Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGuru Guru searching for a new drummer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guru Guru searching for a new drummer.
    Posted: April 01 2011 at 09:47
Mani Neumeier left Guru Guru to live in Japan with his Japanese wife Etsuko, who is a performance artist. "I was the head guru for over 40 years, but I feel too old now to hop around on stage as the Elektrolurch. I will still be giving performances with my wife Etsuko though and the odd gig with the Acid Mothers Temple". When asked if he was not afraid of the radiation in Japan Mani answered with his typical humor: "A real Bavarian is not afraid of a few radioactive rays. Any gamma ray that comes near me will take to its heels".
Mani is very popular in Japan; there even is an effigy of him at a waxworks in Tokyo. In a first statement Roland Schaeffer, guitar and sax player of Guru Guru, said: "For many people Mani IS Guru Guru, of course, but we feel it an obligation to our audience to carry on. We are, however, looking for a new drummer now. The parting was amiable, by the way; all of us wish Mani the very best in Japan".
Here a photo of Mani and his wife, taken 2 years ago in Ausralia.

And here a photo of Mani and Etsuko at one of their performances:

Edited by BaldJean - April 01 2011 at 10:14

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 09:54
Come on Jeannie, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum.

Naughty girl!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 10:37
oops, sorry. yes, I should have posted it in this section, not in the main forum

Edited by BaldJean - April 01 2011 at 10:38

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 11:11
Maybe Neil Peart will apply for the post.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 11:36
That's sad news indeed, but he's been great with them for this many years. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 12:26
Mani has partly been living in Japan for quite a while already, so this move of his does not come as a total surprise. He will be sorely missed in Germany though.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 14:10
Hi,

I am not sure that we need to listen to Elektrolurch yet again ... and really ... Mani has earned his rest and be in a place that appreciates what he does a lot better than Germany, or Europe ... where these days a lot of art and work is simply being ignored and totally blasted by the english speaking media conglomerates that are making it very difficult for many of the local and smaller bands to earn a bit more. And really, when it comes to music, I'm starting to think that Germany is losing its touch ... Klaus and Edgar are still going ... but we all know that their time is now very limited and there is not enough appreciation for their work, in the press, in the studies, in places like PA ... in order to see the importance of one's work ...

Mani ... you will be missed ... and this is a bad April Fool's joke .... but regardless ... be aware that there are some folks that appreciate your work and your energy over the years ... and yeah ... sometimes life on the road is not what it is made out to be ... when you are just about begging for a dollar so you can spend the night at Motel 6 and hope to be able to have enough left for a McDonald's breakfast in the morning ... and leave with a good night's sleep!

Now that the editorial is over we can continue with the rest of the joke.

Mani, you had your laugh ... now get back on that stage! ... (please!)

Edited by moshkito - April 04 2011 at 17:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 14:25
there are still some hours left to ask Mike Portnoy if he's willing to fill this empty place Big smile

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 14:56
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

there are still some hours left to ask Mike Portnoy if he's willing to fill this empty place Big smile

Gotta admit that I liked this thought and laughed a lot ... but I am not sure that Mike could go "off-beat" and "off-time" in order to have some fun and go crazy and then play a kazoo and a quack'y duck ... instead of hitting a snare drum. Last I saw him,, I wanted to take that snare drum and break it over his head and then tell him ... now drum!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 15:03
So no more pot & pan playing performances by Mani?? Cry  Well I hope he enjoys his "retirement" with his wife...that's the best retirement one could ask for.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 06:54
This was of course an April Fool's joke. Mani is one of the people who will die on stage.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 07:28
Hilarious.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 10:37

nice one Smile
what's up next year? Van Der Graaf ditches Hammill? Magma looking for new drummer?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:42
^ Vander, a Nazi Tongue
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2011 at 12:45
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

This was of course an April Fool's joke. Mani is one of the people who will die on stage.

You got me! LOL  It didn't seem like the Mani way out, but stranger things have happened.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 09:54
Does this mean that all of the Guru, Guru cd's will be out of print again? Anywhere from 1996 to about 2004, I had the most difficult time obtaining any of their titles. I am not even sure if the most recent remastered editions are still available. I remember having "The Very Best Of Guru, Guru" on the Purple Pyramid label. Kanguru I purchased on some import label release from the early 90's in Tower Records and Mani and Sunde Freunds I bought from a collector in 2001. The cd was on some strange low budget German label that also released Dance Of the Flames. There was also "The Mask" which was priced at 50 dollars. It was basically a collection of odds and ends with some of the material taken right off LP. And of course it came with a mask. I wonder since Mani has departed that we might be seeing this sequence of non-availability of their back catalog repeat itself. I hope not.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:15
Sorry about the misunderstanding. The April fool's thing went right over my head. To be honest? It's the blood pressure medicine that I take. Sorry that I screwed this one up. BTW, are their cd's out of print again?
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:50
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Sorry about the misunderstanding. The April fool's thing went right over my head. To be honest? It's the blood pressure medicine that I take. Sorry that I screwed this one up. BTW, are their cd's out of print again?

You can order them on their website. It seems that some of the old ones are currently out of print, but one has already been re-released, so perhaps the others will be too. Only "Jungle" still is unavailable; we have it on vinyl.

By the way, this is the latest entry from Mani's Blog:

Dear Friends!

I came back safely to Germany on 
March, 17th after I had finished my tour with AcidMothersGuruGuru and Manitatsu six days after the big earthquake in Japan.

I feel very, very deeply for this catastrophe and pray for Japan and all people.

We must stop using nuclear power, it's deadly.

With best wishes and big hope!

Mani Neumeier

Also a new album will be out by the end of the month,

Doublebind
Die neue Guru Guru CD

Guru Guru Live 2008.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 17:35
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

You can order them on their website. It seems that some of the old ones are currently out of print, but one has already been re-released, so perhaps the others will be too. Only "Jungle" still is unavailable; we have it on vinyl.

By the way, this is the latest entry from Mani's Blog:

Dear Friends!

I came back safely to Germany on 
March, 17th after I had finished my tour with AcidMothersGuruGuru and Manitatsu six days after the big earthquake in Japan.

I feel very, very deeply for this catastrophe and pray for Japan and all people.

We must stop using nuclear power, it's deadly.

With best wishes and big hope!

Mani Neumeier

Also a new album will be out by the end of the month,

Doublebind
Die neue Guru Guru CD

Guru Guru Live 2008.

Wow! I love Mani! I remember having Guru, Guru on LP and I am definitely one of the old Guru fans of the rest home. I know it probably doesn't matter but I have to say I am sorry again.....I just left a hospital bed and they were keeping a close watch on my pulse and blood pressure for 2 days. The medicine they put me on is spacing me out and I am going to sign off this site for a while. or rather stop posting replies and just continue to read them. You guys are great and I can't resist reading your posts.
 Post Reply Post Reply