Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Opens The Vault
    Posted: May 18 2011 at 21:38
Indeed, a concert from the Animals tour would be the most amazing thing to see on DVD, showing Pink Floyd at their very peak... but for the time we'll have to be content with an audio release of a Dark Side of the Moon concert (that is to come as an extra CD on Dard Side new release, on the experience edition), a few songs on video DVD (Careful with that axe and Set the Controls, if I remember well, also included on the new Dark Side release, but on the immersion edition); and also (from the same concert where Dark Side live was taken) Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Raving and Drooling, and You've got to be Crazy (Dogs and Ship early live versions), to appear on the Wish you were here experience edition.
kwc View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 14:44
Sadly, there's very little footage from the In The Flesh Tour.  I've heard the band recorded every concert, but I wish they'd had the foresight to film them.  The best I've seen is some shoddy looking 8mm from the Anaheim gig, I believe it was.  You're right, though.  I'd pay a lot more than they're asking for an Animals Boxset with good video.
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 21:24
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

Originally posted by JIF8882 JIF8882 wrote:

I notice it says that this is an EMI thing. Will Capitol jump on this? Or is this just a U.K thing? I guess EMI is doing everything in their power to hold onto Pink Floyd since Queen and Paul McCartney have jumped ship.

In the 1970s many big band did spin off labels, I'm surprised Floyd didn't do this, I wonder (this is just a thought) could tey have had more artistic control over their releases (e.g. they wanted THE WALL to be a triple album).
You missed the point. I was simply asking if these new editions will be released in the U.S.
J Dawg
Anguiad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 19:42
Well I guess the "Oh by the way" box set is hardly worth the money now...
"Tis your birth and faith that wrong you...not I."
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 09:28
Originally posted by JIF8882 JIF8882 wrote:

I notice it says that this is an EMI thing. Will Capitol jump on this? Or is this just a U.K thing? I guess EMI is doing everything in their power to hold onto Pink Floyd since Queen and Paul McCartney have jumped ship.

In the 1970s many big band did spin off labels, I'm surprised Floyd didn't do this, I wonder (this is just a thought) could tey have had more artistic control over their releases (e.g. they wanted THE WALL to be a triple album).
CYMRU AM BYTH
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 09:23
as a Floyd fan myself this sounds good, what I find that stands out on this news is the unreleased gems.

Let's hope Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream (both from 1967) get the official shout.

DSOTM - Live at the Rainbow 1972 should also be considered.

I too hope these are remastered properly, not this new craze where everything is in the front, and hardly no backing tracklines, very annoying technique.

I wonder if Arnold Layne and See Emily Play will ever get a STEREO mix?? (nothing wrong with the mono mixes though)Tongue

Edited by PROGMAN - May 11 2011 at 09:24
CYMRU AM BYTH
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 07:54
Originally posted by Luca Pacchiarini Luca Pacchiarini wrote:

They still have to release the Division Bell outtakes... it was originally intended as a double album and the unreleased tracks are said to have an ambient/atmospheric mood
Yes you're right , i forgot that and i'm interresting with it Wink
Luca Pacchiarini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 06:39
They still have to release the Division Bell outtakes... it was originally intended as a double album and the unreleased tracks are said to have an ambient/atmospheric mood
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 05:08
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Seeing unreleased material unearthed is never a bad thing. (Though I doubt they have much that the most hardcore fans/bootlegers haven't already heard in some form).If they could somehow put together some "Official Bootleg" DVD of a Water's Era concert that would potentially be awesome. Seeing as this is what that article is about I have no problem this.

The thread title kind of scared me. I thought this was potentially about a new album of songs from Gilmour/Mason. That must never happen. Never again.  Gilmour,Mason songs? LOL but last piece Nick did was Speak to me for DSOTM
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 04:54
Some pretty stupid things were said in the other thread, I suggest we use this one further. 
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 04:33
Sorry admins,I didn't see a previously created identical topic.

Edited by TheProgtologist - May 11 2011 at 04:33

JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 03:53
J Dawg
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 02:42
Considering I'm seeing Roger Waters re-imagining of The Wall tonight (over 31 years on from seeing Floyd play it on the first night at Earls Court), perfect timing

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 02:18
Cut and [asted from this press release:

More than four decades after they released their first album, previously unheard recordings from Pink Floyd are to be released this summer.

The tracks will be unearthed from the archives in a schedule of releases which will include collectors' box sets and remastered studio recordings. The unheard recordings include a version of the album title track Wish You Were Here featuring jazz violinist Stéphane Grappelli.

The releases draw a line under legal disputes between the group and their label EMI. In March last year the veteran rockers went to the high court to prevent EMI selling individual tracks online via sites such as iTunes, arguing that in 1999 they signed a contract that "prohibits the sale of albums in any configuration other than the original". Ten months later, the surviving band members – Roger Waters, David Gilmour and Nick Mason – agreed to the sale of single digital downloads.

All 14 studio albums will be re-released under the banner "Why Pink Floyd...?" from September. The Dark Side Of The Moon will be available in a six-disc "immersion" box set or a mere two-disc "experience" version, as well digitally and as a collectors' vinyl LP.

Wish You Were Here will be available on five discs, with material from the band's 1974 Wembley dates, including a 20-minute live version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or two. The Wall, which has sold 25m double sets, will be available in a seven-disc set, including a previously unreleased demo version of The Wall. A single album Best Of collection will also be released.

If more proof were needed that the band have finally embraced the digital age, or have at least loosened the concept of "artistic integrity", a campaign around the release will let fans make "their own creative contributions to the band's music" while iPhone Apps will chart the band's history and influence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How awesome is that?

CoolClap

The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 22:21
Yay :D

Unreleased stuff is what attracts a Floydhead liek me.
Harry Hood View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 22:10
Seeing unreleased material unearthed is never a bad thing. (Though I doubt they have much that the most hardcore fans/bootlegers haven't already heard in some form).If they could somehow put together some "Official Bootleg" DVD of a Water's Era concert that would potentially be awesome. Seeing as this is what that article is about I have no problem this.

The thread title kind of scared me. I thought this was potentially about a new album of songs from Gilmour/Mason. That must never happen. Never again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 18:05
I'm just thinking i would like to get the whole Zabrisky Point sessions that STUPID Antonioni didn't want to use Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 17:54
I own the whole official stull ( lp and cd ) and the solo works so what would i need more? the dvd? got them all as well Gimour as Waters, don't need any thing more except if it's good quality sound that's what i thought but recently , Oliverstoned helped me discover the BBC Archives 1974, featuring DSOTM and ECHOES live, raw versions Thumbs Up
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 16:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

All I care about is live concert DVD (video) from the Waters era.  If they're not going to release DVDs of the 70s tours, then this is a big yawn to me. 

Exactly how I feel. Meddle, DSOFM, WYWH and Animals era live DVD's!
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 16:49
Maybe Gilmour needs the  cash for the Lawyers to keep his son out of Jail LOL

Edited by Hawkwise - May 10 2011 at 16:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>