Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBooks on prog subgenres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 13:32
I apologize that i'm exhuming dead thread, but could anyone recommend me books on Prog rock subgenres such as Avant, RIO, Krautrock, Zeuhl and even regional Prog scenes? i would appreciate it very much, thank you
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 03:49
A thread isn't dead if the topic interests people.  Until it's locked, then those interested must start a new one themself.

This book on Krautrock is excellent.

Edited by Stool Man - June 05 2013 at 03:52
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 07:27
Yes, the Kotsopolous book is  excellent - deep on the scene at the time (albiet lacking when it comes to discography of obscurer Krauts)

Being a poor boy, I gots the local library to get it for me.

However, they let me down on these books which I wanted much more:

MORTON JACK - GALACTIC WOTSITS (RAMBLE?)
MORTON JACK - ENDLESS WOTSITS (JOURNEY??)
PATRICK LUNDBORG - PSYCHEDELICA
jOHAN KUGELBERG & PAUL MAJOR - ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE: HOMEMADE RECORDS 1958-1992
SCOTT FARAGHER - HAMMOND BOOK
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2013 at 02:36
Time for another thread resurrection. I'm interested in reading up on the history of electronic music, specifically what happened between Kraftwerk and the IDM explosion of the 1990s. So far on my reading list is that book mentioned on the first page that several PAers wrote and the following:

Julian Cope - Krautrock Sampler
Mathias Kilian Hanf - Detroit Techno
Simon Reynolds - Energy Flash
Simon Reynolds - Generation Ecstasy

I might also look up Jim Derogatis' Turn on Your Mind to see what he has to say on the subject. That book's about psychedelic music in general and all about drawing lineages from the 1960s to now, but him having to focus on several different genres and subcultures over 40 years often results in his coverage being rather superficial. (I reviewed that book's previous incarnation Kaleidoscope Eyes)

There's also quite a bit of more fanziney stuff about the industrial end of things, most notably the RE/Search handbooks.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2013 at 12:05
Jim DeRogatis' book is great for psyche, yeah. 

rotten hound of the burnie crew
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:20
Originally posted by from calyx from calyx wrote:

The book will aim to provide the definitive history of the Canterbury scene, as documented in the extensive press archive I have had access to, and as told by its protagonists, a lot of whom I have interviewed. The book will also offer a critical perspective on the vast musical legacy of that scene....

I'm thinking that this will be impossible, since the beginnings of the Canterbury scene involved too many other arts and disciplines, that pop music folks do not believe in, or have ever heard. On top of it, the folks involved were so ripped, they didn't know the difference, and hearing about it today is ignored. Daevid's recollections are the clearest, but he is being polite and not saying a whole lot, and the others are so quiet as to be embarassed that they were there and had sex with whomever!

A work that was more complete, and had more information in it would be interesting, but I can not see anyone being man enough to even talk to actress Julie Christie, or actor Michael Caine, and they were all there, and even spent time in the same house as Ayers, Wyatt, Allen, several other artists, painters and writers, that we choose to ignore, rather than find why they are all there in the first place. It doesn't have to be a tittilating experience or a Pam des Bullpucky, but it would give it some depth that would help make the whole thing more valuable. But excusing it on some esoteric, and absurd musical note or notation, is a waste!

And it is sooooooooo artistic to have writers, poets and philosophers listening to jazzy music and discussing their latest adventure, you know. That story is in hundreds of Parisian cafes in the 20th century! Oh, that would interest your book a lot! Heck, even Yoko One, was in the same neighborhood, but taking her feelings and word for any value?

Edited by moshkito - October 01 2013 at 10:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 10:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by from calyx from calyx wrote:

The book will aim to provide the definitive history of the Canterbury scene, as documented in the extensive press archive I have had access to, and as told by its protagonists, a lot of whom I have interviewed. The book will also offer a critical perspective on the vast musical legacy of that scene....

I'm thinking that this will be impossible, since the beginnings of the Canterbury scene involved too many other arts and disciplines, that pop music folks do not believe in, or have ever heard. On top of it, the folks involved were so ripped, they didn't know the difference, and hearing about it today is ignored. Daevid's recollections are the clearest, but he is being polite and not saying a whole lot, and the others are so quiet as to be embarassed that they were there and had sex with whomever!

A work that was more complete, and had more information in it would be interesting, but I can not see anyone being man enough to even talk to actress Julie Christie, or actor Michael Caine, and they were all there, and even spent time in the same house as Ayers, Wyatt, Allen, several other artists, painters and writers, that we choose to ignore, rather than find why they are all there in the first place.

And it is sooooooooo artistic to have writers, poets and philosophers listening to jazzy music and discussing their latest adventure, you know. That story is in hundreds of Parisian cafes in the 20th century! Oh, that would interest your book a lot! Heck, even Yoko One, was in the same neighborhood, but taking her feelings and word for any value?

So, what do YOU wait for writing such a book? Come on, Moshkito, write a book, go and see artists  and write a book!
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 12:40
Here are some of my favorite books related to progressive and electric folk:

Seasons They Change: the Story of Acid & Psychedelic Folk by Jeanette Leach
Electric Eden: Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music by Rob Young
Electric Folk: The Changing Face of EnglishTraditional Music by Britta Sweers
White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s by Joe Boyd
Twenty Thousand Roads: The Ballad of Gram Parsons and his Cosmic American Music by David Meyer
Laurel Canyon: the Inside Story of Rock-and-Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2013 at 17:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

So, what do YOU wait for writing such a book? Come on, Moshkito, write a book, go and see artists  and write a book!

Half way there.

And for your record, some folks at PA are being interviewed for it as well, because they deserve the credit and the beauty their words carry in this place, instead.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12