Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 09:43
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I thought Shine was OK but I'm hoping that the rest of the album is a lot proggier. Putting that song out as a taster for the album would have been like Neal advertising Momentum with Smoke and Mirrors.

I'll say it.......it's songs like Shine that made me seek out more interesting and adventurous music all those years ago.  Songs like this drove me away from popular music and to progressive rock.  It's generic, it's completely bland and it makes me wonder why they bothered.  It's not progressive in any way, shape, or form.  It's boring, dull, and completely uninteresting.  Roine's guitar soloing on it is far from his best, though I would agree it's the best part of a tepid and extremely lackluster tune.  It's not even remotely original, either (I know I've heard that exact opening guitar line before, I just can't quite place it.........Can't Find My Way Home by Traffic maybe).Anyway, I won't base a judgment of the album on this one track, but man was it as huge disappointment for me.  I should probably mention that I've enjoyed the other ballads they've done, which seem like absolute masterpieces in comparison (when in reality, they are just breathers on the albums........though We All Need Some Light is a great anthem and easily my favorite Morse ballad type tune).

I was looking forward to the first listening of the next TA CD I'm not too sure now though....Did You REALLY study the bible at university? I used to swim with a geezer who used to be a priest in the Vatican for 15 years - he was studying theology at university - we didn't see eye to eye really - he genuinely believed that Darwin was controlled by demons when he wrote "The origin of species" just as he believed that every person who denied Christ was controlled by the very same host of demons that Satan had on his payroll.....Nice harmless bloke all the same though.....He never tried to exorcise me or anything....I was always wary when he went into his swimming bag - first sight of those knives used in the omen and I would have been legging it
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 11:11
Originally posted by Crumple Crumple wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

If you have read Dawkins, then his books certainly DO NOT expound a world of no morality. He scientifically reports on the FACT! that all life are merely machines (Phenotypes) created over a long time by natural selection of specific successful gene's to transport those successful genes into the next generation. The fact that suffering is almost universal in the struggle for the gene transport does not mean that homo sapiens - with the largest and most sophisticated brain cannot make moral judgements because he doesn't believe in a sky fairy - you have just regurgitated the anti-atheist/pro-theist dogma that religious dicks always do - and you lose the argument because you mentioned the Nazis! The Nazi's anti-Semitism had it's roots in Christianity anyway if you read your theology properly.
RANT OVER!

you've added nothing new to the conversation but a few points to address before (hopefully) ending this whole thing 

- You are regurgitating anti-theist dogma.  It cuts both ways and you have no higher ground.

- Sky fairy.  Fair enough.  however - at least realize that what you purport to believe can also be labeled a fairy tale.  "Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away and billions and billions of years ago there existed matter, and energy and so on and so forth etc etc."  again, you have no higher ground.

- Nazism is a serious and sobering subject.  It really shouldn't be handled on a prog message board.  My bad for mentioning the monsters name I suppose, but if others can label Christianity as "dangerous" repeatedly it's worth mentioning, I think, that we have seen what is possible when an atheistic worldview is ascribed to. Rather than debate Hitler's origins, simply look at Stalin.  

If you want to know what the actual church was up to as Hitler rose to power, study the life of Frederick Bonhoeffer.

All I ever set out to do here was refute blanket assertions made by others belittling and attacking Neal Morse's faith.  
As long as you (and others) keep asserting them, I will keep refuting them and pointing out the hypocrisy in what you (and others) say.  But I do want the conversation to end because I don't think it has any profit left in it.

You've not convinced anyone that wasn't already convinced (I, as I said before, have no problem personally with Neal's beliefs or anyone else's.......I just don't share them).  Zuma and Barney are just banging their heads against the solid brick wall of your unquestioned beliefs.  No need to continue further.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 11:15

Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

I thought Shine was OK but I'm hoping that the rest of the album is a lot proggier. Putting that song out as a taster for the album would have been like Neal advertising Momentum with Smoke and Mirrors.

I'll say it.......it's songs like Shine that made me seek out more interesting and adventurous music all those years ago.  Songs like this drove me away from popular music and to progressive rock.  It's generic, it's completely bland and it makes me wonder why they bothered.  It's not progressive in any way, shape, or form.  It's boring, dull, and completely uninteresting.  Roine's guitar soloing on it is far from his best, though I would agree it's the best part of a tepid and extremely lackluster tune.  It's not even remotely original, either (I know I've heard that exact opening guitar line before, I just can't quite place it.........Can't Find My Way Home by Traffic maybe).Anyway, I won't base a judgment of the album on this one track, but man was it as huge disappointment for me.  I should probably mention that I've enjoyed the other ballads they've done, which seem like absolute masterpieces in comparison (when in reality, they are just breathers on the albums........though We All Need Some Light is a great anthem and easily my favorite Morse ballad type tune).

I was looking forward to the first listening of the next TA CD I'm not too sure now though....Did You REALLY study the bible at university? I used to swim with a geezer who used to be a priest in the Vatican for 15 years - he was studying theology at university - we didn't see eye to eye really - he genuinely believed that Darwin was controlled by demons when he wrote "The origin of species" just as he believed that every person who denied Christ was controlled by the very same host of demons that Satan had on his payroll.....Nice harmless bloke all the same though.....He never tried to exorcise me or anything....I was always wary when he went into his swimming bag - first sight of those knives used in the omen and I would have been legging it

Yes, I have a bachelor of the arts degree in Religious Studies from Penn State University.  I studied more than just the bible, but that was the focus of most of my coursework (aside from the basic required classes I had to take to graduate, of course).  I found it very interesting and I was searching for meaning in life at the time as well.  I didn't find it in religion, needless to say, but I did find it and those studies (particularly Philosophy classes I took, along with writing and poetry and, of course music) did help with this I think.  To paraphrase a friend of mine, I keep my mind as open as possible.....but not so open my brains fall out  Wink

As to TA, I don't want to discourage anyone, I just had to state my opinion of that song that has been released via the video.  I'm probably still going to pick up the album, in the hope that that track is not characteristic of the album as a whole (I'm assuming that is the obligatory ballad and that the rest is actual prog music......we'll see).

Edited by infandous - December 04 2013 at 11:18
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:08

You've not convinced anyone that wasn't already convinced (I, as I said before, have no problem personally with Neal's beliefs or anyone else's.......I just don't share them).  Zuma and Barney are just banging their heads against the solid brick wall of your unquestioned beliefs.  No need to continue further.

I don't understand why you say my beliefs are unquestioned.  I never said that.  Several things are being attributed to me now that are simply not what I said.  

Anyway - I happen to agree with you 100% on one thing.  Shine is not an interesting song to me.  it's fine and all but more adult contemporary music, which bores me.

Portnoy has been working with WInery Dogs who I think are fantastic for what they are...70s era blues based rock and roll.  he made a conscious effort to get back to that 4 beat rock style and away from prog...which is fine.  But I hope it does not influence Kaleidoscope too much!

I want prog!  And I want those Portnoy drums at full force.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:22
Aye - I have no personal beef with anybody who wants to believe anything they want. If the guy next door lit a bonfire on the back lawn on the 22nd December and he and his wife danced round it naked and even felt they had to "consummate" the event. I wouldn't care less a s long as he didn't use my fence as fire-wood!!! However, Christianity and the like are full of stupid rules that the supposed Master of the universe seems keen to enforce - nearly all of those are to do with sex and the sexual power of women in particular. Religious people spend so much time worrying about what other people are up to! Forget the rules - enjoy life and embrace the whole human race, not just the people who you think are part of your in-group gods chosen people....
In fact the naked dance round the solstice fire sounds like a good idea...I hope it isn't too frosty....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 12:50

I don't understand why you say my beliefs are unquestioned.  I never said that.  Several things are being attributed to me now that are simply not what I said.  

Anyway - I happen to agree with you 100% on one thing.  Shine is not an interesting song to me.  it's fine and all but more adult contemporary music, which bores me.

Portnoy has been working with WInery Dogs who I think are fantastic for what they are...70s era blues based rock and roll.  he made a conscious effort to get back to that 4 beat rock style and away from prog...which is fine.  But I hope it does not influence Kaleidoscope too much!

I want prog!  And I want those Portnoy drums at full force.

Yeah, we agree on all of the music related comments above, though I haven't heard any Winery Dogs.  Sheehan's involvement did pique my interest, but your description of them makes me unsure if I'm interested.  I'll have to check out some tracks.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 14:30

Aye - I have no personal beef with anybody who wants to believe anything they want. If the guy next door lit a bonfire on the back lawn on the 22nd December and he and his wife danced round it naked and even felt they had to "consummate" the event. I wouldn't care less a s long as he didn't use my fence as fire-wood!!! However, Christianity and the like are full of stupid rules that the supposed Master of the universe seems keen to enforce - nearly all of those are to do with sex and the sexual power of women in particular. Religious people spend so much time worrying about what other people are up to! Forget the rules - enjoy life and embrace the whole human race, not just the people who you think are part of your in-group gods chosen people....
In fact the naked dance round the solstice fire sounds like a good idea...I hope it isn't too frosty....

This is where I differ from you and the great Infandous.  I used to be a live and let live kind of guy, but this post modernism gone awry society we live in where all opinions are deemed equal is a dead end.  It's precisely unexamined beliefs and lack of critical thought that have left the world as it is.  Ironically, it is those who profess belief in some god or ideology that must be dealt with.  We have to make people accountable for their beliefs when the reify them.  This can be part of taking seriously the great discovery of post-modernism, that all is socially constructed.  Unfortunately, these constructs still have causal power.  That's how we get people claiming belief in a loving God while completely acquiescing to war and capitalism.  Fortunately, we can re-construct our world to end suffering, delusion and actually deal with the stuff that leads us to irrational beliefs in the first place.

Done...maybe.  Wink
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 15:40
It would be interesting to see if Morse will ever grow out his hair long like during the early Spock years! Don't think that's going to happen, but would be kinda cool ha ha.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 06:22
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

This is where I differ from you and the great Infandous.  I used to be a live and let live kind of guy, but this post modernism gone awry society we live in where all opinions are deemed equal is a dead end.  It's precisely unexamined beliefs and lack of critical thought that have left the world as it is.  Ironically, it is those who profess belief in some god or ideology that must be dealt with.  We have to make people accountable for their beliefs when the reify them.  This can be part of taking seriously the great discovery of post-modernism, that all is socially constructed.  Unfortunately, these constructs still have causal power.  That's how we get people claiming belief in a loving God while completely acquiescing to war and capitalism.  Fortunately, we can re-construct our world to end suffering, delusion and actually deal with the stuff that leads us to irrational beliefs in the first place.
Done...maybe.  Wink

I don't think that all ideas have equal merit, far from it! I hate post-modernism and all that woolly thinking - All I was suggesting was that if somebody wants to do something that doesn't cause any actual physical harm (Like dancing naked round a bonfire) to anybody else then I (as a liberal humanist) don't have the right to prevent them from doing it. It is ludicrous that the jewish/muslim faith's are allowed to chop the foreskins off children - the removal of the foreskin in children should only be done for medical reasons - and when the man is 18 - he can then choose to have it chopped off - just as is free to have a spider-web tattooed on his face (I know a geezer who has such a tattoo). Also bacon butties are very nice and nobody should be prevented from eating them by some rule set down by some ignorant old men thousands of years ago...
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 08:31
@Barney - Just wanted to point out that Jesus Christ HATED religion. He railed against it, flaunted it's rules, and generally made a nuisance of himself while insulting religious types. To the point that on more than one occasion they decided to just kill him then and there (you, know, before they actually did kill him).

He and his followers were the bonfire dancers of their day.

And IMO, we all need to spend more time dancing around bonfires, both literally and metaphorically.

@zumacraig - agree somewhat with what you've posted. we need egalitarianism when it comes to PEOPLE, and we need elitism when it comes to OPINIONS/IDEAS and instead, many times - and certainly with ideas - we have exactly the reverse.

Edited by Crumple - December 05 2013 at 08:33
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 09:30
Not all "prog" bands record 100% "prog" music 100% of the time. Its about the music and not a label that is subjective anyway......Calling something prog is an opinion, depending on what you consider is prog. I am sure there is plenty of music people listen to on this site that is not considered prog.....Just look at the thread on What You Are Listening to.
Seems to me not liking a song because it is not "prog" can limit your exposure to good music.

IMO......I like shine
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 09:40
What's the general feeling around here about Portnoy?

I like Transatlantic better than Dream Theater actually. Flying Colors is alright also but not my favorite.

I happen to LOVE Winery Dogs.

I've seen here and there that Portnoy gets criticized for quitting DT...is he sort of a punching bag among the prog community?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:13

@Barney - Just wanted to point out that Jesus Christ HATED religion. He railed against it, flaunted it's rules, and generally made a nuisance of himself while insulting religious types. To the point that on more than one occasion they decided to just kill him then and there (you, know, before they actually did kill him).

He and his followers were the bonfire dancers of their day.

And IMO, we all need to spend more time dancing around bonfires, both literally and metaphorically.

@zumacraig - agree somewhat with what you've posted. we need egalitarianism when it comes to PEOPLE, and we need elitism when it comes to OPINIONS/IDEAS and instead, many times - and certainly with ideas - we have exactly the reverse.

Hm. well if there was a historically confirmed person as Jesus (unlike Mohammed who genuinely existed, Jesus could well have been mythical, there is a helluva lot of evidence to suggest that Jesus/Mithras/Dionysus are all the same mythical man who was put to death by crucifixion) - then he would have been (as the wonder full life of Brian Portrays) a beat-nick soothsayer, causing trouble for the ruling romans. But if he existed then it is as plain as the nose on my face that he was a man born of a woman, and in no way the son of some sky-fairy who thinks that it would be a good idea (after six million years of evolution) that homo sapiens should be saved from "original sin" by letting his son die..so that his followers get to live after their death. I admit it's a good story, but that is all it is. I was dead for 14.7 billion years before I was born and as such will be dead after my death until the heat-death of the universe....Anybody who believes in life-after-death is just fearing the reaper...it's comforting to think that loved-ones who have died, somehow live on in everlasting glory - but alas - it's plainly all made up so some misogynistic old men can control the gullible masses. The bible/Quran have nothing in them that wasn't known at the time of their writing - if they were truly the words of the creator of all - then he should have put in some mathematical truisms like a fecking big prime number that he calculated using his god-computer....No the bible is full of localised tribal brutality and some fairly banal pub-lounge philosophy!
All children should be reading "The origin of species" or "Brief history of time" - forget the fourth century dogma...we are now in the 21st century !!!

Edited by M27Barney - December 05 2013 at 11:15
Crumple View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crumple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:40

Hm. well if there was a historically confirmed person as Jesus (unlike Mohammed who genuinely existed, Jesus could well have been mythical, there is a helluva lot of evidence to suggest that Jesus/Mithras/Dionysus are all the same mythical man who was put to death by crucifixion) - then he would have been (as the wonder full life of Brian Portrays) a beat-nick soothsayer, causing trouble for the ruling romans. But if he existed then it is as plain as the nose on my face that he was a man born of a woman, and in no way the son of some sky-fairy who thinks that it would be a good idea (after six million years of evolution) that homo sapiens should be saved from "original sin" by letting his son die..so that his followers get to live after their death. I admit it's a good story, but that is all it is. I was dead for 14.7 billion years before I was born and as such will be dead after my death until the heat-death of the universe....Anybody who believes in life-after-death is just fearing the reaper...it's comforting to think that loved-ones who have died, somehow live on in everlasting glory - but alas - it's plainly all made up so some misogynistic old men can control the gullible masses. The bible/Quran have nothing in them that wasn't known at the time of their writing - if they were truly the words of the creator of all - then he should have put in some mathematical truisms like a fecking big prime number that he calculated using his god-computer....No the bible is full of localised tribal brutality and some fairly banal pub-lounge philosophy!
All children should be reading "The origin of species" or "Brief history of time" - forget the fourth century dogma...we are now in the 21st century !!!

all rubbish

but I do admit, and I mean this sincerely, that's a quality rant. well done.

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zumacraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:42
Pub Lounge Philosophy...now that is an album title!

I like Portnoy's drumming and he's a gifted arranger.  He's definitely Morse's secret weapon.  People seem divided in opinion of him.  Some hate him and others love him.  He's a big personality. Some days I prefer DT while others I prefer TA.  I'd like to see Portnoy pull together some unknow virtuosos and form a proper prog band rather than him doing all these random projects.  Winery Dogs are okay.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Pub Lounge Philosophy...now that is an album title!

I like Portnoy's drumming and he's a gifted arranger.  He's definitely Morse's secret weapon.  People seem divided in opinion of him.  Some hate him and others love him.  He's a big personality. Some days I prefer DT while others I prefer TA.  I'd like to see Portnoy pull together some unknow virtuosos and form a proper prog band rather than him doing all these random projects.  Winery Dogs are okay.

I think his drumming is sublime...and he has been part of a lot of quality prog too !!!
I liked the use of "Pub Lounge Philosophy" too....I like to prop myself up at the bar in my local - opposite to the other bar where, yesterday the Philosophers were discussing....Viagra !!! Twas very entertaining and most of it was as made-up as the bible
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 15:23
I think Portnoy is a fantastic drummer and a real character too.

I'm not a fan of Dream Theatre because I'm not really into heavy rock, but I love his work with Morse, Transatlantic and Flying Colors.
AlexDOM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexDOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 17:05
I respect Portnoy for believing in Neal and embarking with  Neal on his solo journey starting in 2003. Neal's autobiography Testimony goes into much detail of this.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 17:18
I've always thought that Neal's overall writing style goes hand-in-hand with Portnoy's bombastic playing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 09:19
I really like Portnoy.....Especially with NM and TA. The Momentum tour he just was having a ball playing with NM, in my live review I mentioned it just looked like he was having so much fun. It really showed in his playing, there was passion and much feeling, similar to what I hear when I listen to early DT.

Maybe it is the NY attitude that people do not like, but I am fine with all of it. As far as DT, I much prefer him there than Mangini. Portnoy is a much better writer, arranger and producer.....something the last two albums are missing in spots. His playing just adds more sparkle, along with Gavin Harrison, I think Portnoy is one of the better drummers at using his cymbals to add flaver to music.

I too enjoy Winery Dogs, much more than Adrenalin Mob (that was bad). I would love another dose of Liquid Tension Experiment...the drumming on those albums is really intense and excellent. I guess I just don't see he, Rudess and Petrucci doing that again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 45>