Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrolling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Choose what you agree with the most.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [17.95%]
6 [15.38%]
5 [12.82%]
4 [10.26%]
15 [38.46%]
2 [5.13%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trolling
    Posted: April 17 2011 at 08:50
Im a little curious about this subject - I was introduced to the phenomenon here, and I ocasionally find that discussions digress into whether or not some poster is trolling, so my guess is that this subject has general interest. 

I'm always sceptical towards definitions, but to begin with I quote what wikipedia has to say:
Quote In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
Is this a sufficient definition? 

In cases corresponding to the above definition, I can see why trolling is unacceptable. But there seems to be a lot of harmless not-so-severe cases of trolling which sometimes can be quite entertaining.  
My general thought on this matter is that it sometimes can be difficult to distinguish trolling behaviour from non-trolling behaviour and that it's fairly normal to post (say or do) things in order to provoke a reaction - I see nothing wrong with that. We all troll sometimes.

Edited by Paravion - April 17 2011 at 08:52
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:01
We all troll sometimes. It's just a fact.
And that definition is quite accurate.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by Andyman Andyman wrote:

It's just a fact.

Nothing is just a fact, that's a fact Tongue

Facts are simple and facts are straight
Facts are lazy and facts are late
Facts all come with points of view
Facts don't do what I want them to
Facts just twist the truth around
Facts are living turned inside out
Facts are getting the best of them
Facts are nothing on the face of things
Facts don't stain the furniture
Facts go out and slam the door
Facts are written all over your face
Facts continue to change their shape

I'm still waiting... 
(Byrne, 1980)

Edited by Paravion - April 17 2011 at 09:10
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:12
Personally, I think a little trolling is tolerated and can even be entertaining. I don't think PA needs more trolling... there seems to me that there have been an unusually high number of ''misunderstandings'' lately, but that's probably just my paranoia. I don't agree that we all troll sometimes, not by that definition at any rate.
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:23
I get into a lot of pointless arguments,  but I'm never intentionally provoking just to provoke. Sometimes I get sarcastic when I'm a little frustrated during a "discussion" but I think that's different. I actually don't see much trolling from our regulars. There are a few people that pop up from time to time that I think really are just trying to see what kind of response they'll get.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 09:26
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Personally, I think a little trolling is tolerated and can even be entertaining. I don't think PA needs more trolling... there seems to me that there have been an unusually high number of ''misunderstandings'' lately, but that's probably just my paranoia. I don't agree that we all troll sometimes, not by that definition at any rate.
You're right, not by that definition. 
While I think the definition might be accurate enough, I suspect that it only describes clear cases of trolling and hence it's not sufficient simply because it doesn't encompass all cases that might be considered trolling.

In the poll options, 'trolling' is not to be equated 'blindly' with what the definition says it is, it's what the voters associate with the phenomenon and their attitude towards it I'm interested in.

Edited by Paravion - April 17 2011 at 09:27
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:13
Just like smoking, fur farming and gay sex it's a morally offensive practice and as such should NOT be tolerated UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Personally I never do it myself. Voted for (3).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:20
I am not a fan of trolling, but some people (including myself?) troll now and then, intentionally or not. So I voted for option #5.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:25
Playful trolling is kind of okay. Like Walter - even though he can be annoying we all know he's trolling so it's kind of like a running joke. But malicious trolling is just annoying.

Speaking of Walter, I haven't seen him around here in some time. Shocked
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:25
Trolling is entertaining.
Wether it is intentional or not, trolling gives online communities "flavor".
Does it sometimes get out of hand? Yes, but i highly doubt that PA will be infested with hardcore trolls.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:34
I troll sometimes. Not here though. You guys don't deserve it. You're all too nice. Even the Dream Theater fans..

If I do, it's not intentional..

I sometimes troll on a current affairs forum I go on. But, those guys are brutal. Sometimes you have to troll or you get eaten alive. People tend to get more 'sweary' about politics, than they do over music.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 10:52
^
You're right - PA is very, very civilized. It took some time getting used to, but it's actually quite nice, even though I often feel that it sometimes gets a bit too much with all the politeness and that it isn't always sincere. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:03
These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Trolling is entertaining, from the truly inept to the down right nasty, as long as you are a spectator its entertainment value is without question, yet I can still hold the view of no trolling whatsoever; while recognising that a little trolling is okay and we all troll sometimes (can't say I'd ever admit to the idea that the PA needs more trolling, but that's by the by).

I can do this because I think there is a difference between honest debate-stimulation (the old Socratic irony effectively employed) and deliberate provocation for personal amusement (Internet Trolling) so for that the Wikipedia definition of Internet Trolling is accurate and any other definition of trolling, however colloquial that definition may be, is simply misusing of the word. This in itself is enough for the term to be wrongly applied and that's where misunderstanding and flame wars begin.

True Internet Trolls are nasty pieces of work whose only interest and pleasure is in spoiling the enjoyment of others, there is no room here for those kinds of people. Fortunately we don't get many of them. I would go as far as to say we don't get any of them. Though I suspect that some people have been pushed into trollish behaviour while attempting to partake of this forum (I can think of a few), who for some reason have felt themselves to have been snubbed and/or insulted and thus decided to reek their revenge on an seemingly unsuspecting forum membership who were blissfully unaware that such a snubbing occured. I recall one instance where someone joined the forum apparently just to attack me, eventhough our paths had never crossed before and I didn't know him from Adam. The Internet and especially BBS forums are artificial environments - online group dynamics and interpersonal relationships aren't the same as real life, yet we attempt to deal with them as if they were.

I get involved in a lot of pointless arguments here that tend to get a little heated (albeit on one side only), and I know that in many cases people have deliberately said things to get a reaction out of me, baiting the trap expecting me to bite. Of course knowing that, I generally avoid such traps, however, what they then have to appreciate that any bite I take could be a deliberate counter-move on my own part. Sneaky things traps, though I would not necessarying accuse them of trolling as a result, often baiting is a means to draw the person into revealing what they really mean, rather thany trying to trap them into saying something they don't actually mean.

What?
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:10
lol, Dean's trolling in the trolling pool.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:17
This is the stupidest poll I've ever seen. But I suppose it's par for the course from you banal prog-snobs.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:22
How meta.
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:23
I don't think I've ever trolled on purpose, but I won't say that I can predict that I won't troll in the future. We all troll sometimes.
Paravion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

This is the stupidest poll I've ever seen. But I suppose it's par for the course from you banal prog-snobs.
Why?.. and What?
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
I know - they weren't intended to be. Thank you for thoughts on this matter..

Edited by Paravion - April 17 2011 at 11:25
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:26
Originally posted by Paravion Paravion wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Why?.. and What?
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

These options aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
I know - they weren't intended to be. Thank you for thoughts on this matter..
Sorry. I couldn't controll myself. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2011 at 11:30
A little subtle trolling ŕ la Shred, the kind that you don't even notice if you don't have a long time on PA and an acute sense of sarcasm, will never hurt. But I'm opposed to more.

Walter was nominated for in-house troll, but what about the Ians? That refers to Vibey in the first place (read his recent DT review? It's full of win. LOL), but Snowie and Mr. Lemming also qualify sometimes Tongue

My all-time trolling moment on PA will remain "in the jungle, the lion sleeps tonight...", remember? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>