Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmulating Classic Prog Is Not Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 12:22
Regarding autotune...... I don't really see how it can be used in a prog, or even progressive, setting.

All the software does is change the pitch of something at your desire, without changing the speed. It has been used to purify and correct bad singers, and also to make normal speech sound like singing (youtube "autotune the news"..... more comedy than music). My point being, that these two things are all the software has to offer really...... it doesn't open any new musical paths.

Perhaps it could be used to bend the pitch of instruments that don't bend (piano, percussion, etc...) but this has been doable for ages by other means..........

infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 10:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Sure, Paradox Hotel doesn't sound completely like Back in the World of Adventures but it's also not a huge step away within an essentially derivative style. This is the line of argument being repeated again and again that I don't understand.  The extent of originality and extent of change in the sound of a band like Flower Kings simply isn't at a comparable level to say King Crimson.  Whether it needs to be so for a listener to enjoy it is an entirely different matter but there are obviously some bands that don't change so much through their career and some who do and some, in fact a lot of people, find the latter more exciting and more evocative of the spirit of prog, because that's how it started. It is a very valid stance as far as I am concerned. 

Yes, I don't mind some blues once in a while but I don't expect something that derivative of prog. Why? Because it's not a genre, it's an approach to songwriting.  The boundaries of music like blues are far more tightly defined than prog, which is why not just you but most listeners wouldn't expect to be surprised greatly by a blues artist.  All that has been done here on this website or any other prog rock resource is to identify some loose characteristics with which to bunch together bands into genres but it's simply not a genre in the same sense as say a metal genre would be; it's far more loose and subjective.  It has to be because the boundaries of what is prog keep getting pushed in new directions and those that do so should be respected.   

Sorry, but it IS a genre now.  This site is proof of that, though there is no doubt that it existed as a genre long before this sites creation.  I have no argument with how you see prog (aside from you not thinking it's a genre).  This is not the "Ultimate Progressive music" web site.  It is the "Ultimate Prog Rock" web site.  So you can't simply say that the boundaries keep getting pushed in new directions.  Jazz keeps getting pushed in new directions, but it is still a defined genre, and there are plenty of well respected groups and musicians who create "traditional jazz" and are not called imitators for doing so.  Well, perhaps they are, I don't know, but they are STILL creating jazz music.  If you only want to consider certain types of music "prog", then don't criticize others for doing the exact same thing, or try to suggest that we are doing anything different than you are.  Personally, I think both my definition of prog and yours can co-exist quite easily together.  If "prog" is simply an approach to music, then this web site should not exist in it's current form and "prog rock" should be a contradiction since "rock" is a defined genre, though admittedly quite broad.  Of course, the big problem a lot of people in the 70's had with prog was that they didn't consider it rock music at all.

I agree about Crimson in general, though I hear very little difference between Discipline and  The Construcksion of Light (or the albums in between, for that matter), which is a time span of almost 10 years (didn't hear the last album, so I can't comment there).  Frankly, though I love the first two phases of the band, I simply can't find enjoyment in the 80's and 90's version, despite multiple attempts over the years.  I, of course, still consider them a prog band, despite my lack of interest and their lack of development (as perceived by me).

Edited by infandous - April 28 2011 at 10:35
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 11:24
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Sure, Paradox Hotel doesn't sound completely like Back in the World of Adventures but it's also not a huge step away within an essentially derivative style. This is the line of argument being repeated again and again that I don't understand.  The extent of originality and extent of change in the sound of a band like Flower Kings simply isn't at a comparable level to say King Crimson.  Whether it needs to be so for a listener to enjoy it is an entirely different matter but there are obviously some bands that don't change so much through their career and some who do and some, in fact a lot of people, find the latter more exciting and more evocative of the spirit of prog, because that's how it started. It is a very valid stance as far as I am concerned. 

Yes, I don't mind some blues once in a while but I don't expect something that derivative of prog. Why? Because it's not a genre, it's an approach to songwriting.  The boundaries of music like blues are far more tightly defined than prog, which is why not just you but most listeners wouldn't expect to be surprised greatly by a blues artist.  All that has been done here on this website or any other prog rock resource is to identify some loose characteristics with which to bunch together bands into genres but it's simply not a genre in the same sense as say a metal genre would be; it's far more loose and subjective.  It has to be because the boundaries of what is prog keep getting pushed in new directions and those that do so should be respected.   

Sorry, but it IS a genre now.  This site is proof of that, though there is no doubt that it existed as a genre long before this sites creation.  I have no argument with how you see prog (aside from you not thinking it's a genre).  This is not the "Ultimate Progressive music" web site.  It is the "Ultimate Prog Rock" web site.  So you can't simply say that the boundaries keep getting pushed in new directions.  Jazz keeps getting pushed in new directions, but it is still a defined genre, and there are plenty of well respected groups and musicians who create "traditional jazz" and are not called imitators for doing so.  Well, perhaps they are, I don't know, but they are STILL creating jazz music.  If you only want to consider certain types of music "prog", then don't criticize others for doing the exact same thing, or try to suggest that we are doing anything different than you are.  Personally, I think both my definition of prog and yours can co-exist quite easily together.  If "prog" is simply an approach to music, then this web site should not exist in it's current form and "prog rock" should be a contradiction since "rock" is a defined genre, though admittedly quite broad.  Of course, the big problem a lot of people in the 70's had with prog was that they didn't consider it rock music at all.

I agree about Crimson in general, though I hear very little difference between Discipline and  The Construcksion of Light (or the albums in between, for that matter), which is a time span of almost 10 years (didn't hear the last album, so I can't comment there).  Frankly, though I love the first two phases of the band, I simply can't find enjoyment in the 80's and 90's version, despite multiple attempts over the years.  I, of course, still consider them a prog band, despite my lack of interest and their lack of development (as perceived by me).

Ok, so let's have then the definition of prog.  It doesn't have to be absolutely precise, but I promise you it will be terribly vague to the point of conveying little valuable information to the listener. Therefore, it simply cannot be a genre in the sense a genre is understood. I repeat, all that is done on this or other websites is to group bands commonly referred to as prog (and this is further used as a reference to include new bands) but that still does not constitute a defined genre. 

You mentioned jazz. The difference is nobody is going to call Slayer jazz, the boundaries of jazz can NEVER be that unrelated to its quintessential nature.  That, of course, is simply not the case with prog. There is very little common ground between Genesis, Can and Kraftwerk and that's just from the 70s.  Throw in Art Zoyd, Mr Bungle and Opeth and you have a whole lot of unrelated music bunched together only because they represent the complex and sophisticated side of rock music as a whole.  And since you have offered the existence of this website as evidence of prog as a genre, it is therefore also not up to you to now attempt to deny that Opeth is prog. 

And you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot do because I am only expressing my stand here as you are and I am bloody well entitled to.  And please do explain for my benefit how all the music that pushes the boundaries of, well, music constitutes one type of music.  It only refers to a level of innovation and originality and it is not even one level.  Even amongst innovative bands, some are more innovative than others.

As for KC, Discipline is radically different from their previous work.  I have no compunctions in admitting that their work thereon, especially THRAK, is not so exciting to me as the Wetton-era albums, so my stand is generally consistent.    
1791 Overture View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 13:41
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

Regarding autotune...... I don't really see how it can be used in a prog, or even progressive, setting.

All the software does is change the pitch of something at your desire, without changing the speed. It has been used to purify and correct bad singers, and also to make normal speech sound like singing (youtube "autotune the news"..... more comedy than music). My point being, that these two things are all the software has to offer really...... it doesn't open any new musical paths.

Perhaps it could be used to bend the pitch of instruments that don't bend (piano, percussion, etc...) but this has been doable for ages by other means..........

You could use it for the robotic timbre or strict quantification of pitch (so that there is no transitioning or blue notes in the singing). 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 13:54
Originally posted by 1791 Overture 1791 Overture wrote:

You could use it for the robotic timbre or strict quantification of pitch (so that there is no transitioning or blue notes in the singing). 
Cynic use autotuned/vocodered robotic vocals.
What?
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 14:17
^ To devastatingly bad effect, in my opinion. In fact, I couldn't listen to 'Focus' without laughing all the way through.I kept visualising these inch-high robots with tiny guitars...
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 14:31

Sorry, but it IS a genre now.
I think you could call "symphonic prog" a "genre" or RIO etc. genres... but "prog" as this site seems to define it is far too broad to be called a single genre. Pretty much everything that is called "prog" has in common an integration of the values of art music and popular music. This can be said of anything ranging from Asia to Henry Cow and beyond.

That seems to be far too broad a concept to be called a single "genre" though. If anything, I'd call "prog" or "progressive" (yes, these are interchangeable) a "musical ideology" that permeates many genres.
1791 Overture View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 14:38
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

^ To devastatingly bad effect, in my opinion. In fact, I couldn't listen to 'Focus' without laughing all the way through.I kept visualising these inch-high robots with tiny guitars...

Agreed. Cynic uses it as a crutch for not having a good vocalist, not because they do anything interesting with it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 14:42
Originally posted by 1791 Overture 1791 Overture wrote:

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Agreed. Cynic uses it as a crutch for not having a good vocalist, not because they do anything interesting with it.
That, or lack of confidence, is often the reason for treated vocals.
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 20:52
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

I think you could call "symphonic prog" a "genre" or RIO etc. genres... but "prog" as this site seems to define it is far too broad to be called a single genre. Pretty much everything that is called "prog" has in common an integration of the values of art music and popular music. This can be said of anything ranging from Asia to Henry Cow and beyond.

That seems to be far too broad a concept to be called a single "genre" though. If anything, I'd call "prog" or "progressive" (yes, these are interchangeable) a "musical ideology" that permeates many genres.

More or less what I wanted to say, thank you.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 21:04
rogerthat

Too many try to confine it into a box where it will not fit.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 28 2011 at 21:06
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 23:31

...similar comments were made about the vibrato bar, until a few guys figured it out!  

I haven't worked with Autotune, but it seems to add some interesting effects in some instances.  Using it as a crutch for bad singing is one thing, but finding a new application within prog would be, well, progressive!

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 00:42

How progressive something is often has to do with the number of people doing it.

But then we get into  a funny situation where you can do anything large numbers of people aren't doing, like farting vocal lines into a microphone, and call this progressive. While this is certainly "different", it doesn't feel quite right to call it progressive. What's the distinction between being different and being progressive?

I'm thinking that using farting as a musical feature actually is progressive because it's different and that my hesitation to call it progressive is simply because of prejudice against farting, but I'm making the same mistake as people who say "YOU CAN'T HAVE HIP-HOP/RAP IN PROGRESSIVE MUSIC" because you clearly *can*, they're just prejudiced against it.

But a good example of progressive music is Lark's Tongue In Aspic. It is coming on 40 years old and it is still ferocious and tough as nails.

Edited by Textbook - April 29 2011 at 05:18
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 01:01
Textbook, as a fellow Kiwi, I aspire to be like you.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 01:56
the Nas/Damian Marley record Distant Relatives is to me a progressive (adv) rap album, it fuese rap with reggea in a way that have never been done before (on the size of a 16 tracks hip hop album)
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 08:37

Ok, so let's have then the definition of prog.  It doesn't have to be absolutely precise, but I promise you it will be terribly vague to the point of conveying little valuable information to the listener. Therefore, it simply cannot be a genre in the sense a genre is understood. I repeat, all that is done on this or other websites is to group bands commonly referred to as prog (and this is further used as a reference to include new bands) but that still does not constitute a defined genre.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition

You mentioned jazz. The difference is nobody is going to call Slayer jazz, the boundaries of jazz can NEVER be that unrelated to its quintessential nature.  That, of course, is simply not the case with prog. There is very little common ground between Genesis, Can and Kraftwerk and that's just from the 70s.  Throw in Art Zoyd, Mr Bungle and Opeth and you have a whole lot of unrelated music bunched together only because they represent the complex and sophisticated side of rock music as a whole.  And since you have offered the existence of this website as evidence of prog as a genre, it is therefore also not up to you to now attempt to deny that Opeth is prog.

You make good points here, which I will not try to argue with.  Certainly, I have a different definition of prog than you, but that doesn't make me anymore right than it does you.

And you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot do because I am only expressing my stand here as you are and I am bloody well entitled to.  And please do explain for my benefit how all the music that pushes the boundaries of, well, music constitutes one type of music.  It only refers to a level of innovation and originality and it is not even one level.  Even amongst innovative bands, some are more innovative than others.

You are absolutely correct in your first sentence, I apologize.  That is what these forums are for, obviously.  As to the rest, I wonder then why we don't have every possible musical innovation on this site?  There is "progression" to be found in every genre of music, yet they are not all represented here.  The thing I find odd however, is that not everything here can really be called "rock" music.  Not all of the music on this site is innovative or original because Progressive Rock is a genre with certain characteristics which are fairly well defined in the link above (though it can be argued that anything that is not outright plagerism is "orginal", since it does not copy something else).

As for KC, Discipline is radically different from their previous work.  I have no compunctions in admitting that their work thereon, especially THRAK, is not so exciting to me as the Wetton-era albums, so my stand is generally consistent.    

Fair enough.

Edited by infandous - April 29 2011 at 09:00
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 08:51
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

According to this site, what you are describing are sub genre's of Progressive Rock.  As I mention in another thread, I originally thought of "prog rock" as what this site calls Symphonic, with a bit of Heavy Prog and Eclectic thrown in.  This site has opened my ears to some other variations of Prog Rock.

I'm afraid I'm still of the opinion that "prog" and "progressive" are two different things.  One (the first) is a genre, the other is an approach to music that goes beyond genres and can and does apply to every genre.  Prog the genre, contains music that may or may not be progressive.  This view appears to be shared by the people that run this site (though probably not universally), based on their definition of Progressive Rock that I link in a previous post.

In the end, of course, we are arguing semantics and categorizations.  It's just an intellectual exercise with no real meaning (though possibly the site administrators take our views into account, I don't really know).  We will, in the end, listen to, enjoy, and appreciate whatever music it is that works for us.  That is what I do, at any rate.  Much of what I listen to emulates to some degree or other music that came before it.  Truth be told, I have yet to hear ANY music that doesn't emulate something that came before it to some degree or other (and I have listened to a great deal of music across a great many genres, styles, cultures, etc.).

rikkinadir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 11:20
I totally agree!! copying or imitating classic prog bands or playing technically is not progressive in these days. although i like bands like phideaux , the flower kings etc. i don't consider them as prog with the exact meaning of the word.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 11:27

It functions similarly to a vocoder in a musical context for me., and that work out ok on Tangerine Dream's Cyclone album, for one. I mean autotune is not going to replace something like a guitar for a full instrument membership in a band, but don't underestimate it.

It's a shame Kate Bush had to so terribly misuse it in here recent re-release of "Deeper Understanding." No, Kate. Just no.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 13:45
Autotune this... autotune that.....

I LOVE technology but really..... even if there were progressive capabilities of robotically altering the pitch of a vocal, it can be done with any software. In fact, I can do it on Audacity........ it's so easy, and readily available, that, I basically think the time has passed for anyone to come up with a way of using it that doesn't involve trying to improve poor singing. 

I haven't heard some of the uses of autotune mentioned in this thread but they sound to me like more limiting ways of treating vocals than a simple, plain old vocoder.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>