Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Toto albums?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Toto albums?
    Posted: May 09 2011 at 15:33

In another thread someone has embedded a YouTube clip of Toto playing a proggy jazz-rock track and it is fantastic.  I don't know much about this band apart from the hit song Africa.  But I think some serious investigation is now needed. 

Could you please recommend 3 or 4 of their albums that are worth buying.  Obviously the more proggy the better, but I'm not averse to a bit of melodic AOR - as long as its not too cliched or syrupy.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 15:56

AOR : fahrenheit, isolation, tambu

neo-proggish : first, seventh one, falling in between

mainstream rock : turn back

soul, funk and rock : hydra, IV

hard-rock : kingdom of desire

eclectic : mindfields

symphonic/OST : Dune

They are all good.

I strongly advise you to purchase their 'livefields' which sums it pretty well their career.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 15:59
I am not allowed to post more Toto, sorry people are tired of my Toto-affection

but hell no im not gonna buckle under when my fav band is discussed

from the album Kingdom of Desire

Edited by aginor - May 09 2011 at 16:01
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 16:05
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

They are also one of my favourite bands Wink. And no, I am not tired of your TOTO-affection.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 16:08
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

In another thread someone has embedded a YouTube clip of Toto playing a proggy jazz-rock track and it is fantastic. 

if you like TOTO's jazz-rocky tunes, you might be interested in Simon Phillips' album 'symbiosis', Steve Lukather's 'Candyman' and Los Lobotomys' self-titled album.
clarkpegasus4001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkpegasus4001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 23:52
Try Hydra (my fave) in fact try the first 4 Toto albums!  Cool or Fahrenheit for AOR great band!
Tony C.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 06:59
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

AOR : fahrenheit, isolation, tambu

neo-proggish : first, seventh one, falling in between

mainstream rock : turn back

soul, funk and rock : hydra, IV

hard-rock : kingdom of desire

eclectic : mindfields

symphonic/OST : Dune

They are all good.

I strongly advise you to purchase their 'livefields' which sums it pretty well their career.

I think also Isolation an tambu are  neo proggish, I think Isolation as a vry technical album they do a lot of tricky stuff their in such high speed, also Tambu is also quite eclectic, even features a hip hop song.
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 11:50
Great recommendations.  Thanks everyone.  I will be putting an order into Amazon by the end of the week.
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Green Shield Stamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Shield Stamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 12:20
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

but hell no im not gonna buckle under when my fav band is discussed

from the album Kingdom of Desire

A brilliant track - just the sort of music I want to listen to.  I will definitely be ordering a copy of 'Kingdom of Desire'.

Edited by Green Shield Stamp - May 10 2011 at 12:20
Haiku

Writing a poem
With seventeen syllables
Is very diffic....
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 15:28

also some OST

not really representative to their album music but it is quite epic music, if you like Morricone you will like Toto film music

jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean-marie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 18:27
Got them all , love them all Smile
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 16:15
I would go with the first two albums
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 19:20
Dune baby Dune
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilmon91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 19:30
For me, there's a lot of Toto songs which are totally "drained" of their quality, they're  "exhausted" because of being overplayed (on radio and on live shows). I was wondering whether I should see them on their tour in summer, but after looking at the set list, I realize that there's not one of those songs that I would like to hear, and I don't think Toto can do anything new with those songs.

Once I liked "Rosanna" for example, but now I can't hear it. So I have to look for the songs that feels "fresh" to me.

Listening to samples on Amazon to refresh my mind:

The three first songs on "Toto" are really good.
Fahrenheit has two really good songs - "Til the End" and " I'll be over you"..
From "The Seventh One" I think "A thousand years" and "Home of the Brave" are very good.

"Turn Back" is an album I have overlooked a bit.... Had to listen to the whole album again. "Million Miles Away" is really nice. I also like "Goodbye Eleonore" and "If it's the last night", apart from the chorus which is a bit "too much".

"Isolation" has 6 great songs. Mr Friendly is also nice. Only weak stuff is "How does it feel" (bad) and Change of Heart and Holyanna.

Toto IV - Most of the songs have been worn out for me, or I just don't like it anymore. But I love that middle section in "Lovers in the Night".

Hydra - I used to really like this album, but now I only really like "Hydra" and "A secret love".

Kingdom Of Desire - My favourites are "The Other Side" and "Jake to the Bone", and I also like "Wings of Time" despite it being pretty straightforward. "Gypsy Train" has a cool drum groove but the song is slightly repetitive.

Tambu - Not so exciting, but "The Turning Point" is pretty nice.

Mindfields - Not so exciting, "Caught in the balance" and "Cruel" is quite okay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would recommend four albums, Isolation would be the easiest pick to begin with.

I thought I would come up with four recommendations. But it's impossible! I recommend these:

Isolation (!)
Toto
Fahrenheit
The Seventh One
Turn Back
Hydra
Kingdom Of Desire

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2018 at 01:55
debut
Isolation
IV
Tambu
Mindfields
The Seventh One

these are my favorite albums from Toto. 

Steve Lukather's solo works are worth checking out as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply