Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edgar Froese solo
    Posted: May 06 2011 at 09:02
Stuntman is nice to listen to , i tend to often playing it
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 14:25
Aqua and Epsilon have a sound I'd normally go for, but I tend to play Stuntman more often.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 09:16
Still haven't got the ambient vol,i'd like to listen to them and i'm curious about Tangerine Dream plays Edgard Froeze
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 13:48
Epsilon gets my vote, although it's only just ahead of Aqua and Ages.

I've also acquired After the Storm and some of the Ambient Highway series. If you ignore some of the tinkering with material from the first 3 albums, there's some pretty good stuff to be found - although I agree that TD has become increasingly irellevant since the late 80s, with only the occasional flash of inspiration like 7 Letters from Tibet.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

TD have made a ton of great albums in the 2000s and the 2010s are looking nice. Expecting a band to stay within a very narrow compositional style that was practically defined by analog modular technology in a time when synthesis has been changing dramatically is foolish. That kind of thinking makes analog purists wearisome to me.

Yes, I was obviously whining that they don't make it like Zeit no more, not that Froese is dragging along a lifeless, half talentless band, pooping 20 albums per year, based on whatever different concept he's thinking over at breakfast and yet all of them sounding the same. They are currently staying within a very narrow compositional style. It's their narrowest yet and it has no personality.

[ Woo, yeah, I totally said back a couple of posts I wasn't really approaching this subject. ]

Purgatorio was recorded with several opera singers singing in different languages and is in no way 'narrow'.
Most of the remixes are of the eighties stuff which was never that popular anyway. The Booster series has been very well received and has helped shine a new light on an era of TD that is wrongly neglected imo.
The 90's was the worse time for TD imo. Part of that I suspect was that Jerome was not capable of contributing very much on a creative level but that has changed over the last 10 years. I need to check out the 5 Atomic Seasons albums judging by the positive comments on this thread.

I personally like The 5 Atomic Seasons, though to me I suppose there's nothing in there except "Trauma" which screams "Incredibly brilliant!" to me. It's a good, enjoyable series. I think they actually started off the 2000s brilliantly, with The Seven Letters of Tibet. Everything else was enjoyable, if nothing really to write home about.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 04:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

TD have made a ton of great albums in the 2000s and the 2010s are looking nice. Expecting a band to stay within a very narrow compositional style that was practically defined by analog modular technology in a time when synthesis has been changing dramatically is foolish. That kind of thinking makes analog purists wearisome to me.

Yes, I was obviously whining that they don't make it like Zeit no more, not that Froese is dragging along a lifeless, half talentless band, pooping 20 albums per year, based on whatever different concept he's thinking over at breakfast and yet all of them sounding the same. They are currently staying within a very narrow compositional style. It's their narrowest yet and it has no personality.

[ Woo, yeah, I totally said back a couple of posts I wasn't really approaching this subject. ]

Purgatorio was recorded with several opera singers singing in different languages and is in no way 'narrow'.
Most of the remixes are of the eighties stuff which was never that popular anyway. The Booster series has been very well received and has helped shine a new light on an era of TD that is wrongly neglected imo.
The 90's was the worse time for TD imo. Part of that I suspect was that Jerome was not capable of contributing very much on a creative level but that has changed over the last 10 years. I need to check out the 5 Atomic Seasons albums judging by the positive comments on this thread.

Purgatorio isn't Eastgate, so I wasn't complaining about that. They did concluded pretty badly with Paradisio, though.

And I don't put too much into the "well received" thing. Yes, Tangerine Dream are still ahead of the generation of lousy, aphonous epigones they now inspire. I've been three years on the TD official forum, where every new release was being worshiped as TD's best yet, so I've had enough of that. I'm not sure what Booster (volume 25 is coming out this year, right?) would be so great about, it's like the Hollywood Years of the 90s. Concerts such as Izu were enjoyable.

Edited by Ricochet - April 23 2011 at 04:35
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 02:58

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 17:00
yes ! i think it could be a good idea
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 16:36
My only complaint with current TD is that Froese probably allows for very little outside influence. In that sense, it basically is a solo band, compositionally. Even if he credits himself with most all of TD's composition for all years (I do think he will whenever he releases the book he's apparently working on), then I think it's amazing he hasn't dried out yet, IMO. You probably think he has. Whatever. I do think it would be better if he knocked back the releases to maybe 2 per year, tops, and actually collaborated with people.

Edited by stonebeard - April 22 2011 at 16:36
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 16:26

Edited by Ricochet - April 22 2011 at 16:27
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 16:00
Well! Two Berlin Schools are fighting here LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 15:54
I don't particularly care if it's not a vintage sound anymore. Not only do all the old TD albums still exist (and can be listened to any time), but you also have the likes of Redshift that basically made 9 classic albums that sound as good as the old TD ones.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Aqua and Epsilon are brilliant. I also regarded (not listening in a long time+ hating Edgar's guts for how he changed TD in the last years = meh) Ages very highly. 
yes i see what you mean ,i've been thinking a while the same as you, but listening back to many further releases, i changed my mind, for sure they scored too many movies, but Edgard did many strong albums, it just need a few loud listenings ,the boosters volumes, the five atomic seasons, Hyperborea, Underwater sunlight, Lily on the beach , Turn of the tide , Le parc , Optical race , ther's good stuff to dig in it but i agree with you, it's not the vintage sound anymore

It was but a mild taunt, no real desire to discuss recent TD affairs. But even strictly solo, all the modern remixes are irritating.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 15:43

Aqua and Epsilon are brilliant. I also regarded (not listening in a long time+ hating Edgar's guts for how he changed TD in the last years = meh) Ages very highly. 
yes i see what you mean ,i've been thinking a while the same as you, but listening back to many further releases, i changed my mind, for sure they scored too many movies, but Edgard did many strong albums, it just need a few loud listenings ,the boosters volumes, the five atomic seasons, Hyperborea, Underwater sunlight, Lily on the beach , Turn of the tide , Le parc , Optical race , ther's good stuff to dig in it but i agree with you, it's not the vintage sound anymore
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 14:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 14:42
Still haven't got Goblins, probably it's gonna happen
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 11:13
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

some further Tangerine Dream releases could be seen as Edgard releases like View from a red train for instance

After Paul Haslinger left (early 90's I guess) it did pretty much became his band along with his son Jerome. Linda Spa was also listed as fulltime member for a time. Goblins Club is the only thing I've heard from this trio that I like.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:27
Epsilon in Malaysian Pale (I have the LP version) ranks amongst my favourite albums listed at PA.  I won't vote, however, because the only albums I have of these are Aqua and Epsilon....

Edited by Logan - April 22 2011 at 10:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:25
My vinyl copy has "Epsylon in Malasian Pale" as the title. $5 in a used bin. Hipster victory.

Also, Tangerine Dream since the Seattle Years at least (if not more) has been Edgar Froese solo, more or less.
Jazzywoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2011 at 10:21
Epsilon in Malaysian pale definatly.  Most of his solo output is pretty great though, admittedly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>