Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlackfield new album: Welcome to What?!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Westsiyeed View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blackfield new album: Welcome to What?!!
    Posted: May 09 2011 at 22:54
I think that's the key with this album - SW has not had the involvement he's had with previous Blackfield albums. He's got so much going on that he's basically come in to do the vocals and contribute a song, then back to organising his other music.

That said, all Blackfield album's are primarily Geffen's writing, it's just the influence and input from SW has been dwindling over time.

I don't mind the album for what it is (slow pop-rock for want of a better term), but compared to other SW work it pales in comparison. I do love the song "Blood" though.
kolossusuk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 09:46
I am a Wilson obsessive and for me he could do no wrong,

HOWEVER this latest offering is utterly forgettable. Perhaps he is spreading himself a bit thin and this one was on the lines of a contractual obligation offering

First album was good as indeed was the second one, though to be honest, I am not a great fan of Geffen
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 07:30
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

Blackfield has always been pop rock. In that, they haven't really changed.

You have to remember that Aviv wrote all but one of the songs on this album. If you don't dig his stuff, you're not going to dig it.

I like Aviv's songs, however, and I feel that the new Blackfield album is wonderful. I bought the cd version, and may order the vinyl. It's the first Blackfield album I feel is worth owning on LP.
This is not about their genre or style. "Welcome ...." isn't good as their previous albums (IMO) and I think they step backward. Some friends talked about their live performance and said they are good on stage. I talked about their last studio album "Welcome..." and I like to know opinions about "Welcome..." not opinions about BLACKFIELD. Thanks.

As I said, they play the whole of the new album live. So these comments are relevant.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 06:08
Originally posted by ShipOfFools ShipOfFools wrote:

You have to remember that Aviv wrote all but one of the songs on this album. If you don't dig his stuff, you're not going to dig it.

I like Aviv's songs, however, and I feel that the new Blackfield album is wonderful. I bought the cd version, and may order the vinyl. It's the first Blackfield album I feel is worth owning on LP.
This is not about their genre or style. "Welcome ...." isn't good as their previous albums (IMO) and I think they step backward. Some friends talked about their live performance and said they are good on stage. I talked about their last studio album "Welcome..." and I like to know opinions about "Welcome..." not opinions about BLACKFIELD. Thanks.
domizia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 02:10
Blackfield were absolutely stunning onstage (saw them  twice a couple of weeks ago) and I strongly recommend to go and see them. They're about to begin the North American leg of the tour. They've sold out a few places in the European leg. The new tracks sound a LOT better live and it's always good to listen to the old ones played live -if you actually like their genre, that is! 
I'm among those who appreciate Aviv Geffen's genre and previous albums, though I learned about him after falling in love with Blackfield in 2007 at a show. That tour was more melancholic, and enchanting, while this one is more about having a good time and adding an edge of rock to the tracks. 
But hey, just don't go looking for Steven Wilson's average complexity here.

TheClosing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:35
I have absolutely no problem with pop, but it's not even a decent pop record. I wish Steve would retire Blackfield altogether. 
lensag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 13:28
I liked it.. a little passive agressive but it reflects the essence of a pop rock alternative band like blackfield..
I love the cover.
"when routine bites hard and ambitions are low,
and resentment rides high but emotions won´t grow
And we´re changing our ways, taking different roads..
Then love, love will tear us apart again.."
ShipOfFools View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 14:20

"Better than a thousand hollow words is one word that brings peace" - Buddha
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 12:28
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

THANK. YOU. PSY. LAAAAAAAAASSSSS

What's the significance to this link?

Good cover by Blackfield.

Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2011 at 00:01
THANK. YOU. PSY. LAAAAAAAAASSSSS

Edited by Harry Hood - April 10 2011 at 00:03
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 12:25
Go and enjoy. I'm sure they will good on stage. I like them and I only shared my opinion about their last album. Its not mean I ignore them or they are bad. Only another musical discuss in PA's forum. I don't have a chance to see them or any of my fav bands on stage. Use your chance.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:15
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Blackfield plays in my town next week. It seems that  you don't recommend me to go... LOL

My friend saw them this week and said they were brilliant. They did play the whole of the new album though. He said Pineapple theif wrev excellent too.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 05:09
Blackfield plays in my town next week. It seems that  you don't recommend me to go... LOL
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 13:43
I have their first two albums.  They're OK, but not great.  I listened to the song samples for "Welcome to my DNA" on Amazon and they sounded like nothing special.  I also keep hearing that the lyrics suck.  I don't think I'll be purchasing this album, I'm just not that interested. 

On the other hand, I will be looking forward to Steven Wilson's next solo album.
petraman View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 23:00
First off, I should mention that I've never heard this album (although I own the first two...  the new one isn't available in the states yet...), but I do know that many of these songs are just Aviv's songs translated from Hebrew (or at least they were on the first two albums) which may have something to do with the poor lyrics.  I'm a huge SW fan, but I agree that Blackfield is his weakest project, although what does that make it?  Compared to SWs other work it might be weak, but I still think it's rather good.  It's dark, but isn't most of SWs stuff like that?  I don't know, I'm still giving it a chance come the 19th...
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 19:24
I'm really looking forward to hearing it, actually. I haven't heard anything recently released by Wilson that I haven't loved.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:51
Originally posted by The Monodrone The Monodrone wrote:

And no one told me they want to say "F**k You". I love their first and second albums and I am SW fan. I didn't listened things like this from them. Maybe you can see future or read others mind. Maybe you have metaphisical abilities but I am a ordinary guy and I haven't special abilities. I must buy albums then listen to them or find 1 or 2 songs in internet. You wrong about this case. This kind of talking like " No one forced you" or  things like this don't work in this case!

I can assure that the "F**k You" is NOT intended towards the listener... I hope you don't actually think that.

Also, I have no idea what else you're trying to say; whenever you buy music that you haven't heard before (perhaps even by the same band) there's always the chance that you won't like it. But that's a risk you were willing to take by buying the album.

Artists don't usually/shouldn't create art that pleases everyone; what a stale world we would live in if that were so... it's impossible to please everyone, after all, we don't live in a Utopian society.

WOW. How can I listen to one album before I buy that? I dont undrestand you!! I buy my fav artists works because I know them. If Blackfield release another album, I buy it 100% and listene to it then talk about my opinion about that. I don't think this is unreasonabl! I dont know. Maybe you have another ways.

I respect your opinions, O666, but I'm not sure I understand them, that is all. Youtube is a great resource for previewing music.

All I'm saying is that just because you like a band's previous work doesn't mean they are going to tailor their future albums to each and everyone's tastes
100% agree with you. I know this. But when I love one musician like SW and listened to most of his works (PT,Blackfield,No-man,I.E.M,BC and his solos) ,its very normal to pay money for his new works (for me). As I said before I will buy next Blackfield work.Now about Youtube. I living in Iran and Youtube,Facebook and this kind of sites are FILTERed by goverment in Iran!!  Our Internet speed is so LOW and we have too many troubles to find this kind of music. For example you can find Lady Ga Ga's albums,songs,photos and.... very easy in Iran but NOT-POP stuffs are hard to find. I hope you undrestand me.
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:05

And no one told me they want to say "F**k You". I love their first and second albums and I am SW fan. I didn't listened things like this from them. Maybe you can see future or read others mind. Maybe you have metaphisical abilities but I am a ordinary guy and I haven't special abilities. I must buy albums then listen to them or find 1 or 2 songs in internet. You wrong about this case. This kind of talking like " No one forced you" or  things like this don't work in this case!

I can assure that the "F**k You" is NOT intended towards the listener... I hope you don't actually think that.

Also, I have no idea what else you're trying to say; whenever you buy music that you haven't heard before (perhaps even by the same band) there's always the chance that you won't like it. But that's a risk you were willing to take by buying the album.

Artists don't usually/shouldn't create art that pleases everyone; what a stale world we would live in if that were so... it's impossible to please everyone, after all, we don't live in a Utopian society.

WOW. How can I listen to one album before I buy that? I dont undrestand you!! I buy my fav artists works because I know them. If Blackfield release another album, I buy it 100% and listene to it then talk about my opinion about that. I don't think this is unreasonabl! I dont know. Maybe you have another ways.

I respect your opinions, O666, but I'm not sure I understand them, that is all. Youtube is a great resource for previewing music.

All I'm saying is that just because you like a band's previous work doesn't mean they are going to tailor their future albums to each and everyone's tastes. 

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:01

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 14:55
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I don't think he is saying f**k you to you...or to any of the fans. Do you think all songs are directed at you?
Why are you saying that? This song have only those sentences that i wrote. No. I never think all songs direct to me and I know you undrestand my opinion! Please tell me they talk to who? I listened too many songs same to "Go to Hell". Frank Zappa have this kind of lyrics too but I undrestand what he say.
You are very smart Snow Dog and I like it. Its very clear that they dont know me and I am not their aim! They say to all their listeners "F**k You" (IMO) . Avin try to say : " Oh. I am very different guy" .(IMO)
Finaly I dont judge "Welcome to...." by 1 or 2 songs. I don't like this album from start to end and I have my reasons. This is my opinion. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>