusion - so don't get your xtian hackles up - your religion isn't singled out anymore than it's not particularly important (as a belief system) - it just happens to be the morse god-delusion (he is an atheist! - since he doesn't believe in all but ONE god).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 05:27
I guess you are not interested in being here anymore - whatever boyo.
The broken record continues (only it will more than likely have to find another turntable to spin it's sh*t).

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:28
Keyboard warriors (sic)......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:35
Keyboard warriors??
You have been raving about the same sh*t for years now - then all of a sudden decide to post it as a review - immediately after posting comments inviting Neil Morse fans to check out you bashing his religion.
That to me spells out keyboard warrior. You've got an agenda and it has nothing to do about music.

- Douglas Adams
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 10:31
I don't agree with what Barney says in his review, nor with his rating of one star (!) for what I believe is one of Neal's best albums to date.

However I fail to understand why Barney continues to buy Neal Morse's albums when he knows he's going to be offended by the lyrics. Especially as he could listen to the whole thing on YouTube for free.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 12:03
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I don't agree with what Barney says in his review, nor with his rating of one star (!) for what I believe is one of Neal's best albums to date.
However I fail to understand why Barney continues to buy Neal Morse's albums when he knows he's going to be offended by the lyrics. Especially as he could listen to the whole thing on YouTube for free.
I always buy prog-rock CD's - I collect them - I have one wall of my office where I store them all - I have hundreds that I will never listen to again - but I will keep them none-the-less.
I had no choice to give the CD one-star as the lyrical content is (in my opinion) bloody-awful. There are plenty of one-star reviews out-there - go and harangue the compilers of those reviews in the interest of impartiality!
I would have liked to have the music minus they lyrics - that would be a win-win for me there (but alas)  I can't have everything can I?
I listened to "On we sail" by Samurai of prog and "The night Siren" by the master-of-guitars S. Hackett in the same sitting as my spinning the Morse CD - both are far superior I think but I expect a lot of people would disagree....C'est La Vie! 

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 09:01
wtf is wrong with the morons you`ve come across in your own lifetime seem to be talking gibberish upon you meeting them. what has this to do with the lyrics here well some of us get it and some of us don't...hello M27Barney great to hear from you... 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 08:11
Just putting this out there:

My top five artists ever are Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Neal Morse.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 08:05
So I'm listening to Neal's new album in the car this morning and it is a really good singer/songwriter album without an ounce of prog to be found so far.  Only a couple of references to religion so no turnoffs on that account.  The song He Died At Home might be about the saddest song Neal has ever written.  The lyrics are just so emotional. 

Edited by rushfan4 - February 21 2018 at 08:06
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 08:01
Tracking for the new Neal Morse Band LP has been delayed (according to Portnoy) because Neal got inspired and started adding stuff. So we're probably looking at early 2019. Mike also said we can expect a NMB tour to support this. He compared the new material to Sola Scriptura or Bridge Across Forever. That's exciting!!!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 09:16
I wonder if the comparison to Sola Scriptura and Bridge Across Forever relates to the musical style or the format of the album (as in two 30 minute songs, one 15 minute song and a short ballad).

I'm looking forward to seeing Neal in an acoustic show in July. Very pleased that he's coming to my home town of Leicester instead of just going to the major cities like London, Birmingham and Glasgow.
BillieJane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 06:02

I wonder if the comparison to Sola Scriptura and Bridge Across Forever relates to the musical style or the format of the album (as in two 30 minute songs, one 15 minute song and a short ballad).

I'm looking forward to seeing Neal in an acoustic show in July. Very pleased that he's coming to my home town of Leicester instead of just going to the major cities like London, Birmingham and Glasgow.

Is he?!
As a theology and prog rock PhD student - I should probably go to this, though Scotland better for me.
Anyone know if he has done many interviews about his conversion or written about it anywhere other than albums? I’m thinking about presenting a paper about him.
The thing which surprises me is how he felt he had to leave the band for religious reasons, but could still write good prog after... are these albums like Bob Dylan’s ‘conversion’ albums?
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 14:02

Saw Neal a week or so ago in a small venue in York and it was a very enjoyable, intimate show with a mix of newer acoustic tracks together with reworking of some classic solo and Spock's Beard tracks - The Doorway, Bridge Across Forever and Thoughts amongst them. Dave Bainbridge (Iona/Strawbs etc.) joined him on electric guitar towards the end, and Neal did some good loop tracking too. A knowledgeable and friendly prog audience and some good ale as well, and a train back home. Nice.......
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2018 at 12:16
Originally posted by BillieJane BillieJane wrote:

I

Is he?!
As a theology and prog rock PhD student - I should probably go to this, though Scotland better for me.
Anyone know if he has done many interviews about his conversion or written about it anywhere other than albums? I’m thinking about presenting a paper about him.

Sadly I had to miss the Leicester show due to having a chest infection :-(

To answer your question about whether Neal has written about his conversion - he wrote an autobiography a few years ago called Testimony. It's well worth reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 45>