Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive country?
    Posted: April 13 2011 at 13:23
Is there even such a thing? Like, progressive modern-hick-pop country? 

I saw an add for CMT where they played clips from popular country artists and I was thinking "My god, this is awful. I wonder if there is anything good and musical in country."

Anything? I'm super curious.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 13:26
Hi,

I'm not a good listener of "country music", but there are some folks in there that are very good and do some very nice things ... Garth Brooks comes to mind right away ...
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 14:14
What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 16:46
Yeah, typically when I read about 'progressive' country bluegrass is most often mentioned.

That said, true 'American' country music was an outgrowth of folk music dating back to the early/mid 20th century.  IMHO U.S. country got progressive when rock and pop music structures were introduced, which most notably happened in the mid/late sixties with acts like Gram Parsons, CSNY, Stone Ponies, Flying Burrito Brothers, the Byrds, the International Submarine Band, Lamb, the Eagles, even the Rolling Stones, etc., and later 2nd generation bands like Jason & the Scorchers, Cowboy Mouth, Cowboy Junkies, Christmas, Lone Justice, the Bodeans, etc.

We do have several bands on Progarchives that (IMHO) fit the definition of progressive country.  Several are even non-U.S. bands (especially British acts).  Most of these are listed either under Prog Folk or Prog-related.

Here's are few to check out:

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 17:09
I disagree that bluegrass is "progressive country."  They are two separate styles (though there is plenty of crossover).

Progressive country...it's rare, but exists.  The Marshall Tucker Band has an instrumental called "Long Hard Ride."  Don't look it up on Youtube- it's an edited version for a music video (both of which suck).

"In America" by the Charlie Daniels Band is quite close to progressive country:

http://video.tvguide.com/Charlie+Daniels/IN+America/1090475

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band also did a few "progressive country" songs (as well as bluegrass).  Alabama as well.

A lot of what could be "progressive country" would be found in live recordings more so than studio albums, since in a live setting, bands would adjust the arrangements of their songs, jam more, and add new parts. 
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 17:38
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 17:40
A friend once showed me a band called Munley which i think fits the bill pretty nicely. 

Same friend also showed me a band called 16 Horsepower, not as proggy but still something I'd actually like to listen to in country. A lot darker.

Edited by TheGazzardian - April 13 2011 at 18:01
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 17:49
Gazzardian, those are some of the coolest band recommendations I've had in a long time. Thanxkx.

Buying the Munly album from Amazon mp3 as we speak. Freakin awesome!!!

Edited by Negoba - April 13 2011 at 17:51
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 18:03
Munley is pretty cool, I listened to my friends albums but still need to get my own copies. It's interesting because he apparently just changes his bands name all the time. His latest was "Munley and the Lupercarians" or something like that. XD

Edited by TheGazzardian - April 13 2011 at 18:06
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 19:28
Wow, thanks for all the super recommendations! 

You guys are so awesome. Smile
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 20:14
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

A friend once showed me a band called Munley which i think fits the bill pretty nicely. 

Same friend also showed me a band called 16 Horsepower, not as proggy but still something I'd actually like to listen to in country. A lot darker.

Munly & the Lupercalians put out an album called 'Petr & the Wulf' last year that is excellent, and clearly progressive folk IMHO.  Was one of my favorite purchases of the year.

16 Horsepower were David Eugene Edwards' earlier band.  He has since formed Wovenhand who are here on the Archives and have a similar but darker sound.  Very highly recommended, especially 'Consider the Birds', 'Mosaic' and 'Ten Stones'.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 23:07
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Munly & the Lupercalians put out an album called 'Petr & the Wulf' last year that is excellent, and clearly progressive folk IMHO.  Was one of my favorite purchases of the year.

16 Horsepower were David Eugene Edwards' earlier band.  He has since formed Wovenhand who are here on the Archives and have a similar but darker sound.  Very highly recommended, especially 'Consider the Birds', 'Mosaic' and 'Ten Stones'.

I listened to the album on youtube after the initial recommendation and was blown away, so I immediately ordered it. I'm so excited. 

And I also consider this to be prog folk, but I don't know what usually goes for prog folk around here so I'm not going to bother suggesting it to "The Man".
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 23:10
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Petr and the Wulf I had the pleasure of listening to on vinyl ... I'll definitely have to check out Wovenhand, thanks for the info!
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2011 at 23:39

Whatinthenameoftheholysquirrell ???????

10 or so posts in and nobody has mentioned Wally

I demand a public enquiry into this matter ! Well, some of you should stand in the naughty corner for a while......

Wally.

Their two first albums is progressive country. No doubts.

See www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3536 

Wally has reformed as a hobby project and is both rehearsing and playing gigs on a regular basis. They are also on TV whenever they have something new to report and is local celebrities. Well deserved in my view.

Their music is country'n'western with long elaborate Genesis like song structures. I have never heard anything like the music Wally did on their two first albums. Wally are truly one of a kind.   

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 00:27
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

Whatinthenameoftheholysquirrell ???????

10 or so posts in and nobody has mentioned Wally

I demand a public enquiry into this matter ! Well, some of you should stand in the naughty corner for a while......

Wally.

Their two first albums is progressive country. No doubts.

See www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3536 

Wally has reformed as a hobby project and is both rehearsing and playing gigs on a regular basis. They are also on TV whenever they have something new to report and is local celebrities. Well deserved in my view.

Their music is country'n'western with long elaborate Genesis like song structures. I have never heard anything like the music Wally did on their two first albums. Wally are truly one of a kind.   

Whoa.

This is so beautiful and awesome. Thanks for mentioning this.
Pastor Rex Cat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 00:55
Question: Would Goose Creek Symphony count?
In this particular video, the song morphs from country/blue grass to a stomping rocker.
Charlie's Tune sound's like The Grateful Dead mid way through it.

Edited by Pastor Rex Cat - April 14 2011 at 01:14
http://revbookburn.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rexcat
http://www.myspace.com/prxcat

Greetings! And Welcome to The Global Internet Church of Prog!
Hail the Prog and Praise "Bob"!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 02:41
Woven Hand can't be mentioned often enough. Their debut, Consider the Birds and Mosaic are my favorites (+ the fantastic Blush Music, which is an album of instrumentals, soundscapes and radical reworkings of songs from the debut, Made for a theater play. Musically the most progressive but not the one to start with, I guess).

Some (more) songs from his excellent previous band Sixteen Horsepower.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 04:35
I personally don't think Progressive word and country music should be in the same sentence, unless there is an "anti-" just in front of the former

Indeed, some of these Bluegrass players are rather pushing the genre'sboundaries daringly.... but as far as I know, Bluegrass is a form of Appalachian folk music and is not really in the "country music" realm... albeit the boudndaries can ideed be difficult to discern...

BTW, I like Woven Hand (and 16HP before), but I don't here much country influence...  mostly folk

To me country music include that typical "twang" sound, that I dislike so much >> Hawaian music is really getting on my nerves 

(and hate Steve Howe for using it when playing those lapsteel things in Yes)
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 05:43
^I partly agree, but there was country/folk music in the 1920's and 30's too. I hasn't got that modern country twang, but plenty of banjo, yodeling, And a lot of David Euguene Edwards music sounds like its inspired by the really old stuff.

Listen to B.f Shelton Oh Molly Dear from 1927. I imagine you'd have less problems listening to that than modern "quality" country rock.

Its got a lot incommon with the acustic 16 Horsepower songs (like Straw Foot).
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 06:05
Hank III, the grandson of Hank Williams, who is involved in a punk-hardcore project with Assjack

All the southern rock acts like Pure Prairie League, New Riders of The Purple Sage, The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker Band, The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band, Blackfoot, Molly Hatchett...

Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen's 'lost in the ozone'

The country-pop craze of the late sixties : Gram Parson's International Submarine Band, The Flying Burrito Brothers (I strongly recommend the live record that was re-issued this year), The Byrds' 'sweetheart of the rodeo', the fantastic expedition of Dillard and Clark...

Rockabilly/country-rock icon Albert Lee, who, besides his excellent regular country/rockabilly albums, released a jazz-fusion (jazz-rock + country) album called 'speechless' with Chad Wackerman on drums

In bluegrass/instrumental country, David Grisham, Mark O'Connor, Béla Fleck, Marcel Dadi, Chet Atkins.

If you are into alternative country rock, the obvious pick is 16 horsepower, but you might  also be interested by the swedish band Hyacinth House.

In dark country, the obvious choice is Jay Munly's 'jimmy carter syndrome', or Telegram Frank. 

In more traditional country (folk or country), don't forget the essential picks like Townes van Zandt, Willis Allan Ramsey, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson's 'red headed stranger' (which is a concept-album), Waylon Jennings, Guy Clark's 'Old n°1', Woody Guthrie, Carter Family, George Jones
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>