Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spirit
    Posted: May 14 2011 at 05:46
Any Spirit fans on PA? i'm amazed , only one review and rating about this incredible album tittled Future games, i can't believe it Unhappy though i know it's more a California, Cassidy project, it's one of the most , fun and lysergic album i 've ever listened to
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 08:54
Huge fan of Spirit. Thier first four albums are fantastic and Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus is a psych classic. Spirit IMO is very under appreciated. Very progressive and eclectic in thier prime time. Jay Ferguson and Mark Andes left Spirit to form Jo Jo Gunne which released four great stomping rock albums.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 10:39
Great band, but never a prog band as such. I guess many of their real fans probably visit other sites.
Thin_Man View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 12:13
I can't say I'm a fan but I like their music... very good band

Edited by Thin_Man - May 14 2011 at 12:14
Have you seen the old world dying
Which was once what new worlds seem
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 13:22

I agree they're not prog - that's why they are listed under Proto-Prog.

I love this band, and have written a dozen or so reviews of their albums although not 'Future Games' mostly because from what I've read it isn't all that good and also because it's a little hard to find unless you want to spring $15 USD or so for the Future/Spirit of '84 combo set.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 13:44
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I agree they're not prog - that's why they are listed under Proto-Prog.

I love this band, and have written a dozen or so reviews of their albums although not 'Future Games' mostly because from what I've read it isn't all that good and also because it's a little hard to find unless you want to spring $15 USD or so for the Future/Spirit of '84 combo set.      Don't trust what you read, just listen, this album is very good , check it out on the web Wink

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2011 at 14:48
I agree Spirit was a great band, from the first album on not afraid to try anything, which in fact may have been one of their weak points.  Dr. Sardonicus is one of the absolute best albums of the era, but like many other listeners I lost interest after Ferguson and Andes left the band. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 20:47
Give Future Games the ultimate spin, you won't regret, every Spirit fan got to listen to it Wink
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 02:14
Originally posted by jean-marie jean-marie wrote:

Give Future Games the ultimate spin, you won't regret, every Spirit fan got to listen to it Wink
salut JM,

Actually I tried many Post Sardonicus albums from Spirit (even the horrible Feedback), but it's just not the same quality as the first four albums.... Beit Copter, Capt America, 76, son Of ,  Potatoland (that one's got some disco beats) or Future Games.... they simply never rises to the waist level of Family, Clear or Sardonicus.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 07:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

salut JM,

Actually I tried many Post Sardonicus albums from Spirit (even the horrible Feedback), but it's just not the same quality as the first four albums.... Beit Copter, Capt America, 76, son Of ,  Potatoland (that one's got some disco beats) or Future Games.... they simply never rises to the waist level of Family, Clear or Sardonicus.
 Agree with you, but this album, each time i made it discover to friends....they said Wow!! 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 08:08
Until now, I just listened to The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus: not bad at all, some tunes are really wonderful.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 13:10
Their jazzy-rocky debut is great. One of my favorite 60's albums.

One of the earliest jazz/rock pioneers.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 15:14
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Their jazzy-rocky debut is great. One of my favorite 60's albums.

One of the earliest jazz/rock pioneers.

Clap

I'm glad someone else has noticed this. I'll say it again. Spirit has to be one of the most underappreciated artists in regards to thier eclectic progressive experimentation. Thier first four albums are all superb. Like many others post Ferguson/Andes material doesn't come close. Feedback was bad IMO however Spirit of '76 was better but not by much.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 17:08
I like Spirit of 76 very much, still sometimes listen to it, the Hendrix cover is nice
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2011 at 20:17
Followed their music for many years. I loved the first for releases. I wasn't too fond of "Feedback" in comparison to those. I was attracted to the fact that while most bands from their era were San Francisco based.....they hailed from L.A. .....and they were different musically from many of the bands whose reputation was praised by the hippie culture. Spirit were actually considered "Art Rock" by many in my youth, however it felt socially different for everyone due to the somewhat known pre-U.K. progressive rock movement which had been in development with the Moody Blues and The Nice. People weren't exactly sure hoe to define Spirit. It was like ....here comes this American band that contains progressive elements and how do we think of it?....So...they sort of got pegged as something else and the progressive side or their jazz instrumentals were written off in the holy book of Prog. But if you sit down and listen to some of the early Progressive Rock bands from the U.K. ....many cross the same borders as Spirit. Spirit had a unique approach to composition if anything of importance....while some of the U.K. bands were actually not up to par with them. Spirit were not part of the prog genre simply because of their situation which molded into the press and people's minds. They had hits like many late 60's bands, but when listening to the albums elements which were bizzare and developed from being progressive would unfold as it does on a progressive rock release from the U.K

. Anything having to do with Ritchie Blackmore's career is laughable and he is a real character. The 1 night when Blackmore was ill and Randy California stepped in with Deep Purple. A entire night of Randy doing the guitar work would have been interesting to me. He had fire in his rock leads and he was very good at rolling the fingers of his left hand at rapid Alan Holdsworth speed. It wasn't often you would hear him play like this....only on certain tracks. He used tri tones in the Fripp vain...But only on rare occassion. He really had a nice technique for jazz/fusion, acoustic finger picking and driving rock guitar leads. It's sad to think of the tragic death  of himself and his son. The song "Canyon's Burning"....(title might be wrong?) is just not a psych song. It has some other kind of element to it. Like on many of their songs I have heard passages that were like Curved Air and others who hail from the early 70's prog movement. Obviously they did do songs which were psych.....but so did Curved Air and many of the others from that genre.

Edited by TODDLER - June 05 2011 at 20:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2011 at 04:48
Very interresting point of view, and thanks for remembering Randy standed in for Blackmore, i forgot that Smile
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 07:27
Hi hi breaky breaky. LOL
Future Games is fantastic, one of my fave Spirit albums.
Some completely out of this world tracks on it.

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 08:21
Love 'Spirit' but only on the basis of 12 Dreams, so I'm definitely keen to check out the others, especially the first 4
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Hi hi breaky breaky. LOL
Future Games is fantastic, one of my fave Spirit albums.
Some completely out of this world tracks on it.      Hey! you're the first one to realy enjoy it, Beer God bless the Belgium (and the beer)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 14:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

salut JM,

Hello Hugues, what do you think about Captain kopter an d the fabulous........ just got it a few weeks ago, some nice stuff in it  but not the whole album is outstanding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>