Posted: May 15 2013 at 00:15

Peter Hammill - Vocals and Piano/Godbluff-era clavinet

Geddy Lee - Bass and Backing Vocals

Bill Bruford - Drums and Percussion

Robert Fripp - Guitar and Soundscapes

Tony Banks - Keys

David Jackson - Saxes and Flute

David Cross - Violin

Mikael Akerfeldt - Guitar and Backing Vocals (Harsh and Clean)

RedNightmareKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 19:47
I had this lineup in mind when I sort of created a concept album.

Steven Wilson - vocals, guitar
Mikael Akerfeldt - lead guitar, clean & harsh vocals
Steven O'Malley & Greg Anderson aka Sunn O))) - drone guitar/bass, soundscapes
Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin - electronics, synths, soundscapes
Adam Holzman - keyboards
Al Cisneros (Sleep, Om) - bass
Simone Simons & Kate Bush - Female vocals
 Nick Beggs - Chapman stick, bass
Gavin Harrison - drums
Theo Travis - woodwinds

Edited by RedNightmareKing - May 13 2013 at 19:49
I consider drone metal to be progressive...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 11:40
My "2 is better than 1" all-star prog band...

Robert Fripp - guitar, John McLaughlin - guitar
Keith Emerson - Hammond organ, Hugh Banton - church organ
Christian Decamps - French vocals, Peter Hammill - English vocals
Paul McCartney - lead bass, John Wetton - fuzz bass
Tony Banks - lead synthesizer, Richard Pinhaus - sequencer synthesizer
Bill Bruford - lead drums, Ed Mann - percussion
Pete Sinfield - lead vocal lyricist, Keith Reid - backup vocal lyricist

Phil Collins - sit at the back quietly and don't sing or play a note.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - May 13 2013 at 11:41
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2013 at 10:29
How about

Brendan Perry - vocals, timpani
Thorstein Lofthus - drums
Karsten Vogel - sax, clarinet, flute
Reine Fiske - guitar
Edgar Froese - mellotron, farfisa organ
Percy Jones - bass
Franco Battiato - VCS3, vocals, piano
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 14:25
Peter Gabriel - Vocals, Bass Drum, Costumes
Steve Hackett - Guitars
Mike Rutherford - Bass, Guitars
Tony Banks - Keyboards, Mellotron
Phil Collins - Drums, Vocals
Geddy Lee - Bass, Keyboards, Vocals
Alex Lifeson - Guitars, Comedy Skits
Neil Peart - Drums, Percussion

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 09:55
Clap
For the Akerfeldt!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 09:24
John Wetton- Rhythm Bass/Vocals
Mariusz Duda- Lead Bass
Mikael Akerfeldt- Guitar/ Vocals
Robert Fripp- Guitar
Peter Bardens- Keyboards
Elton Dean- Saxophone
Christian Vander- Drums/Awesome Face Making
Dagmar Krause-Vocals

Edited by QuestionableScum - April 29 2011 at 09:26
ten years after View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 07:17
Keith Emerson - Drums
Keith Moon - Lead Guitar
Miles Davis - Recorder
Mother Teresa of Calcutta - Vocals
Yoko Ono - backing vocals
Paul McCartney - Washboard
Peter Gabriel - Trumpet
Sid Vicious - Bass
Robert Plant - Horn

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 02:19
Elton John - keybord, hammond, mellotrons & vocals
Sting - bass, up-righ bass, frettless, & vocals
Phil Collins - drums, percurssion, african congas, drum loops, & vocals ( he have just to grow a new spine)
Andrew Latimer - guitar, flute & vocals
Richard Barbieri - keybord texture
Ian McDonald - sax, flute, and keybord (if needed)
Jean-Luc Ponty - Violin, el-violin (he have worked with Elton before)

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 21:03
Originally posted by giselle giselle wrote:

All lists like this are purely subjective. Even then, it’s difficult to choose and almost discriminate against fine musicians. But I’m not just choosing the individuals, I’m trying to find a balance for the band. So some of the choices are made on that basis, not because the individual is better than the other candidates, but because I believe him to be better for this band.

The candidates are as follows:-

Vocalist

1)      Peter Gabriel (Genesis; Solo) Positives: Charismatic; Writer; Intense; good sound. Negatives: A good actor rather than singer, limited range.

2)      David Coverdale (Deep Purple; Whitesnake) Positives: Powerful; melodic; good sound. Negatives: Lacks some depth of expression; can be superficial and unaware of colour.

3)      Paul Rogers (Free; Bad Company; Queen) Positives: Great blues singer; good musical understanding. Negatives: Rather limited in focus and range of expression; poor writer.

4)      Freddie Mercury (Queen) Positives: Charismatic; Powerful; Melodic; Writer; excellent voice; brilliant crowd control. Negatives: Inclined to camp and overstatement; too smooth; too fascinated by styles of the past to write well.

My Choice: Peter Gabriel. Although relatively-poor as a singer next to the others, his sense of drama and colour and mood would, in my opinion, give a sharper focus, direction, and would be an excellent spokesman for the music the band tried to portray.

Guitarist

1)      Robert Fripp (King Crimson) Positives: Outstanding musician; intricate and intelligent; musically very articulate. Negatives: Inclined towards the esoteric; shunning powerplay; a danger of disappearing up his own passages.

2)      Brian May (Queen) Positives: Virtuoso technique; brilliant use of tone and sound; lovely construction of segments. Negatives: Inclined towards set play rather than improvisation; rather formulaic in approach.

3)      Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)Positives: Capable of almost any style and technique; writer; vocalist. Negatives: Inclined to want to do things his way without band input. An eccentricity that seeks the superficial at times; an obstinacy that can bring negative input to the band.

4)      Steve Howe (Yes) Positives: Excellent technique; complete command of the instrument; virtuoso passages of play. Negatives: A detachment from the music at times; a tendency to play for complexity rather than feeling; an alarming unawareness at times.

My Choice: Lindsey Buckingham. His all-round ability and technical excellence swung my vote ahead of the others, who are all marvellous in their sphere. But Lindsey would, to me, provide a springboard for almost anything the band cared to do.

Bassist

1)      Greg Lake (King Crimson; ELP) Positives: A solid band force; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: Superficiality; disinterest in anything but his own contribution.

2)      Jack Bruce (Cream) Positives: The greatest modern-era bass player; confident, solid; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: A rather sloppy sound at times, unchanging, one kind of approach.

3)      John McVie (Fleetwood Mac)Positives: The most melodic and inventive of players; thoughtful, tuneful. Negatives: Not the greatest technician by any means.

4)      Chris Squires (Yes) Positives: A solid force and grounding; plays like a lead guitar. Negatives: Plays like a lead guitar; not always sympathetic to the needs of the band; the treble sound he uses, though individual, can sometimes fail to give enough bottom to the band.

My Choice: John McVie. Though perhaps the weakest of the four technically, John has a range of melodic structures that are compositions in themselves, and this would bring something different to the table, especially suited to this band.

Drummer

1)      Carl Palmer (ELP) Positives: Powerful; the full range of technique; showman. Negatives: Some mid-range playing missing; something of an exhibition drum clinic drummer; would he notice if the rest of the band left the stage?

2)      Michael Giles (King Crimson)Positives: Cunning; expressive; subtle; dynamic. Negatives: Not a powerhouse; a particular kind of drummer.

3)      Roger Taylor (Queen) Positives: Solid and dependable; Writer; musical; extremely capable. Negatives: Perhaps not always inventive enough; lacks blues; leans towards pop before prog.

4)      Bill Bruford (Yes) Positives: Has the full range of technique and capability; unusually subtle for a powerful drummer. Negatives: Guilty of detachment from the music; at times a pure drum clinic drummer, part of the drummer’s union rather than the musician’s.

My Choice: Roger Taylor. Roger’s all round capability and reliability decided this vote. It was a close call for me between Roger and Michael Giles. Michael only lost out because he was almost too suited to the melodic and dramatic feel given by Peter and John. I felt that adding Michael would have made the band too one-dimensional, whereas Roger can give those melodies and colour some certainty.

Keyboardist

1)      Rick Wright (Pink Floyd) Positives: A remarkable pedigree and range of sounds; a good band player. Negatives: Not a virtuoso or even first division in technique.

2)      Keith Emerson (The Nice; ELP) Positives: First-class technique; greatest showman; interested and very capable in new sounds. Negatives: Inclined to bombast and jamming; better at set pieces than improvisation.

3)      Billy Ritchie (Clouds) Positives: The most dynamic; carries a band on his own; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: somewhat power mad ,inclined to try and be the band; not a great soloist; not at all adapted to synths or adept at using them.

4)      Rick Wakeman (Yes) Positives: The best technique of any famous modern player; the best range of sounds and alternative keyboards. Negatives: Inclined to use the band as a doodling pad; uses one hand rather too often.

My Choice: Rick Wakeman. No real agonies here at all. It has to be Rick because of his authority over many keyboards and sounds, allied to his virtuoso technique. We don’t need a showman like Emerson (who would be second choice, also an excellent technician) or a one-man-band like Ritchie (with a sound and power that would knock walls down – we’re planning to be more subtle and interesting than that).  We don’t need Rick (Wright) to supply the colour on his own either. Hopefully the band as a whole will do that.

Other

1)      Ian McDonald – Sax/flute/vibraphone/keyboards/guitar (King Crimson) No other comparative choices available; Ian adds a special extra texture.

THE BAND

PETER GABRIEL (vocals)

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM (guitar)

JOHN McVIE (bass)

ROGER TAYLOR (drums)

RICK WAKEMAN (keyboards)

IAN McDONALD (sax/flute/vibraphone/keyboards/guitar)

X  (the missing 7th member)

I’ll leave you to guess what kind of music this band would produce (while I think about it myself!).

Quite the post! Clap

I'd say someone like Neal Morse who can play a variety of things would be a good 7th member, especially because that hard rock/symph sound is what this band is leaning towards.
BenevolentBehemoth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 20:27
Peter Hammill - Vocalist
Kerry Minnear - Keyboards/Cello/Vibes
Ray Shulman - Bass/Violin
Miles Davis - Trumpet
John Mclaughlin - Guitar
Bil Bruford - Drums
Bruce Fowler - Trombone
Jimmy Hastings - Flute, Saxes, Clarinets

Ultimate Jazz/Prog band.
giselle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 09:49

All lists like this are purely subjective. Even then, it’s difficult to choose and almost discriminate against fine musicians. But I’m not just choosing the individuals, I’m trying to find a balance for the band. So some of the choices are made on that basis, not because the individual is better than the other candidates, but because I believe him to be better for this band.

The candidates are as follows:-

Vocalist

1)      Peter Gabriel (Genesis; Solo) Positives: Charismatic; Writer; Intense; good sound. Negatives: A good actor rather than singer, limited range.

2)      David Coverdale (Deep Purple; Whitesnake) Positives: Powerful; melodic; good sound. Negatives: Lacks some depth of expression; can be superficial and unaware of colour.

3)      Paul Rogers (Free; Bad Company; Queen) Positives: Great blues singer; good musical understanding. Negatives: Rather limited in focus and range of expression; poor writer.

4)      Freddie Mercury (Queen) Positives: Charismatic; Powerful; Melodic; Writer; excellent voice; brilliant crowd control. Negatives: Inclined to camp and overstatement; too smooth; too fascinated by styles of the past to write well.

My Choice: Peter Gabriel. Although relatively-poor as a singer next to the others, his sense of drama and colour and mood would, in my opinion, give a sharper focus, direction, and would be an excellent spokesman for the music the band tried to portray.

Guitarist

1)      Robert Fripp (King Crimson) Positives: Outstanding musician; intricate and intelligent; musically very articulate. Negatives: Inclined towards the esoteric; shunning powerplay; a danger of disappearing up his own passages.

2)      Brian May (Queen) Positives: Virtuoso technique; brilliant use of tone and sound; lovely construction of segments. Negatives: Inclined towards set play rather than improvisation; rather formulaic in approach.

3)      Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac)Positives: Capable of almost any style and technique; writer; vocalist. Negatives: Inclined to want to do things his way without band input. An eccentricity that seeks the superficial at times; an obstinacy that can bring negative input to the band.

4)      Steve Howe (Yes) Positives: Excellent technique; complete command of the instrument; virtuoso passages of play. Negatives: A detachment from the music at times; a tendency to play for complexity rather than feeling; an alarming unawareness at times.

My Choice: Lindsey Buckingham. His all-round ability and technical excellence swung my vote ahead of the others, who are all marvellous in their sphere. But Lindsey would, to me, provide a springboard for almost anything the band cared to do.

Bassist

1)      Greg Lake (King Crimson; ELP) Positives: A solid band force; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: Superficiality; disinterest in anything but his own contribution.

2)      Jack Bruce (Cream) Positives: The greatest modern-era bass player; confident, solid; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: A rather sloppy sound at times, unchanging, one kind of approach.

3)      John McVie (Fleetwood Mac)Positives: The most melodic and inventive of players; thoughtful, tuneful. Negatives: Not the greatest technician by any means.

4)      Chris Squires (Yes) Positives: A solid force and grounding; plays like a lead guitar. Negatives: Plays like a lead guitar; not always sympathetic to the needs of the band; the treble sound he uses, though individual, can sometimes fail to give enough bottom to the band.

My Choice: John McVie. Though perhaps the weakest of the four technically, John has a range of melodic structures that are compositions in themselves, and this would bring something different to the table, especially suited to this band.

Drummer

1)      Carl Palmer (ELP) Positives: Powerful; the full range of technique; showman. Negatives: Some mid-range playing missing; something of an exhibition drum clinic drummer; would he notice if the rest of the band left the stage?

2)      Michael Giles (King Crimson)Positives: Cunning; expressive; subtle; dynamic. Negatives: Not a powerhouse; a particular kind of drummer.

3)      Roger Taylor (Queen) Positives: Solid and dependable; Writer; musical; extremely capable. Negatives: Perhaps not always inventive enough; lacks blues; leans towards pop before prog.

4)      Bill Bruford (Yes) Positives: Has the full range of technique and capability; unusually subtle for a powerful drummer. Negatives: Guilty of detachment from the music; at times a pure drum clinic drummer, part of the drummer’s union rather than the musician’s.

My Choice: Roger Taylor. Roger’s all round capability and reliability decided this vote. It was a close call for me between Roger and Michael Giles. Michael only lost out because he was almost too suited to the melodic and dramatic feel given by Peter and John. I felt that adding Michael would have made the band too one-dimensional, whereas Roger can give those melodies and colour some certainty.

Keyboardist

1)      Rick Wright (Pink Floyd) Positives: A remarkable pedigree and range of sounds; a good band player. Negatives: Not a virtuoso or even first division in technique.

2)      Keith Emerson (The Nice; ELP) Positives: First-class technique; greatest showman; interested and very capable in new sounds. Negatives: Inclined to bombast and jamming; better at set pieces than improvisation.

3)      Billy Ritchie (Clouds) Positives: The most dynamic; carries a band on his own; Writer; vocalist. Negatives: somewhat power mad ,inclined to try and be the band; not a great soloist; not at all adapted to synths or adept at using them.

4)      Rick Wakeman (Yes) Positives: The best technique of any famous modern player; the best range of sounds and alternative keyboards. Negatives: Inclined to use the band as a doodling pad; uses one hand rather too often.

My Choice: Rick Wakeman. No real agonies here at all. It has to be Rick because of his authority over many keyboards and sounds, allied to his virtuoso technique. We don’t need a showman like Emerson (who would be second choice, also an excellent technician) or a one-man-band like Ritchie (with a sound and power that would knock walls down – we’re planning to be more subtle and interesting than that).  We don’t need Rick (Wright) to supply the colour on his own either. Hopefully the band as a whole will do that.

Other

1)      Ian McDonald – Sax/flute/vibraphone/keyboards/guitar (King Crimson) No other comparative choices available; Ian adds a special extra texture.

THE BAND

PETER GABRIEL (vocals)

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM (guitar)

JOHN McVIE (bass)

ROGER TAYLOR (drums)

RICK WAKEMAN (keyboards)

IAN McDONALD (sax/flute/vibraphone/keyboards/guitar)

X  (the missing 7th member)

I’ll leave you to guess what kind of music this band would produce (while I think about it myself!).

yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 16:18
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

How about a folk-prog orchestra?

Ian Anderson - flute, acoustic guitar, saxophone, mandocello, mandolin
Richard Thompson - acoustic guitar
Peter Knight - violin, viola
David Swarbick - violin, mandolin
David Cross - violin, viola
Sandy Denny, Annie Haslam and Maddy Prior - vocals
Ian McDonald - flute, clarinet, saxophone
Dave Pegg - acoustic bass, mandolin
Eddie Jobson - keyboard, violin
Barriemore Barlow - percussion
Jamie Muir - percussion
David Palmer - orchestral arrangements, keyboards

Very Nice! Clap
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 21:35
How about a folk-prog orchestra?

Ian Anderson - flute, acoustic guitar, saxophone, mandocello, mandolin
Richard Thompson - acoustic guitar
Peter Knight - violin, viola
David Swarbick - violin, mandolin
David Cross - violin, viola
Sandy Denny, Annie Haslam and Maddy Prior - vocals
Ian McDonald - flute, clarinet, saxophone
Dave Pegg - acoustic bass, mandolin
Eddie Jobson - keyboard, violin
Barriemore Barlow - percussion
Jamie Muir - percussion
David Palmer - orchestral arrangements, keyboards
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rikkinadir View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 14:42
Robert Fripp: guitar
Steve Hackett: guitar
Tony Levin: bass
Tony Banks: keyboards
Hugh Banton: keyboards
Peter Hammill: vocals
Ian Anderson : flute
Bill Brufford: drums
David Jackson: saxophones

Clap

Heathcliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 03:15
Originally posted by yanch yanch wrote:

Peter Gabriel-Vocals and piano
Ian Anderson-Vocals (from before his throat issues), flute, Acoustic Guitars, sax
Steve Hackett-electric guitars
Chris Squire-bass and backing vocals
Tony Levin-stick
Bill Bruford-drums and percussion
Kerry Minear-Keyboards and backing vocals
Symphonic with some eclectic and folk for good measure. Smile

Great Dream Band !!!
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 01:02
Daniel Gildenlow - Vocals