FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPekka Pohjola

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pekka Pohjola
    Posted: June 20 2005 at 01:43
This guy is pretty fantastic, can anyone recommend stuff from him?  I've come to find he was a part of a 70's group named Wigwam and would like to know which albums are "best". And since Finnish is such a different language and I cannot pronounce most of his work, i'll save myself and others some valueable time by getting these cd's online.
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket
hugo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 01:49
I have Harakka Bialoipokku (aka B The Magpie) and Kätkävaaran Lohikäärme . both are very good especially the former. Great zappaesque horn arrangments over fusiony grooves. Gotta get more into his music myself but the albums are so hard to find here! Anyways, B The Magpie would make a great start.

Album of the week:
Being
7/30/05 Remedy Lane
7/24/05 Pawn Hearts
Paco Fox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 03:36

I, like many other people, have only the album he made with Mike & Sally Oldfield as guests, which have a lot of international titles... The original finnish was something like (sorry for the mistakes) 'Keesojen Letho'.

Although I don't usually like too much jazz in my prog, this one is very good. I've always wanted to listen to the album I've read he made with an orchestra, but, alas, these are not the easiest records to find.

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 03:44
Agree with Hugo, get the two he mentioned they are both awesome fusion albums with a definite Zappa feel. Also recommend Keesojen Lehto, Visitation, and Pihkasilmä Kaarnakorva as well. If you like those, look into his more recent stuff, its good too, although a bit slick sounding at times. Dunno if you've heard his Wigwam stuff, but all the albums he's on are good, with Fairyport being my favorite. Also, kind of obscure, but he also recorded an album in 1978 I think, under the moniker The Group. If you can find it, it is also a great fusion album.

Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 11:18
He's done some amazing stuff, kind of a Finnish Frank Zappa. The Mathematician's Air Display was released on Virgin in the late 70s and featured contributions from Mike Oldfield and Pierre Moerlen - I think it was also released with a Finnish title and may have been mentioned already. He's released an album every 3 years or so since, and everything I've heard has been excellent, although as some others have mentioned some of the later stuff is a bit slick at times.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 13:19
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

He's done some amazing stuff, kind of a Finnish Frank Zappa. The Mathematician's Air Display was released on Virgin in the late 70s and featured contributions from Mike Oldfield and Pierre Moerlen - I think it was also released with a Finnish title and may have been mentioned already. He's released an album every 3 years or so since, and everything I've heard has been excellent, although as some others have mentioned some of the later stuff is a bit slick at times.

Yup the album you are refering to was released in Finland as Keesojen Lehto, which I mentioned above, and is a great  recommendation there Syzygy.Clap

DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 13:59
Harakka Bialoipokku is great and there is a
compilation (Inviation? that covers his mid to late
70's period that is well worth searching for. Visitation
is also very good!
 Post Reply Post Reply