Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New Neal Morse Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 18:27
^ This is true....Although I met the guy and he is interested in moving to Seattle. I do my share of travel to South America, I go to Uruguay a lot. One trip I hope to catch a concert...I almost was able to coordinate a Rush show in Buenos Aires with a trip to Montevideo......but I failed
Cry
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 18:28
Listening to Testimony 2 after a little break from NM-related music, and it still sounds great, even after having it for a few weeks. I still think it's one of his best.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 18:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ This is true....Although I met the guy and he is interested in moving to Seattle. I do my share of travel to South America, I go to Uruguay a lot. One trip I hope to catch a concert...I almost was able to coordinate a Rush show in Buenos Aires with a trip to Montevideo......but I failed
Cry

Traveling to the Cono Sur eh? Down there you are missing the good sh*t. LOL
Lark the Starless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lark the Starless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 19:56
I purchased Bridge Across Forever about three weeks ago. I already made a poll about it for all you Neal Morse fanboys. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 15:33
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Cry

Traveling to the Cono Sur eh? Down there you are missing the good sh*t. LOL

LOLLOL
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 10:59
Well, I finally listened to Testimony (the first one), and I think I should probably have just not bothered.  Overall a pretty big disappointment.  I'll have to give it more listens, but overall it just seems so weak compared to the other Neal solo albums.  Some instrumental parts are really good, but even then not quite up to the standards of the following albums (and other things he's done).  The vocals sections, for the most part, really seem quite simplistic and uninteresting.  No real melodic candy like I'm used to from Morse.  A few tracks I just feel like I'm listening to soft rock hits or something, just a very high cheese factor, very smooth and AOR sounding, yet without any memorable melodies.  I do like the layering of so many instruments, which in some places gives an incredibly full sound that you don't hear on any other Morse material.  Though on the down side it makes it all sound very homogeneous and sometimes Muzak-like.

Anyway, just my first impression, maybe it will grow on me.  Still need to listen to Testimony 2, which I suspect will be much, much better.  As I've said before, I love most of what Neal has done over the years, so I'm not just trying to bash the album.  Of course, I'm not a big fan of Snow either, and it is a similar album in a lot of respects (though at this point, I'd say I like it quite a bit more than the first Testimony).
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 12:01
I had similar opinions about T1 after already having heard ?, SS, and all 3 Transatlantic albums. But it's a grower and I now like it a lot, even before T2 came out. I still think T2 is better though
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 12:11
My only issue with T1 is that it is so long.......T2 time wise is perfect. It only took me two listens of T1 to know how excellent that album really is.
Garden of Dreams View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:46
Testimony 1 is pretty good but its no where close to being as good as Sola Scriptura.  I don't meant to down play Testimony 1 though, just try to elevate Sola Scriptura.  It's one of my favorite albums right now.

Edited by Garden of Dreams - June 20 2011 at 13:47
Just give it all an hour by the concrete lake.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:10
I've only just got T1 on the back of T2 and also to complete my collection of Neal Morse solo albums. I think its really good although not quite as good as T2 which for me is the album of the year so far.
btw T2 has already got 65 reviews and currently well in the top 100.Cool
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

........T2 which for me is the album of the year so far.
btw T2 has already got 65 reviews and currently well in the top 100.Cool

ClapClapClap
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 15:08
Thanks guys, my comments seem a little harsh now reading them again......especially after just one listen.  It IS really long, and maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.  Again, some parts I really like, so I think I just need to give it more time.  I think I might just jump to T2 first though and see what I think of that.

Gardenofdreams........Sola Scriptura is my favorite thing by Morse ever.  Love that album (the ballad, the shortest track, still seems a bit overblown to me, but it doesn't detract from my appreciation for the album).
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 17:45
Testimony 1 IMO is downright boring. easily one of the worst albums Neal have put out so far. It really surprises me that the same person have put out albums such as V (Spock's Beard), One and Sola Scriptura. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 19:57
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Thanks guys, my comments seem a little harsh now reading them again......especially after just one listen.  It IS really long, and maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.  Again, some parts I really like, so I think I just need to give it more time.  I think I might just jump to T2 first though and see what I think of that.

Gardenofdreams........Sola Scriptura is my favorite thing by Morse ever.  Love that album (the ballad, the shortest track, still seems a bit overblown to me, but it doesn't detract from my appreciation for the album).

I have only been listening to Neal Morse related projects within the past few months and its all been good but that Sola Scriptura is his stand out work for me.  The Door is definitely one of my favorite songs.  I'm actually getting 5 CD's with Neal Morse. 2 Spock's Beard, 2 Transatlantic and ? so I have become quite a fan of his work.  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 23:22
Originally posted by Garden of Dreams Garden of Dreams wrote:

I have only been listening to Neal Morse related projects within the past few months and its all been good but that Sola Scriptura is his stand out work for me.  The Door is definitely one of my favorite songs.  I'm actually getting 5 CD's with Neal Morse. 2 Spock's Beard, 2 Transatlantic and ? so I have become quite a fan of his work.  

I have yet to hear Sola Scriptura. How much better than ? do you like it? The question-mark album is pretty hot.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 00:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Garden of Dreams Garden of Dreams wrote:

I have yet to hear Sola Scriptura. How much better than ? do you like it? The question-mark album is pretty hot.

Sola Scriptura is also my favourite Neal Morse album.One is also excellent imo.
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofcaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 07:57

infandous, I had almost the exact same reaction when I first heard Testimony.  It just seemed kind of boring and drawn out.  However, it does grow on you and some of what first sounds like cheese actually blossoms into some really nice elements.  (For example, I remember when I first heard the line "like a lock to a door...like a latch to a window" I thought it was the silliest thing.  However, that lyrical concept is interwoven throughout the album and turns out to be somewhat brilliant in the way that Morse uses it in Testimony.)  To fully appreciate the Testimony album, I highly recommend the concert DVD.  It is incredible.

Having said all that, Testimony 2 blows the first Testimony away, in my opinion.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garden of Dreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 11:13
I think Question Mark is great but Sola Scriptura encapsulates everything that is great about Neal Morse.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infandous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 15:18
Again, agree with you GardenofDreams.  Question Mark is my second favorite after Sola........but I still have yet to listen to Testimony 2.  Will be spinning that one tonight.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 15:34
^ You will end up spinning it many times....I promise you! And Seeds of Gold is absolutely brilliant!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>