Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlade Runner Trilogy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade Runner Trilogy
    Posted: April 07 2011 at 12:19
haven't seen any review about this boxset , would like to know from you all vangelis fans on PA ,what do you think about it , the first cd is original soundtrack, the second one stuff that haven't been used , and the third , new tracks vangelis composed thinkink back to the movie
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 01:30
I've had it for quite a while now. I suppose I should review it but I'm very lazyEmbarrassed

I'm not impressed by the new material. Vangelis has struggled to come up with anything interesting for a while and would only give this 2 stars on its own.

The packaging is lovely though and worth having if you are a fan of both the film and Vangelis as I am.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 01:51
Hi,

I have not gotten this yet and plan to ... and will probably review it ... 

For the life of me, this film, with its music and everything else, is probably the number one film in my life ... very few films resonate as much about me as this one does ... and that ending ... I hope I have enough strength, love and direction to be as accepting of it all ... as Roy was ... you fight, and do the best you can ... and sometimes, that is just not enough ... 

yeah ... 
all tears in the rain!

It wasn't even sad for me ... but it helped me learn, and KNOW, what is art and what is talk!

I always thought that Vangelis deserved the Oscar for this film's music a lot more ... but the other film that got him his Oscar, the director had a theme and idea that was much easier for you and I to accept and understand ... and in the end, the director Hudson made fantastic use of the music ... but for me, Blade Runner is the one film that will be remembered way more ... 

... the owl ... is that real? ... 

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2011 at 01:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 04:46
i've got it but didn't review it because my english is a bit poor, i've been a bit disapointed at first listenings but i'm starting to realy enjoy it, specialy the new tracks vangelis added, the previous unreleased stuff is interresting but not that outstanding. No new stuff since mythodea, vangelis seems to be tired.......
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 07:20
Didn't know about this.  I have the movie on DVD but never got the soundtrack.  Due to budgetary reasons and the need to buy a new shelving unit, I have put new acquisitions to an extreme slow down.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 08:21
I think I have a 2-disc one. Or the first two discs of the 3-disc set. Either way, brilliant all around.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 10:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I have not gotten this yet and plan to ... and will probably review it ... 

For the life of me, this film, with its music and everything else, is probably the number one film in my life ... very few films resonate as much about me as this one does ... and that ending ... I hope I have enough strength, love and direction to be as accepting of it all ... as Roy was ... you fight, and do the best you can ... and sometimes, that is just not enough ... 

yeah ... 
all tears in the rain!     see how it's strange,vangelis started to be famous ( in europe ) with aphrodite hit rain and tears  Wink

It wasn't even sad for me ... but it helped me learn, and KNOW, what is art and what is talk!

I always thought that Vangelis deserved the Oscar for this film's music a lot more ... but the other film that got him his Oscar, the director had a theme and idea that was much easier for you and I to accept and understand ... and in the end, the director Hudson made fantastic use of the music ... but for me, Blade Runner is the one film that will be remembered way more ... 

... the owl ... is that real? ... 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 16:06
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

i've got it but didn't review it because my english is a bit poor, i've been a bit disapointed at first listenings but i'm starting to realy enjoy it, specialy the new tracks vangelis added, the previous unreleased stuff is interresting but not that outstanding. No new stuff since mythodea, vangelis seems to be tired.......

He did do the soundtrack for the film Alexander as well as the new material for Blade Runner. Not sure there is much else though.

On a par with Blade Runner imo is his soundrack for The Bounty (the Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins remake). Actually a very good film despite the poorish reviews it got on release.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 17:48
i would like to get the whole stuff he composed for the bounty but only heard the two tracks on the compilation, the same with Polansky bitter moon but anyway thanks for the link Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 18:12
Hi,

I'm not sure that Vangelis is "tired" ... I just think that he has earned a good rest and chance to enjoy life and not have to feel like he is obligated to create music.

He has, for 30 some years been harshly opposed to the "commercial" music and its related slavery, and his way of creating music is very spontaneous and sometimes crazy and he throws everything in including the teaspoons (no kidding!) ... and ... he has done so much beautiful music all his life, that not hearing another piece from him ever again, is just fine with me ... and we can go back to his stuff with Aphrodite's Child (thx for the thought ... didn't realize about that song btw.... but you can bet I'm chasing it down now!) ... there is so much ... and such taste, talent, experimentation ... you really can not ask for more from any composer ... and he will be remembered as one of the greats of the 20th century and deservedly so!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure that Vangelis is "tired" ... I just think that he has earned a good rest and chance to enjoy life and not have to feel like he is obligated to create music.

He has, for 30 some years been harshly opposed to the "commercial" music and its related slavery, and his way of creating music is very spontaneous and sometimes crazy and he throws everything in including the teaspoons (no kidding!) ... and ... he has done so much beautiful music all his life, that not hearing another piece from him ever again, is just fine with me ... and we can go back to his stuff with Aphrodite's Child (thx for the thought ... didn't realize about that song btw.... but you can bet I'm chasing it down now!) ... there is so much ... and such taste, talent, experimentation ... you really can not ask for more from any composer ... and he will be remembered as one of the greats of the 20th century and deservedly so!      well , as sung James Taylor, you've got a friend! Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 18:48

...      well , as sung James Taylor, you've got a friend! Wink

You know the funny thing about all this? ... Vangelis had so many soundtracks, and in the end, ALL of his music is a veritable soundtrack for your mind ... be it with Demis Roussos singing, or Irene Pappas doing her thing, or some lions doing the rawr thing, or some rain passing through, or the nifty sound of a crab crawling from left to right on the keyboard ... he has been so visual ... for so long ... and too many times I think that we missed one of the most important clues about music in its own history ... people trying to make life come alive through its music ... and to me, this is where all the "progressive" folks are so important ... even without the lyrics, the music stands up ... and bautifully so ... you can still fly with Tales of Topographic Oceans without the lyrics ... you can still fly with Passion Play without the lyrics ...

And I think that has been my only measuring stick ever!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 02:00

Don't forget his collaboration with Jon Anderson. Some very beautifull music to be found there as well.

I think between 1975 to 1985 he had no peers within electronic and instrumental music. It was a very settled time for him when he was recording in the same studio in London. In a way he has struggled since then although he did eventually produce what I consider to be his most beautifull work El Greco. (btw he has two completely seperate works based on El Greco. The second one was done for a little known documentary film).

Although I accept what Moshkito says that he has given so much already so let him be,I would be dissapoointed if he unable to come up with at least one more masterpeice. I live in hope.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 08:59
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Don't forget his collaboration with Jon Anderson. Some very beautifull music to be found there as well.

I think between 1975 to 1985 he had no peers within electronic and instrumental music. It was a very settled time for him when he was recording in the same studio in London. In a way he has struggled since then although he did eventually produce what I consider to be his most beautifull work El Greco. (btw he has two completely seperate works based on El Greco. The second one was done for a little known documentary film).

Although I accept what Moshkito says that he has given so much already so let him be,I would be dissapoointed if he unable to come up with at least one more masterpeice. I live in hope.      so i do!!!!!!!Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 13:19
yes! Richard! how did i forget Alexander? don't like the movie but love the music, to all those keen on vangelis i want to quote a Melina Mercouri album tittled si Melinda m'etait comptee, Vangelis plays on three tracks,realy good , it's from the early seventies, try it!!!Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 13:21

yes! Richard! how did i forget Alexander? don't like the movie but love the music, to all those keen on vangelis i want to quote a Melinna Mercouri album tittled si Melinna m'etait comptee, Vangelis plays on three tracks,realy good , it's from the early seventies, try it!!!Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 14:16
Call me square, but I really like 1492 Conquest of Paradise and Chariots of Fire. Releasing the soundtrack to Missing would be nice, I like that one too.

I haven't heard the 3-disc Blade Runner box set - coincidentally, I did play the single disc version this morning before I'd even seen this thread. However, prompted by this, I have just ordered it from Amazon. Approve
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 17:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Call me square, but I really like 1492 Conquest of Paradise and Chariots of Fire. Releasing the soundtrack to Missing would be nice, I like that one too.

I haven't heard the 3-disc Blade Runner box set - coincidentally, I did play the single disc version this morning before I'd even seen this thread. However, prompted by this, I have just ordered it from Amazon. Approve
yhe same as you! HugSmile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 14:01
so nobodyelse got it? Unhappy LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply