Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Inga Rumpf (Frumpy) appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Inga Rumpf (Frumpy) appreciation thread
    Posted: April 03 2011 at 00:46
Inga who?

Yes, it is sad, but outside of Germany hardly anyone knows her, and the bands she sung in, Frumpy and Atlantis (the latter are not in the archives, though they should be in prog-related at least) are hardly known outside of Germany. Which is sad, because she has a great voice.
With Frumpy:

With Atlantis:

Edited by BaldFriede - April 03 2011 at 00:50

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 09:32
I can understand not many people reply to this thread; after all hardly anyone knows her outside of Germany. What I, however, don't understand is why hardly anyone looks at it. If someone appreciates a band or musician I don't know I go and have a look at least. Really strange.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 10:07
Well at least one guy in Canada listens to Inga a lot. Inga is a Queen of German rock. Kind of unusual for a German songstress to be  deeply rooted in soul & various blues styles. What is even more incredible is that she doesn't even sound German at all! I have a little tribute to her on one of my web pages here www.thedayoftimestop.webs.com/nofreakouts.htm.   I'll let you guess where I got the name for the website!

Easy In My Soul is  one of my favourite Inga albums. Really grooves man. She certainly went through a lot of phases. The early eaighties were a bit shaky though. Frumpy 2 still blows my mind to this day. When I first heard Take Care Of Illusion I was hooked. Too bad they weren't marketed more adequately. Sometimes critics have been unfair to her accusing her of sounding like a male singer.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 04 2011 at 10:14
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 11:03
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well at least one guy in Canada listens to Inga a lot. Inga is a Queen of German rock. Kind of unusual for a German songstress to be  deeply rooted in soul & various blues styles. What is even more incredible is that she doesn't even sound German at all! I have a little tribute to her on one of my web pages here www.thedayoftimestop.webs.com/nofreakouts.htm.   I'll let you guess where I got the name for the website!

Easy In My Soul is  one of my favourite Inga albums. Really grooves man. She certainly went through a lot of phases. The early eaighties were a bit shaky though. Frumpy 2 still blows my mind to this day. When I first heard Take Care Of Illusion I was hooked. Too bad they weren't marketed more adequately. Sometimes critics have been unfair to her accusing her of sounding like a male singer.

I agrere Atlantis were more mainstream. However, the three examples I posted from their first album should be enough to make clear that they are prog-related at least. And their lve album (as well as the live album of Frumpy) is one of the best live albums ever, bursting of energy. You can listen in to the album here:
http://tinyurl.com/6d3ej92

What is unusual about Frumpy as a prog-rock band is that blues, soul and funk always were a major influence, even if they were undoubtedly a prog band. Inga Rumpf's voice and singing style is definitely very black.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 04 2011 at 11:08

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 12:42
I was actually going to suggest them ( Atlantis ) but didn't get around to it. Inga seems to have a lot of Bessie Smith in her if you concentrate on the intonation. Backwater Blues is actually a song Bessie Smith recorded in 1927. When I got a hold of Frumpy 2 back in the seventies sometime I noticed this right away and it freaked me right out. I think I read somewhere that she was into Elvis Presley's music from the 50s as well. Don't know if I can hear that influence though!  

Edited by Vibrationbaby - April 04 2011 at 12:49
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 13:35
I'm a fan also.

I couldn't believe it was a woman singing when I first heard this one:
Frumpy - All will be changed (1970). I
love Frumpy - I have one Atlantis record (not the first - I think it's their second), but I never listen to it - I don't think I think it's good.

This one is also great:
I.D company - s/t (1970)
A weird collaboration with Dagmar Krause (whose side, "seite Dagmar" clearly is the most interesting on the record)

She also worked with Dagmar (and others) in the German folk band City Preachers, http://www.citypreachers.de/.

and she looks good too.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

I'm a fan also.

I couldn't believe it was a woman singing when I first heard this one:
Frumpy - All will be changed (1970). I
love Frumpy - I have one Atlantis record (not the first - I think it's their second), but I never listen to it - I don't think I think it's good.

This one is also great:
I.D company - s/t (1970)
A weird collaboration with Dagmar Krause (whose side, "seite Dagmar" clearly is the most interesting on the record)

She also worked with Dagmar (and others) in the German folk band City Preachers, http://www.citypreachers.de/.

and she looks good too.

Atlantis are a very mixed bag; some albums are only saved by Inga's voice. But the first album and "It's Getting Better" are definitely worth listening to.
And of course the fantastic live album of Atlantis!

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 13:53
I'm not too crazy about the compositions of either of the two bands, but Inga Rumpf is a very good singer. The "Take Care of Illusion" video reminds me of the Yes Album - era Yes, and a bit of Alquin around 1975. That makes me wonder how The Yes Album would have sounded if Inga Rumpf would have sung instead of Jon Anderson. Even more powerful, I think.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Atlantis are a very mixed bag; some albums are only saved by Inga's voice. But the first album and "It's Getting Better" are definitely worth listening to.
And of course the fantastic live album of Atlantis!

It's it's getting better I have - maybe I'll listen to it again some time soon.

Just noticed  - I.D. company is not in the archives. Shocked 
the suggestion topic is closed.. are they deemed 'not prog'?

Edited by Paravion - April 04 2011 at 14:02
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 13:03
I only have Frumpy 2 on vinyl. Fantastic Hammond along with some great guitar interludes. I've been meaning to check out some other stuff from the band but...
FrumpyFan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2014 at 02:03
Greeting all. Last year I purchased the Frumpy LP "By The Way" and it has really grown on me. I want to purchase the first two albums and also the live album on vinyl. Has anyone heard the UK vinyl reissues on the "Lost Century" label? How do they sound? Are these legit reissues or boots? 

Thanks!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 08:40
the first self-titled Atlantis album from 1972 is amazing. The second one is ok, still enjoyable.
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:05
Those Altantis records are jewels and Inga is a goddess.
Cheers!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 11:06
That makes two Canadians I suppose ; )
Cheers!
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 14:06
Frumpy is great because of Inga Rumpf. I don't know Atlantis but discovered past year this cool album released in 1972

It's a german gem, with Inga on voices and the mighty Udo Lindenberg. You can listen it here:

Edited by Olape - September 11 2017 at 14:26
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 15:16
'All will be changed' and Frumpy 2 are fantastic.. They felt in the same vein as Linda Hoyle and Affinity and also reminded me of Brian Auger & Julie Driscoll and the Trinity ( 'Streetnoise' is such a great lp!!_
Image result for affinity linda hoyle

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 15:24
The live album of Atlantis is fantastic. Not prog but absolutely great.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 15:32
SmileThanks! ive not checked out any of the Atlantis material but i'll definitely give the 'Live' lp a try and also the 'Frumpy Live' double Clap

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 17:26
I bought All Will Be Changed on LP back in 1989 and loved it from the very first listen. I immediately noticed the lead singer - Inga. She has a strong voice with a ballsy, almost masculine tone to it, but unique. The next time I saw a Frumpy LP was earlier this year - By The Way. Apart from the country rock of the opening track, it's a fine album the rest of the way, especially the lengthy title-cut.
I have a 6 DVD set called 'Krautrock Nacht' which features clips of both Frumpy and Atlantis. Great to see Rumpf and Kravetz in action. Inga is hot !!
 Post Reply Post Reply