Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 22:10
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

I don't like him very much. . . . I don't know, maybe it is the content of his lyric, meybe it is how he progress his songs. . .

Anyway, not a big fan of the guy either solo or in SB.

That's too bad........maybe one day you will give him another try.

Also someone will probably remind you that this is the Neal Morse Appreciation Thread...Wink LOL

Have a great day!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 22:11

I don't like him very much. . . . I don't know, maybe it is the content of his lyric, meybe it is how he progress his songs. . .

Anyway, not a big fan of the guy either solo or in SB.

Well, thank you for your time. We'll call you if we need you
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 22:54
I like him very much, I just don't like his music.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 09:04
Caio we miss you at the shred.
Even if you are a very cautious version of your former self.
Just no pr0n please WinkLOL
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:11

Are you saying there should be a Neal Morse thread in general discussions? Wink
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:47
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I don't see why not, he's hot as hell.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 13:48
I have been on the craziest Neal Morse kick lately. Testimony 2 got me back in a giant NM mood and in the last week Ive listened to The Light, Testimony 2 (about 6-7 times), The Kindness of Strangers, Testimony 1 (2nd disc), One; now I'm on ? and I'm thinking of listening to more soon Cool Probably V next.

I'm also thinking of getting Snow today at my local record store. I have 12 other NM-related albums, but not that. Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 17:43

Caio....there was a guy at the show Friday night that travelled all the way from Brasil to Seattle just to attend the show.

Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 16:52
I too am loving Testimony 2.  I saw his show in Nashville and am still in awe.  I'd rank his solo prog albums like this:

1. One
2. ?
3. Testimony 2
4. Sola Scriptura
5. Testimony
6. Lifeline

Transatlantic:
1. The Whirlwind
2. SMPT:e
3. Bridge Across Forever

Spock's Beard:
1. Snow
2. V
3. Beware of Darkness
4. The Kindness of Strangers
5. The Light
6. Day For Night

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:55
New to this thread.  I have yet to hear the first Testimony, but have all his other post Spock's solo releases (never heard the two he did while still in Spock's) as well as all the Spock's albums which are pretty much Neal Morse albums anyway since he wrote 98% of the music on them (okay, to be fair, the other band members have distinctive playing styles and Neal's solo stuff doesn't sound exactly the same).

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just get them both?  Amazon has them and I can get both for just over $30.  Who am I kidding, I'll get both Big smile  Anyway, question is, how does Testimony stack up to his the solo albums?

My ranking of them, in order:

Sola Scriptura (absolutely love this album)
Question mark (again, absolutely love this album)
One (not a great album, in my opinion, but some very good stuff on it)
Lifeline (a couple of the shorter tracks do not work for me at all, and the epic just doesn't seem up to his usual standards........title track is fantastic though)

Anyway, also love his work with Transatlantic.  My favorite album of the Beard with him is V.

So with that in mind how does Testimony stack up?  Or Testimony 2 for that matter?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:27
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

New to this thread.  I have yet to hear the first Testimony, but have all his other post Spock's solo releases (never heard the two he did while still in Spock's) as well as all the Spock's albums which are pretty much Neal Morse albums anyway since he wrote 98% of the music on them (okay, to be fair, the other band members have distinctive playing styles and Neal's solo stuff doesn't sound exactly the same).

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should just get them both?  Amazon has them and I can get both for just over $30.  Who am I kidding, I'll get both Big smile  Anyway, question is, how does Testimony stack up to his the solo albums?

My ranking of them, in order:

Sola Scriptura (absolutely love this album)
Question mark (again, absolutely love this album)
One (not a great album, in my opinion, but some very good stuff on it)
Lifeline (a couple of the shorter tracks do not work for me at all, and the epic just doesn't seem up to his usual standards........title track is fantastic though)

Anyway, also love his work with Transatlantic.  My favorite album of the Beard with him is V.

So with that in mind how does Testimony stack up?  Or Testimony 2 for that matter?

I think you'll like Testimony 2 more than Testimony 1, since the composition style is more like his later solo albums, mixed with some old school Spock's Beard stuff. Thing is, a lot of stuff on T2 is reprised from T1, so you're going to want to get both anyway.

I like T2 more than T1 also
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 11:36
^ I was gonna say the same thing......I think to appreciate T2 better, you should listen to Testimony. The song structure and overall feel of Testimony enhances T2.
I do think T2 is an easier listen than Testimony, the message is very clear.
Both are excellent but Testimony 2 is brilliant!

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 12:11
Thanks guys.  As I said, I will get them both regardless, but I wanted to get some opinions on how they compare to his other solo stuff.  I actually steered clear of Testimony originally because of the subject matter, but I've found that it really doesn't bother me at all on his other albums (for the most part.......I really do wish he'd find some other subject matter for lyrics though......I really don't see that being a Christian requires one to write only about God and Jesus and nothing else........Glass Hammer manage to write about other things, for instance).
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garion81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 18:39
Just saw Neal last Saturday night in Whittier, Ca.  This was my third time seeing Neal solo and also saw him last year with TA (never saw him in SB).  My thoughts were this while this is the best solo show he has done but it was below the TA show and even the Spock's Beard show (without him) I saw last year. 

The biggest difference to me over the other solo shows was George and Portnoy.  Mike was just on the music and Randy is tremendous bass player how wrote these bass lines or at the very least developed them from Neal's original bass lines. This was the fourth time I have seen Portnoy (none with DT) and it was the best. He absolutely blew this show into another level and I don't think it would have worked as well without him and Randy.  Mike and Neal have a special chemistry together.   As for the new album I like it but there are parts towards the end that fall short of earlier movements including the last piece. Actually live at the concert I thought the best material was the Sola Scriptora medley they did but overall it is still a great piece of music.  Sometimes I wish these guys instead of throwing everything and the kitchen sink on these CDs would maybe take a few ideas and set them aside for another day and develop what is best on the CD. I think the reason why is that fans have come to expect that but still the album could be truly fantastic. Of course then we would all be complianing about how short it was. LOL

Oh one other album I didn't see mentioned that Neal sang on was Jordan Rudess The Road Home Neal sings Dance on a Volcano.   You should also get his new book. 

Edited by Garion81 - June 03 2011 at 18:40

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 19:18

Thanks guys.  As I said, I will get them both regardless, but I wanted to get some opinions on how they compare to his other solo stuff.  I actually steered clear of Testimony originally because of the subject matter, but I've found that it really doesn't bother me at all on his other albums (for the most part.......I really do wish he'd find some other subject matter for lyrics though......I really don't see that being a Christian requires one to write only about God and Jesus and nothing else........Glass Hammer manage to write about other things, for instance).

The God/Jesus issue is an easy thing to pick on, although both albums deal with Neal's pre Christian discovery (born again Christian). It actually deals more with his personal struggles of life on the road, away from his family and the common faults all musicians fall into which is usually drinking, and probably other stuff.
Its not so much that he is writing religious music, that just happens to be what brought him "back to life". And he feels compelled to tell his story within two albums.
T2 actually describes more the struggles of his decision to leave Spocks......All of this stuff does though center around him finding God and his new found purpose in life.

Being Catholic myself, I understand it but I will say it does not make me like the music any better (or worse).......Its the main topic, that's all.

What I enjoy is that the music, lyrics come from the heart, and maybe a deeper place than usual......and I just feel it shows...regardless of the reason.
And boy does it show on stage live.....powerful performance for sure last week in Seattle! Neal is passionate about his music.
That's what I like......

Enjoy it.
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 19:49

I love Testimony.  It was the album that introduced me to Neal Morse, who is now my favorite musician.  Testimony is probably the lightest (hardness-wise) of all of Neal's solo prog albums, and has a little of just about everything.  Having said that, it's not in the class of One, ? and Testimony 2 (in my opinion).  Musically, Testimony 2 is fantastic.  While I've resisted doing so unitl now, I'll probably give it a 5-star rating once I finally get around to reviewing it.  It's really that good.

I've only seen Neal in concert twice now, with this tour and last year on the TA Whirld Tour.  Being a huge Pain of Salvation fan, it was so special seeing two of my favorite musicians on the stage together in Chicago and that TA show was probably the most rewarding concert experience I've ever enjoyed.  Testimony 2 was a close second though and probably would have surpassed the TA show if there hadn't been as many sound issues at the Nashville venue.

Regardless, Neal is an incredible performer.  If you ever have the chance to see him...do it.  I can't imagine you regretting it.  His Seeds of Gold guitar solo was one of the most moving guitar solos I've ever seen live.  Just brilliant.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 09:09
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The God/Jesus issue is an easy thing to pick on, although both albums deal with Neal's pre Christian discovery (born again Christian). It actually deals more with his personal struggles of life on the road, away from his family and the common faults all musicians fall into which is usually drinking, and probably other stuff.
Its not so much that he is writing religious music, that just happens to be what brought him "back to life". And he feels compelled to tell his story within two albums.
T2 actually describes more the struggles of his decision to leave Spocks......All of this stuff does though center around him finding God and his new found purpose in life.

Being Catholic myself, I understand it but I will say it does not make me like the music any better (or worse).......Its the main topic, that's all.

What I enjoy is that the music, lyrics come from the heart, and maybe a deeper place than usual......and I just feel it shows...regardless of the reason.
And boy does it show on stage live.....powerful performance for sure last week in Seattle! Neal is passionate about his music.
That's what I like......

Enjoy it.

Well, I'm not a Christian of any stripe, but I grew up going to church every Sunday so it's not completely alien to me.  I think I've said elsewhere that I completely respect Neal for wanting to write about what moves him and I agree with you that it is obvious when listening to the music that he is passionate about it.  I just would love to hear him change it up a bit, lyrics wise.  Still, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment, and I appreciate the uplifting nature of most of the lyrics.  I just find the repetition tiring after a while.  It won't stop me from listening though, as the music is nearly always wonderful.

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 09:14
Okay, so I've ordered both Testimonies to complete my Neal discography (I probably won't ever bother with his first two solo albums, and certainly not the worship stuff, but when I get these I'll have all his other officially released studio stuff).  Big smile

My favorite is still Sola Scriptura by far, as that seems like the best mixture of Spock's, solo Neal, and Transatlantic type of music out of all he has done.  I just find the melodies and instrumental sections to be unsurpassed in his catalog.  Though, like most of his stuff, it isn't ground breaking or outside of his usual "formula", but man do I love that formula.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 16:15
^ That's cool! I totally agree, what keeps me focused is the Transatlantic, symphonic prog feel of his music, I love those instrumental passages also.

I am looking forward to what he does next.....I have a feeling it will be another Transatlantic project before a new solo project....and that is fine by me.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 17:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Caio....there was a guy at the show Friday night that travelled all the way from Brasil to Seattle just to attend the show.

I'm sure of it. Since you guys won't come to Brasil, we'll come to you. LOL There is at least one group of Brasilians in every big show out there. I believe that in DT's Score DVD there is a visible flag somewhere on the crowd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>