Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPeter Bardens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Bardens
    Posted: April 05 2011 at 17:03
As a Camel fan , i recently got most of Peter albums and i'm still wondering why he never managed to succeed a real great album of his own, think it's because he was not realy keen on prog and his albums were mixed bags, what's your opinion about that? ( despite everything i like SEEN ONE EARTH )Ermm

Edited by jean-marie - April 05 2011 at 17:04
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 17:54
I haven't heard them, though I do love Peter's playing on Camel.

Various players who have played in a Prog band doesn't mean they're really keen on that genre, or actually interested in playing more of it than with their main band.

Just look at Jan Hammer's discography, George Duke's, Wakeman's, Wright's, just simply mentioning keyboardists, the majority of these discography have anything to do with what they're actually known for. (yes I know Wakeman did Prog recordings, but most of his aren't really in that vein, and he was actually way more ambitious than say Yes' works)

giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 18:32
Peter was a good journeyman, a handy man to have in your band, albeit a bit precious at times. He talked a better game than he played or composed, which is sometimes a good quality to have for your own PR. Overachieved as it is.
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 03:10
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Various players who have played in a Prog band doesn't mean they're really keen on that genre, or actually interested in playing more of it than with their main band.

Just look at Jan Hammer's discography, George Duke's, Wakeman's, Wright's, just simply mentioning keyboardists, the majority of these discography have anything to do with what they're actually known for. (yes I know Wakeman did Prog recordings, but most of his aren't really in that vein, and he was actually way more ambitious than say Yes' works)     but for rick , broken china and zee are realy prog to me, ant the first one wet dream realy floydian, and hammer did great things ,for instance the one with JERRY GOODMAN, like children,  peter's albums are average Ermm

Edited by jean-marie - April 06 2011 at 04:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 03:18
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

Peter was a good journeyman, a handy man to have in your band, albeit a bit precious at times. He talked a better game than he played or composed, which is sometimes a good quality to have for your own PR. Overachieved as it is.
       or maybe he needed some direction? all cocomposed tracks with Andy are great and his own writting could be oudstanding, see spirit of the water from MOONMADNESS
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 03:35
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

or maybe he needed some direction? all cocomposed tracks with Andy are great and his own writting could be oudstanding, see spirit of the water from MOONMADNESS
Listening to Spirit of the Water, I agree. Fine song, haunting piano and melody, more of that would have been great to hear. Puzzling why it didn't happen. Perhaps you're right about direction? Or opportunity? Is that the only example? Was that a peak or a one-off? I don't think it could be a fluke, for there is maturity in the melody. Perhaps it came from his playing experience rather than a writing head? Intriguing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 04:06

Listening to Spirit of the Water, I agree. Fine song, haunting piano and melody, more of that would have been great to hear. Puzzling why it didn't happen. Perhaps you're right about direction? Or opportunity? Is that the only example? Was that a peak or a one-off? I don't think it could be a fluke, for there is maturity in the melody. Perhaps it came from his playing experience rather than a writing head? Intriguing.
  his playing experience, you're probably right, he did so much different stuff before, he even played with Morisson THEM
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 08:11

I only know "The answer". Nice but anecdotic. What's its best, according to you?

JeanFrame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 09:57
A mercurial talent, both in writing and playing, but very capable of good things in both.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 13:03

his playing experience, you're probably right, he did so much different stuff before, he even played with Morisson THEM
  And he played on Van's Wavelength album. Bardens influenced so many, even Fleetwood Mac. Just listend to Van Morrison's ' Dweller On The Threshold" and you will instantly pick up PB's sound.

A bit like Tony Banks, nothing majorly good but for instance Camel would not have achieved what they did without him. Integral to their success right up to Breathless. I prefer to remember him for hisstyles and influences. Spirit of the Water is " Special". Try locating the version sung by Taleulah ( His daughter) at his funeral...goosebump material.

Edited by Chris S - April 06 2011 at 13:04
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 15:57
ok ! thanks! my favourite soloalbums could be seen one earth and heart to heart, i've got wavelengh, nice album peter was in the shotgun express too and peter loonies or something like that, and i'm not quite sure about that,in the belfast gypsies
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:35

As a Camel fan , i recently got most of Peter albums and i'm still wondering why he never managed to succeed a real great album of his own, think it's because he was not realy keen on prog and his albums were mixed bags, what's your opinion about that? ( despite everything i like SEEN ONE EARTH )Ermm

Nice to see some appreciation for Seen One Earth! It's a bit of a mixed bag, but the title track is a sublime work, worth the price of admission, IMO! It's long OOP but well worth hunting down.

Unfortunately, I didn't much care for Speed Of Light, and Water Colors is a very subdued recording (but that was Peter's intention).

I used to have The Answer, his pre-Camel solo album. Good if you like the early '70s proto-prog sound.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:43
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Just look at Jan Hammer's discography, George Duke's, Wakeman's, Wright's, just simply mentioning keyboardists, the majority of these discography have anything to do with what they're actually known for. (yes I know Wakeman did Prog recordings, but most of his aren't really in that vein, and he was actually way more ambitious than say Yes' works)

Jan Hammer's fusion and soundtrack works are what he's most known for, but his rock albums are pretty alright, if you've the ear for that sort of stuff.

He did a couple with his band Hammer (first album is better) and there are the two with Neal Schon as Schon/ Hammer. Those are solid rock albums with around a half-dozen nice instrumentals between the two.

Of course, Jeff Beck fans know Jan for his sterling contributions to a number of JB's releases.

Oh, yes, Jan did an album with James Young ("JY" of Styx). Let's not discuss that. LOL

-------

Getting into Rick Wakeman, I'd wager the majority of his solo albums do fall under the prog banner, including his keyboards/electronics affairs like 2000 A.D. Into The Future and his soundtrack for The Burning. He also did a set of instrumentals in band format for the "B" side of The Burning soundtrack album. Zodiaque is a keyboards-drums affair with his chum Tony Fernandez.

Rick's pair of recent Retro CDs were great. Too bad he shelved the idea to do a third one. I guess those two didn't sell well enough. Aren't there enough Wakefans by now to support his endeavors? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 16:53
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Nice to see some appreciation for Seen One Earth! It's a bit of a mixed bag, but the title track is a sublime work, worth the price of admission, IMO! It's long OOP but well worth hunting down.

Unfortunately, I didn't much care for Speed Of Light, and Water Colors is a very subdued recording (but that was Peter's intention).

I used to have The Answer, his pre-Camel solo album. Good if you like the early '70s proto-prog sound.
i agree , the answer is a nice album but not realy outstanding
 Post Reply Post Reply