Topic ClosedTop 5 Prog Bass players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 03:49
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

With all respect, I can't understand why folks consider McCartney as a top bass player - he plays 'for the song', but so does Geddy.................they both played Rickys, I know whose tone I prefer................

For me, Macca get's the recognition because he was the first bassist to step out from the role of just thump-thump-thumping the tonic note in the background.  Give Sgt Peppers a critical listen and notice how the bass parts are melodic and mixed way up front with the guitar and vocal parts.  Then compare that to the bass parts of other 1967 songs...the only other rock bassist I can think of that was doing anything else revolutionary at that time was Jack Bruce.  Between the two of them, they moved bass from the anonymous shadows to center stage and laid the groundwork for the other "Lead Bass" players to come (Squire, Geddy, etc).  Until then, you never really heard the bass and that might be because the bass just wasn't doing anything very interesting.   
Since you put it that way, he is a pioneer of sorts, I get where you're coming from, but he never advanced himself - the most involved playing from Paul is on 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' !!  For me, the bassists which stood out in that era were Jack Casady and Phil Lesh, even Roger Waters.  I always looked beyond the 'sound' - more at technique and skill - and Casady & Lesh surpass Macca's abilities.  I do love Macca's bass playing on Revolver the most. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 09:51
Hmmm...I guess you could say by the time of "I Want You" that Macca had progressed as far as he was going to.  Nothing he did solo or in Wings after really stands up to the inventiveness he showed with the Beatles.  I don't agree with you on Casady or Rogers but do agree on Phil Lesh.  He was very inventive but OMG I hate his tone, especially on the 60's recordings...always sounds too "twangy" and "midrangy" to me.  
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 10:35
Ray Shulman
Geddy Lee
Tony Levin
John Myung (not in my faves, but boy can he play)
Chris Squire

Honourable mention to Les Claypool for his unique playing style and songwriting.

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 15:07
Updated:

1. Dan Briggs (Between The Buried And Me
2. Arif Mirabdolbaghi (Protest The Hero)
3. Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher)
4. Stanley Clarke
5. Holger Czukay
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2013 at 23:38

Hmmm...I guess you could say by the time of "I Want You" that Macca had progressed as far as he was going to.  Nothing he did solo or in Wings after really stands up to the inventiveness he showed with the Beatles.  I don't agree with you on Casady or Rogers but do agree on Phil Lesh.  He was very inventive but OMG I hate his tone, especially on the 60's recordings...always sounds too "twangy" and "midrangy" to me.  
On some of the early Hot Tuna albums, Casady was outstanding !!  I suppose Waters was similar to Macca. I thought that 'twang' you talk of Phil Lesh's bass was distinctive - I always thought of it as 'woody' and 'hollow' (the bassist of Krautrockers 'Agitation Free' is a dead-ringer for Lesh, both in style and sound), but you're right on about his inventiveness. It just puzzled me how many regard Macca as a top bassist, but I suppose I can understand why - I was approaching this from a different angle and missing the context........ 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 13:32
"Woody" and "hollow" are perfect Phil Lesh tone descriptions as well!  Do you know by chance if it was because of the type of bass he played or the amp setup he used?  

Funny, the only album I have with Jack Cassady on is the Hendrix 1968 "Live at Winterland" CD.  Jimi has him come up on stage to play bass on Killing Floor.  Unfortunately, you can't really pick out what Cassady plays because Noel Redding is busy overplaying at the same time LOL
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 16:08
Geddy Lee
Chris Squire
Ray Shulman
Tony Levin
Roger Waters
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 03:08

"Woody" and "hollow" are perfect Phil Lesh tone descriptions as well!  Do you know by chance if it was because of the type of bass he played or the amp setup he used?  

Funny, the only album I have with Jack Cassady on is the Hendrix 1968 "Live at Winterland" CD.  Jimi has him come up on stage to play bass on Killing Floor.  Unfortunately, you can't really pick out what Cassady plays because Noel Redding is busy overplaying at the same time LOL
I always put it down to that hollow-body bass he had at that time - but he still got a similar tone throughout the 70's with his custom-made Alembic (with about 10 dials on it.......).  Could be down to his amp.  I like his bottom-end rumble of 'Live Dead' (amazing performances - especially 'St Stephen' and 'The Eleven'). It was very twangy on 'American Beauty'. The guy in Agitation Free looks like he has Lesh's bass..........I think he wanted to be Lesh LOL.
If you get a chance, track down the Hot Tuna footage of 'Mann's Fate' - Casady is most righteous. 
Oh, and I caught up with some Macca bass - his lines on 'Taxman', 'Rain', '...Mr Kite' and 'Don't Let Me Down' are pretty awesome actually. John Entwistle was another revolutionary bassist who was also impressive.....
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 03:52
Martin Turner of Wishbone Ash hasn't been mentioned yet so I thought I'd post this clip.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNJqVW2L5is

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 02:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I always put it down to that hollow-body bass he had at that time - but he still got a similar tone throughout the 70's with his custom-made Alembic (with about 10 dials on it.......).  Could be down to his amp.  I like his bottom-end rumble of 'Live Dead' (amazing performances - especially 'St Stephen' and 'The Eleven'). It was very twangy on 'American Beauty'. The guy in Agitation Free looks like he has Lesh's bass..........I think he wanted to be Lesh LOL.
If you get a chance, track down the Hot Tuna footage of 'Mann's Fate' - Casady is most righteous. 
Oh, and I caught up with some Macca bass - his lines on 'Taxman', 'Rain', '...Mr Kite' and 'Don't Let Me Down' are pretty awesome actually. John Entwistle was another revolutionary bassist who was also impressive.....

Glad you gave some Beatles/Macca bass parts another chance.  In addition to the songs you mention, my fave bass lines can also be found in "With a Little Help From My Friends", the bridge section of "Old Brown Shoe", "Hello Goodbye", and what was probably the first recorded "fuzz bass" in "Think for Yourself".

Ya, totally forgot about Entwhistle!  Talk about a distinctive tone and style...he should also get credit for blazing the "lead bass" trail.  The mini bass solos he plays in "My Generation" were so over the top as to be shocking in 1965.  He also defined the stereotypical bass player persona, big quiet guy with a deep voice who never talks, but just keeps the bottom moving along.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 03:37

'Paperback Writer' is another rip-snorter of a bass-line. Yes, Entwistle was truly gifted - he would've made for an extraordinary 'Prog' bassist (in the order of Squire, Lee etc. - not that he wasn't, but 'The Who' are not really my kind of Prog - as good a band as they were....).

Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:37
In order;
1.Squire
2. Stanley Clarke
3. Wetton
4. Greg Lake
5. Mike Rutherford
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:26
No particluar order.....               

Squire
Wetton
Colin Edwin (PT)
Levin
Rutherford
Trey Gunn (KC)
Lee

but a few of my all time faves are not 'prog' bassists per se......Jack Bruce, Pappalardi, Berry Oakley, Jeff Berlin,
Jaco Pastorius, Clarke, Entwistle, etc.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dark Nazgul View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 12:36
Richard Sinclair
"Fish" Squire
Tony Levin
Geddy Lee
Jaco Pastorius

bonestorm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member