Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCurrent opinion on James Labrie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current opinion on James Labrie
    Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:16
I couldn't find any threads about him. So, what do you think about James Labrie? I've heard some people call him annoying, some people call him skilled, that, "he isn't a rock singer, definitely metal" and even when he sings metal, it isn't very good.

I personally like him very much. I think he's very talented, and really enjoy his vocals. I think the high pitched yelling, especially on the "A Change of Seasons", album, that everyone seems to hate is very impressive.

Well, what do you think of him?
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:21
Well, I can't understand this hate about James Labrie here. I accept that his voice isn't so good now. But generally I like his vocals and A change of seasons is an amazing Ep.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:23
I didn't like his vocals the first few times I heard them, but they very quickly grew on me and I consider them an integral part of Dream Theater's sound (which happens to be my favorite progressive metal band).  An extremely good singer.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:24
Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Well, I can't understand this hate about James Labrie here. I accept that his voice isn't so good now. But generally I like his vocals and A change of seasons is an amazing Ep.

Please don't misunderstand me (I wouldn't wish this misfortune on anyone), but I think his voice sounds better after his food poisoning incident- I honestly do.  I really don't like the singing on much of Images & Words

He seems to have a warmer tone on later albums that isn't so shrill.
topographicbroadways View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:32
On the more more symphonic/prog rock style pieces like Octavarium and Six Degrees his voice fits perfectly. And on Train Of Thought his voice just about fit the heavier style. But his voice fit much less on the last 2 albums where Portnoy took them off in a more Metal direction, especially on Black Clouds the music is just written for a different vocalist. Hopefully the new album is much more like DT and less like the Metal catering that happened on the last album, then LaBrie's presence will feel right.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:34
He needs to enunciate better. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:37

The guy can sing but there's just something about his voice that I can't get away with. Just my personnal taste I guess as I know many rate him.

The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 14:42
I used to endure listening to him when I was a DT fan. I can't take it anymore though.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 15:35
I've only heard him off of Scenes from a memory and random tracks like pull me under and panic attack; I think he's an amazingly talented singer, though I do have a soft spot for tenor voices, even though the large vibrato can be grating sometimes.
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 15:58
It depends on the tone range he tries to sing on. I don't like him when he tries to sing too high, I guess as a band they must be aware of his good range and the musicians should adjust the key they play the songs in to make James sing comfortably, but it seems like they do not always succeed.

And he had quite a bad period singing live, most of the times I have seen them live he did not sing too well, but in studio he is ok. I think Six Degrees was maybe his best period.

And surely he has become an integral part of the DT sound (but I'm not too fond of their latest albums).
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Geo Prog Geo wrote:

Please don't misunderstand me (I wouldn't wish this misfortune on anyone), but I think his voice sounds better after his food poisoning incident- I honestly do.  I really don't like the singing on much of Images & Words

He seems to have a warmer tone on later albums that isn't so shrill.

I will agree with the warmer tone. I understand what you want to say. But for me, those days his voice was great.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 16:30
He's OK.  A bit peaky sometimes, when I saw DT live a while back he had an awful time hitting notes.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 17:12
^ That's my main complaint with LaBrie - he's much better in the studio than live, not just as far as range is concerned, but also hitting notes (pitch) - he's usually a bit flat, which is something that will annoy some people, while others don't even notice.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 18:27
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

It depends on the tone range he tries to sing on. I don't like him when he tries to sing too high, I guess as a band they must be aware of his good range and the musicians should adjust the key they play the songs in to make James sing comfortably, but it seems like they do not always succeed.

And he had quite a bad period singing live, most of the times I have seen them live he did not sing too well, but in studio he is ok. I think Six Degrees was maybe his best period.

And surely he has become an integral part of the DT sound (but I'm not too fond of their latest albums).

My sentiments exactly.Clap
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:07
He's very hard to bear when he gets into those head voice-y high sustains because his diction is especially terrible at these times.  Also, has an annoying habit of breathing very audibly between lines when he's doing soft singing.  Sure, Matt Bellamy does that too and in a far more annoying way but I don't consider him a great singer either.  My no.1 complaint with LaBrie though is that he has a whole slew of artificial mannerisms. When he does grit, it sounds like a bad Hetfield imitiation. When he sings softly, like on Another Day, he seems to be channeling George Michael and doing it badly again.  The emotive thrust is almost always overshot and overwrought. Now, if you don't mind any of these things, you'd like his singing a lot because he has really good range but for me, these and many other things are very off putting so I bear with his singing perforce on those DT songs and albums that I like .
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:41
Remember them in the eighties? Guess what wasn't there. That's right: Labrie.
Mushroom Sword View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:42
I've also noticed the maturity between albums. Listening to Awake or Images and Words, he sounds so much higher (sound-wise) and younger compared to Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:43
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Remember them in the eighties? Guess what wasn't there. That's right: Labrie.

Wally has a point.  Not only was WDaDU their best album, Dominici (sp?) was a far better vocalist.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 22:45
I do not like his vocals. Sometimes good but generally they don't do much for me and often I dislike them.
Maybe they are better now but really, from beginning to now I am not a fan.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 00:05
I did not like his singing on "Images & Words" either, but I thought he did pretty good on "Black Clouds & Silver Linings."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>