Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive rock: a man's genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 16:39
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

As an all inclusive site, it probaby best to avoid racial or genre stereotyping. Let's just enjoy the music.
As much as I hate this thread, I do think it's interesting that the famous musicians of many genres tend to be fairly homogeneous. But it's hard to discuss that without people getting angry.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 21:43
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

As an all inclusive site, it probaby best to avoid racial or genre stereotyping. Let's just enjoy the music.
As much as I hate this thread, I do think it's interesting that the famous musicians of many genres tend to be fairly homogeneous. But it's hard to discuss that without people getting angry.

Yes, we wouldn't want the truth interfering with political correctness. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 09:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yes, we wouldn't want the truth interfering with political correctness. Wink

Mentally disabled workers complete their tasks with less perceived efficiency, in general. This is terribly offensive, I'd wager. I wonder if we have any mentally disabled proggers in the vicinity. 

I keep coming back to this site every half a year or so, and forgetting how much I suck at following rules, making friends, and not being an abrasively venomous cockface. 

For example:

Person 1 - Woohoo, summer's here!
Person 2 - How's the new [insert movie here], Charles?
Person 1 - Excellent! Did you ever [insert progressing hobby here]. Rudolph?
Alitare - Ground control to Major Tom: Rush sucks a lot.
Person 1 - Golf damned TROLL!
Person 3 - lulwut?
Easy Livin' - BANHAMMER

Doo-doo-doo-doo  doo-doo-doo-doo. You just got a slingshot.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 11:13
A discussion at home about why women seem to take after individual sporting events more than team sports made me think of another perspective to this.  Maybe women don't attach so much importance to the concept of a band or a group/team, which is everything in rock.  This is also a stereotyped and generalized observation, but well, just a thought...maybe that's why they are not so interested in rock? The ranks of women in classical music orchestras have swelled but maybe prestige and snob value is a factor there.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 13:59
I think female singer songwriters/ troubadours are more interesting today then the male counterparts, espessially in Norway and Sweden, like Lykke Li and Susanne Sundfør more spontanous and free thinkers,  braver I would say.
Pietro Otello Romano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 08:37

I am really sorry about the way my post may sounds, but however I didn't mean to be racial or stereotyping any genre at all.
English is not my mother tongue and sometimes I have some problem to express a concept in the proper way.Embarrassed

I was just thinking that a topic about the reason why, mostly prog doesn't appeal to anyone but white male, is quite a sterile discussion, without the opinion of anyone else that is not a "white male", and I was calling any of them available to join this topic because their opinion only could add some interesting information in the matter.

Of course maybe they've already done, and I am sorry if I just didn't get it...? But I still stress the point that 30 years ago I was still enjoying nice chat with many member of the other sex about the matter, but currently it looks like a very difficult issue.Big smile

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 10:15
Originally posted by Pietro Otello Romano Pietro Otello Romano wrote:

I was just thinking that a topic about the reason why, mostly prog doesn't appeal to anyone but white male, is quite a sterile discussion, without the opinion of anyone else that is not a "white male", and I was calling any of them available to join this topic because their opinion only could add some interesting information in the matter.

On the other hand, Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Freak Kitchen have performed in India. Jethro Tull came twice to India (missed them on BOTH occasions Cry).  Several fusioners have performed every now and then in India, notably the incredible Shakti.  Perhaps, part of the problem is critics, be they white males or whomsoever, are not interested in spreading knowledge of prog to anywhere, be it Europe or Asia.  But you folks in Europe (your location says London?) and USA can get in touch with people who caught prog in the 70s or at least who follow contemporary prog rock bands and get to know of the music.  But you will never see Red album or SEBTP mentioned as rock essentials in a place like India.  To expect all music lovers to have the curiosity to read on the internet and find out is unrealistic. This sort of relates to what I had brought up earlier. Are guys at all interested in reaching out outside their coveted circle?  Without such an effort, obviously the profile of fans of a particular genre may get homogeneous.  But there's nothing in the music itself that would alienate those who are not white males as such.  I know people who listen to prog and I have even picked up Canterbury classics like Rotter's Club in stores but it's bound to be a minority because there's no awareness and critics would rather you listen to November Rain all over again rather than Firth of the fifth.  

Edited by rogerthat - May 22 2011 at 10:18
Pietro Otello Romano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:34
[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, Opeth, Porcupine Tree and Freak Kitchen have performed in India. Jethro Tull came twice to India (missed them on BOTH occasions Cry).  Several fusioners have performed every now and then in India, notably the incredible Shakti.  Perhaps, part of the problem is critics, be they white males or whomsoever, are not interested in spreading knowledge of prog to anywhere, be it Europe or Asia.  But you folks in Europe (your location says London?) and USA can get in touch with people who caught prog in the 70s or at least who follow contemporary prog rock bands and get to know of the music.  But you will never see Red album or SEBTP mentioned as rock essentials in a place like India.  To expect all music lovers to have the curiosity to read on the internet and find out is unrealistic. This sort of relates to what I had brought up earlier. Are guys at all interested in reaching out outside their coveted circle?  Without such an effort, obviously the profile of fans of a particular genre may get homogeneous.  But there's nothing in the music itself that would alienate those who are not white males as such.  I know people who listen to prog and I have even picked up Canterbury classics like Rotter's Club in stores but it's bound to be a minority because there's no awareness and critics would rather you listen to November Rain all over again rather than Firth of the fifth.  
[/QUOTE]

...and I don't know why, they work quite hard to may look prog as a silly and useless genre too.
Unfortunately not even in Europe or USA. Here for example M. Jackson is the king of pop, and weird enough, Genesis are the ones for sillies!Unhappy
However, I am mostly agree with your post, but what we can do about that?
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful

what we pretend to be."

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:46
Originally posted by Pietro Otello Romano Pietro Otello Romano wrote:

...and I don't know why, they work quite hard to may look prog as a silly and useless genre too.
Unfortunately not even in Europe or USA. Here for example M. Jackson is the king of pop, and weird enough, Genesis are the ones for sillies!Unhappy
However, I am mostly agree with your post, but what we can do about that?

Nothing really, I am just attributing proper cause to this phenomenon.  Prog has a smaller following because the critics sell it short, as simple.  People will listen to anything that's drilled into their head as essential a thousand times over. This does not mean all such things necessarily constitute bad music but most listeners would rather the music walk up to their speakers than they find out about the music and get around to it.  And I am not really finding fault with that either because it's just human tendency and pretty normal. I am much more passive when it comes to seeking out great cinema even though I quite enjoy a film made with serious intent and executed with thoughtfulness and am not necessarily a pop cinema buff. I can devote the little bit of time that work leaves aside for me to the one art form of music but there's no room left for similar application with cinema.
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:16
Ah. This topic, yet again.

I recently had the humbling experience of playing Floyd's Animals for my fiancee (who is a classically trained pianist, a feminist literary scholar, and a rabid fan of contemporary indie-girl rock and classic disco). She was very quick to remark on the exclusionary nature of the music - it was not created to appeal to her, it did not address issues of womanhood, it deals with dystopic concepts that have been repeatedly branded as purely masculine. As men, we have the distinct privilege of being constantly pandered to by art. The differences between men and women's appreciation of art (be it prog, dadaist poetry, or Victorian literature) do not lie in fundamental differences between the genders; instead, the difference is derived from the overarching oppression of patriarchy.

Think about it this way: There is a traceable correlation between ice cream sales and murder rates. We could, after a moment's digestion of the data, assume that murdering people causes people to buy more ice cream, or vice versa. However, the actuality is that people eat more ice cream and murder more people when it is oppressively hot outside. Similarly, women finding prog unenjoyable does not point to a fundamental difference in their appreciation of art and sentiment. It is so easy to make lazy mental correlations! Remember that art does not exist in a vacuum: it is always the product of the artist's dominant episteme. That means that men make art that is inaccessible to women because it is a very direct expression of the oppressing gender's positionality in society. I very much doubt that a slave would ever revel ion the music created by an oppressive master.

In short, prog is a little boy's treehouse with a cardboard sign nailed to it saying, quite clearly, 'NO GIRLS ALLOWED.' I do love the genre, obviously, but arguments like the one opening this thread can occasionally make me embarrassed to be a prog fan.

Also, all this nonsense about women not writing great books is ridiculous. Ursula K. LeGuin, Margaret Atwood, Joanna Russ, Octavia Butler, Virginia Woolf...the list of truly groundbreaking women novelists is as vast as the sea. In fact, it was women who pioneered the novel as a viable form of art. Writers like Orwell and Huxley pale (in my humble opinion) in comparison to the Bronte sisters, George Eliot, or Mary Shelley.

Edited by Lozlan - May 23 2011 at 12:18
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 18:47
Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

I recently had the humbling experience of playing Floyd's Animals for my fiancee (who is a classically trained pianist, a feminist literary scholar, and a rabid fan of contemporary indie-girl rock and classic disco). She was very quick to remark on the exclusionary nature of the music - it was not created to appeal to her, it did not address issues of womanhood, it deals with dystopic concepts that have been repeatedly branded as purely masculine. As men, we have the distinct privilege of being constantly pandered to by art. The differences between men and women's appreciation of art (be it prog, dadaist poetry, or Victorian literature) do not lie in fundamental differences between the genders; instead, the difference is derived from the overarching oppression of patriarchy.

Think about it this way: There is a traceable correlation between ice cream sales and murder rates. We could, after a moment's digestion of the data, assume that murdering people causes people to buy more ice cream, or vice versa. However, the actuality is that people eat more ice cream and murder more people when it is oppressively hot outside. Similarly, women finding prog unenjoyable does not point to a fundamental difference in their appreciation of art and sentiment. It is so easy to make lazy mental correlations! Remember that art does not exist in a vacuum: it is always the product of the artist's dominant episteme. That means that men make art that is inaccessible to women because it is a very direct expression of the oppressing gender's positionality in society. I very much doubt that a slave would ever revel ion the music created by an oppressive master.

In short, prog is a little boy's treehouse with a cardboard sign nailed to it saying, quite clearly, 'NO GIRLS ALLOWED.' I do love the genre, obviously, but arguments like the one opening this thread can occasionally make me embarrassed to be a prog fan.

Also, all this nonsense about women not writing great books is ridiculous. Ursula K. LeGuin, Margaret Atwood, Joanna Russ, Octavia Butler, Virginia Woolf...the list of truly groundbreaking women novelists is as vast as the sea. In fact, it was women who pioneered the novel as a viable form of art. Writers like Orwell and Huxley pale (in my humble opinion) in comparison to the Bronte sisters, George Eliot, or Mary Shelley.

Just when I thought we had extracted all possible silliness from this topic....

Why does art have to specifically discuss issues of womanhood to avoid oppressing women? Is Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman an oppressive tool of the patriarchy as well? There are no words about anything, and as far as I know there were no women involved in the original production of the album. Even the cover art is by a man!

I think that many of the words written about this subject on this forum are embarrassingly sexist, and I'll even concede from my fuzzy memory that 1984 is probably a bit sexist. But I think it is you who is being sexist by saying that women apparently can't enjoy dystopias because they're often not about women. Animal Farm isn't even about human beings, I cannot imagine how one could make it "feminine." 

I assure you I am aware of correlation vs causation, but I really have no idea what it has to do with the rest of your paragraph. I'll give you some of its neckbearded fans are certainly repulsive, but how does progressive music itself actively discourage women from listening to it?

I don't think anyone said anything about women writing books? Although Frankenstein sucked kthx. 
if you own a sodastream i hate you
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 19:55

Why does art have to specifically discuss issues of womanhood to avoid oppressing women? Is Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman an oppressive tool of the patriarchy as well? There are no words about anything, and as far as I know there were no women involved in the original production of the album. Even the cover art is by a man!

I think that many of the words written about this subject on this forum are embarrassingly sexist, and I'll even concede from my fuzzy memory that 1984 is probably a bit sexist. But I think it is you who is being sexist by saying that women apparently can't enjoy dystopias because they're often not about women. Animal Farm isn't even about human beings, I cannot imagine how one could make it "feminine." 

I assure you I am aware of correlation vs causation, but I really have no idea what it has to do with the rest of your paragraph. I'll give you some of its neckbearded fans are certainly repulsive, but how does progressive music itself actively discourage women from listening to it?

I don't think anyone said anything about women writing books? Although Frankenstein sucked kthx. 

I think it was Alitare who compared the Twilight writer to Orwell, which is total bollocks of course.  Jane Austen is very well regarded in literary circles, though I completely abhor that horrible book Sense and Sensibility!  Tongue I agree with you that music or literature doesn't have to deal with only feminist concerns to be perceived as empathetic to or of interest to women audiences.  I would say to expect THAT is sexist.  Why shouldn't a woman be interested in Animal Farm? It's about the world, not 'mankind' to the exclusion of women.  I also do know girls who like dystopian writing, be it this one or Brave New World, so it's not true that dystopia inherently doesn't appeal to women.  It's just that MOST guys would rather watch dumb Arnold Schwarznegger films than read and most girls would rather read Mills and Boon and the minority that visits progarchives.com stereotypes the "other" group by their impression of the majority (believing foolishly that majority of men would also be interested in reading dystopian novels).  
Lozlan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 12:03

Originally posted by Lozlan Lozlan wrote:

Just when I thought we had extracted all possible silliness from this topic....

First and foremost, nice opening. Always a pleasure to be needlessly and rudely dismissed in the midst of what has the vague potential to be an intellectual debate. Woot.

I'll admit that, in summoning up the spectre of false correlation, I was a little vague. Let me specify: Men look at women. Women do not listen to prog. Men come to the conclusion that women are 'too emotional' to appreciate prog, that they 'dislike atonality,' or any number of ridiculous conclusions based in gender essentialism. This is a false set of assumptions made by not contextualizing the data. We exist in a fundamentally patriarchal society that conditions women from birth. Personally, beyond the observable difference in genitalia, I'm completely unconvinced that there are any differences between men and women that can't be explained away by this social conditioning.

In short, buying ice cream obviously compels people to commit murder, and women disliking progressive rock obviously means they have a basic genetic difference from men that prevents them from liking 'complicated' music.

EDIT: Admittedly, one is comparing two solid statistical facts, and one is deriving inference from an if-this, then-this supposition. Unfortunately the reasoning behind women's observed dislike of prog can't really be proven or disproven, only argued; even so, It would be really interesting if we could gather some info on how women actually feel about prog, or even some hard data concerning the gender-trend of prog purchasers. If only I'd gone ahead and gotten that psych degree!

Yes, there was discussion concerning books in this thread. Someone was bemoaning the lack of a woman-penned Brave New World, and I was pointing out that women have written lots and lots and lots of tasty perfect literature. Want a woman's dystopia? Read Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, or potentially LeGuin's The Dispossessed. They're every bit as riveting and complicated as the finest Orwellian nightmare.

Oh, and if Frankenstein sucked (a concept I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around), you should try reading any of the other multitude of novels Mary Shelley wrote. Unfortunately she's fallen victim to the One Woman, One Novel syndrome that plagues female writers, but The Last Man and Mathilda are masterpieces.

As for women reading or listening to men's music/lit...progressive rock is both an intensely innovative and intensely self-indulgent musical genre. This self-indulgence is the result of privilege working behind the scenes to determine artistic output. On the surface we can claim (correctly, too) that prog is striving to elevate popular music to the level of the symphonic and jazz masters; but I ask you, how many of those composers were women? For centuries it was impossible for female composers to achieve any shade of recognition, with the result that classical music is explicitly a man's world. This actually serves as another fantastic example of false correlation: there are no famous female composers, so women must not compose classical music. I can't count on both hands and both feet the number of times I've heard classically trained male musicians comment on women's obvious compositional deficiency, based solely on their under-representation amid the company of Bach, Brahms, and Mendelssohn.

Oppressed peoples always, ALWAYS pick up on expressions of privilege, especially in art; as Audre Lorde stated, it is impossible to deconstruct the master's house with the master's tools. Although I don't universally agree with this supposition, it does go far in signifying that the master's tools are easily identifiable to those straining for freedom or equality.

Okay. Said my piece. I now humbly await further dismissal.

Edited by Lozlan - May 25 2011 at 14:15
Certified Obscure Prog Fart.

The Loose Palace of Exile - My first novel, The Mask of Tamrel, now available on Amazon and Kindle
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 14:15
I'm lost as to what your point was and I have this gut feeling that your feminist wife has gotten to your head a bit. Are you trying to say that oppressive and patriarchal music is wrong? Can you determine which music is oppressively patriarchal? Are you or your wife the most intellectual beings on this spinning ball of dirt and puddle? I'm all for generalizations (I love ignorant hostility), but I try to refrain from generalizing. 

It's a well-known fact that women were oppressed for ages. Obviously the arts were male-dominated for quite a long time. This served a cultural and survivalist purpose. Racism, too, served a survivalist purpose. Ages past, when one similar group of individuals came about to killing other, dissimilar groups of individuals, they tended to have differing skin colors. Racism, then, was a natural side-effect of geographical conquest. Is it necessary for survival, now? In some cases, perhaps, but as we can see from the rampant growth in toleration in the major developed countries of the world, this primal racial need is being dissipated by the world at large. 

So of course women had their share of oppression. So of course they're probably more inclined to listen to different types of music. Of course there are women who love progressive rock, just like there are women who like to work at law firms, just like there are women who like to vote, just like there are women who like to bake apple pies and give blowjobs. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, what was your point? 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 15:13
All these big words and literary mumbo shmumbo, references to art and books and such.......hogwash!!

Its all about patience and just listening to the music.....for some reason women have a difficult time doing both with music. And maybe they are better at it than men are, maybe they multi-task better, since men always state...."sitting down and listening to my music...". I don't know any woman that just sits and listens to music, be it Genesis or Celine Dion.

Once I explained to my wife the meaning behind The Musical Box she was more interested in hearing the lyrics along with the music. Or even explaining all the parts to SDOIT .....it becomes more listenable to her and she can get it and eventually understand it.
In general when it comes to prog, just like heavy metal, it is difficult for women to get past some of the harshness, loudness (noise) of our music. I bet if you just give them the lyrics, it would spark more of an interest than simply pushing PLAY and tell them......"check this out honey!!!" Its like a 5yr old, the attention span will get them to about 1:45 into a song. I am not degrading either, its just fact, when it comes to music men just have the longer attention span. And some of it is fantasy for us, we want to be that band playing on stage and creating that music.....women could careless about that, I don't think there are many women who actually state "I want to be Celine, Norah Jones, Aretha, Lady Gaga or Kate Bush....."

For my wife what gets her interested in my music is all the stuff behind the scenes sometimes.......Neil Peart's losses, Portnoy's 12 part AA suite, Neal Morse's daughters birth defect. Issues that tug at your heart and deeper feelings, rather than trying to decipher Magma's Kobaia and their interacting with people from Earth....yikes!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 16:03
^What? If women had a so low attention span, they would listen to hardcore-punk! Rubbish nonsense! You should get out to the opera or some jazz concerts to see if your great theory is so right.

Yes, it sounds agressive and abrasive, but, for Hell's sake, I even went to several free jazz / improvised music where there were women on stage and in the public! Not to mention a she-friend of mine who is really, really fond of opera (and metal, and traditional folk music)
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 16:18
Originally posted by Slaughternalia Slaughternalia wrote:

Alright, I realize that there are certainly female proggers, but compared to other genres, the fan base it overwhelmingly male oriented. Don't deny it. I have met tons of prog rock fans, and not a single one has been female. Without sounding sexist, why do you think this is?

Personally, I think it has to do with the female mind often finding more of an emotional connection with more personal, nice sounding music. When I asked my mother why she hates Genesis so much, she said it sounded dissonant and made her feel anxious.

Sorry if that sounds sexist, because I'm really not at all. What are your thoughts?

Definitely a man's world, look at us here.

But sorry, this "I think it has to do with the female mind often finding more of an emotional connection with more personal, nice sounding music" makes me feel uneasy.

The 'nice' part is why my wife dislikes Prog, because it is too docile, way too mellow, flowery and 'nice' sounding, not to say cheesy (paraphrasing some of her thoughts here)
Not sure what you mean with 'personal' music. All music that hits me, hits me 'personally'. I guess that's the same with everyone, man and woman alike.

Prog is mind music, technical, a bit cold, contrived, it's not sexy, at least not compared to singer songwriters, disco, indie and other genres which have a fanbase that balances more towards female fans.

Edited by Bonnek - May 25 2011 at 16:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 16:52
Who cares if your wife hates prog. She should be in the kitchen cooking, not listening to albums.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 17:33
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

^What? If women had a so low attention span, they would listen to hardcore-punk! Rubbish nonsense! You should get out to the opera or some jazz concerts to see if your great theory is so right.

Yes, it sounds agressive and abrasive, but, for Hell's sake, I even went to several free jazz / improvised music where there were women on stage and in the public! Not to mention a she-friend of mine who is really, really fond of opera (and metal, and traditional folk music)

The topic is about PROGRESSIVE ROCK music...not jazz or opera. And to my point, opera is very emotional performances that pull at your heart.....I would expect women to enjoy opera rather than a prog rock concert. Jazz is lively and upbeat, you can dance to it even.....If you know my posts, you would know my wife is from New Orleans, jazz is in her blood, we've seen plenty of jazz artists in the French Quarter.

Because, to use your words, prog music is abrasive and agressive, the wonderful lyrics can get ignored in a lot of cases. But to us men, since we enjoy the music, we can listen to the lyrics and pull out the meanings quite easily.

So why are their no women music reviewers, reviewing prog rock albums?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 18:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

The topic is about PROGRESSIVE ROCK music...not jazz or opera. And to my point, opera is very emotional performances that pull at your heart.....I would expect women to enjoy opera rather than a prog rock concert. Jazz is lively and upbeat, you can dance to it even.....If you know my posts, you would know my wife is from New Orleans, jazz is in her blood, we've seen plenty of jazz artists in the French Quarter.

Because, to use your words, prog music is abrasive and agressive, the wonderful lyrics can get ignored in a lot of cases. But to us men, since we enjoy the music, we can listen to the lyrics and pull out the meanings quite easily.

So why are their no women music reviewers, reviewing prog rock albums?

I don't really listen to abrasive and aggressive prog music -- which bands are those precisely? My wife, like myself, enjoys a wide range of music. Our tastes differ in that she listens to classical music more often than I do, but I took her to a Jethro Tull concert when we were dating and she loved it. When Ian Anderson did a solo tour, she surprised me with tickets. She also bought a copy of the Rupi's Dance CD which she won't let me take out of her car.

All that being said, I thnk this whole patriarchal music business is a load of crap. We have plenty of Sandy Denny/Fairport and Annie Haslam/Renaissance CDs, but if she's in a rock mood, my wife will grab a Yes, Tull or Moody Blues CD. Or not, sometimes she listens to blues (all old black guys). She listens to whatever the hell she wants, just like I do. The only female singer I think she favors is Alison Kraus (who we saw with Robert Plant - great show by the way). She likes well composed, well sung and played music -- and I really don't think she gives a rat's hairy patoot what gender the musicians are, or whether she should feel inadequate because of some perceived male dominated music genre. The whole thought process is inane and misguided to say the least.

Wait a moment, she just home from work...

Yeah, so I asked her what she was listening to on her iPod. She answered Great Big Sea, The Waterboys and The Young Dubliners.

I asked her if she felt oppressed listening to male dominated Gaelic rock.

She answered, "Whatever."

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 25 2011 at 18:12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>