Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1997: Art Zoyd Häxan or Robert Wyatt Shleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Could you choose a favoured album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [20.00%]
5 [50.00%]
2 [20.00%]
1 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1997: Art Zoyd Häxan or Robert Wyatt Shleep
    Posted: May 04 2011 at 18:12
Lots of albums I love from 1997 (and some might be surprised to see me do a poll for this year without mentioning Hoyry-Kone, and I thought about including Faust''s and Bondage Fruit's and others) but I've decided to focus on these excellent albums from these quite acclaimed acts with considerable discographies.

From Haxan:

From Shleep:

I love both albums, but do listen to Haxan much more these days.

3.89 | 9 ratings

Häxan

3.81 | 41 ratings
Shleep

Edited by Logan - May 04 2011 at 18:15
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 21:32
I can't vote as i don't know "Haxan" but i sure enjoyed the sample you posted Greg.
"Shleep" is a great album by the way.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2011 at 22:49
Haxan is the next Art Zoyd I'm trying to purchase, if it makes any difference.

And I find Shleep ok. Nothing particularly great IMHO. Its funny though, almost spun Shleep eariler today but decided on some UZ instead.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Haxan is the next Art Zoyd I'm trying to purchase, if it makes any difference. .
ive recently become obsessed with Art Zoyd. ive known about them for along time, largley through the Nosferatu soundtrack, which i knew of long before i knew who they were. trying to purchase thier records is no easy task, and at present i own Berlin (which is great) and Phase 4 (which i got today and is probably the most expensive cd ive ever bought). Next i'm looking for a copy of the mariage du ciel et de l'enfur.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 12:09
 I've been very into Art Zoyd for quite a few years, and used to be quite obsessed, but moved onto other things mostly.  I had a lot of Art Zoyd albums, and quite  recently returned to ones I hadn't listened to in quite a long time or listened to attentively with headphones in quite a long time, and became obsessed again.  Over the last months I would say that the Art Zoyd albums I've listened to the most would be Generation Sans Futur, Les Espaces Inquiets and Haxan, but I'll happily listen to any Art Zoyd album, and have been listening to many of them again.  I used to sometimes find Art Zoyd's  long pieces tedious, unless I was in the mood, but not anymore, and I'm always in the mood.  Art Zoyd is not my only current obsession, but it does get a lot of plays.

Art Zoyd is a very special band to me, and has been for years.  There have been many acts I lost interest in in the meantime since I was discovering so much music, but with Art Zoyd my already very significant appreciation has really deepened over time (Magma, which I discovered after Art Zoyd is another, but I'm not so into Magma anymore).

--------------------------------------

Thanks John for listening to and commenting on that music.

I also think Shleep great; great in its way.  Following from Phil's comment: I dont put it up there with Rock Bottom, but it is one of my favourite Wyatt albums and has some of my favourite Wyatt music (I'd still put his subsequent, what, like six years later, Cuckooland over it overall, but I still like Shleep very muchly).  I like all Wyatt albums up to and including Comicopera.

So I'm the only one to vote for Haxan -- I do think it's one of Art Zoyd's best albums, and would be one of my very favourite albums of the 90s -- mind you I could say one of my very favourite albums for Art Zoyd with other decades too. It's a shame that more people don't know it or a lot of other Zoyd, but yeah, the albums don't tend to come cheap (seen good download mp3 deals).
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 14:41
My top five Wyatt albums in no particular order :
Rock Bottom
Dondestan
The End Of An Ear
Old Rottenhat
Shleep
I don't think too many Wyatt fans would list the same five.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 15:12
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Rock Bottom
Dondestan
The End Of An Ear
Old Rottenhat
Shleep

Good list. Actually, that would be very much like my own; except that I'd really want to have Ruth is Stranger than Richard and Cuccooland in my list as well (I wouldn't want to have to stick to five).  Been a  long time since I last listened to End of the Ear, by the way -- I'm happy very happily doing so now.  When I first got that album I didn't do nearly so much for me as it does now.  Shleep, on the other hand, I pretty much loved on first listen.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 17:14
Wyatt
Froth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 19:00
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Rock Bottom
Dondestan
The End Of An Ear
Old Rottenhat
Shleep

end of an ear is a fantastic album. there really is nothing else like it, before or since. it also might just have my favourite album cover ever.

i like all wyatts records but my five might be-
Ruth is stranger than Richard
End of an Ear
Cuckoo land
Old Rotten Hat
Shleep

regarding Art Zoyd, does anyone have any thoughts on thier most recent (post-Zeboitzeff) records? would it be worth my while purchasing 'Champ des Larmes' and 'Chute De La Maison d'Usher' whille the're still available?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 19:57
Of those, I only have Les Champs de Larmes. It's less sing-alongable than other Zoyd albums. I actually like it very much, I think there was a visual arts presentation made for the music (not a surprising thing for Zoyd). Some might find too little happening for far too long, and too much noise, not tuneful/ melidic enough -- though it has pay offs for the patient (most Zoyders would be used to that element, but there's a lot of it) but I find it evocative and it does take me on a sort of journey. I like what I heard of the latest. For me Les Champs is definitely worth having, but I think I'd sooner suggest getting more of the classics first.

And I agree that End of the Ear is an excellent album - when I first discovered it I was in a different musical place.

Edited by Logan - May 05 2011 at 20:01
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 20:41
AZ's album availability is certainly the reason why I don't have alot of Zoyd material in my collection. And their "classic" albums are quite expensive, I've never been able to bring myself around to buying them. Of all the ones I've heard Metropolis is actually my favorite.

As for Wyatt...I would probably give Shleep a 3/5. It has its moments of course. And to continue the trend:
Top 5 Wyatt's:
The End Of An Ear
Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard
Rock Bottom
Comicopera
Dondestan

And Shleep is the only other one I've heard...in fairness I rate it about the same as Don...so it could take that number five spot on certain days.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 21:39
Cool to see The End Of An Ear getting so much love around here,i thought i was one of only a few who liked it.LOL  I don't have any of Art Zoyd's later albums so thanks Greg for the insight and you too Phil for the Metropolis recommendation.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 15:02
End of the Ear is so good. I think  It's a really, I'm going to say it even though some people hate to hear it, underrated (i.e. undervalued) and/or, one might say, underecognised album by many people.  For many, I think Robert Wyatt starts (and ends) with Rock Bottom (which I do think a great album, but the earlier End of an Ear just doesn't get as much recogition as I would think it deserves, at least that I see in the forums).  I didn't think that highly of it when I first heard it quite a few years ago (Maybe I wanted an album that sounded more like Rock Bottom), but now I think it's excellent.  I've sometimes forgotten about it, but listening to it again yesterday I was struck with how good it is.  I'm glad you brought it up, John.

Edited by Logan - May 06 2011 at 15:04
 Post Reply Post Reply