Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArt Zoyd appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Art Zoyd appreciation
    Posted: May 07 2011 at 14:59
Okay, I've done quite a few lame, and some good, polls over the years about Art Zoyd.  Earlier today I did another Art Zoyd poll, and then i got rid of it thinking enough is enough -- this is getting spammy.  Art Zoyd has been, maybe, the most important band to me that I've discovered over the past decade.  I used to be obsessed, and have become quite obsessed again, and my appreciation has deepened as my collection has grown and I've returned to albums that I hadn't listened to for a long time.

I adore this group, and I'm hoping to connect with more people who appreciate the music.  I'm also always happy to get recommendations of music from people who like Art Zoyd (Egisto Macchi is one really great one that reminds me in part of Art Zoyd that was a  fantastic recommendation, but I've received many).  Years ago I would search myspace for groups that cited Art Zoyd as an influence and discovered a lot of great music that way. I think of all the groups in PA, that is the group that has really spoken to me the longest and strongest, and has a fanbase that I can readily identify with.

So this thread is where people can discuss Art Zoyd and related music -- chamber music/ chamber rock, electronic, experimental  -- music that should appeal to those who like Art Zoyd.  I may not always be active in this thread because I have a lot of jobs coming my way (getting into the busiest time of the year with my work now.

Edited by Logan - May 07 2011 at 15:00
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 17:34
The first Art Zoyd album I heard was Les Espaces Inquiets, but it came at a time when I was considerably less adventurous, and I found it overwhelming.  I got rid of it, something I regret now.  Currently I have the first four albums (well, the re-done version of their debut) and absolutely love them.  Phase IV is my favourite of them.  I've yet to delve into any more recent Art Zoyd, but feel that I should.  The only thing stopping me right now is the price of their albums.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 18:08
Within the last couple of weeks I've got to hear Symphonie Pour 'e Jour and Musique Pour L'Odyssee. Initial imprssions is that both are excellent and that I'm going to continue exploring this band, though the cost of their albums is prohibitive to say the least.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 21:36
I'll also complain about costs of their albums. Their later albums (that are available at least) are usually pretty fair, but not great, but their early ones are insane. As a result I've only heard their more recent albums. I quite enjoy Metropolis and Berlin. Faust isn't bad either. I have Noufoustu (or however you spell it) hbut haven't listened to it yet. I also have U-B-I-Q-U-E which is alright, but hasn't hit me like the others yet. Generally I'm more of a fan of their faster paced, percussive "driven" works, but even still AZ is usually a good listen. I was pleasently surprised by most of what I heard.

Haxan is my hopeful next perchase (if I can find it somewhere). Eventually I'll have to suck it up and get some of their early stuff. I'll probably start with Phase IV being its the best value and slowly work from there. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 23:20
I loves me some AZ and if their music were not so expensive I assume more people would love them too. Isn't all music from France expensive? I suggested their former bassist/cellist/vocalist Thierry Zaboitzeff; I think he got the thumbs up from the ZART team but he hasn't officially been added yet. As far as AZ albums go, my faves are Generation Sans Futur, Phase IV, Les Espaces Inquiets, Faust and Haxan.

Here's some Zaboitzeff for those who haven't heard his solo stuff:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:22
^ Interestingly, those are exactly the same albums I've been listening to the most over the last months.  They're terrific.

I love what I've heard of Thierry Zaboitzeff, and I enjoyed that vid very much.  Thanks.  As for other Art Zoyd alumni,  I like The Alain Eckert 1981 album very much, as well as Patricia Dallio's L'éncres des Voix Sectretes.

It certainly is a shame that albums are so expensive.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I loves me some AZ and if their music were not so expensive I assume more people would love them too. Isn't all music from France expensive? I suggested their former bassist/cellist/vocalist Thierry Zaboitzeff; I think he got the thumbs up from the ZART team but he hasn't officially been added yet. As far as AZ albums go, my faves are Generation Sans Futur, Phase IV, Les Espaces Inquiets, Faust and Haxan.

Here's some Zaboitzeff for those who haven't heard his solo stuff:

I like. Very sinister.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 20:48
I've never heard Alain Eckert solo yet. Thanks, that was a great song. Just to keep this thread alive let us not forget Art Zoyd's most avant-garde moment...

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 23:49
I wonder why this "Something in Love/Sangria" isn't mentioned in the Wiki article
on Art Zoyd?  Sounds like something happened between 1971 and 1976. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 07:27
I love "Sangria".  Here's the B ("Something in Love") side off that "single" for the curious that don't know it already (though released for the 1971 single, I suspectthat it was recorded in the late 60's.  I coud research, but...).

I just looked at the wikipedia page, and though it mentions that Art Zoyd was formed in 1968,  it only has  a select discography (does not include singles).  I guess no one toom the time to add more info -- it's a really minimal article and hopefully others will eventually add to it.  I am surprised at how sparse that Art Zoyd page is at wikipedia (both English and French pages) .

By the way, Triceratopsoil, it is shame you got rif of Les Espaces Inquiets.  That is one of my particular Art Zoyd favourites (though I've had many AZ albums for years including that one, that has been one that I've particularly played a great deal over the last months -- since putting it on my new iPod it has sometimes been played several times a day.  Listening on an mp3 player really helps me to appreciate music.  Hell, I was listening to Offering on my iPod last night, which I've been rather dismissive of in the past and loving it). Les Espaces Inquiets also an album that I considered considerably underrated at PA (the rating is higher now than it used to be) -- for me it is a five star album, along with an album such as Generation Sans Futur (which I now often cite as the greatest, but Hxan is the other I've been listening to the most of late).  I think I overlistened to some other albums years ago (especially the debut), but will return at some time.

I'd love to recommend Igor Wakhevitch to people who like Art Zoyd (just think it'll appeal to the same).  It was nice to do that Art Zoyd faust vs. Wakhevitch Docteur Faust poll (I went with Docteur Faust).  And I do wish that more people would check out Egisto Macchi:

And while I really appreciate those that have posted here, I might have thought that more people would have as I know that there are quite a few at PA who do like Art Zoyd.  I wouldn't expect it to have the popularity of, say, the Marillion Roundtable thread (I expect that Marillion albums are much cheaper than Art Zoyd's).
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 11:21
I love Art Zoyd. My favorite album is Generations Sans Futur, and I haven't listened to any of their post 1985 albums in years. Unlike most other progressive rock (even bands I consider my own favorites), I find their music uptil that  year to have a lasting quality I never seem to grow tired of (I have an on and off relationship to most music). Don't know what else to write for the time being.

Guess I can write: Check this out! Its a full Egisto Macchi rip, and a fantastic album too:

And isn't this (and many of their other compositions) simply a masterpiece of 20th century art?:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:52
Excellent vids, thanks for posting them, and I feel the same way about Generation Sans Futur.  When I first got the album the first two tracks proved difficult for me, but the others I loved.  I soon grew to really love the whole album, though, and is the album I have listened to more than any other Art Zoyd album.

I do wish to share this excellent Haxan vid (an excerpt) in the topic with people (think it's worth watching -- I'm no artist, but very well done, I think), and I'll post a vid from Wakhevitch's Docteur Faust not only for the great music to share with people but also because of the imagery:

I did a couple of polls of favourites recently, by the way in an attempt to expose people to some good PA-type music, and voted for Art Zoyd (with Area) in one and Egisto Macchi (with Morricone) in the other: Poll: Another A to Z combo , Poll: Which A to Z combo do you order?  

Edited by Logan - May 11 2011 at 12:56
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, Triceratopsoil, it is shame you got rid of Les Espaces Inquiets.  That is one of my particular Art Zoyd favourites (though I've had many AZ albums for years including that one, that has been one that I've particularly played a great deal over the last months -- since putting it on my new iPod it has sometimes been played several times a day.  Listening on an mp3 player really helps me to appreciate music.  Hell, I was listening to Offering on my iPod last night, which I've been rather dismissive of in the past and loving it). Les Espaces Inquiets also an album that I considered considerably underrated at PA (the rating is higher now than it used to be) -- for me it is a five star album, along with an album such as Generation Sans Futur (which I now often cite as the greatest, but Hxan is the other I've been listening to the most of late).  I think I overlistened to some other albums years ago (especially the debut), but will return at some time.

Yeah, I'd love to get another copy some day.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 03:51
Here's what Art Zoyd sounds like in 2011...

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 15:29
I like "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" the best.  

--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2011 at 15:47
Zravkapt, interesting spectacle, thanks for sharing the vid. 

Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I like "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" the best.  

It's a very good album, and I was  pretty obsessed with it a few years ago (especially the first and last track, but then I grew to really like the rest of the album too).

Personal Art Zoyd listening wise, today has been a Metropolis day for me (not one I'd listened to much).  Yesterday was about Faust primarily.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 13:20
I have heard their first six,
Their first four albums are masterpieces in my ears, especially.. well they're quite even actually. Makes for great night listening, especially Phase IV which is the most demanding of the bunch (due to it's lenght). Les Espaces Inquiets is less interesting but still great musically, Mariage is probably the most intense one out of these but pays of well after a few spins. Very underappreciated band here on the archives it seems..
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2011 at 17:11
First AZ is best AZ.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:30
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

I have heard their first six,Their first four albums are masterpieces in my ears, especially.. well they're quite even actually. Makes for great night listening, especially Phase IV which is the most demanding of the bunch (due to it's lenght). Les Espaces Inquiets is less interesting but still great musically, Mariage is probably the most intense one out of these but pays of well after a few spins. Very underappreciated band here on the archives it seems..

I guess Phase IV is one of the most demanding as I still don't wholly love it, unlike Les Espaces Inquiets and many others.  When I first got Mariage I was only really into the opening and closing tracks, but grew to really like the whole thing.  You really should get Berlin, Faust and Haxan.  I like u.B.I.Q.U.e and Metropolis considerably too.

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

First AZ is best AZ.

I'd say Generation sans Futur, it's the one I've kept returning to the most over the last few years, but Art Zoyd has many albums that I love.  Actually been a long time since I listened to the debut (I have the original and re-done versions).
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2011 at 19:32
I've loved all of it I've heard, but there's so much I still need to hear.  My favorite is probably one of the first three (though the only version of the debut I've heard is the re-recording), but they've all been very close so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>