Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVdGG vs Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: ????????????????????????????
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
71 [50.35%]
70 [49.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Moorglader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: VdGG vs Jethro Tull
    Posted: July 12 2012 at 12:22
This is a non vote for me. It's a bit like saying which bollock would you like surgically removed. Neither.
'You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimiganible power and light, and you will return to those realms'

Terence Mckenna
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 20:06
Jethro Tull only for TAAB.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 10:20
tary View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 08:24

I know that Dickinson loves both bands- VDGG and Jethro Tull, but Iron Maiden is not only Dickinson.... The main songwriter and heart of Iron Maiden is Steve Harris, who himself has said many times that A Passion Play, Thick as a Brick and Aqualung are his favorite albums (along with Foxtrot by Genesis) and that in his opinion Ian Anderson is a genius!

Ian Anderson is also the greatest flute player in Rock music and Martin Barre is amazing guitarist, who has influenced people like Steve Vai and other great guitar players... and many guitarists like Mark Knopfler say that Martin's guitar work with Jethro Tull is genius.

My favorite song is Thick As A Brick, which is 45 minute masterpiece! It has great guitar work, great flute work, great drumming, great bass lines, etc... Just phenomenal! Beyond the top! and it never gets boring, it changes all the time but meanwhile it gives a feeling that you are listening to the same song and not just joint of songs! Also, this song incorporates the styles from - Classical, Jazz and Folk! Once you get into the whole song, you will never get bored of it!

One of my favourite prog rock songs is A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers, but I don't think it can even touch Thick As A Brick!

Cheers!

tary View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 08:23
I know that Dickinson loves both bands- VDGG and Jethro Tull, but Iron Maiden is not only Dickinson.... The main songwriter and heart of Iron Maiden is Steve Harris, who himself has said many times that A Passion Play, Thick as a Brick and Aqualung are his favorite albums (along with Foxtrot by Genesis) and that in his opinion Ian Anderson is a genius!

Ian Anderson is also the greatest flute player in Rock music and Martin Barre is amazing guitarist, who has influenced people like Steve Vai and other great guitar players... and many guitarists like Mark Knopfler say that Martin's guitar work with Jethro Tull is genius.

My favorite song is Thick As A Brick, which is 45 minute masterpiece! It has great guitar work, great flute work, great drumming, great bass lines, etc... Just phenomenal! Beyond the top! and it never gets boring, it changes all the time but meanwhile it gives a feeling that you are listening to the same song and not just joint of songs! Also, this song incorporates the styles from - Classical, Jazz and Folk! Once you get into the whole song, you will never get bored of it!

One of my favourite prog rock songs is A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers, but I don't think it can even touch Thick As A Brick!

Cheers!
rrttt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 07:59
While I love VDGG, I believe that Jethro Tull is the most talented band ever! Thick as a brick can't be beaten!!!! Jethro Tull, easily!!!!!!
Glucose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 10:58
I'm surprised Graaf are still leading despite of so many Tull fans.I love Aqualung, but I don't think TAAB is something so special, but reading all the comments i decided to give it 'another chance'.
Under the rocks and stones,
there is water underground

geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 10:18
Originally posted by wjohnd wjohnd wrote:

Tull all the way.
Martin Barre beats erm.. who plays guitar for vdgg again?
Peter Hammill

Edited by geneyesontle - June 25 2012 at 10:18
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 10:16
Tull.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 05:25
VDGG lolz
There be dragons
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 05:19
Jethro Tull anyway and anywhere...
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2012 at 00:23
This is a tough one.  While VDGG is one of my three favorite bands, Tull has put out one of my top three albums with TAAB, and Aqualung and APP aren't that far behind.  Godbluff, Still Life and Pawn Hearts are all incredible albums but none quite reach my top three.  But for overall output, I'm still going to have to go with Vandie.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 23:46
Major Tull-skull here, so you know my vote.  And I don't care who else likes who - it's my vote.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

a musician without ego is a failed artist.

Sounds like a quote said by a wise man. Who said it originally?

I don't know. Since I am not wise, I must have paraphrased someone. Wink

But George Bernard Shaw once said:

"Hell is full of musical amateurs.
Music is the brandy of the damned."

Not that it has anything to do with anything. I just like the quote.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:32
^ Oh, we are talking just about prog. OK.

a musician without ego is a failed artist.

Sounds like a quote said by a wise man. Who said it originally?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - June 24 2012 at 22:33
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:29
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ And why are you writing this?

Cos it's the reason why old prog is the only prog Smile
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:26
^ And why are you writing this?
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 22:21

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

By choosing the guitar as your instrument says alot about your lack of creativety and melody Smile

That's simply wrong, I would lend you my recordings of Segovia, Django or Paco de Lucia to show you haven't a clue in this regard.

Was a different thing in the late 60s though after Hendrix made the isntrument cool for a while. But after the early 70s the guitar is the last instrument I'd want to learn especially that most people choose guitar as an instrument and that's mainly to pick up chicks. Doesn't matter how crap the music is ;)

Wait...picking up chicks is a bad thing? Oh wait, let me guess, in high school you were one of the geeks in band hall with your tuba and a handful of lotion, while  the guys with guitars in rock bands got all the girls.LOL

We're talking about music. Not chicks Cool

I realize that "Dr. Prog", but you made the daft proposition that guitarists lack creativity and melody - a definite headscratcher from someone with a doctorate in "progtology" Ermm. I offered three masters of their craft and you made no reply. I would suggest that the ability to "pick up chicks" is a byproduct of good musicianship (one doesn't merely have a guitar sitting around and "voila" you're a chick magnet, although having a Harley does the trick), and it is also a musician's innate need for recognition (a musician without ego is a failed artist).

What exactly have you got against the guitar? It is portable. One can play an entire song with it (unlike a bassoon or a tuba). You can sing while you play. You can add another instrument (I strap a blues harp around my neck). And if you are in a band that at least plays in bars, from personal experience I can tell you, you do have the ability to pick up the ladies. Beyond that, one can play incredibly complex compositions or simple folk tunes, be gritty or lyrical, play metal or downright beautiful melodies on a guitar. As Liebniz would say, "You have the best of all possible worlds".

So who pissed on your plectrum, proggy?

I'm talking more about rock guitarists who started after 1975. The pre 75 guitarists in prog bands played like jazz guitarists. That's the way guitar should be played. They just played their bits within a melody. It was never about riff and solos. But they knew how to play a good solo though. Classical guitarists are pretty pure these days too. No influence of 80s, 90s and 00s rock Big smile. But when it comes to electric guitar, i can't stand the sound they get post 1983. The whole concept of guitar just sucks since the mid 80s though. The sound, the image, the control they want to have over a song. If I had a prog band, I'd only apply for a jazz guitarist. Either that or just play simple bits myself Tongue

Edited by dr prog - June 24 2012 at 22:27
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 20:56

By choosing the guitar as your instrument says alot about your lack of creativety and melody Smile

That's simply wrong, I would lend you my recordings of Segovia, Django or Paco de Lucia to show you haven't a clue in this regard.

Was a different thing in the late 60s though after Hendrix made the isntrument cool for a while. But after the early 70s the guitar is the last instrument I'd want to learn especially that most people choose guitar as an instrument and that's mainly to pick up chicks. Doesn't matter how crap the music is ;)

Wait...picking up chicks is a bad thing? Oh wait, let me guess, in high school you were one of the geeks in band hall with your tuba and a handful of lotion, while  the guys with guitars in rock bands got all the girls.LOL

I realize that "Dr. Prog", but you made the daft proposition that guitarists lack creativity and melody - a definite headscratcher from someone with a doctorate in "progtology" Ermm. I offered three masters of their craft and you made no reply. I would suggest that the ability to "pick up chicks" is a byproduct of good musicianship (one doesn't merely have a guitar sitting around and "voila" you're a chick magnet, although having a Harley does the trick), and it is also a musician's innate need for recognition (a musician without ego is a failed artist).

What exactly have you got against the guitar? It is portable. One can play an entire song with it (unlike a bassoon or a tuba). You can sing while you play. You can add another instrument (I strap a blues harp around my neck). And if you are in a band that at least plays in bars, from personal experience I can tell you, you do have the ability to pick up the ladies. Beyond that, one can play incredibly complex compositions or simple folk tunes, be gritty or lyrical, play metal or downright beautiful melodies on a guitar. As Liebniz would say, "You have the best of all possible worlds".

So who pissed on your plectrum, proggy?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2012 at 20:06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>