Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKlaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream in the 80s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who had better output in the 80s?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [14.81%]
10 [37.04%]
2 [7.41%]
5 [18.52%]
6 [22.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream in the 80s
    Posted: April 23 2011 at 07:47
I am a fan of both Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze  (I have over a day's worth of music from each, I believe). However, while I do enjoy a lot of what TD did in the 80s, the only post 1979 Schulze recordings I have are Crime of Suspense and Kontinuum.

Hopefully this poll will let me know if I'm missing out on some good music from one of my heroes, or if I should spend more time and money on Zuehl or something (probably a good idea).
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 07:59
First half of the '80s: it's interesting to hear how both changed the sound, but I'd say TD takes it. Even if in terms of studio I'd go for Schulze's Audentity (especially for Sebastian in Traum), TD's Logos and Poland are just too good. You also have to avoid a lot of collaborations Schulze did then, especially in the year of total grief that was 1984.

Second half of the '80s: here it depends whether or not you'll become a fan of Underwater Sunlight, soundtracks such as Near Dark or even one of three Melrose albums. Schulze release no more that three albums, of which Dreams is easily one of my favourites. Even so, Schulze's early 90s > late 80s, I would say.

Edited by Ricochet - April 23 2011 at 08:01
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 12:27
Here's How they stack up to me (excellent releases only, 4+ stars):

Klaus:

...Live...
Tancefer
Audentity
Dreams

Tangerine Dream:

Tangram
Exit
Hyperborea
Green Desert
Underwater Sunlight

Plus Tangerine Dream Has a bunch of not-quite-excellent albums with a few brilliant songs (White Eagle, Tyger).

Overall, TD.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 13:01
Schulze has always been relatively consistent though not as prolific as TD , who have had rather lame periods (90s especially)
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 13:12
I prefer Tangerine Dream's '80s period over Schulze's, though I do prefer Schulze more overall.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 13:24
Haven't heard any solo Schulze but I love TD.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 13:40
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

First half of the '80s: it's interesting to hear how both changed the sound, but I'd say TD takes it. Even if in terms of studio I'd go for Schulze's Audentity (especially for Sebastian in Traum), TD's Logos and Poland are just too good. You also have to avoid a lot of collaborations Schulze did then, especially in the year of total grief that was 1984.

Second half of the '80s: here it depends whether or not you'll become a fan of Underwater Sunlight, soundtracks such as Near Dark or even one of three Melrose albums. Schulze release no more that three albums, of which Dreams is easily one of my favourites. Even so, Schulze's early 90s > late 80s, I would say.
I'd have to agree with Rico here. Tangerine Dream enjoyed something of an Indian summer in the first half of the 80s, culminating in the excellent Poland. Schulze's Audentity is superb, and Trancefer (which was kind of a trial run for Audentity) is also a strong album, but the 80s in general wasn't a great decade for KS.

Overall I prefer Klaus Schulze, but in the 80s TD were better.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 14:28

^ Same here, I quite enjoy the TD 80-84 period. I even have a soft spot for Exit.
But after that period, post-84 Schulze is much superior (inconsistent as it may be sometimes) to anything I've heard from TD since 84.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

^ Same here, I quite enjoy the TD 80-84 period. I even have a soft spot for Exit.
But after that period, post-84 Schulze is much superior (inconsistent as it may be sometimes) to anything I've heard from TD since 84.

Well, if someone deserves to be "much superior", it's probably Schulze. Wink
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 16:17
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Tangerine Dream:

Tangram
Exit
Hyperborea
Green Desert
Underwater Sunlight

Plus Tangerine Dream Has a bunch of not-quite-excellent albums with a few brilliant songs (White Eagle, Tyger).

Green desert is a collection of songs recorded in 1973, so it doesn't count.

There are three more albums that I rate highly in their discogrpahy : Le Parc, the OST for 'Legend', the OST for 'Wavelength'. And three important live albums in their whole discography : 'Pergamon', 'Logos live ' and 'Poland - the Warsaw concert'.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 17:50
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

why even a soft spot for exit? LOL Exit is a good album to my ears , still often listen to it
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 17:52
Enjoy very little Tangerine Dream recorded after Force Majeure, but love Schulzes Dig It, Audiencity and like Trancefer + Angst isn't all bad, so first vote for Klaus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 17:53
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Tangerine Dream:

Tangram
Exit
Hyperborea
Green Desert
Underwater Sunlight

Green desert is a collection of songs recorded in 1973, so it doesn't count.

There are three more albums that I rate highly in their discogrpahy : Le Parc, the OST for 'Legend', the OST for 'Wavelength'. And three important live albums in their whole discography : 'Pergamon', 'Logos live ' and 'Poland - the Warsaw concert'.
      Le parc , Logos  Poland and Underwater are brillant, but ther're a few more
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 18:11
Continium is probably one from the best Schulze release, but i know it's not the80's, Dreams is nice but a bit average, Le Moulin de Daudet, a movie soundtrack a bit boring, Poland a double live album not quite easy listening, Dig it contains some interessesting stuff, Transfer and Audentity are worth listening, Beyond recall ,nice but not outstanding, further albums as are you sequenced and In blue are better, Farscape with Lisa Gerrard is very strong, the DVDwith her at Loreiley is the best 5+1 surround mix i have ever heard
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2011 at 18:23
Schulze by far. TD had some awful moments.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 06:22
I only own one Schulze solo album- Beyond Recall (1991) ,so I have to abstain from voting.

I've said may times how much I like Tangerine Dreams 80's output. The line up of Schmoelling,Franke and Froese is my favourite TD line up  and that exised from 1980 - 1985 ( Pergamon to Le Parc).

After that they started drifting especially when Franke left about 1987.

Good to read some positive comments about this era of TD.
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 07:11
As a general rule from my library, the 80's just sucked and virtually nobody this side of extreme metal didn't suffer from its ugliness. 

IMO Tangerine Dream was a creative force until the day C. Franke left the group. From that day the excerpts or albums I have listened goes from mediocre to just plain boring with a lot of cheesy moments. Don't like neither the remixes nor the soundtracks.

Correction: "Le Parc" still have Franke on the group so the bad days actually started with him on board. "Hyperborea" is their last good studio album and "Poland", their last great live album. 

Don't know much Schulze after the 70's (that's the reason why I choose the option "can't vote but still want to talk about"). My experience with 'The dark side of the moog" series was bad but he's not the composer there, right? Well, since this thread is dead I believe nobody will read this but I needed to express my frustration about the mid-eighties onwards decadence sans elegance of my beloved TD. 

What makes me feel so infuriated is the fact that a lot of bands that I lovestill remained good live acts even after they became irrelevant in terms of composing (new works): Yes (til 2004) was a joy to hear alive (discounting the Rabin and Union-era) and their last significant album as a whole was released in 1977! Pink Floyd (that lost its freshness after Animals) is the same case. Deep Purple with Blackmore, The Who (even without the unique Moon)... But that's not the case with TD. 

Does the technology has a share of "guilt" here? It's talked on various threads the pernicious effect of the keyboards evolution in the last 70's/80's over prog rock dinosaurs and since TD is a keyboard-based group the effect of this changes would impact not only their studio output but their live music as well. Even discounting the age effect (the mid-thirties sins to be the pinnacle of most pop musicians creativity; they can still release good music but not as remarkable as in their fresh years) it's a shame that they never get their past level of excellence at least in the concert sphere.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 14:26

I like Le Parc. Some very nice (if short) compositions but still very enyoyable and not without some inspiration (ie Yellowstone Park ft Clare Tory or the brilliant LA Streethawk). Underwater Sunlight is also a splendid album before the hit and miss effort Tyger began the decline. Extremely uninspired albums like Melrose and Optical Race followed.TD in the 90's is not good at all.

In recent (well last 10 years) TD have recovered some of their mojo a little bit with Seven Letters From Tibet, Purgatorio (close to being my favourite TD album) and Views From A Red Train which is solid effort.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 16:07
Like RichardH, I really like `Underwater Sunlight', maybe no longer cutting-edge or particularly deep, but MAN is it lovely and melodic. Some of the guitar solos have David Gilmour written all over them too! In retrospect, I could now do without the `Chik, chika-chi-KAH' vocal sample that was later used on that `Yello - Oh Yeah!' dance song, because it's IMPOSSIBLE now to not think of that when you hear the TD album! Anyway, I listen to `Underwater Sunlight' all the time, it's the perfect pleasant background album to have playing.

Other than that, the `Firestarter' soundtrack is superb, with very nice thick eerie synths. I've got a vile crusty LP of it, and I'm dying for a nice CD remaster. The last lot of CD's were years ago and command a FORTUNE on Ebay, so we need a new affordable reissue.

`Le Parc' is surprisingly nice too! Certainly the last one to bother with so far...unless someone can tell me of any particular albums from then on I should give a try?

I've just recently started getting into the `Live Poland' dble CD and live `Logos' that I just bought, so I'll have to report back on them soon!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2012 at 14:38
While I love some of the early 80s TD live albums, my vote goes to Schulze here. Audentity is one of my current faves actually. Just bought it on vinyl, and it sounds like a genuine love machine without any obscene images of dildi. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>