Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:54
Neal have been busy lately.  Sola Gratia, Cov3r to Cov3r, Flying Colors' 3rd Stage Live in London; Hope and a Future (free download sampler on his website); Live at BRNO with the Neal Morse band; and he just had Morsefest this past weekend, so I imagine that recordings of that will be released shortly. 

Edited by rushfan4 - September 23 2020 at 07:54
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 08:59
Sola Gratia is amazing!!! Why isn't it rated higher, people? It has everything one could ask for in a Prog album. The songs are great and the album flows brilliantly. Oh well. Different strokes but it will land very high up on my year end list. Trust that!!!
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Still hoping for new Transatlantic, all other Neal Morse projects I'm not interested in.

Yes a new album would be awesome my I ask you why you don`t rate Neal`s other projects!
Tough to answer because I enjoy him a lot. I suppose he has so much on the stove cooking all the time, quantity over quality is my fear.
I don't care for any of his Covers issues, I can't stand the Beatles and he and Portnoy worship the ground they walk on. Literally I believe they would both eat out of McCarney's toilet before its flushed.

NMB stuff just takes a lot of time to absorb and before its done he releases another project......I need to order the new Sola Gratia album, but I am really looking forward to the new Transatlantic.....I understand that is being mixed now so hopefully by year end.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Sola Gratia is amazing!!! Why isn't it rated higher, people? It has everything one could ask for in a Prog album. The songs are great and the album flows brilliantly. Oh well. Different strokes but it will land very high up on my year end list. Trust that!!!
I have it playing in the car giving it a first listen. I'm about 10 songs in.  I will likely finish it up tonight.  First impressions are that it is more of the same from him.  Lots of song about God and whatnot.  Looking forward to future listens and seeing if it grows on me with more familiarity.

I have the first and third cover albums and enjoy them.  They are mostly covers held true to the originals but I am generally fine with those.  On the latest, they cover Yes (with Jon Davison singing); Jethro Tull; King Crimson; Badfinger; Tom Petty; and more.  I've listen to this one a few times now and think that they do a good job on their covers.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:13
I just ordered Sola........have not heard any of it. Should see it in a week or so.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 13:41

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Still hoping for new Transatlantic, all other Neal Morse projects I'm not interested in.

Yes a new album would be awesome my I ask you why you don`t rate Neal`s other projects!

Tough to answer because I enjoy him a lot. I suppose he has so much on the stove cooking all the time, quantity over quality is my fear.
I don't care for any of his Covers issues, I can't stand the Beatles and he and Portnoy worship the ground they walk on. Literally I believe they would both eat out of McCarney's toilet before its flushed.

NMB stuff just takes a lot of time to absorb and before its done he releases another project......I need to order the new Sola Gratia album, but I am really looking forward to the new Transatlantic.....I understand that is being mixed now so hopefully by year end.

I like Neal’s Solo, Beard and Transatlantic albums like. You don’t like the covers albums, but i do like the Fab 4!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Biff Tannen View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biff Tannen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2020 at 09:40

As a huge Neal fan, I like Sola Gratia, but it feels a bit too much like Neal repeating himself.  I do think songs like Overflow, Never Change and Seemingly Sincere are a bit different, and not coincidentally those are the standouts, but everything else has that "been there, done that" feel to it, and not just been done, but been done much better by Neal himself.   I don't dislike the album, mind you.  I like it, but I don't love it.  It had a very short shelf life in my CD player, which is in stark contrast to (Neal or Neal-related) CD's like The Similitude of a Dream, SMPTe, ?, One, The Whirlwind and Testimony 2, all of which dominated my CD player for many, many months. Sola Gratia is barely 2 months old and was already out of my rotation over a month ago.

Edited by Biff Tannen - November 08 2020 at 09:40
"What are you looking at, butthead?"
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 07:38
The new Transatlantic song sounds really good though...
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 09:16

The new Transatlantic song sounds really good though...
I agree. I'm not usually one for listening to early releases but this one has been showing up on my YT recently uploaded menu, so I checked it out.
Also listened to Ross Jenning's interview of Portnoy, did not know Ross had Covid and is in recovery now. Definitely can tell he is not himself on the interview. Portnoy was his usual self, very upbeat and praising the TA band efforts on the new album, he also explained the reasons behind the different versions which are actually different mixes so might be difficult to understand unless you get all versions.
I already preordered the Forevermore Extended version 3LP/2CD set.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 09:18
Originally posted by Biff Tannen Biff Tannen wrote:

As a huge Neal fan, I like Sola Gratia, but it feels a bit too much like Neal repeating himself.  I do think songs like Overflow, Never Change and Seemingly Sincere are a bit different, and not coincidentally those are the standouts, but everything else has that "been there, done that" feel to it, and not just been done, but been done much better by Neal himself.   I don't dislike the album, mind you.  I like it, but I don't love it.  It had a very short shelf life in my CD player, which is in stark contrast to (Neal or Neal-related) CD's like The Similitude of a Dream, SMPTe, ?, One, The Whirlwind and Testimony 2, all of which dominated my CD player for many, many months. Sola Gratia is barely 2 months old and was already out of my rotation over a month ago.

Kinda same for me on Sola Gratia, I actually like it well just forgot I had it......
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 11:06
I'm kind of a Neal critical person in the first place, but yeah Sola Gratia was one of his most underwhelming and Neal-Morse-by-numbers albums. I swear that album is a good 25% reprises, he reuses that main riff incessantly. The new Transatlantic teaser implies that this new TA album is also going to be more of the same. Of course Prog Report has a field day with anything with the names "Neal Morse" and "Mike Portnoy" attached 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 11:11
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I'm kind of a Neal critical person in the first place, but yeah Sola Gratia was one of his most underwhelming and Neal-Morse-by-numbers albums. I swear that album is a good 25% reprises, he reuses that main riff incessantly. The new Transatlantic teaser implies that this new TA album is also going to be more of the same. Of course Prog Report has a field day with anything with the names "Neal Morse" and "Mike Portnoy" attached 

underwhelming, good choice of word, I agree. 
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 11:18
Yeah I agree, I'm a huge Neal Morse fan but Sola Gratia and the preceding musical didn't do much for me. I am optimistic though for the new Transatlantic album... Hopefully it will approach expectations and not underwhelm, as you say. It seems that at this stage Neal's music is at its best when tempered by other writers, like in the Neal Morse Band and--presumably and hopefully--Transatlantic.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 09:04
I will fight for Sola Gratia. It's terrific.
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2020 at 09:57

I will fight for Sola Gratia. It's terrific.
I spun it again the other day, like I said I do like it.......Has more of that throwback feel to it than say Similitude does.
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2021 at 04:51
Beyond the Years is one of the best epics Neal Morse et al. have crafted and played. It alone justifies their latest's purchase.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 07:58
What happens when Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Big Big Train and Haken collide?

D'Virgilio, Morse and Jennings!!! Spring 2022!!!
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 12:33

What happens when Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Big Big Train and Haken collide?

D'Virgilio, Morse and Jennings!!! Spring 2022!!!

Yea I saw that.....Sounds really interesting, especially with Ross's vocals which I really like.
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2021 at 17:29
The new Troika album certainly has possibilities.  Imagine the three of them doing a rendition of the Cockroach King?  That would sound amazing and fun! 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2023 at 10:17
I wanted to check out Neal's streaming service Waterfall because it streams material not available anywhere else like the Full Moon Rising Demo or some early SB tracks both studio and live, but the thing is the system doesn't support Paypal or currencies that aren't USD! What a shame. Such a POS! :( Fuсk Neal Morse. :p
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 434445