FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKlaus Schulze

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Klaus Schulze
    Posted: May 13 2011 at 06:52

Klaus Schulze is undoubtedly one of the biggest names in electronic composition, and has been since the early 1970s. Besides releasing incredible solo albums packed with strong emotions and otherworldly atmospheres, Mr. Schulze has also been an early member in both Ash Ra Tempel and Tangerine Dream. Despite his success, he is still a nice and modest man. I was able to get in touch with Mr. Schulze for a quick interview -
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First of all, I’d like to thank you for agreeing to this interview. I’m a great admirer of your work, and it’s an honor to be interviewing you, Mr. Schulze. We’ve already got a lengthy biography of you on ProgArchives, but could you briefly explain how you came to start making electronic music?

Because I was young and was too lazy for a "normal" job :-)  But seriously: this is nothing special. Many teenagers try to make music, not just in the sixties, but at all times. It could be... er... maybe it has something to do with girls?
It's just that most of them (not the girls, I mean the musicians) do not continue, but soon start to work in a "regular" job outside music. The chance to live from doing music, to pay your rent and feed a wife and kids, this chance is very small. Doing music professionally is a full-time job, a real profession, for many it's a life's calling. You cannot do it just on weekends, at your leisure times, for fun. ... Yes, yes, of course you can. Many do. But don't ask to be taken fully serious.

Which artists (musical or non-musical) have had the largest impact on your decision to start making music and your particular style?

Can you imagine that someone has the idea to create something of his own?
But of course we all listened to the pop and rock music of the sixties, when the sixties happened. And probably we all are more or less influenced by it, but we are also influenced by everything else that had surrounded us, and what we have seen, or read, or heard.

If you had to describe your music to someone who has never heard it before, what would your description be?

I don't describe my music. I make my music and I offer it to a public to listen. Some people don't like it, some do like it.

Do you have any musical background before your work in Ash Ra Tempel and Tangerine Dream?

My older brother played in a jazz group. And I learned a bit of playing guitar and drums, as many young boys did during the early and mid sixties, all over in the civilized world. Then I had a trio (guitar, organ, and me on drums) that was playing wild, loud & daring hippie music in Berlin clubs.

What are your thoughts on the music you had made with Ash Ra Tempel and Tangerine Dream?
Ash Ra Tempel - s/t

Tangerine Dream - "Electronic Meditation"

I have good memories of this time.

Your music is very beautiful, serene, highly atmospheric, and each composition tends to flow through a multitude of emotions. Are there any particular atmospheres or feelings that you try to convey to your listeners through the music you write?

No.

What is the process by which you make your music?

I sit in the studio and play my music. I record it, listen & think about it and work on it, play it again, listen & think about it and work on it, etc.  Until I believe it's ready.

What is your favorite equipment to use when making your music?

Always the tools that I need and that are the best available.

Would you mind giving your personal thoughts on these albums?

I don't review my albums.
Of course I like them all. If I would not like them, I would not have done and released them.
Often they ask me: WHICH of your album is the best? And I must answer: I cannot and I will not give high marks or low marks. Every album was right in its time. They are like girlsfriends I once had, I also would not assign marks to any of these nice ladies.

Could you give a few details about what the huge “La Vie Electronique” collection is that has been being released over the past few years?

The details about the already released LVEs are to find in the discography section of my official website. Even more details are in Mueller's THE WORKS, which is a huge discography with ALL details of my recordings, concerts (etc.) and output. Moreover, the booklets in these 3-CD sets include detailed background stories about many of the tracks.  

Since you’ve previously included elements like vocals and acoustic percussion into your work, are there any other musical elements that you’ve thought of experimenting with in your music (traditional Asian instruments, field recordings, etc.)?

Already 37 years ago in BLACKDANCE I used an operatic singer. Later I worked with the great singer Arthur Brown, even later the lovely Lisa Gerrard joined me, and in between there were some others.
Acoustic percussion I also used very often, in concerts as well as in my studio recordings. Sometimes I beat the drums myself, sometimes others. The best was of course Michael Shrieve. But also old pal Harald Grosskopf played his drumset very often with me, at least during the seventies.
"Field recordings"?  If I read that, I have to think of a (now) famous name in music who simply takes such "field recordings" from 1959 (blues & gospel), put HIS name on it and gets rich and famous with it. No, I don't like that and I don't do that. Of course I also use sometimes (but short!) samples, but I can say on principle that I create my own work. It's more joy. 

Is there any important recent news in the world of Klaus Schulze?

If there was or will be something important happen, we will put it into the official KS website, and also "The KS Circle" will write about it.

Thank you so much for agreeing to do this interview with me – I and the rest of ProgArchives greatly appreciate it. Is there anything else that you’d like to say to your fans?

Thank you, for asking questions so easily to answer :-)

Klaus Schulze's PA page is here

Klaus Schulze's official website is here 

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 07:11
Wow, excellent job Alan! Clap And Mr. Schulze is funny as always. LOL
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 07:22
Thanks for the interview Thumbs Up.  

Originally posted by Klaus Schulze Klaus Schulze wrote:

I don't review my albums.
Of course I like them all. If I would not like them, I would not have done and released them.
Often they ask me: WHICH of your album is the best? And I must answer: I cannot and I will not give high marks or low marks. Every album was right in its time. They are like girlsfriends I once had, I also would not assign marks to any of these nice ladies.

Apparently wisdom comes with the years Wink. Here is a list of Klaus Schulze's private top 10's, starting with a top 10 of his own albums dating from October 1997.

Edited by someone_else - May 13 2011 at 07:23
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 07:29
^ LOL @ Madonna & HIM, but w00t @ Porcupine Tree & Opeth! Headbanger
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 10:08
I laughed out loud at some of those answers. He doesn't assign marks to his albums or to his girlfriends LOL. He doesn't describe his music. He plays it. Thumbs Up

Very suprised to see this interview. I've got one that,s been gathering dust that I should get off my ass and format.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 12:56
Wow, awesome!
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 13:16
Cool! I remember I was reading about an interview on his manager's thoughts on KS, and he was always saying how he loved the ladies. LOL
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 13:40
That must have been the thrill of a lifetime Alan ! Nice job too.Clap

"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:11
Nice one CofM, Klaus should consider a career in politics!LOL
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:42
I love his terse replies Thumbs Up

His site is indeed loaded with information, so why repeat it all?
The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 14:45
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

^ LOL @ Madonna & HIM, but w00t @ Porcupine Tree & Opeth! Headbanger

That's just awesome!

jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:34
Thanks ,nice time , i'm sure you already got the dvd at Loreley, Klaus interview by Steven Wilson is quite interresting
SFranke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 08:22
Nice work, colorofmoney91! I really like how Klaus handles interviews, since they all are pretty similar. He just doesn't want either to play the interviewers' games or talk about what everyone knows already. It came off as pretentious to me at first, but now I get he's just a really nice guy being honest.

^That Steven Wilson interview can be found on Youtube. And yes, it is quite interesting.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 16:18
Haha, great one!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 16:45
Nice interview - he doesn't give too much information away, but why should he? Nice to hear from an authentic Kosmiche legend on this site!
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2011 at 17:19
^ Indeed.

Fun read.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 12:56
Wow, remind me not to interview him if I ever get the chance.

He should have at least expounded on why deflected most of your questions with non-answers. Much as I try to appreciate what humor there is in that interview, he comes across esoteric at best.

Might as well read biographies and the booklets to re-releases if you want any actual information on his music.
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:19
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

He should have at least expounded on why deflected most of your questions with non-answers. Much as I try to appreciate what humor there is in that interview, he comes across esoteric at best.

Might as well read biographies and the booklets to re-releases if you want any actual information on his music.

I agree. He kind of offended me by ignoring about half of my questions, and answering the rest with absolutely no interest at all. I didn't find anything funny about his answers, and I'm sad that one of my favorite electronic musicians is someone that I'd never want to have a conversation with.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:20
I don't know, I wouldn't base my opinion of whether or not I wanted to talk with him overall on his behaviour in an interview.  I know I probably wouldn't behave the same while being interviewed and while just talking with someone.  
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 14:33
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I agree. He kind of offended me by ignoring about half of my questions, and answering the rest with absolutely no interest at all. I didn't find anything funny about his answers, and I'm sad that one of my favorite electronic musicians is someone that I'd never want to have a conversation with.

Don't take it personally, he's not into reviewers, interviewers and critics
If the situation is right, he can get rather talkative about his music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>