Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman vs Manfred Mann

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: whos the best keybord/piano/organ/mellotron/electric piano player
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [56.67%]
11 [36.67%]
2 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rick Wakeman vs Manfred Mann
    Posted: April 11 2011 at 04:11
whos most important

whos best technicly

who did most for rock (or for the importance of keybords in popular music)

who do YOU like personly the most, LIKE enjoy listening to

one is of course more popular here then the other, while the other one is often forgotten here, both as a artist

but also as one of the greats in rock and symphonic keybord preformance

Acting on your best behaviour
Turn your back on mother nature
Everybody wants to rule the world
Gandalff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 04:29
Another Goliath vs. David poll. I wonder whos still create these bunches of strange polls (although in this case its about slightly less oddity).

I picked Wakeman and I would surprised he wouldnt win. But Mann is bloody good keyboardist and composer too. And, of course, much more popular on commercial broadcasting, if we count his 60s work.Wink
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna mriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-driel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, s nef aearon!

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 04:33
I think Mann is an equal respected keybordist by those who actually plays keybords them selvs (that includes Rick Wakeman). he is probably also one of the first Keybords wizards in rock as well, he is what I would call kebords wizard pioneer, Rick, Kieth, Anthony and Kerry and the likes is he's deciples.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 06:14
Sorry but no contest unless Wakeman was up against Emerson or Moraz, then that would be a closer call.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 07:53
Other than "Blinded by the Light" and "Quinn the Eskimo", I'm not really up on Manfred Mann. Wakeman has made more records than Guinness.
Please pay a visit to my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music reviews, literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:45
Manfred Mann!
Mikael Akerfeldt for fans of Opeth who don't like his growls (and generally the growls): If they don't like it then they are pussies.

Extreme prog metal rules!!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 11:16

I do have some Manfred Manns Earth Band albums. Their live stuff is tremendous. Mann comes from the Banks/Wright keyboard school ,not flashy and supporting the music. Wakemen is from the flashier (showier) side of prog. No real comparison.Both are excellent though.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by richardh

I do have some Manfred Manns Earth Band albums. Their live stuff is tremendous. Mann comes from the Banks/Wright keyboard school ,not flashy and supporting the music. Wakemen is from the flashier (showier) side of prog. No real comparison.Both are excellent though.

but Mann was way earlyer and can be caled a pioneer, since he developed he's style allready in the 50s and found it in the 60s and had it in the 70s.

also the way he arranged cover songs to become he's own is unique,

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 13:17
The bloke in the cape.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 14:31
Manfred Mann
Badabing666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Badabing666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 16:07
The Grumpy Old Man
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 16:22
I really like this song (cover song), by Mann great mellotron and hammond work and nice epic structure and great lyrics by Dylan

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 16:41
Originally posted by aginor

Originally posted by richardh

but Mann was way earlyer and can be caled a pioneer, since he developed he's style allready in the 50s and found it in the 60s and had it in the 70s.

also the way he arranged cover songs to become he's own is unique,

His style though was a more sixties based style not at all like the early prog keyboard players.

Mann only moved to a prog style when he formed the Earth Band in the seventies.

I do like him though but I think he followed the trends rather than creating them so I don't really accept he was a 'pioneer'.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote akaBona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 16:46
this one goes to Wakeman
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 17:18
Originally posted by Prog Geo

Manfred Mann!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 20:07
Hi,

Manfred Mann!

He was there before, and in the end, his histroy stands for itself ... and he never had to play the pretentious rich little man to show off his ability to play keyboards ... and always did some very nice things.

Rick Wakeman, by comparison, is still playing the same keys and chords he learned in school!

Nothing personal, but the amount of work that Manfred has done, and his tremendous effort in making sure that people get heard ... is second to none ... just think of how many people have had hits of their music done by Manfred and then we can talk about Rick ...
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2011 at 01:46
Originally posted by moshkito

Hi,

Manfred Mann!

He was there before, and in the end, his histroy stands for itself ... and he never had to play the pretentious rich little man to show off his ability to play keyboards ... and always did some very nice things.

Rick Wakeman, by comparison, is still playing the same keys and chords he learned in school!

Nothing personal, but the amount of work that Manfred has done, and his tremendous effort in making sure that people get heard ... is second to none ... just think of how many people have had hits of their music done by Manfred and then we can talk about Rick ...
Paul Weller ,Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen are not exactly 'unheard' artists. What interesting about Mann though is that he interprets other peoples songs very differently to the orginal versions. His version of Paul Weller's 'Start' is one I particularly love. Originall a punk anthem for The Jam with a load of attitude it becomes this incredibly atmospheric and emotional song in the hands of Mann.(sadly I couldn't find a link for it)

Post Reply Post Reply