FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechnicality vs. Musicality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technicality vs. Musicality
    Posted: April 29 2011 at 17:59
How's it going?  When it comes to prog rock too much technical proficiency of a band often tends to ruin the music.  I'm not saying that being great at your instrument is wrong, all the contrary.  But I feel many bands make decisions just to show off what they can do, instead of what can they make you feel. 

An example that comes to my mind the quickest is the decision DT made regarding their new drummer.  While they had a chance to gain some (or lots! of) musicality, in my opinion, they blew it off by choosing a technically great drummer, but not a very musical one, compared to some of the other drummers that auditioned.  

This happens in other bands also, but the you have a band like VGG (just an example), which also has incredible musicians, and they show off their genius while still maintaing a high level of musicality, and technical skills.  

< ="utf-8">Any thoughts on this?  
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:10
You should check out some prog-electronic. It's hard to show off on an analog synthesizer Wink

But I do agree with you. Too much technicality makes bands seem kind of annoying, like Unexpect. But it's all a matter of opinion, which is the reason for the Tech/Extreme Prog Metal genre on this site; some people just dig some technical mess.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:12
Of course I choose Musicality. I don't like so much the technicality in music.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
jmatos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:28
From a musicians standpoint, the more technical skills you have, the better your ability to express yourself.  And this can be applied for any kind of art.  < ="utf-8">I'm a musician and while I do enjoy technicality, there comes a point where the overuse just gets in the way.  I mean, it's very fun to play that type of music, but you get my drift. ;)
Mastosis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:32
I prefer to listen to music, not techno, so does that answer your question?
A wise man once said, " I have always wanted to be quoted."
jmatos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:33
Originally posted by Mastosis Mastosis wrote:

I prefer to listen to music, not techno, so does that answer your question?

Yes it does ;)
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:48
I honestly do like technicality a lot. If done right it's very impressive, and I listen to music to be impressed. I go to concerts to see improvised solos, jazz impresses me. And technicality does as well. It's very fun to listen to and if mixed with Musicality well you get acts like Animals as Leaders or Dream Theater. I feel like "Technicality" is what separates "Progressive Rock" from "AOR", Dream Theater from Creed or Metallica, or Yes from Styx. And yes, musicality as well, but Technicality is what many people tend not to listen to. And I find it very intriguing and satisfying. 

Edited by Mushroom Sword - April 29 2011 at 18:49
juandhaltrich View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 18:49
for me they're related a lot. of course they're not completely related. the thing is that even if you got great ideas for your music, it will not show very well executed, unless you got technical in your power to display them.
im saying: there are not great prog bands with great musicians that ARE NOT well trained in their instruments. what i said is a contradiction of course. a great musician cant be a lousy player of his instrument. at least he's decent, lol! but out of joking, the point is that it's true. a great prog band HAS TO have technical players of their instruments in it. otherwise what's the point?
though i understand the point of discussion. i agree in part of it. but not completely. excess in technical is wrong. excess in musicality is never wrong lol!, though with lots of musicality and nothing in technical doesnt work either. great imagination for creating your music, and a god-alike technical display=dream band.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 19:09
Musicality.

I love technical skill, but in some restraint.
If its nothing but technicality while it is impressive....just leaves me cold and uninterested.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 19:14
The two are thoroughly unrelated.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:16
Musicality is more important to me, but I like technicality also.
prog058 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:37
Originally posted by jmatos jmatos wrote:

How's it going?  When it comes to prog rock too much technical proficiency of a band often tends to ruin the music.  I'm not saying that being great at your instrument is wrong, all the contrary.  But I feel many bands make decisions just to show off what they can do, instead of what can they make you feel. 

An example that comes to my mind the quickest is the decision DT made regarding their new drummer.  While they had a chance to gain some (or lots! of) musicality, in my opinion, they blew it off by choosing a technically great drummer, but not a very musical one, compared to some of the other drummers that auditioned.  

This happens in other bands also, but the you have a band like VGG (just an example), which also has incredible musicians, and they show off their genius while still maintaing a high level of musicality, and technical skills.  

What they were looking for clearly is technical ability (they need it to play Portnoy's stuff and future DT stuff) but also musical ability. They chose Mike Mangini because he made a big impact on them with his emotional playing. Mangini felt the songs. You need both. Look at a classical musician. A great classical pianist possesses incredible technical skill and and a deep understanding of music. They play with so much emotion. The more technically proficient you are, and the more you know about music theory, the more it enables you to express emotions through your playing.
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:53

To address the topic at hand. musicality is all that really matters. Technicality is only important in so far as it serves the cause of musicality. 

Of course being a great technical player opens up musical options, but musicality is valuable in and of itself, whereas technicality is not. 

Edited by QuestionableScum - April 29 2011 at 20:59
jmatos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:57
Originally posted by prog058 prog058 wrote:

What they were looking for clearly is technical ability (they need it to play Portnoy's stuff and future DT stuff) but also musical ability. They chose Mike Mangini because he made a big impact on them with his emotional playing. Mangini felt the songs. You need both. Look at a classical musician. A great classical pianist possesses incredible technical skill and and a deep understanding of music. They play with so much emotion. The more technically proficient you are, and the more you know about music theory, the more it enables you to express emotions through your playing.

I understand what you mean perfectly.  I apply that to myself and look to get technically better in my instrument in order to express my ideas better.  
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:11
C'mon now, I love technicality and I'm not afraid to say it--  I also love musicality, both extremes bring what they do best to the party.  Now; I dislike albums that fail to do either or do them poorly - e.g. LTE's debut - whereas Planet X does tech beautifully and if someone wants to say it's not "musical" that's fine, because it succeeds in its realm. 

jmatos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:33
I also love technicality.  That's one of the many great things of progressive rock, and that's what started me with prog. I'm not going against technicality, what I mean is not to sacrifice musicality in order to be more technically impressive.  A good example that comes to mind is Porcupine Tree.  Great musicianship, and the technical abilities of every player is outstanding!  All this without sacrificing the music. < ="utf-8">Just take a look at Gavin Harrison's videos, very technical, but musical at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMGGE2AdGZY

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 21:48

hyperlink and you'll get more business

-- yes that's a nice example of musical technicality (though at times it does verge on Jizz)

jmatos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 22:08
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

hyperlink and you'll get more business

-- yes that's a nice example of musical technicality (though at times it does verge on Jizz)

Hahahahaha... Thanks for that.  Didn't know how to do it.  Well he's just as musical with all the bands that he play's in. Wink  

Edited by jmatos - April 29 2011 at 22:09
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 23:18
Technicality by itself with nothing else of interest in the music is largely abhorrent for me except in fusion or jazz based music but that again would be when the stuff they are playing is interesting, which it often is with the trade offs and unisons.  In my view, everything you put into a composition must aid the development of musical drama, mood and emotion.  It could be very simple parts or it could be highly technical but it must be the compositional imperative driving these and not the 'need' to show off. I cannot and never will come to terms with an approach where you just cut loose without warning to show "Hey, look at me, I am so talented".  There is always the live setting to perform improvs and extended solos.

EDIT:  Also, I dig a great technique which makes the performance more aesthetically appealing rather than just greater difficulty levels.  Bill Bruford's work on Red is magnificent for instance and that is something I can relate to and appreciate as a listener. It is not that I cannot tell at all what is more involved and what isn't, but that is not so important to me in my listening experience. A musician playing very demanding music but delivering it in a rather sterile fashion does nothing for me.        

Edited by rogerthat - April 29 2011 at 23:46
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 00:05
I don't care about "musicality", but I'm also not impressed or interested that someone can play something difficult very quickly, especially when technicality so often seems to mean "playing scales incredibly quickly". So I don't know how to answer your question. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>