Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 14:56
So now he decided to move straight to part 5 for Thoughts? LOL Also, that cover is just so amazing!
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:11
Umm I am psyched! Cover art is very cool. I may drive to Nashville for the show.

Btw-what's that thing portion is doing with Derek etc. ?
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:20
Originally posted by Morsenator Morsenator wrote:

So now he decided to move straight to part 5 for Thoughts? LOL Also, that cover is just so amazing!
What if he already wrote Thoughts Parts 3 & 4 on the new Spock's Beard album he was working on? Shocked
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

What if he already wrote Thoughts Parts 3 & 4 on the new Spock's Beard album he was working on? Shocked

Part 3 was co-written with brother Alan for the new Spock's Beard titled, "Thoughts Pt 3".

The fate of part 4 is currently unknown.

@ Zumacraig --- Mike Portnoy is playing with Derek Sherinian, Tony McAlpine (both of Planet X, and Derek from DT, of course), and Billy Sheehan (also from Planet X, and Racer X (?) ). They play instrumental stuff, lots of fusion like Billy Cobham and Jeff Beck, some Planet X stuff, and DT songs from when Derek was in the band, and some other stuff.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master of Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:42
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Part 3 was co-written with brother Alan for the new Spock's Beard titled, "Thoughts Pt 3".

Wow, I was just joking, I didn't know it was true. Now I'm really excited.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 19:46

I'm just wondering if there will be a part 4, I assume so. Maybe Neal named his own Part 5 so Spock's Beard can do a Part 4 on another album in the future.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 12:06

I'm just wondering if there will be a part 4, I assume so. Maybe Neal named his own Part 5 so Spock's Beard can do a Part 4 on another album in the future.

And what if, somewhere in the future, Neal joined Spock's live to perform all the parts 1-5? Tongue

HeadbangerWacko   Beer
Wacko

gerdtheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerdtheater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 23:10
This guy is GREAT! I am always surprised of his talent Smile Anyway, my top 10 favourite album list is:

1 The Whirlwind (TA)
2 Sola Scriptura (Solo)
3 Lifeline (Solo)
4 One (Solo)
5 V (SB)
6 Snow (SB)
7 ? (Solo)
8 Bridge Across Forever (TA)
9 The Light (SB)
10 The Kindness of Strangers (SB)

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.
Neil Peart
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

i will travel across the nation to see transatlantic this year or next!

from what i've read, portnoy says his drumming is some of his best on the new neal album.  i have a feeling it's gonna be a good one.  he's pretty much gotten all the born again stuff out...so, we'll see.

I don't think he's "gotten the born again stuff out".  My understanding is that you never do Wink

I expect the lyrics will be typical of his recent solo albums, and the track titles confirm this.

Still, really looking forward to the new album now, after the updates posted earlier!
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

from what i've read, portnoy says his drumming is some of his best on the new neal album.  i have a feeling it's gonna be a good one.  he's pretty much gotten all the born again stuff out...so, we'll see.

I don't think he's "gotten the born again stuff out".  My understanding is that you never do Wink

I expect the lyrics will be typical of his recent solo albums, and the track titles confirm this.

Still, really looking forward to the new album now, after the updates posted earlier!

After reading his autobiography one can truly see why he is so passionate and devoted to Christianity. 

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 21:40

you're probably right.  at least he has those worship music CDs where he can really let lose!
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 08:56
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

After reading his autobiography one can truly see why he is so passionate and devoted to Christianity. 

I respect that a great deal, even if I can't relate at all.  I'm glad he found what he was looking for, but I liked it better when his lyrics weren't about anything in particular (I read an interview with him from around the time of Kindness of Strangers, and he said the thing he loved about writing lyrics for prog songs was that he could just write random stuff and it all worked great).  I also liked his more "gritty" sounding vocals back in the early Spocks' days.

Still, I've loved just about everything he's done since his being "born again", so I'm not complaining.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2012 at 09:59
yeah, the old spock lyrics were just plain cool to me.  he still has some nuance in his christian lyrics.  
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 08:49
You know, it occurred to me that perhaps Thoughts Part 4 is for Transatlantic?
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 16:51

You know, it occurred to me that perhaps Thoughts Part 4 is for Transatlantic?

ah, good thinking.  so there is a rumored suite Thoughts 1-5?  i need to go back and look at track lists for the new SB and Momentum.  you're suggestion would be so cool!  i love when bands stretch a theme over several albums/projects.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 17:11
HA that would be cool. 
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2012 at 09:37
Finally got Snow, wow it's incredible. I love Morse!!!
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morsenator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2012 at 04:24
Originally posted by AlexDOM AlexDOM wrote:

Finally got Snow, wow it's incredible. I love Morse!!!

He's the Guy! Tongue

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:50
Seattle October 7th...EMP Level III 6pm
Momentum Tour
Got an email from StairwayPress.....got my tickets!! Gonna be another moster show for sure!

Here is the email and ticket info for us Seattleites

Hello, Jose. Didn't we have a great time last year with the Neal Morse Testimony II tour stop in Seattle? Well, we're doing it again!

Neal Morse, The Momentum Tour featuring Randy George and Mike Portnoy

Sunday Night, 6:00, October 7th, 2012

EMP Level III at the Seattle Center

General Admission Seating: $65

Here's where you can place your order:

https://www.stairwaypress.com/bookstore/neal-morse-momentum-tour-featuring-randy-george-and-mike-portnoy/

I've heard some of Momentum (release date: September 11, 2012) and it's the good stuff. There are some different sounds from Neal-and Randy and Mike play with power and finesse. This is going to a monster show.

So, shall we do it again? Spread the word!

I hope to see you there.

• Best regards
  • Ken Coffman
Publisher, Stairway Press
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 17:52
^ Makes me excited for "Momentum".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 45>