Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Stanley Kubrick Movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What is your favourite Kubrick movie?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [4.11%]
1 [1.37%]
8 [10.96%]
22 [30.14%]
17 [23.29%]
1 [1.37%]
11 [15.07%]
4 [5.48%]
6 [8.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 18:43
Dr. Strangelove and Clockwork Orange by far, followed by 2001 and Full Metal Jacket. Eyes WidenShut disappointed me.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 02:38
A Clockwork Orange from the list,but where is ''Killers Kiss ''
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 15:30
I can never get sick of 2001. There's always something new that  I learn from it because there are so many ways of interpreting it. A timeless masterpiece. I think People will be watching this film an wondering about it forthe next hundred years. It's not going to fade away and become 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 06:38

This is a classic trailer parody - so misleading and hilarious!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 10:05
Wow - try this VIRTUAL TOUR of the Stanley Kubrick Museum Archives! It takes you on a 3d panorama tour of the entire Kubrick museum display

just found this tonight - superb look at the archives!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - June 03 2011 at 10:06
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 13:47
Oh no I have just changed my my mind. My favourite Stanley Kubrik movie is Titanic. Only because it has really good prog song by Céline. 

Edited by Vibrationbaby - June 03 2011 at 13:47
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2011 at 17:14
Full Metal Jacket. I haven't seen 2001, but I've seen it synced with Pink Floyd's Echoes.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 05:20
^^^ yes its great with Echoes - I saw Shining on youtube with Meddle as well and it was very weird, but worked somehow.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 08:37
Favourite KUBRICK LINES

mine:

Chronological lines per films

Strangelove: Mein Fuhrer, I can valk!

Hal: I'm afraid.... My mind is going.... There is no question about it... My mind is going.... I can feel it... I can feel it..... I can.... feel it

Alex: There's been some very large talk behind my back, and no error!... What's all this about the big, big money... If we want pretty polly we take it...

Bullington: The pistol must have been faulty... can I have another?

Jack: I did hurt him once okay? It was an accident... could have happened to anybody... a momentary loss of muscular coordination... a few extra foot pounds of energy.... per second... per second...

Alice: And I could hardly... move...

Bill: Fidelio.
Masked Leader: That is right.. that is the password for admittance... but what is the password for the house?
Bill: I seem to have forgotten it.
Masked Leader: It doesn't matter whether you have forgotten it or whether you ever had it... remove your clothes...

(some of these quotes arent exact but that is according to my memory anyway)

KUBRICK=GENIUS
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 09:39
Some thoughts about THE SHINING:

I like the idea of the film really being a representation of Jacks novel which is likely to be a horror ghost story cos he had writers block. When Ullman mentions the Grady tragedy, notice the look on Jacks face as if a light has gone on he has been enlightened! - he at last has the idea for his novel! Rob Ager (Collaborative Learning website) looks at some of this in his analysis. But I would like to think the whole movie is relatively Jacks novel unravelling pience by piece. the black titles in the film are chapters. Each chapter features a new plot line with Danny becoming more and more awakened.

It makes sense then that Kubrick chose the most eccentric takes of the acting of his players. Jack really overacts in the -'gimme the bat' scenes. (Simpsons made fun of this beautifully) - Wendy overacts terribly in the scene where she is roaming the hotel at the end, looking catatonic - like characters in a badly written novel. Lets assume that Jack is a failed author therefore his novels are badly writtenand we are seieng this in some of the banal dialogue and 'acting'. There are times when the acting is realistic and the scenes are straight forward and these could be the 'reality' in between the novels scenes.

Could I also put forward some ideas of Danny and the Maze.

Rob Ager again has touched on this but I had thought that Danny had inside info on the maze. He knew the maze and therefore had been there before.

Evidence?
1. He led his mother straight to the centre. it took no time for Danny to find the centre and his mother simply had to chase him ('to keep America clean'). She says its so beautiful and she didnt know it was so big. But Danny doesnt have any dialogue to indicate he is surprised by this, though he does agree with his mother.

2. Danny knew the maze to such an extent that even late at night in the freezing snow he easily was able to trap his father. He led Jack to a dead end and then backtracked his footsteps and once again easily found his way out of the maze to his mothers arms. How could he so easily find his way out? He must have memorised it. But ow could he memorise it unless he had been there before?

There are some explanations as to Dannys knowledge of the maze:

1. Tony supernaturally led him there to the centre and out again. This would only work if Tony really was a force talking to Tony with foreknowledge of events and would indicate preternatural intervention.

2. Danny simply fluked it. He got to the centre after some trial and error dead ends and therefore eventually found the centre simply by logical process of elimination. This of course would mean he flukes it again at the end when he finds his way out of the maze so easily yet his father is trapped.

3. He is led through the maze by his mother - she follows him but is kind of chasing him to the centre. This means that she knew somehow where the centre is. And it does not explain how danny at the end was able to navigate the maze so easily.

One may assume that the maze was easy anyway and not a challenge. However when looking at the maze carefully in the aerial shot, it is not an easy maze rather is quite a challenge, so how does Danny navigate it so easily? Is there another explanation? At this point you may hypothesize that the maze is not real and does not exist. Rob suggests the Overlook and the maze are one and the same by design and this may be true in light of the logic of the situation.

Fascinating film!
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 04:52
Big Kubrick fan here. Wrote a lengthy essay about him senior year in high school.

2001>A Clockwork Orange>Dr. Strangelove>The Shining>Full Metal Jacket>Eyes Wide Shut

How can people say that the second half of Full Metal Jacket is disjointed or wasn't interesting? If there were no recurring characters to follow into war then I could understand, but we see Joker and his buddy Cowboy go from recruit training into Vietnam.Confused

Never finished Lolita or Barry Lyndon due to watching at a friend's house (I usually make it a point to finish a movie even if I don't like it). Never started Paths of Glory.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 13:55
My favorite movie director everHeart
This is really tough, but I think A Clockwork Orange just about takes the cake, although I´ll probably regret that decision, the next time I watch The Shining, Strangelove or 2001...
I love the fact, that the movie doesn´t contain any sympathetic characters. They are all somebody, you don´t really care for. You feel pity for the old man getting a beat down in that tunnel, but he is an unknown, only there to crystallize the overall emotionless vacuum of the movie. I don´t have to watch the movie ever again, not because I don´t want to, but because it sliced its way into my brain - leaving one of my most treasured scars. It stays vivid and fresh and memorable - never losing its initial bite, and that is the true mark of a masterpiece in films.    
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
EchidnasArf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 14:26
^^ I actually really liked the character of Alex in A Clockwork Orange. Despite his lack of loyalty to his "droogs" and his passion for "power violence", he's portrayed as a relatively lovable character. There may be no empathy felt for him at the start of the film, but by the end you should have been rooting for him.

I love your avatar btw. Probably my favorite Francis Bacon painting.
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 10:23
Clockwork Orange!Tonight I will be drinking Moloko Plus.
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2011 at 10:43
I have "already voted in this poll". Probably for Eyes Wide Shut.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 07:32
I also "have voted already". I am sure it was for 2001, my all time favourite movie Approve. But Dr. Stranglove, A Clockwork Orange and Paths of Glory are great, too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 07:40
I love all his films in some way but the standouts are 2001, ACO, then Shining and FMJ, but EWS grew on me...
Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2011 at 17:22
2001: A Space Odyssey. No contest. Best film of all time (kinda).
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 19:44
Oh man . I am not sure I can pick between Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork, 2001, Strangelove and The Shining.

Went for The Shining.

Edited by Sheavy - July 31 2011 at 19:45
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 20:04
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Some thoughts about THE SHINING:I like the idea of the film really being a representation of Jacks novel which is likely to be a horror ghost story cos he had writers block. When Ullman mentions the Grady tragedy, notice the look on Jacks face as if a light has gone on he has been enlightened! - he at last has the idea for his novel! Rob Ager (Collaborative Learning website) looks at some of this in his analysis. But I would like to think the whole movie is relatively Jacks novel unravelling pience by piece. the black titles in the film are chapters. Each chapter features a new plot line with Danny becoming more and more awakened.
Good analogy, I'm generally against interpretation but since Stephen King seems to frequently find ways to write about being a writer, this could be accurate

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Could I also put forward some ideas of Danny and the Maze.
Rob Ager again has touched on this but I had thought that Danny had inside info on the maze. He knew the maze and therefore had been there before.

One may assume that the maze was easy anyway and not a challenge. However when looking at the maze carefully in the aerial shot, it is not an easy maze rather is quite a challenge, so how does Danny navigate it so easily? Is there another explanation? At this point you may hypothesize that the maze is not real and does not exist. Rob suggests the Overlook and the maze are one and the same by design and this may be true in light of the logic of the situation.

Fascinating film!
My feeling on this - having never read the book - is that Danny is able to see the same aerial shot we see through a kind of self-projection, piece of cake for a gifted one like him  Approve

Edited by Atavachron - July 31 2011 at 20:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>