Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Evil Progressive music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:20
I don't consider it dark and evil........try Nine Stones Close-Traces its very somber and melancholy, I guess it is dark but not in the evil way like an Opus. I also find A Passion Play by Jethro Tull kinda dark, in a weird way though as it is Tull.
omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 10:57
I think Comus' First utterance is the meanest album I ever heared and I think I understand what are you talking about when you say dark so I'll add my voice to those who recomended Universe zero. Their album "Hersie" is the darkest album I ever heard (there was a thread about it few months ago named "Heresie, the darkest album ever ?") and to be honest I need courage to dare and play this album .
omri
progguyryan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 11:24
I would recommend these bands, not sure how heavy you like them, but for Evil and Dark i got Strapping Young Lad, Zero Hour, Meshuggah, and a newer band, that just released their debut, TesseracT (I Only heard their EP and it is really good), so hopefully this was helpful, Big fan of Agalloch! the closes thing to Dark, Evil and atmospherical that I can think of is Pain of Salvation, espacially the song The Perfect Element.

Ryan
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 14:50

Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 15:08
Kharuna Kyal
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 15:23
Since Miranda Sex Garden is on PA, we can cite their album 'suspiria' which name is taken from Dario Argento's horror masterpiece.

Also, I believe Elend are still under discussion for inclusion on PA, but 'a world in their screams' is the perfect soundtrack to the most scary movies.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Since Miranda Sex Garden is on PA, we can cite their album 'suspiria' which name is taken from Dario Argento's horror masterpiece.

Goblin did more than one soundtrack for Dario Argento ... and the music is suggestive in a conventional way, and often better if it is illustrated nicely ... which more often than not it was not and Dario was not a good director for the use of music ...

Some better examples of music used to the proper effect ...

Tangerine Dream - "Sorcerer " ... had a lot of nice pieces of music used up.

Various - "Performance" Soundtrack ... one of the best films ever made, and if you have not seen it, you have no idea ... and the way the music is used? ... the best ever. It's hard to say this is "evil", but it is dark and then some ... and one of the best visual treats ever filmed and one of the pre-cursors of MTV ... which did not have the talent to show good stuff, just crap along with the music. In this soundtrack,  you get Mick Jagger, Merry Clayton, Randy Newman, Jack Nietsche ... Nicholas Roeg's history as a director is a veritable far out list of music that he has used in all of his films ... all of it magnificently used and so well attuned to the moment in the film.

Jack Nietszche - Saint Giles Cripplegate ... massively far out piece of music ... not for the wean'rs and musically un-insane!

In general, in the early days, a lot of electronic music, because the synthesizer in those days was being used as a creator and exponent for new sounds, was usually mentioned as "dark", "strange" and often time "evil" ... and sooner or later that was busted up as the illision it was, but many folks took up that "idea" and went after it. White Noise's Electrical Storm in Hell is one of these ... and it is scary, but it ends on a funny note ... and you know right away about the experiment with the weird noises and sounds!

The other notion is that heavy organ music played in unpleasant and weird ways, makes it "evil" and "counter" the image that it is religious music ... and the well known image of the madman playing at the organ in the movies is the quintessential immage of this stuff, and is NOT ... what evil is all about ... like "evil" is not smart enough to know and do ... without you knowing about it! Or have to be stupid about it. And later, even the likes of Keith Jarrett took to play jazz pieces and licks in a pipe organ, and it sounds phenomenal and breaks this "attitude" down even more.

Lastly ... there is no difference between "good" and "evil". In the end, today is "good" and tomorrow it is considered "evil" depending on the government and authorities anyway ... and this is like you placed a message in a bottle and it arrived 200 years later and its message is no longer pertinent to today's situations and learning ... and above all, you must remember that a lot of what was considered "evil" in Europe was merely a scare tactic that tried to keep some rich families in control ... under the guise of a church ... but then, it's hard to now think that a witch hunt was no more "evil" than anything else out there!

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2011 at 16:04
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
virginmary View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 21:53
Check out "Tenhi" they are absolutely awsome...especially their latest "Maaaet"..
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 21:59
Originally posted by Takeshi Kovacs Takeshi Kovacs wrote:

Absolutely agreed. Never, ever try to go to sleep with this album playing.
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
KyleSchmidlin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2011 at 22:49
I love the activity on this message board, but it's also a curse because I can hardly read all the responses before writing my own.  So, I didn't read all of these.  But to my ears, a lot of the stuff mentioned ain't dark at all.  Just like death metal.  People who try to be scary, and fill their music with all these dark tones and evil lyrics and sinister intervals, don't sound scary at all.  They sound cartoonish and childish.  The scariest album I have ever heard is Tago Mago by Can.  That album is intense, and dark, and NOT by design.  It just came out that way.  And I mean that.  Try really being into that album alone in the dark or something.  It's possible, but it will probably put you in some place extremely uncomfortable.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 00:44
Vindensang and Extinction Algorithm
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 01:20
Originally posted by KyleSchmidlin KyleSchmidlin wrote:

I love the activity on this message board, but it's also a curse because I can hardly read all the responses before writing my own.  So, I didn't read all of these.  But to my ears, a lot of the stuff mentioned ain't dark at all.  Just like death metal.  People who try to be scary, and fill their music with all these dark tones and evil lyrics and sinister intervals, don't sound scary at all.  They sound cartoonish and childish.  The scariest album I have ever heard is Tago Mago by Can.  That album is intense, and dark, and NOT by design.  It just came out that way.  And I mean that.  Try really being into that album alone in the dark or something.  It's possible, but it will probably put you in some place extremely uncomfortable.

Good comments, thanks!  I'm not familiar with Tago Mago & must check it out!  

I've written some of my own music (instrumental) that was so dark & forboding, it is hard to listen to (and I wrote & played it!!)   It's never been released.  

Dark is fine, but evil is best left alone.  

omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 05:58
Originally posted by KyleSchmidlin KyleSchmidlin wrote:

Tago mago is a great album IMO but I don't find it scary. I would say that the emotions I feel when hearing it are frustration, confusion and worrying.
omri
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 07:30
You listed Comus First utterance, and I was just thinking about whether you had its folky sibling Mice and Rats in the Loft from Jan Dukes de Grey? Not entirely evil, but quite different, dark and uneasy on the ears.

Starless and Bible Black contains one of the most evil tracks I know of in Fracture, which would make Darth Vader look like Miley Cyrus with a couple of fluffy kittens by comparison.

Another album I consider dark and - well to some extent evil is Within the Realm of a Dying Sun by Dead Can Dance. A very cold and icy adventure through an apocalyptic symphonic orchestration with Jim Morrison like vocals and beautiful Arabic/Celtic female yodeling - driving the record forward into blackness and isolation in the most wonderful way. NOT a rock record this one.   
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 11:51
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

This:

Lol, when are people going to learn that RYM blocks hotlinks? 

It's not prog but I don't care, you should listen to the early works of Penderecki. 
Must Agree. Maybe some people feel they are not ready to take the plunge into Penderecki but much prog is influenced by this music. Excellent choice!
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 12:01
Evil is a bit much for me. The representation of evil in lyrics and sometimes composition is not for me. I don't find evil in 20th century classical but I do find it to be mysterious. I like Prog, Classical, Electronic and Folk music that has a mysterious sound and causes the reaction of the listener's mind to travel distances. Some music that is classified evil is too obvious for me personally. Music that contains that mysterious atmosphere is not.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 15:10
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Good comments, thanks!  I'm not familiar with Tago Mago & must check it out!  
I've written some of my own music (instrumental) that was so dark & forboding, it is hard to listen to (and I wrote & played it!!)   It's never been released.  
Dark is fine, but evil is best left alone.  

Remember that not everyone sees the light that you see ... thus what might be dark for you is not (necessarily) dark for someone else. And we had a blind friend (who used to hitchhike to Moby Disk and back to get albums!) ... who used to say that we were all fools always looking for a light we never found!

The important thing for Tago Mago, is realize that it was an "experiment" that involved some 20 hours of recording that was cut up in segments and they were pasted up together regardless of what was on them ... to get the final product. This is explained in the Can website by Holger!

As such, this is something that we do not like or can appreciate. In general, and music is very much this way, we have this idea that it has to be orderly and logical ... and when you are confronted with something that totally does away with that idea, you will not like it, and will be confronted with something that you (or I or anyone else) is going to call it dark, ugly, and everything else under the sun, because it is something that we do not recognize, and has no connection to our inner experience or vision ... and that is really important to realize ... that many people call something "dark" that they simply do not know, or understand!

Tago Mago is excellent ... and probably the most heroic of all the "krautrock" samples that came out of the music schools in the era ... by comparison, I would say that those from the Agitation Free, and stuff that went on to become electronica, is much more "academic" in design and idea, than Tago Mago is ... and on top of it, they even had a "non-singer" with them ... Damo. This was, in essence, almost the same thing, as Jean-Luc Godard called "anti-film" ... and this version would be "anti-music" ...

Again, please see that unbelievable BBC special on Krautrock ... a lot of this comes very clear quickly and it also explains the people and the scene beautifully. It did not connect the film and literature a lot more as it should have, because they were intertwined, but it's still magnificent ... and more importantly ... take a mental note of Edgar Froese's words ... absolutely massive and important, but not something that many of us will EVER see during one's lifetimes ...

Edited by moshkito - March 29 2011 at 15:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 15:19
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Must Agree. Maybe some people feel they are not ready to take the plunge into Penderecki but much prog is influenced by this music. Excellent choice!

Heck ... let's go all out and add Carmina Burana, to the list ... again, the lyrics are more suggestive than otherwise, and if you didn't know the piece and heard it without the choral and vocal parts, you might thing ... a bit repetivie, interesting ... ultimately ... strange and ... evil? ... again ... what is evil for one might not be for another! And the devil maybe bad for some of us, but good for others! And vice versa despite the church not liking it ... or worse ... my god is not your god and so on ... which is the cause of so many wars and what not in many areas these days!

And there was a thread that some folks thought that Magma was evil ... and I would like to suggest that the folks saying it have a lot more to look at in the mirror than Magma!

Edited by moshkito - March 29 2011 at 15:19
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2011 at 23:51
Perhaps Metamorfosis's "Inferno" would qualify? It's about Dante's novel, and it's full of ominous keyboards.
Or Il Balleto di Bronzo's "YS".

Oh yes, and Rick Wakeman's song "Judas Iscariot", with some great church organ.

And then, perhaps more on the popular side, but some early Pink Floyd? At least the live version of "Careful with that Axe Eugene"... perhaps even the whole "Live in Pompeii"...
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2011 at 00:33
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

This:

Also Univers Zero. 

I certainly agree with those two recommendations. And if you like This Heat, and are feeling adventurous, check out Virus: 

Or especially Ved Buens Ende if you're feeling more adventurous. ;)

But for REAL darkness there's:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>