Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy The '80's Didn't Suck: Kate Bush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What's your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.64%]
10 [45.45%]
7 [31.82%]
2 [9.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why The '80's Didn't Suck: Kate Bush
    Posted: May 13 2011 at 23:02
These four albums forever mark my life. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 13 2011 at 23:22
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 23:17
The Kick Inside.  But of your poll, The Dreaming.  IMO those are her two masterpieces.  Not Hounds. 

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 23:21
The Kick was 1978 not bad as the prog giants were starting to wind down. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 13 2011 at 23:30
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 23:23
Brian check your inbox   Beer
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 23:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Brian check your inbox   Beer
My inbox was displaying 0 LOL  I had two when I pulled it up.  Should report it probably but it's a Friday evening and I don't give a damn. Cool
Cranking up Get Out Of My House, so glad to be out of that damned apartment.
After Get Out, I'm Running.

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 13 2011 at 23:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 01:35
The Dreaming.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 02:03
Hounds Of Love.
I particularly like the split format of having more accessible music on one side and a suite of tracks on the other. But being Kate ,the accessible stuff is a long way removed from the brain dead drivel that would normally be played on the radio. Running Up That Hill is one of the most atmospheric 'pop' tracks ever recorded while Cloudbusting is one the best songs she ever wrote imo. No bad tracks anywhere to be found.

The Dreaming
Much more experimental album that made Kate the female equivalent of Peter Gabriel. Very enigmatic stuff and some stunning songs especially Infant Kiss.

Never Forever
Hopefully this doesn't get NIL votes. Some great songs and wonderfully produced.

Sensual World
My least favourite of the choices available.Seems very unremarkable compared to earlier releases. Not a bad album but KB was in danger of slipping into mediocrity. Unthinkable.

Edited by richardh - May 14 2011 at 02:04
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 16:59
I voted Never For Ever because it is my current favorite Bush album.  Infant Kiss is particularly...well, disturbing.  Great stuff. 
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 17:02
I just want to take time to agree with that title.
Oh and The Dreaming, the best album of the 80s.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 06:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hounds Of Love.
I particularly like the split format of having more accessible music on one side and a suite of tracks on the other. But being Kate ,the accessible stuff is a long way removed from the brain dead drivel that would normally be played on the radio. Running Up That Hill is one of the most atmospheric 'pop' tracks ever recorded while Cloudbusting is one the best songs she ever wrote imo. No bad tracks anywhere to be found.

The Dreaming
Much more experimental album that made Kate the female equivalent of Peter Gabriel. Very enigmatic stuff and some stunning songs especially Infant Kiss.

Never Forever
Hopefully this doesn't get NIL votes. Some great songs and wonderfully produced.

Sensual World
My least favourite of the choices available.Seems very unremarkable compared to earlier releases. Not a bad album but KB was in danger of slipping into mediocrity. Unthinkable.

I agree (except for Infant Kiss whic I think is on Never Forever). Hounds of Love is the best by a fair distance.

I think "Seems very unremarkable compared to earlier releases" just about sums up Sensual World. A great album (containing my favourite Kate song This Woman's Work") suffers from comparison to it's predecessors.
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 10:09
Hounds of Love is absolutely wonderful, it's proof positive that you don't have to sacrifice accessibility, atmosphere and emotion to get experimental at the same time.

Cloudbusting is particularly special to me. It was played at a funeral during a particularly hard time in my life (the death of the person concerned being only one of several catastrophic events) and, incongruously, it felt like this sort of brief island of calm in the middle of all this horrendous stuff. It's kind of been a sanctuary for me ever since.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 10:19
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hounds Of Love.

The Dreaming

Never Forever

Sensual World

I agree (except for Infant Kiss whic I think is on Never Forever). Hounds of Love is the best by a fair distance.

I think "Seems very unremarkable compared to earlier releases" just about sums up Sensual World. A great album (containing my favourite Kate song This Woman's Work") suffers from comparison to it's predecessors.
Infant Kiss is indeed on Never Forever although it really should have been on The DreamingWink

The song I was thinking of was All The Love which is gorgeous.

I listened to Sensual World recently and enjoyed it a great deal. Perhaps I was a little harsh to call it 'unremarkable' although it is not quite as good as its predeccessors there is no shame in that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 10:21
Originally posted by moe_blunts moe_blunts wrote:

I voted Never For Ever because it is my current favorite Bush album.  Infant Kiss is particularly...well, disturbing.  Great stuff. 

pleased to see it get a voteClap
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 00:16

Originally posted by moe_blunts moe_blunts wrote:

pleased to see it get a voteClap

Never For Ever is in my top 3 Bush favourite albums, so had to vote. Big smile

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Harold-The-Barrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 13:03
Hounds followed by never for ever
You must be joking.....Take a running jump......
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 02:39
Well my preferred KB albums are from the 70's.... Sooooo the 80's did suck after all !!!Wink

All kidding aside, even if there is the odd good album that was released in that dreaded decade, they are usually the exception that confirms the rule....
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 09:21
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Well my preferred KB albums are from the 70's.... Sooooo the 80's did suck after all !!!Wink

All kidding aside, even if there is the odd good album that was released in that dreaded decade, they are usually the exception that confirms the rule....

Odd good album?  Nightfly,  The Dreaming/Hounds of Love, Synchronicity/Ghosts in a Machine, Moving Pictures/Signals, Fire of Unknown origin, Discipline, Remain in Light, Gaucho, Metal Fatigue...there's no shortage of good albums from the 80s. Yes, it was no match for the 70s (so what!) but I really doubt the conventional wisdom of the 90s being so much better than the 80s these days. Yeah, if you really hate the guts out of all accessible music, then maybe.  80s production values were awful but the albums weren't necessarily so.

EDIT: On topic, I love the first three of these chronologically almost equally for different reasons but got to give it to Dreaming for just how mad it is.  An incredible and bold metamorphosis of a talented artist.

Edited by rogerthat - June 16 2011 at 10:13
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 11:46
Hounds of Love is such a powerful work, yet individual albums appeal at different times. Sensual World is incredible too. As usual with such excellent music, none has dated although kick inside is my least favorite :-)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 12:00
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Hounds of Love is such a powerful work, yet individual albums appeal at different times.

That is exactly right. Her albums appeal for different reasons and yet it's possible to like a good many of her albums too.  In spite of Hounds of Love's commercial success, I'd have to say she's somewhat underrated.  She has amazing control working within essentially pop form, paints varied and highly evocative textures and writes unusual chord progressions that are still effective and expressive enough to have immediate appeal.  And rarer still is she seems to be able to pull a different ace to bank on in different albums, whereas composers typically identify their strengths early on and tap them to the hilt.  If the first two albums seem to draw more on the conventional focal points of melody and harmony, Hounds of Love relies more on texture and rhythm and I can't say she is less effective as a composer in either approach.

Edited by rogerthat - June 16 2011 at 12:01
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 16:47
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Odd good album?  Nightfly,  The Dreaming/Hounds of Love, Synchronicity/Ghosts in a Machine, Moving Pictures/Signals, Fire of Unknown origin, Discipline, Remain in Light, Gaucho, Metal Fatigue...there's no shortage of good albums from the 80s. Yes, it was no match for the 70s (so what!) but I really doubt the conventional wisdom of the 90s being so much better than the 80s these days. Yeah, if you really hate the guts out of all accessible music, then maybe.  80s production values were awful but the albums weren't necessarily so.

EDIT: On topic, I love the first three of these chronologically almost equally for different reasons but got to give it to Dreaming for just how mad it is.  An incredible and bold metamorphosis of a talented artist.

Soooorry, but....

from your list, not one of these albums would find its place in my top 200 of the 70's if they had been released in 78 or 79 (prog or not)...

Maybe Script and Brother, and Love Over Gold woud scratch the 200 level... UZed certainly gets in though.

And although you're right that the 90's aren't all that great, I can list quite a bit of albums (certainly more than the 80's) that would find space in my 300.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>