Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doublerainbow1975 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klaus Schulze
    Posted: March 26 2013 at 06:14
KS wrote -

"Field recordings"?  If I read that, I have to think of a (now) famous name in music who simply takes such "field recordings" from 1959 (blues & gospel), put HIS name on it and gets rich and famous with it.

Could this be what he is referring to?

Moby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ydxr0H6JY

Bessie Jones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfbiIZ_Kh34
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:31
Originally posted by SeventhBridgeofSighs SeventhBridgeofSighs wrote:

Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me – I and the rest of ProgArchives greatly appreciate it. Is there anything else that you’d like to say to your fans?

Thank you, for asking questions so easily to answer :-)

This is just at the end of his interview... i still don't know if his answer was a compliment...or not...

I think it was lost in teh translation, more than likely, and we should not take it literally. But I can't help think that the interview was not challenging for him, in the sense that he had to think about the answers and which words to use.

I would like to see Klaus interview Edgar, and then have Edgar interview Klaus ...  just for fun, and I bet they would actually enjoy talking about a lot of things, and reminisce like no one else! At PA, I would think that the only person that could/should interview a Klaus Schulze should have been Dean!

I don't think it's rude ... I just think that he probably was worried about what questions he might have faced, but in the end it was nothing to write home about.

I do believe that some of his answers were not exactly complimentary to the level/quality of the work itself, and that the person asking the questions was not studied enough to understand/know what Klaus was about. That is the way I see it ... !!!

Edited by moshkito - March 20 2013 at 12:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 16:33

Just read this interview again, I had missed that smirk remark about Moby, couldn't agree more.
The answers from KS are short but there's enough to read between the lines.
If you want him in a slightly more extended form you could always check his albums Tongue
SeventhBridgeofSighs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 14:32

Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me – I and the rest of ProgArchives greatly appreciate it. Is there anything else that you’d like to say to your fans?

Thank you, for asking questions so easily to answer :-)

This is just at the end of his interview... i still don't know if his answer was a compliment...or not...

"Come into the garden, It's magical trees
Dapple the sun as they sway with each lazy breeze;
They'll set your mind at ease" ...

(the 1st of 5 verses of Carly Simon oniric 1971 song "the garden")

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Wow, remind me not to interview him if I ever get the chance.

He should have at least expounded on why deflected most of your questions with non-answers. Much as I try to appreciate what humor there is in that interview, he comes across esoteric at best.

Might as well read biographies and the booklets to re-releases if you want any actual information on his music.

I agree. He kind of offended me by ignoring about half of my questions, and answering the rest with absolutely no interest at all. I didn't find anything funny about his answers, and I'm sad that one of my favorite electronic musicians is someone that I'd never want to have a conversation with.

Pt 1

Everytime I read this comment, I get scared.

Why?

Maybe, I had the chance to hear, and see some conversations between literary giants, that gave it away. I sometimes think that some of it is colored in my head, but there are lots of bits and pieces that stand out ... that I think give us better clues as to how to make things work.

I have done a couple of interviews in my time. And the best 3 interviews, were the ones where the microphone and the pad were put away ... and it was just a nice chat and fun talk over food, wine, a walk, a breeze, a store ... several places, where you got the chance to be with a person ... not some kind of imaginary ideal of musicality, or literacy, or religiosity!

Because some of these are more "personal" than they are anything else, I tend to think that this is not the kind of stuff that magazines or places like PA, want ... because the "fans" don't want friends, or people "they know" ... they want heroes, and someone that knows something more than they do, that can lead them to the Shangri-La land of the best music there is, that is progressive!

I don't suppose that you noticed there were three things that were more demanding ... that had nothing to do with this moment in time with a person in front of you! Now, given that separation, and distance you have created, how do you feel you can answer questions ... that don't even reach ... anything that you are doing, or have any connection to who you are as a person or artist? How would you feel about that person lecturing Gary Green about progressive music -- when he was there composing the stuff that we ended up naming "progressive" later? Embarassing!

Klaus, has to insulate himself, in order to be able to do his work. And that means that most folks will not have the ability, or the sensitivity, to feel it and help him come out of the "shell" and "expose" himself. And maybe some of the questions were questions were designed for someone with a high school education, not a major artist, whose work is not rock'n'roll, and is not there to appease the glut of the masses and PA.

Edgar Froese is the same way ... and he likes to bring along his angry Beethoven bust and put that in your face before the first question. Mind you, he has mellowed out some, but it tells you that he is bored with the questions ... you didn't see that? You have to work harder, to find a thread that will turn him loose ... and say some wonderful things, like he did in the Krautrock special ... you know he was there and has the memory and understands it well ... it's what his work is about.

There are others, for example, that could/should be approached that would help clear up some concepts and ideas that the musical world took on ... for example, film makers, theater folks, and other people that don't get the attention and might actually have more to say, than we think. But we are into "progressive" this and that ... and we can not imagine that these people are intelligent enough to see a movie, a play, listen to something else ... and enjoy a little of "life" ... so we ask questions about "progressive" that mostly have no meaning to their experience.

Try this ... you let them be the first person in the interview to use the word "progressive" ... you never mention it, until AFTER they do ... and then lets see how things endup? See if you can talk specifics about the album and music ... before you get into silly concepts! See if you can talk to a person, instead of an idea!

======================================
Part 2

I have, over the years, over 30 to 40 interviews and reviews with some great folks that I liked, that I thought would be neat to spend some time with and share. I felt as an intruder a couple of times, and the rest of these have come from my dreams, and various conversations with those folks. I can not state, unequivocally, that these are perfect, totally true, and that they tell you who the person is ... but I can tell you that it makes me like their music more and more and more every day ... for few people "know" and "understand" their calling in life, any better than these folks do. And some of them appreciate it. Some don't!

And the only thing I have ever felt and wanted to do in my whole life was to feel "complete" within my own artistic person, regardless of how. I have no idea what "complete" means, but I can't help thinking that this is an important part of that process ... that helps you grow and live, and learn ... and it never felt wasteful to me.

All of these, will be published after I pass on. I do not need the glory, and the exultation, and I feel that these people have been more than an inspiration for my life, my living, and my being ... through their work. Mine is just an observational eye as to what I saw, see, or will enjoy one of these wonderful days!

I have felt, and sometimes wondered, how someone would ask me questions about my own work, and many times I have simply dismissed it as a movie inside my head that does not stop ... and I have to hurry up and take note of the details in order to be able to remember it later ... it's all too much, and still no opium to mess it up even more! These are my poems and my stories, and sometimes my ideas about the arts, which are an extension of my own internal work, and experience.

I would be embarassed, if someone started it all by asking ... how do you feel about progressive music ... for example ... instead of ... how do you feel, today, compared to yesterday ... about all the music that you have written about, and that we know you love? You see ... now, I have a story ... and a theme ... and we can incorporate progressive in the middle of it sooner or later ... instead of starting with a singular question about progressive music ... which would feel just like, if not worse, than a steely dan would! COLD! And IMPERSONAL!

The rest is up to you. If all you want from an interview is a kissypoo idea about supporting "progressive music", I don't think that most folks will sit with you at all! For many of them, it is just music and about the music and its meaning, and has nothing to do with the kitchen pads or pans! And you have to grow up to that, or it will not be a wonder why someone will treat you like an a****le!

I, personally, would like to do something different ... I would like to interview some of these folks that do interviews here on PA ... turn the tables a little, just for fun. Some of them are really good, well rounded (and grounded) folks ... but it takes more than a person, to get a great interview in and out of the closet. And rarely, if ever, is it just a word! Remember that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 15:56

He should have at least expounded on why deflected most of your questions with non-answers. Much as I try to appreciate what humor there is in that interview, he comes across esoteric at best.

Might as well read biographies and the booklets to re-releases if you want any actual information on his music.

I agree. He kind of offended me by ignoring about half of my questions, and answering the rest with absolutely no interest at all. I didn't find anything funny about his answers, and I'm sad that one of my favorite electronic musicians is someone that I'd never want to have a conversation with.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought this. Sorry for the disappointment Alan. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 14:58
^This fine gent obviously knows what he's talking about.
I fully agree Pedro, that is indeed very interesting and also why I don't see him as stuck up like some around here may believe after reading the interview with him here on PA. This 'behind the scenes' shows a whole other side of Schulze, one that highly intrigues this Dane.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 13:48
Originally posted by SFranke SFranke wrote:

Nice work, colorofmoney91! I really like how Klaus handles interviews, since they all are pretty similar. He just doesn't want either to play the interviewers' games or talk about what everyone knows already. It came off as pretentious to me at first, but now I get he's just a really nice guy being honest.

^That Steven Wilson interview can be found on Youtube. And yes, it is quite interesting.

Even better is the other DVD bonus of him talking to the engineers and working a nice detail in the music ... adding a sonic addition to your listening from the CD, that you can only get from the live room, and not on the CD as easily. Totallymagnificent and I think one of the things that helped Steven Wilson learn to master and remaster other albums since then.
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^^^Thanks for the enlightenment MaxClap

I repeat myself^
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 12:15
Just one example to explain things a bit more in detail. Wink

A common kind of German joke goes like this:

A tourist comes to Berlin in order to see some famous sights. He goes to a chippy, and asks the sausage seller (who is a native person) in formal German: "Excuse me, where is the Brandenburger Tor?" -  The sausage seller answers snottily, in a thick Berlin accent: "Suppose it's where it's already been yesterday, ain't it?"

When you - as a visitor from a different country - are in such a situation and make an angry face about this unwished reply, it's obvious that you're not gonna come to terms with this guy. He's not gonna change his behaviour - he is a citizen of a cosmopolitan city.

But if you are able to laugh about this rude humour and ask him again, the guy will surely give you the best of directions where to find your sight.

The people from Berlin are sincere and nice (no intriguers!), but they won't be friends with anyone who they don't know very well.
In the previous centuries, long before the Berlin wall was built, many different people from different cultures came to Berlin - times were hard, lots of bad people at every corner; that's when people needed to protect themselves from everyone who meant harm.
Life is different now in Berlin, but the culture remains - and this is what you'll have to adjust yourself to if you talk with a man like Klaus Schulze.

Edited by Einsetumadur - February 27 2013 at 13:13
All in all each man in all men
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 08:38
Just came across to me as if he couldn't be ar**d

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 07:17
I just read it and was not at all put off by it.  I found it to be very genuine.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 07:14
^^^Thanks for the enlightenment MaxClap

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 06:50
Yeah as much as I appreciate him as a musician, in my land we would call this impolite, to put it nicely, and people would wonder why does he approve to give an interview if he is not willing to answer questions...
I guess that Einsetumadur's comment explains something, remind me to turn down any offer I might receive to go live and work in Berlin...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 02:57
^Quite an eye-opener. This explains something. Thanks Smile.
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 18:08
Just read it today on the occasion of the beer thread.

Klaus Schulze comes from Berlin. I'm German myself, and the innate Berlin people are well-known in Germany for the typical 'Berlin bluntness'. This is not due to translation issues - the people often really talk to each other like this, even among friends. Actually, Klaus Schulze's choice of words is even relatively polite. LOL  The Berlin mentality is rough and really an acquainted taste, many people don't really get on with it, but Schulze certainly does mean no harm with anyone. (WW2-era singer Marlene Dietrich talked in a similar way.)

People from Munich or Hamburg would be different - more polite, but a bit reserved. People from Cologne or from Bochum/Düsseldorf could be similarly resolute compared with Klaus Schulze.

Of course, in every area there are different people with different behaviours, but in general these description are more than just prejudices and work out quite well. Different areas have different cultures, and culture - without doubt - often shapes individual behavior, too.

Edited by Einsetumadur - February 26 2013 at 18:11
All in all each man in all men
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 15:11
Originally posted by Bonnek Bonnek wrote:

Don't take it personally, he's not into reviewers, interviewers and critics
If the situation is right, he can get rather talkative about his music.

I'm wondering if maybe it has something to to with the German language. I only bring it up as a possibility because some of the wording and phrasing in this interview reminded me of Tangerine Dream's FAQ page.

In there, Edgar Froese sounds kind of conceited and dickish, and I was just wondering if something got lost in translation. Though I suppose they've been speaking Englsih for a long time, if not most of their lives, so it's just an idea. Also, was it a phone interview, IRC chat, email correspondence, etc.? It makes a difference.

Anyway, maybe past interviewers were a****les to these guys and that spoiled their outlook for all future reviewers. Whatever. But still, a lot of people actually do like his music, think it's really interesting and unique, and want some insight into it and it's creator. One would think an interview would be a good source for that kind of information, but apparently not.

Also, if there's already a lot of information about his compositions, composition style, instruments, outlook and all that on his website or wherever, why even agree to do interviews when you know people will ask about these things? Again, maybe instead of shooting half of the questions down outright, add something else. Talk about things you haven't talked about.

Edited by stonebeard - May 19 2011 at 15:15
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:33

Don't take it personally, he's not into reviewers, interviewers and critics
If the situation is right, he can get rather talkative about his music.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:20
I don't know, I wouldn't base my opinion of whether or not I wanted to talk with him overall on his behaviour in an interview.  I know I probably wouldn't behave the same while being interviewed and while just talking with someone.  
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>