Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPete Namlook is insane

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pete Namlook is insane
    Posted: April 05 2011 at 18:14
I was adding Pete Namlook's studio albums which were missing in our database these days:

1. Labyrinth 2 (with Lorenzo Montanà)
    Namlook, Pete
  2. Labyrinth (with Lorenzo Montanà)
    Namlook, Pete
  3. Namlook / Le Mar (with Gabriel Le Mar)
    Namlook, Pete
  4. XXIII: Stranger III (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  5. XXII: Stranger II (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  6. XXI: Stranger I (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  7. XX: Taygete (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  8. XIX: Dawning of a New Decade (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  9. XVIII: Sexoid (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  10. XVII: There! (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  11. XVI: Travelling the Silk Route (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  12. Virtual Vices VI (with Wolfram Spyra)
    Namlook, Pete
  13. Namlook XXVI - Pearl IV
    Namlook, Pete
  14. Namlook XXV - Permutations
    Namlook, Pete
  15. Namlook XXIV - Pearl III
    Namlook, Pete
  16. Namlook XXIV - Pearl II
    Namlook, Pete
  17. Namlook XXIII - Pearl
    Namlook, Pete
  18. Namlook XXII - Music for Urban Meditation III
    Namlook, Pete
  19. Namlook XXI - Subconscious Worlds
    Namlook, Pete
  20. XV: Raumland Sphäre (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  21. XIV: Raumland Montage (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  22. XIII: Raumland Exploration (with Move D)
    Namlook, Pete
  23. Re:sonate (with Gaudi)
    Namlook, Pete
  24. Russian Spring (with New Composers)
    Namlook, Pete
  25. Pp. Nmlk (with Jochem Paap)
    Namlook, Pete
  26. Sultan Orhan (with Burhan Öçal)
    Namlook, Pete
  27. Possible Gardens (with Peter Prochir)
    Namlook, Pete
  28. Adlernebel (with DJ Dag)
    Namlook, Pete
  29. Jet Chamber V (with Atom Heart)
    Namlook, Pete
  30. Planetarium 2 (with New Composers)
    Namlook, Pete
  31. S.H.A.D.O. 2 (with Higher Intelligence Agency)
    Namlook, Pete
  32. Polytime (with Karl Berger)
    Namlook, Pete
  33. Miles Apart (with Peter Prochir)
    Namlook, Pete
  34. Planetarium (with New Composers)
    Namlook, Pete
  35. Sultan Osman ( with Burhan Öçal)
    Namlook, Pete
  36. Silent Music (with Dandy Jack)
    Namlook, Pete
  37. Jet Chamber IV (with Atom Heart)
    Namlook, Pete
  38. Silence III
    Namlook, Pete
  39. Pete Namlook / Hubertus Held (with Hubertus Held)
    Namlook, Pete
  40. Elektro II (with Robert Görl)
    Namlook, Pete
  41. S.H.A.D.O. (with Higher Intelligence Agency)
    Namlook, Pete
  42. Amp II: Red Stripes On a White Wall (with Dandy Jack)
    Namlook, Pete
  43. From Within 3 (with Richie Hawtin)
    Namlook, Pete
  44. Jet Chamber III (with Atom Heart)
    Namlook, Pete
  45. Create 2 (with Charles Uzzell-Edwards)
    Namlook, Pete
  46. Ozoona (with Rob Gordon)
    Namlook, Pete
  47. Elektro (with Robert Görl)
    Namlook, Pete
  48. Sultan (with Burhan Öçal)
    Namlook, Pete
  49. Amp (with Dandy Jack)
    Namlook, Pete
  50. Jet Chamber II (with Atom Heart)
    Namlook, Pete
  51. A New Consciousness 2 (with Charles Uzzell-Edwards)
    Namlook, Pete
  52. Kooler (with Robert Sattler)
    Namlook, Pete
  53. The Putney II (with Ludwig Rehberg)
    Namlook, Pete
  54. Wechselspannung 2 (with Jonah Sharp)
    Namlook, Pete
  55. From Within 2 (with Richie Hawtin)
    Namlook, Pete
  56. Jet Chamber (with Atom Heart)
    Namlook, Pete
  57. Create (with Charles Uzzell-Edwards)
    Namlook, Pete
  58. A New Consciousness (with Charles Uzzell-Edwards)
    Namlook, Pete
  59. Escape (with Dr. Atmo)
    Namlook, Pete
  60. Wechselspannung (with Jonah Sharp)
    Namlook, Pete
  61. Alien Community 2 (with Jonah Sharp)
    Namlook, Pete
  62. From Within (with Richie Hawtin)
    Namlook, Pete
  63. Hemisphere (with Steve Stoll)
    Namlook, Pete
  64. Sequential (with DJ Criss)
    Namlook, Pete
  65. Limelight (with DJ Brainwave)
    Namlook, Pete
  66. The Putney (with Ludwig Rehberg)
    Namlook, Pete
  67. Alien Community (with Jonah Sharp)
    Namlook, Pete
  68. Dreamfish 2 (with Mixmaster Morris)
    Namlook, Pete
  69. Dreamfish (with Mixmaster Morris)
    Namlook, Pete
  70. Hearts of Space (with Pascal F.E.O.S.)
    Namlook, Pete

The rest have been added by Rico while he was a collab in Electronic Team.

If I'm not much mistaken, Pete Namlook is PA TOP artist by a number of studio albums (136 albums), Senmuth and John Zorn are not even close (both with 78 entries), and Sebastien Gramond (62 entries).

Add to all that 11 studio album done in collaboration with Klaus Schulze (in Schulze's entry) and two with Biosphere (in his entry) - that's reaching the figure of 149 albums (!) so far, not counting live records and compilations, or singles/EP's (which are not listed yet).

With such an enormous quantity I was skeptical with quality - it seems he pooped every half-baked idea of his on an album; however I checked 'Dreamfish' and 'Dreamfish 2'...the albums are not good, they're stunning! Real ambient/electronic/epic/spacey pieces of music songwriting.

It seems (I browsed around the Web to get some info) that about 10 - 20 % of his albums are done in techno/dance/dub stuff, the rest is more or less 'old school' electronic ambient music. He did a number of albums with Turkish percussionist Burhan Öçal, with Schulze, and with Bill Laswell...

...anyone wants to share Namlook's listening experience and perhaps give a few suggestions?

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 18:50
John Zorn solo only has 78 entries, but that does not include Painkiller, Naked City, Masada, Moonchild, and Bar Kokhba. The number of albums he has a major contribution to is closer to 170 (granted, some of those are live, and not all of them appear on PA but I don't have the patience to sort through it all right now). 

Now that I'm done being a pedant, yes that is a lot of albums. Rico complained occasionally in Shred Room that he was the only person on PA who cared about Pete, lol. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 19:38
Pete Namlook has done some excellent stuff - but in my opinion not influential or ground-breaking. I find it intriguing that of all the possible electronic techno artists, his work is that which represents the genre on PA. Must get around to reviewing a few...
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2011 at 04:10

It's totally intimidating!

I can very much recommend the AIR series for old-school Dream/Schulze electronics
Also the more ambient PSYCHONAVIGATION series with Bill Laswell has some strong moments (especially No2)
And of course, the DARK SIDE OF THE MOOG is generally good and at times excellent.

He's not really innovative indeed (PA doesn't have post-70's innovative electronic artists Cry)

Let's start with some AIR material

Edited by Bonnek - April 06 2011 at 04:15
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 01:44
Hi,

Believe it or not, Pete is the one artist that I have heard a lot of, and have none of his work. 

Not sure why ... probably not earth-shattering creativity, but in the end, as you can see when you go back to listen to it, it is rather striking and nice, and not always boring.

I always thought of Pete as one of those people that go around saying that life is art ... and everything you play, therefore, is art ... and whatever is in it, is in it ... and there is no how or why ... it just is what it is ... and you do not exactly question how it got there ... you either enjoy "the process" ... or you don't.

In a way, the music school that is Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook, is this school ... it is about the music itself and the living through it, and has less to do with the notes and the chords and the "music" and therefore the "definition" that we are trying to invent for it, than it does with the actual experience at that moment in time ... which you can never really recapture ... but Pete has a piece of music to live by it if he wishes to do so.

The art and music schools in Europe had a very serious period of trying very hard to dispense with the meanings and the ideas ... and to simply do and live through it ... kinda interesting to see that America also had it with Julian Beck and the Living Theater and many others ... which in the end was totally forgotten and not appreciated, because people could not appreciate "live performance" ... and we have become an audience that wants to live an experience that has less to do with the artist than it does with the way that piece of music affected us 40 years ago!

It is actually rather nice to hear this now ... and see the difference ... and how you and I look at the music ... look at the reviews of so much "progressive music" ... we can't even appreciate the music for the music's sakes and its "experience" ... we have to attach some kind of meaning, as a way to try and add that meaning to our lives ... which is a sign of how empty we are inside, rather than anything else ... but us sitting here and accepting that process ... because it is NOT a thought ... is very hard.

And this was why things like Schulze and Garrard were so nice and valuable for me ... you would die to have the chance to live through a moment and have the courage to do something like that ... where the boundaries are ... YOU ... not anything else ... and how you react to it ... and never have to feel limited or scared to do so ... but this is not something that we are very good at appreciating, because it does not have all the bits and pieces of familiarity that we have decided is the definition of "art" ... that must have a name ... and things like this defy that ... and I for one, am very glad that it does ... maybe a lack of respect for the ideas themselves ... but in the end, a healthy love for the creative process and what it brings out ... sometimes, the results are astonishing ... but we have to be willing to see them, and to experience them ... 

Again ... you decide!

And yes ... this write up is not for people that have headaches, because they could really use this stuff to help sort out those headaches! Exclamation
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Ge Someone View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 16:31
Although I think Namlook is influential in the ambient and/or chill-out genres, I couldn't rate any of his work as "Excellent addition to a prog rock music collection". Between some boring and overly long baring offerings there are a couple that rise above average. Like the already mentioned Mixmaster Morris series, the Silence series (started with Dr.Atmo) and the From Within series with Richie Hawtin. There are more of course.
The ongoing collaboration with David Moufang (Move D) more or less switched to a trilogy a year, starting with Raumland. As I understood, in this project the tracks are recorded and improvised in one go (just edited to lenght) and lately their musical ideas are spread somewhat thin. At least I would hope for a bit more eh.. progression.

Worthy to mention is that Pete Namlook mixes almost all his albums in 5.1 (since halfway 2006), they can be played on DTS capable equipment, a stereo CD is included en downloads (iTunes or Beatbox) are stereo only too.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 18:26
I've not listened to any Pete Namlook because the mass of his discography is so intimidating. I'm also scared that I won't find any weak material, and I'll feel compelled to buy all of his albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply