Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Evil Progressive music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 08:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Here's a small list ... some of it I am not sure it is/was that progressive. I had to scramble me brains to remember some of these.

Lucifer - I have the LP but have to listen to it again. If I remember it correctly it was an interesting experiment through the synthesizer and a strange concoction of sounds. Don't wuote me on this one. Haven't heard it in some time.

Hope this helps.

Interesting coincidence, I used to have the LP and hadn't heard it in decades, so I dug it up on Youtube.  

Good Heavens, this Mort Garson chap was a genius!  Quite dark also, check out his song "Incubus"....the entire LP is available on YouTube. 

He was a innovator ..pioneer of electronic music I wasn't fond of the subject matter/concept of the album and bought it based on my personal interest in early development of electronic music. I've always wondered if "Leave the Driving to Us" from Mort Garson's The Wozard of Is sounding like Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was a coincidence. Ron Geesin and Roger Waters had a deep interest in the 60's electronic music in America.  Mort Garson was closely associated with Paul Beaver and Bernard Krause who pioneered the synth in the 60's.

Edited by TODDLER - March 06 2013 at 08:03
Aragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:19
Try Aragon, their first 3 album are much dark and cold, the use of guitars isn't so present and sometime the voice become evil when the singer cry out and scream, superb these long pieces, much dark and dramatic!

My nickname has been inspired from them LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Aragon - March 06 2013 at 11:21
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 11:26
Originally posted by davidk davidk wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Just remembered. Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust. From what you´ve listed, this should be right up your alley.
Great re-workings of old horror movie scores soaked in mellotron and a very Crimsonian feel to it.   

This is amazing! Reminds me a lot of King Crimson. Do you know any other bands that use Mellotron in a similar type of way? 

You can't go wrong with the early Anekdoten albums. They too have that mellotron induced shafts of light vibe going on. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 15:38
Theres hardly been anythying in this thread that I truly consider dark, evil, or scary. That Mort Garson album is, frankly, a joke Ermm. I agree with Dobermensch's review of it. Nothing remotely evil about it...

This is stuff that is dark, evil, and scary. Works best with headphones on and closed eyes.

Lustmord

This Two Tom Waits' are super terrifying.

Current 93

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 16:35
And while we're on Current 93, don't forget "Homotopy For Marie" by Nurse With Wound.  Couldn't take it more than once.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 23:07

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Just remembered. Morte Macabre - Symphonic Holocaust. From what you´ve listed, this should be right up your alley.
Great re-workings of old horror movie scores soaked in mellotron and a very Crimsonian feel to it.   

This is amazing! Reminds me a lot of King Crimson. Do you know any other bands that use Mellotron in a similar type of way? 

Two Mellotrons plus many analog synthesizers were used to construct this underground melancholic masterpiece.

Btw, are you familiar with Goblin?

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 23:24

I would like to find some new prog bands with a very Dark atmospherical feel to their music. Something Similar to maybe early King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, or Comus, but it can be completely different. Just something with a dark evil feel, that can give somebody the creeps. I saw a post similar to this on another website, but it was no help. Please nothing like Tubular Bells, although I love Mike Oldfield.  
King Crimson and  Van Der Graaf Generator do not have an evil feeling to me whatsoever, quite the contrary I feel good and awesome listening to them certainly not evil Smile thus I cannot add/comment here Big smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 00:10
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Theres hardly been anythying in this thread that I truly consider dark, evil, or scary. That Mort Garson album is, frankly, a joke Ermm. I agree with Dobermensch's review of it. Nothing remotely evil about it...

I quite disagree, you have to remember the times that Garson composed it (late-1960's).  I grew up in that era, and there was quite a bit of paranoia regarding Satanism and Satanic cults.  This was reflected in TV shows such as the amazing episode "The Sign of Satan" on Alfred Hitchcock, http://imdb.com/title/tt0394086/    Satanism was also explored on "Thriller" and other US TV shows and was quite present in the mainstream media.  

The thinking on this in the US was quite paranoid, and the Charles Manson Family murders in 1969 brought this Satanism-frenzy to quite a crescendo.  This is all lost now over forty years later, but it was quite real at the time and, to many, terrifying.  

For Mort Garson (a Canadian) to take such a plunge when he did (1971) is nothing less than remarkable.  Listen closely to "Incubus" with headphones, keeping this definition in mind...try to get into the composer's head, it is rather disturbing. 

in·cu·bus
n. pl. in·cu·bus·es or in·cu·bi (-b)
1. An evil spirit supposed to descend upon and have sexual intercourse with women as they sleep.
2. A nightmare.
3. An oppressive or nightmarish burden.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 00:38
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Darker than black itself.

Damn that is vile monster of an album!

Heh, listening to it now in my office, and loving every bit of it!   
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 21:35
Has Devil Doll been mentioned?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 21:36
I would hope so, seeing as they are dark evil progressive rock. LOL
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 23:05
Elend

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 02:26
Hmm...tried reading through the first couple of pages, but got lazy so maybe these have already been mentioned:

...and of course Abruptum, who are not included on PA, but you can find them on Metal Music Archives: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/abruptum.aspx?ac=abruptum

Edited by UMUR - March 08 2013 at 02:29
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 11:40
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I would like to find some new prog bands with a very Dark atmospherical feel to their music. Something Similar to maybe early King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, or Comus, but it can be completely different. Just something with a dark evil feel, that can give somebody the creeps. I saw a post similar to this on another website, but it was no help. Please nothing like Tubular Bells, although I love Mike Oldfield.  
King Crimson and  Van Der Graaf Generator do not have an evil feeling to me whatsoever, quite the contrary I feel good and awesome listening to them certainly not evil Smile thus I cannot add/comment here Big smile

If you travel in a time machine to 1974, seat yourself in a room of born again Christians, and play the instrumental improvisational piece "Starless and Bible Black' ..they would in return spell out evil for you. I understand your personal taste and hold you in the highest regard, but I feel that you may be missing the point that evil is not always scary. Although I believe "Starless and Bible Black" falls into characterization of words like creepy mysterious horror. Based on the fact that the band is vamping off tri-tones or better known to the church as the "Devil's Interval".

When you're a seasoned musician this topic feels a bit moronic based on certain realities of the past. Historically..20TH Century composers were bashed by a majority of people in the U.S....but yet..these tri-tones were utilized through the commercial media to make money. "The Twilight Zone", "Outer Limits" and the list goes on. It's safe base for the average person to accept a dark piece if it's contained to back an actor in a horror film..but God forbid if it has serious intentions like in Art Zoyd's music or as I mentioned before..S.A.B.B. The last thing on earth a seasoned musician needs to be confronted with is a comment like "Hey Boy".."You're playing Devil music" . Only in America though..?

Musicians compose around personal experiences. If they have a mysterious experience..they may compose a dark piece. Playing tri-tones in every form your brain can create..will naturally create a sound which is mysterious in nature or to some people...evil. It's suppose to be completely natural like any other form of musicial expression. However it offends religion which is a debate..however..not to deny religious beliefs ..but what comes natural to a musician is part of what they are born with. The ability to produce music from experiences in the real world without having a direct motive. That is why I find the subject annoying. 
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 14:52
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

I quite disagree, you have to remember the times that Garson composed it (late-1960's).  I grew up in that era, and there was quite a bit of paranoia regarding Satanism and Satanic cults.  This was reflected in TV shows such as the amazing episode "The Sign of Satan" on Alfred Hitchcock, http://imdb.com/title/tt0394086/    Satanism was also explored on "Thriller" and other US TV shows and was quite present in the mainstream media.  

The thinking on this in the US was quite paranoid, and the Charles Manson Family murders in 1969 brought this Satanism-frenzy to quite a crescendo.  This is all lost now over forty years later, but it was quite real at the time and, to many, terrifying.  

For Mort Garson (a Canadian) to take such a plunge when he did (1971) is nothing less than remarkable.  Listen closely to "Incubus" with headphones, keeping this definition in mind...try to get into the composer's head, it is rather disturbing. 

in·cu·bus
n. pl. in·cu·bus·es or in·cu·bi (-b)
1. An evil spirit supposed to descend upon and have sexual intercourse with women as they sleep.
2. A nightmare.
3. An oppressive or nightmarish burden.

Having titles refering to dark and evil things doesn't automatically make the music disturbing. The entire album just sounds hokey, there was much creepier stuff being made at the time this album came out, it may have been the one of the first electronic album to revolve around darkness, but it completely fails to be dark or frightening imo.
It actually sounds rather upbeat to me a fair amount of the time.

The only time Incubus gets slightly disturbing is the last minute or so, and I consider that a stretch, the slightly distorted females at the begining don't sound creepy at all, nor does the tribalistic beat.

An Electric Storm by White Noise is far creepier,

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 23:39
Swans.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 08:26
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Thank you ... it's insane that someone has to think that something is "evil" because of the lyrics, or the picture on the cover! THAT is totally bizarre, off the wall, and one reason why we all can be fooled so damn much by advertising, to the point where ... we don't know a thing!

And we think that fear of what we don't know is the debil ... and that is not true!

Now if we're talking about the person who is intentionally hiding that truth, or feeling ... that's the old Thoth definition of the Card number 15 on the Tarot ... the one that stands in front of the light hiding it from you! And this is meant in an educational content, hiding knowledge and truth from you, not a visual content of you not getting your tan on your butt! Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Knapitatet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 08:55
"Civilization Phaze III" by Frank Zappa is very ominous.
Elastic Murray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:41
Gnaw Their Tongues and sometimes Abruptum absolutely. Some others I'd include would be Asmus Tietchens, Emprical Sleeping Consort, Black Mountain Transmitter, Edward Ka-Spel, Giancarlo Toniutti, Zoviet France, and H.N.A.S. Most of this stuff clearly isn't in the metal zone, and arguably not in the progressive House, but this weird ambient stuff is the creepiest stuff I can think of, and I have no respect for da rulez of da threadz coz rulez be for foolz.

Additionally, I find some of the stuff from composers like Xenakis, and Takemitsu to be quite creepy regardless of whether or not the composer intended for the pieces to be creepy. Some of this stuff can easily considered boring or downright hilarious, so I have quite a bit of respect for people who can consistently make music that is eerie and downright dodgy.

bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2013 at 23:54
I'm obviously biased but Hibernal's "The Machine" is a concept album with a sci-fi horror theme.  Lots of atmospherics and music to suit the mood.  Check out "Downward" below to see what I mean.

Hibernal http://hibernal.bandcamp.com
"This is a stunning work of art" - Muzik Reviews
"A precious gem" - Dante's Prog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>