Poll Question: Which do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
89 [58.94%]
62 [41.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 01:12
The Magnificent Moodies....
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 08:13
Emerson Lake & Palmer have a lunacy I found Moody Blues too restrained but pleasant enough for.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:09
The Moody Blues by a very thin margin. Their music just resonates with me more and they had more really good albums. ELP were great but apart from their first four studio albums they didn't put out a whole lot of really good material(imo).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 11:32
^Yes..it always pissed me off that ELP only did 4 solid albums....5 if you count Pictures....they were obviously capable of much more than they offered up.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:53
ELP! I do have respect for those who have followed the Moodies and they were real prog pioneers, but I've generally found them a touch mellow
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 11:23
That was an easy choice, as I can't stand ELP !
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 13:47
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Moody Blues by a very thin margin. Their music just resonates with me more and they had more really good albums. ELP were great but apart from their first four studio albums they didn't put out a whole lot of really good material(imo).

They accomplished a lot in a short window of time. We also got some terrific live albums and the two Works volumes (new and previously recorded material) before they called it a day for a few years.

Count me as a fan of Emerson, Lake & Powell, though!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 14:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Yes..it always pissed me off that ELP only did 4 solid albums....5 if you count Pictures....they were obviously capable of much more than they offered up.

I totally agree. I think ELPowell was quite good though and even Black Moon is at least halfway decent. WOrks volume 2 has some good stuff on it as well. Volume one I've never heard but apparently it's really bloated and makes tales from topographic oceans sound coherent and concise. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 26 2018 at 14:51
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 15:05
I like Works Volume 1 - but you've got to treat it as 3 solo sides and a group side. Really like Keith's Concerto and Greg's side has some good stuff (although some dodgy stuff too). Carl's side is a bit all over the place, but quite enjoyable overall. The album stands or falls on the last side and whether you like the melodrama of Pirates or not, following Fanfare.

However, even as a fan, they really needed to follow up Brain Salad Surgery after their hiatus with a solid Trilogy/Tarkus-style album, and they didn't. I do think it affected their legacy (along with the patchy nature of what followed) and I understand why those who didn't live through their tenure find them less compelling and don't rate them as highly amongst the Big Six. C'est La Vie!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 23:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP are my favourite band.

The only Moody Blues album I own is Question and I never manage to get very far past the opening track. I used to have Days Of Future Passed which is a very important seminal work but not nowadays a favourite of mine.
btw Justin Hayward is from my home town of Swindon along with Rick Davies of Supertramp and the new wave band XTC. Just thought I would throw that in!

Well said!  This Yank used to live and work in Devon UK, and I've been through Swindon.  I miss your land! 

I also said ELP on the strength of the talent of the individual band members, but the Moodies made huge contributions to prog.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 03:14
I suppose it's just amazing coincidence that I recently picked up both of their Isle Of Wight DVD sets. It's quite fun seeing the footage they share.

Like the Moodies; when great they are magnificent and may even be better song writers. ELP hardly did songs as such - they made epic classical rock even more epic. From The Beginning is a magnificent song and Lake would have done well had he been in the Moodies.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 03:57
My persepctive has changed over time and since I cast my original vote in this poll, years ago. I'd vote for the Moody Blues these days, but still like ELP.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ian Stuart View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Stuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 23:10
I can't imagine life without either of these Incomparable bands ... but by a tiny margin, the Moody Blues.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 01:19
The Moodies, no doubt. I can't remember the last time I listened to ELP.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 02:22
I enjoy both, but ELP does it a bit more for me these days.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2020 at 12:12
ELP
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 04:51
bump! 
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 05:26
ELP were the most exciting and talented of all the prog bands and often produced 'difficult' and challenging music.
The Moody Blues - also pioneering and creative but had that tendency to sound like a pop group at times (that's just me)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2021 at 06:45
How did I miss this poll over the last 10 years. LOL
A resounding...
ELP
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2021 at 04:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I struggle to find one decent Moody Blues album. ELP on the other hand have their first four albums which are masterpieces of the genre. They lost it with Works and never really got it back but that doesn't diminish what they achieved with those first four albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>