Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNearfest cancelled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nearfest cancelled
    Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:12
Nearfest, unfortunately has been cancelled. Here is the official word:

NEARFEST 2011 CANCELED March 25, 2011

It is our sad duty to inform you that 2011 edition of the North East Art Rock Festival has been canceled due to insufficient ticket sales. This unfortunate result is likely the product of lower-than-expected interest in a transitional lineup of talented international acts combined with a slow-to-rebound U.S. economy. Despite utilizing our well-established avenues of communication and traditional revenue streams, including the annual Patron Program, it has become apparent to the five of us that ceasing operation of NEARfest 2011 is truly the only recourse.

Though enthusiasm for an experimental new direction was not suitably obtained, we do greatly thank those of you that had already purchased tickets for your continued support. Rest assured that all tickets purchases will be refunded in full, including the donation portion of any Patron ticket. If any Patron would like to retain their donation status with the festival to help offset any cancellation fees we may incur, please contact Jim Robinson ([email protected]) privately by email. For those who have already booked airline travel, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you can get the most value out of any non-refundable tickets. All hotel and car rental reservations should be well outside their respective penalty windows.

We also apologize to the bands that were scheduled to play in 2011. We always look forward to presenting an exciting and diverse lineup of wonderful bands from around the world, and that includes getting to know some of them personally. We are truly sorry that we cannot have you grace our stage this year.

Please note that no decisions have been made regarding the long-term future of the festival.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Sincerely,

Ray Loboda, Operations Coordinator
Jim Robinson, Business Director
Kevin Feeley, Production Manager
Chad Hutchinson, Co-Founder
Rob LaDuca, Co-Founder

http://www.nearfest.com

Edited by Prog_Traveller - March 26 2011 at 01:13
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:45
Man if this fest can"t make it in the States which ones can?  Sign of the times I guess. Angry

Edited by Garion81 - July 14 2012 at 12:20

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 01:58
Wow. That's too bad. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 02:02
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread.

Anyway, that is a shame. Though this year the lineup was pretty terrible, especially compared to years past. But I hope it doesn't doom the entire thing. Its so close to me!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 04:14
Feels like the death of prog has finally happened despite all the rumours down the years to the contrary. RIP.Cry
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 06:40

Never been to NEARFest, but its reputation speaks for it, so this is a bit of a surprise. Plenty of prog festivals in debt-stricken Europe are doing well (closer to me, Gouveia Art Rock sold-out in days, but I'm gessing it is a much smaller venue than NEARFest). How many seats were they trying to sell and at what prices?

Bigger on the inside.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 07:39
This is a sad situation. In the past 2 weeks I have seen individuals employed to hold up closing business signs in my area. Gas prices are eating us alive. And as usual those gas prices go skyrocketing a few months before summer. The same pattern occurs every year. It's now more difficult for a person with average income to take their kids to the shore without sacrificing the important items on the shopping list at the supermarket. On a personal level, I won't care or indulge in activities that the average person is deprived of due to the burden of gas prices.. I wouldn't give any American business a buffalo nickle for entertainment at the shore. I can think of ways to see the ocean without green backs in my pocket. This happens every summer and eventually people will just have to give up and hopefully if the shore business suffers enough, a message will be revealed to those behind the high jacking gas prices. The more business suffers, the less gas is purchased. Just a dream though I would love to see a turn of the cards.  I would love to see more people riding bikes as a response to jacked up gas prices and a solution  for practical survival. I hope to see the working middle class individual survive without spending more than a hundred dollars a month on gas. It's a shame that Nearfest has to cancel as a result of B.S. like this when other sources of entertainment (which are questionable), are as big as sliced bread. It's to be expected though when in the last decade or so you could hire GONG to play in your living room. LOL. 

Edited by TODDLER - March 26 2011 at 07:46
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 07:50
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Never been to NEARFest, but its reputation speaks for it, so this is a bit of a surprise. Plenty of prog festivals in debt-stricken Europe are doing well (closer to me, Gouveia Art Rock sold-out in days, but I'm gessing it is a much smaller venue than NEARFest). How many seats were they trying to sell and at what prices?

Excellent point. If times are lean, you have to cut your clothes accordingly. I see that in other type of entertainment businesses over here in Europe too where we often get special deals which makes it affordable and/or the businesses scales back to just offer the core event. 

I have no idea why NEARfest was cancelled so I am speaking in general terms and as a reply to Kotro's post.  

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 08:33
who was lined up to play---in this economy you need lot's of bang for your buck---I would think you need one really big name---like Yes with Moraz ---LOL----
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 09:12
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

who was lined up to play---in this economy you need lot's of bang for your buck---I would think you need one really big name---like Yes with Moraz ---LOL----

Here was the line-up for Nearfest

And for comparison, the Rosfest line-up.  

Maybe this sad news will have some good in boosting the Ros show?

Edited by Finnforest - March 26 2011 at 09:21

qscprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 09:13

I have been to most Nearfest and I’m disappointed. I must admit though that I only decided to go this year at the last minute. Not to take anything from the bands performing but I though the line up was very poor for this type of festival. When I saw that Umphrey”s Mcgee was the headline act I was very surprised and decided not to go this year but as I said, I changed my mind at the last minute and bought tickets. Nearfest has a special place in my heart and I am very sad to hear this news. Chatting with Stan Whitaker in the lobby, talks and pictures with Anne Haslam, Roger Dean and the wonderful Mark Wilkinson, finally meeting Andy Latimer, seeing once in a life time performances by some of the Prog greats, the people, the CD’s, the list goes on and on.

I hope that the Nearfest team swings back to the types of bands we have seen in the past. This is not to say that there should not be a few newer, avant/RIO or lesser known bands (GOD! does anybody remember the awesome Nexus or Cabezas de Cera or Koenji Hyakkei ? ) but the PFMs, Camels, and Strawbs are the draws. And what great Friday nights we have seen.

Yes, I am very sad but lets hope the management team at can maybe set up a spot on the site where people can realistically submit bands they would like to see (using common sense cause Gentle Giant ain’t happening ) and have a more “traditional” Nearfest line up.

LONG LIVE NEARFEST!!!!!!! 

qscprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:10
   It's NOT the economy! It's NOT the cost! It's NOT the death of Prog! It was the line up.The ticket price for three days of great prog at Nearfest is a bargain. Last year sold out as I believe all previous years . I usually buy Patron tickets. This year I almost didn't buy any. Nearfest is a wonderful event!! Next year let's hope for a better outcome with some great Prog bands.

Edited by qscprog - March 26 2011 at 11:20
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:29
Crikey. Being a penniless Brit, attending nearfest has never really been viable for me, though when I was first getting into prog I would torture myself on an anual basis by drooling over the line-up. I have to concur with those who've pointed to this year's line-up as the real nail in the coffin here, though. It's not the economy - the usual crowd would save up and make the effort if the line-up was enticing enough.

Anyway, whatever the reasons, this is a real shame. Nearfest has been a major fixture on the contemporary prog landscape for years now and its impact always goes far beyond those lucky enough to attend.
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:34

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Feels like the death of prog has finally happened despite all the rumours down the years to the contrary. RIP.Cry

Yes, as much as football being dead when a football team goes out of business. It is sad that Nearfest is cancelled this year. But the prog rock scene is still very healthy. So let's not get too much downhearted and start to shoot ourselves in the foot.

I have my personal theories why the festival is cancelled. But I will keep them to myself.   

Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:41
I can't exactly say that I found either Nearfest nor the Rosfest even remotely tempting. Luckily I live in Europe and have nice festivals like the local Sweden Rock Festival with Prog acts like Queensryche, Kansas, Hawkwind, Spock's Beard and Evergrey visiting this year.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:42
There have been plenty of festivals cancelled in Europe, too. They simply have to do it smart and don't let the fans forget that if they wait and remain interested, the return is going to be awesome. (That's how I've seen this marketed, not as a failure.) 
TechnicallySpeaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 13:08
I am highly dissapointed. I had front row tickets! I go every year and with very few exceptions have enjoyed every band that performed. I have enjoyed the mix of "traditional" prog bands and new blood. While I still enjoy a good dose of PFM or Spocks Beard, bands like Pineapple Thief or Until Sunrise is the future. I really enjoy the international flavor that has been a characteristic of this festival in recent years as well. "Progressive" means to evolve and like it or not, that is what's happening. This is an anomoly and I am sure it will be back. I will be at Progday this year, but I will really miss the quality and vibe of NEARFEST weekend. Long live NEARFEST - see you in 2012!
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2011 at 18:34
Not sure if I have met you before or not. I have been to several NF, RF and PD's. They are all good and all a bit different.  I was pretty involved with PD a few years ago. The only fest I go to much anymore is RF and I missed even that one last year.

The band's chosen have been a factor in the lack of ticket sales but I don't think that tells the whole story. Do that many people go to a festival just to see the headliners? Progfans seem to be more hardcore than that. I think the economy is a big factor too but it's hard to say which factor is the biggest. The lineup actually seemed pretty solid but I admit not having really solid headliners for a prog festival is probably the thing that hurt it the most this year. UM just aren't well known enough in prog circles and not enough people whether they be old fans or younger fans know about the New Trolls. I think Curved Air are actually more well known over all than the New Trolls. Anyway, this is too bad and a real bad break for NF. I get the feeling it will be back next year though.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 04:57
I think this year's line-up was very interesting, can't see a problem there. I would gladly pay to see some of those acts on their own. 
Bigger on the inside.
TechnicallySpeaking View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2011 at 13:34

Having attended many NEARFESTs, the problem as I see it is that it was so successful in years past with the patron program and the instant general ticket sellouts, that it became a closed community. It is safe to say that the biggest change in the faces at the festival from year to year were the musicians. I got to know many people on a first name basis. The problem with that is as soon as a segment of that community chose not to attend (for whatever reason), there was not a source of newcomers to replace them. I don't know what all of the issues were leading to the decision to cancel, but it just seemed to me that there was plenty of time to get the word out that tickets were available. If I had not seen the posting on Facebook, I would have only assumed that it sold out in one day like in past years. I think that a word-of-mouth marketing campaign starting with an e-mail to the patrons and vendors may have been enough to get tickets sold. For instance, I have friends that would go to a festival like this, but I never pushed it with them because it had been too hard to get tickets in the past. A lot of people won't sit on the phone for 3 hours waiting to talk to a box office or pay double the ticket price to be a patron, but may buy a ticket if they knew they could simply go to a web site and get a good seat. Anyway that's my 2 cents. I am probably over simplifying what was an overwhelming difficulty. I know the guys managing NEARFEST do a fine job, and I am sure it will be back next year. Prog_Traveler: if you go to Prog Day look for me - I will be with the Quantum Fantay contingent. I will likely be wearing a Paul Reed Smith (PRS) or Until Sunrise T-shirt. Quantum Fantay and Until Sunrise are touring together at the end of August into September and I will be traveling with the bands.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>