31 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote markosherrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangerine Dream vs Mike Oldfield
    Posted: June 22 2011 at 10:09
Mike Oldfield
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 08:36
Agree about Athem, the very best from the first era Thumbs Up
Roj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2011 at 03:11
I'm surprised this is so close to be honest.  TD easily for me.  I've been a fan for a long time and after an extended period when I hardly listened to them for years I've been playing their stuff a great deal.

Logan is absolutely spot on about those early TD albums by the way, they're essential.  Zeit is great but the best of that era for me is Atem, a fantastic album just before they changed musical direction.  The title track is simply out of this world, the second half of that piece is a truly amazing ambient sequence.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Post/Math Rock Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 21:01
Originally posted by Navegador

I dislike both of them, so I won't vote. But I admit I haven't heard much of DT.  

wut
Navegador View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Navegador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2011 at 20:17
  I dislike both of them, so I won't vote. But I admit I haven't heard much of DT.  

Edited by Navegador - June 21 2011 at 20:18
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote crimhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 12:40
I'm surprised that it is this close. 
leadsynt View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote leadsynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 11:06
too much different to be compared ...  I repect TD but I prefer MO. I would compare TD to Kraftwerk for example (I would vote for the Kraftwerk in that case .... Wink)

bye
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 07:42
Originally posted by richardh

Interestingly Mike Oldfield owes something to TD for even having a career. Richard Branson formed Virgin records on the back of importing and selling TD albums. Oldfield offered Tubular Bells to just about every major record label but in the end it was only Branson who was prepared to give it a chance.
Thanks for the update on my family history. Wink My wife is related to Richard Branson (although only very very very far related).
I'm not one to believe in magic
But I sometimes have a second sight
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 07:25
can(t vote ,love both equaly,but saw the dream so many times on stage
Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harold-The-Barrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 07:03
Tangerine Dream
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 01:56
Interestingly Mike Oldfield owes something to TD for even having a career. Richard Branson formed Virgin records on the back of importing and selling TD albums. Oldfield offered Tubular Bells to just about every major record label but in the end it was only Branson who was prepared to give it a chance.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:29
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil

TD is better in just about every way imaginable

I think that if Mike would stop doing refab versions of Tubular Bells, I might like him even more ... but please ... don't ever ask me if I like Amorok better than Stratosfear or anything else ... I might break something over your left toe!

But in terms of creativity, output and fearlessness, I would say that TD is much more important and what they did in music and their eventual history will probably last a lot longer than Mike will.

Edited by moshkito - April 14 2011 at 18:33
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Proletariat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:29
TD by a ton! Oldfield is great but TD does things to my mind that little music can! TD takes me places!
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:29
...what?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:28
Hi,

You total ______________________________________ !!!!!

Unfair!

I'm reporting this thread!

Angry

Cry

Unhappy

Wacko
... none of the hits, none of the time ... you might actually find your own art, or self, and forego lousy heroes or Guru's!

www.pedrosena.com
Mista-Gordie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mista-Gordie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 18:20
tangerine dream is very good but Mike Oldfield. by a hundred miles
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:48
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil

Originally posted by harmonium.ro

Everybody I know has heard at least one TD album in their life because they're simply too major a band not to stumble upon them one way or another. The ratings reflect this IMO. However, I've never heard of this happening to Magma and UZ; their audience is much more limited, the typical niche audience. Hence the higher ratings. 

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon Magma long before TD.

You are special Wink
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:47
Tangerine Dream by a mile.

I can take or leave Oldfield.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:43
Originally posted by harmonium.ro

Everybody I know has heard at least one TD album in their life because they're simply too major a band not to stumble upon them one way or another. The ratings reflect this IMO. However, I've never heard of this happening to Magma and UZ; their audience is much more limited, the typical niche audience. Hence the higher ratings. 

Oddly enough, I stumbled upon Magma long before TD.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>