Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProcol Harum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 09:18
The band couldn't redeem themselves to a large portion of the 60's crowd. They were under pressure to be the same band in areas of Art Rock composition and for whatever reason they were not. I was 11 years of age when I heard them and by 1971 th / IOile so called in crowd were making statements like.....I only listen to the first 3.          A very difficult situation for the band and by the time Broken Barricades was released they had a new audience from a younger generation. Yes and Genesis experienced the same situation where many audiences appreciation revolves around a specific growth period of the band and are only buying tickets to get their personal dosage of that....and if any? Something was in the air during the 60s ....a disciple for the band and linked to the departure of Mathew Fisher. After they lost several important members they faced redemption. Grand Hotel was a fine return to their early works....but also surpassed those high expectations of the 60s audience. 
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2014 at 09:26
I think that Procol Harum never chose to be a fully progressive rock band and were unsure to capitalize all their potential.

They were on the verge of becoming an exciting symphonic prog band after the superb Shine on Brightly. 

Brooker thought otherwise.

Fisher was gone.

Trower was more interested in a rocker sound a la Hendrix, so ther spark was gone and the 60s' atmosphere never left them.

So they remained on the border.

A terrific band, though. Albums like Broken Barricades or Exotic Birds and Fruit are simply wonderful ("As Strong as Samson" is a classic).

Edited by Andrea Cortese - April 30 2014 at 09:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123