Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - JA's Surrealistic Pillow vs The Doors s/t debut
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJA's Surrealistic Pillow vs The Doors s/t debut

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which album you prefer ----
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [26.00%]
37 [74.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: JA's Surrealistic Pillow vs The Doors s/t debut
    Posted: January 10 2015 at 10:45
Having been around in 1967 I can tell you how popular both of these bands were at the time.
You couldn't turn on a radio without hearing Light My Fire within a few minutes. The same could be said about Somebody To Love (written by Darby Slick) or White Rabbit (written by Grace Slick).
Unfortunately, on AM radio you would usually hear the shortened version of Light My Fire which cut out most of the organ and guitar solos in the middle. 
I felt at the time that JA was the best San Francisco band as far as musicianship with the original Quicksilver Messenger Service a close second.
The Doors had many hits on their debut album that received regular air time while JA was almost limited to the two songs I've already mentioned.
I know that someone said that young people didn't even know who the Doors were but I'll bet most of them would immediately recognize the organ intro of Light My Fire.
That's probably true of the bass line intro of White Rabbit as well.
If not, they would more than likely recognize The End which opened the movie Apocalypse Now.

FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 10:17
The Doors certainly have their appeal and there are a few songs I love. But Jefferson Airplane have a longer history with me. Though it's basically After Bathing at Baxter's and Surrealistic Pillow that I like plus a little from Crown of Creation and the debut.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 10:07
*walks away from this thread..  actually.. running*

really? Angry
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Going for Surrealistic Pillow, because it needs more votes!

Confused ?

I say: The Doors' debut. Oh, s$%t, man, 'Crystal Ship', 'Alabama Song', 'Light My Fire' ... I don't remember anything on the Airplane's effort that could beat that.

The proposed greatness of Surrealistic Pillow has always evaded me. Doors all the way.
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 14:40
Doors by a mile.  JA was cool and their debut is excellent but it didn't affect the music community the way "The Doors" did.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 19:14
Jim was the man! One of the most powerful voices in rock that has been copied about a million times since, but no one reaches his 'boom'. No one, although Brendan Perry comes pretty close.
The Doors were infinitely more than the front cover of Jim in his leather pants though. They had an entirely unique sound. A flamenco/blues guitarist, a classically trained pianist/organ player, a jazz drummer and then topping it all off - a wild son of a gun with lyrical influences stretching as far as Sophocles, Baudelaire, Celiné, Nietszche, Kerouac to film and contemporary art scenes - all of it wrapped up in a highly provocative and abstract manner.
The Doors as a unity though was probably one of the most progressive bands of the 60s. Proof? Listen to The End and then imagine hearing it in 1967.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 16:20
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I woke up years ago, brother.  And so did Doors fans over the age of 18.  Morrison and his schtick got old fast.  By 1970, Jim was a bloated shadow of the lizard king.  How many songs did he write after the first album?  And what exactly was this vision?  Just hype, in my opinion.  His vision seems to be wrapped up in LSD, booze and chicks; nothing wrong with that, but it gets old pretty quickly.  I can't say I dislike all Doors albums - LA Woman was bluesy and energetic, but I've had no urge to put it on since I was in high school....so much more out there to feed the head. 

Jim Morrison was meant for an early death....where else could that "vision" possibly take him?  The shallowness of it all became transparent very quickly.  People went to the shows to see the guy abuse himself and the band.  The music was an afterthought.  Vision, my ass.

1. Jim wrote (or at least, helped write) most of the bulk of the Doors material, including most of Strange Days, "Hello, I Love You" "Love Street", "Five To One", "The Soft Parade", "Queen Of The Highway", "Roadhouse Blues", "The Spy", "L.A. Woman" and "Riders Of The Storm".

2. L.A. Woman is the one you listened to most at the time? Good pick.

3. I don't think the music was an afterthought. A lot of it is very catchy. But that's just me.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 14:01
The Doors by a long shot!!! Big smile

Edited by Michael678 - December 24 2014 at 14:01
Progrockdude
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2014 at 10:59

I woke up years ago, brother.  And so did Doors fans over the age of 18.  Morrison and his schtick got old fast.  By 1970, Jim was a bloated shadow of the lizard king.  How many songs did he write after the first album?  And what exactly was this vision?  Just hype, in my opinion.  His vision seems to be wrapped up in LSD, booze and chicks; nothing wrong with that, but it gets old pretty quickly.  I can't say I dislike all Doors albums - LA Woman was bluesy and energetic, but I've had no urge to put it on since I was in high school....so much more out there to feed the head. 

Jim Morrison was meant for an early death....where else could that "vision" possibly take him?  The shallowness of it all became transparent very quickly.  People went to the shows to see the guy abuse himself and the band.  The music was an afterthought.  Vision, my ass.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:35

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I've never understood the popularity of the Doors or Morrison.  People who knew him say he was a clown with absolutely no musical talent - he didn't play, couldn't read music, and worried more about his appearance than about the band.  Even the band say he was a pain in the ass, but he was their meal ticket.  Morrison is most remembered either by his photos or his Lenny Bruce wannabe exploits.....his music is slowly dying out and will probably be forgotten completely before very long.  When I was a kid, they were huge, but my 18 year old musician nephew had never even heard them, but he has seen the Doors logo and Morrison photos.

Doors - hugely overrated.  Wish Manzerek and the boys had left Morrison to his own devices 'cause some of their music shows talent.
U-u-uh ... he had a voice. And it worked with the music. That was enough for me.

I honestly think that the idea of music/musician is being mis-represented and at the same time over rated.

Does the person that run a Hospital have to be a Doctor? NO.

Does a person that couldn't give a sh*t about musicians with over rated knowledge of their keys and scores, not help a musician learn how to use his notes and scores?

YES is your answer.

And this is the part that we are not willing to accept and understand. Nothing against the other 3 folks with The Doors, but separately they had no ability that no one else had before ... nothing new under the sun. But together, with a man that had VISION instead of music, they ended up with several outstanding albums of material that is right away special and amazing!

Sometimes it takes a vision ... not music! And this is what today's music is missing! It's too composed, for it to have a soul and vision behind it that is more than a supposed idea because CMaj is supposed to be happy ... and you no longer pay attention to the mood and the playing behind it anymore!

WAKE UP ... as Jim would have said!

Sorry ... Jefferson Airplane is special and I have a lot of their work, but they are not one half as powerful and detailed in their literacy than the Doors wver were, and that is the part that many folks here don't like! Too smart for them and they don't know the meaning of the images, and some of them scare the living sheep dip out of you!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:33
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Pillow has some good moments but I like The Doors album beginning to end Wink

I feel the same. 
One thing though which has always bothered me with JA are the overemotional vocals from Marty Balin. I could never get into them.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:55

I've never understood the popularity of the Doors or Morrison.  People who knew him say he was a clown with absolutely no musical talent - he didn't play, couldn't read music, and worried more about his appearance than about the band.  Even the band say he was a pain in the ass, but he was their meal ticket.  Morrison is most remembered either by his photos or his Lenny Bruce wannabe exploits.....his music is slowly dying out and will probably be forgotten completely before very long.  When I was a kid, they were huge, but my 18 year old musician nephew had never even heard them, but he has seen the Doors logo and Morrison photos.

Doors - hugely overrated.  Wish Manzerek and the boys had left Morrison to his own devices 'cause some of their music shows talent.
U-u-uh ... he had a voice. And it worked with the music. That was enough for me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:27
Being prog lovers, we seem to gravitate toward the Doors. It must be the organ. LOL

Seriously, I think the Door's debut is a far superior album.

Edited by SteveG - December 18 2014 at 15:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:40

Morrison is most remembered either by his photos or his Lenny Bruce wannabe exploits.....his music is slowly dying out and will probably be forgotten completely before very long.  

Will it die out faster than, say, Iron Butterfly and will it be when the last hippie dies?

Honestly, I think the other Doors and Morrison kept each other in check. Morrison kept the Doors from being boring and the Doors kept Morrison from going overboard with his lyrics (though Morrison's poetry started showing potential by the time he kicked the bucket).

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:32
Pillow has some good moments but I like The Doors album beginning to end Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:27
Doors, I suppose.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 13:24
I've never understood the popularity of the Doors or Morrison.  People who knew him say he was a clown with absolutely no musical talent - he didn't play, couldn't read music, and worried more about his appearance than about the band.  Even the band say he was a pain in the ass, but he was their meal ticket.  Morrison is most remembered either by his photos or his Lenny Bruce wannabe exploits.....his music is slowly dying out and will probably be forgotten completely before very long.  When I was a kid, they were huge, but my 18 year old musician nephew had never even heard them, but he has seen the Doors logo and Morrison photos.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 03:45
The Doors
This night wounds time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 23:36
The Doors, mostly for Morrison's lyrics.

Though, I admit, Jack Casady was a good bassist.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2012 at 10:12
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Going for Surrealistic Pillow, because it needs more votes!

Confused ?

I say: The Doors' debut. Oh, s$%t, man, 'Crystal Ship', 'Alabama Song', 'Light My Fire' ... I don't remember anything on the Airplane's effort that could beat that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>