Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCPR (Christian Progressive Rock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 07:51
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I generally feel uncomfortable listening to bands who are using music as a device to promote certain ideas instead of critically examining them.

I am not a Christian, and haven't been since I left Catholic school in my teens. What I find amusing is that many rock fans will readily accept satanic imagery in videos and on albums, but get their panties in a bunch when someone sings about god (or gods if you're Hindu). Don't get me wrong, I love Black Sabbath and such, but I've never denigrated someone for stating their beliefs in a song, even if it's something I disagree with. If the music is excellent and the message is genuine, then it is a worthwhile listen. Again, I don't believe in god, but I don't believe in satan either. Man is evil enough and needs no external source to commit atrocities. There is very little critical examination in music in general, and for the most part thoughtful lyrics are few and far between.

Maybe that's because the satanic message usually doesn't really come through all that growling? Tongue

Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 08:14

Even though I'm not a practicing Christian, overtly Satanic lyrics still disturb me. Overtly violent and hate-filled lyrics can bother me as well. I like to have music to turn to where the emotions and world outlook are positive. I totally support Christians' desire to have music that supports them in their beliefs, in whatever style they choose. Some "evil" or "occult" lyrics are also not much different than watching a horror movie or watching a sci-fi / fantasy movie and those don't bother me.

Some overtly praise and glory lyrics don't do alot for me, but there are alot of Christian musicians let their faith filter into their lyrics from time to time and can be a great aspect of their music. (Moon Safari's Blomljud is an album I really like.)

If you don't like Christian Prog, don't listen to it. But there's absolutely no reason to complain about its existence for the people who do enjoy it.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 10:44
^good advice
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 14:23
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I generally feel uncomfortable listening to bands who are using music as a device to promote certain ideas instead of critically examining them.

I am not a Christian, and haven't been since I left Catholic school in my teens. What I find amusing is that many rock fans will readily accept satanic imagery in videos and on albums, but get their panties in a bunch when someone sings about god (or gods if you're Hindu). Don't get me wrong, I love Black Sabbath and such, but I've never denigrated someone for stating their beliefs in a song, even if it's something I disagree with. If the music is excellent and the message is genuine, then it is a worthwhile listen. Again, I don't believe in god, but I don't believe in satan either. Man is evil enough and needs no external source to commit atrocities. There is very little critical examination in music in general, and for the most part thoughtful lyrics are few and far between.

Maybe that's because the satanic message usually doesn't really come through all that growling? Tongue
Yes, the message becomes garbled if you start singing like a highly testoteroned version of Linda Blair from the Exorcist. "Your mother sews socks of hair!"

But then, I usually ignore music with vocals that consist of "Row-row-rowr-row-row-rowr-row!"
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 15:21
Originally posted by Barking Weasel Barking Weasel wrote:

I don't believe in god, but I don't believe in satan either. Man is evil enough and needs no external source to commit atrocities.

Clap

Then how is it evil if it's not compared to a standard?
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 16:12
Originally posted by Eärendil Eärendil wrote:

I don't believe in god, but I don't believe in satan either. Man is evil enough and needs no external source to commit atrocities.

Clap

Because no such standard exists.
MoodyRush View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 16:23
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Clap

There is also the notion of societal evil. Of course that is why there is a system of law, because people accept there is some standard that is needed for a working society.
Follow me down to the valley below.
Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul.
-Lazarus
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 21:22

Clap

I often think of evil simply as a lack of good, but even if you consider it a separate power, it still requires some sort of standard.  Inherently it's a comparison to a standard.  You can't say that a thing is worse without comparing it to something else.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 21:50

Clap

I often think of evil simply as a lack of good, but even if you consider it a separate power, it still requires some sort of standard.  Inherently it's a comparison to a standard.  You can't say that a thing is worse without comparing it to something else.
And you need a god for that? Considering that humans have created a countless number of gods, they certainly are capable of creating standards without one. If one considers the ten commandments, for instance, one is struck at just how many concern property. The shrewd Hebrew priests who invented the commandments were certainly intent on ensuring:

1) their jobs, first of all, hence all the religious gobbledy-gook meant to maintain their positions and their status as purveyors of the "true religion" (thou shalt have no other gods before me -- and don't make idols, they are costly and the money is better spent put in our coffers).

2) you didn't kill them

3) you didn't screw their wives

4) you didn't even dare check out their wives' asses over at the well

5) you didn't steal their stuff

6) you didn't even dare thinking about stealing their stuff

7) they were the only ones who could think up various religious lies -- you were not allowed to bear false witness, however.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 22:58

Clap

And you need a god for that? Considering that humans have created a countless number of gods, they certainly are capable of creating standards without one. If one considers the ten commandments, for instance, one is struck at just how many concern property. The shrewd Hebrew priests who invented the commandments were certainly intent on ensuring:

1) their jobs, first of all, hence all the religious gobbledy-gook meant to maintain their positions and their status as purveyors of the "true religion" (thou shalt have no other gods before me -- and don't make idols, they are costly and the money is better spent put in our coffers).

2) you didn't kill them

7) they were the only ones who could think up various religious lies -- you were not allowed to bear false witness, however.

Because Hebrew priests wandering in the wilderness were so rich and had land they owned!

Or that they enforced the law themselves!

Or that they formed a majority among their own people!

Gah- such cynical ignorance...Dead

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2011 at 23:47
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Clap

2) you didn't kill them

Because Hebrew priests wandering in the wilderness were so rich and had land they owned!

Or that they enforced the law themselves!

Or that they formed a majority among their own people!

Gah- such cynical ignorance...Dead

Hmmm...ignorance? I think it's a matter of perspective, thank you. Personally, I consider kindly old bearded gents talking out of burning bushes to be an ignorant fairy tale meant to edify and frighten superstitious shepherds, but to each his own. And as far as Hebrew priests, if you follow history (or even read the bible), you'll find them zealously protecting their prerogatives throughout the history of Israel, even to the point of pledging allegiance to foreign powers and being elected via the dictates of Rome and their puppets, like Herod. It's a good thing maintaining one's dignity wasn't the 11th commandment.

Of course, this is not a knock against the Hebrews, the Egyptian priests were much the same; in fact they took very unkindly to Akhenaten (the pharaoh previously known as Amenhotep IV) trying to practice his brand of monotheism. Eventually, all his temples were destroyed and his named erased from public buildings. The moral: don't screw with religion.
JesusisLord View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 02:15
Think not that i have come to send peace on earth, I came not to send peace but a sword......
                                                                                            Jesus Christ...Matthew 10:34

The sheer mention of God or his Son, Jesus Christ, immediately brings division, especially here to our beloved ProgArchives.....Thats the way it has always been and always be....God divided the light from the darkness all the way back at the beginning and in the fullness of times he will divide the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the tares, the saved from the lost....You are bothered by the mention of his name because you are not one of His. It doesn't bother you when they sing of pixies, fairies and all assortment of other gods, but mention His name and your immediately on the defense. Why? Be honest, It's not the "preachy Christians" that bother you but rather,  it's the fact that you just don't like or want the GOD of the Bible.....

Jesus said unto them, If GOD were your Father ye would love me for I proceeded forth and came from GOD... John 8:42
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Phillipians 2:11
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 05:50
Originally posted by JesusisLord JesusisLord wrote:

Think not that i have come to send peace on earth, I came not to send peace but a sword......
                                                                                            Jesus Christ...Matthew 10:34

The sheer mention of God or his Son, Jesus Christ, immediately brings division, especially here to our beloved ProgArchives.....Thats the way it has always been and always be....God divided the light from the darkness all the way back at the beginning and in the fullness of times he will divide the sheep from the goats, the wheat from the tares, the saved from the lost....You are bothered by the mention of his name because you are not one of His. It doesn't bother you when they sing of pixies, fairies and all assortment of other gods, but mention His name and your immediately on the defense. Why? Be honest, It's not the "preachy Christians" that bother you but rather,  it's the fact that you just don't like or want the GOD of the Bible.....

Jesus said unto them, If GOD were your Father ye would love me for I proceeded forth and came from GOD... John 8:42
You're very judgemental and condemning for a Christian. Please refrain from telling people what they do and don't like about your religion, you're not helping the case of preachy Christians by telling me that I don't like God...

I would like to quote Second Kings: 2:23-24

And he, Elisha, went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up that way, there came forth little children of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; Go up, thou bald head.

And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD.  And there came forth two she bears out of the wood and tare forty and two children of them.

Edited by progkidjoel - May 18 2011 at 05:51
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 06:57
Discussion continued here.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 03:24
The fact is, many truly gifted musicians have been neglected or dismissed because they were Christian, so it makes sense that Christian record labels were started to support these musicians and bands and get their work out there. For example, most of us have heard of, say, BEGGAR'S BANQUET, LAYLA AND OTHER LOVE SONGS, and HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED; most of us could easily identify the artists as the Rolling Stones, Derek and the Dominoes (re: Eric Clapton), and Dylan. But how many here have heard of Larry Norman's masterpieces like "Only Visiting This Planet" and "In Another Land," from the early 70s - albums which I will match against any other great rocks albums of the period? How many have heard of the Daniel Amos band's prog masterpiece about, of course, the end of the world, "Shotgun Angel"? And this same band managed to continue to make challenging albums, even as they made the transition to a somewhat more new wave/post-punk outfit.

Speaking of post-punk or alternative music, while R.E.M. got all the press (along with, say, Bob Mould and Sugar), who has heard of Adam Again, with their spate of excellent 80s and 90s albums, beginning with the masterful "Ten Songs by Adam Again" and ending with "Perfecta" - any one of which, had they been released by REM or Mould, would be considered important albums.

The thing is, the ones I have mentioned are those whose appeal would seem to be much wider than a strictly church audience. How about those whose music is much more directed towards worship, but who have managed to make amazing and incredible music? Artists like Rich Mullins and Phil Keaggy (whose Paul McCartney voice and Beatlesque melodies would have made him a bonafide star of the highest caliber if he had chosen to be a secular artist). If it weren't for the Christian music industry, these important artists would probably never have had the chance to pursue their craft and calling.
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 21:01

For a list of high quality Christian Progressive Rock bands with active links, check out this page:
http://www.cprogpositivity.com/

If you wish to "try before you buy", to hear Christian Progressive Rock online 24 hours a day - 7 days a week,
http://loudcaster.com/channels/674-cprogpositivity

Medium Heavy

Rob Perez
Pursuit
Revelation Project
Visual Cliff
David Walliman

Medium

Akacia
Dave Beegle
Brighteye Brison
Cruciform Soul
Divine In Sight
Fall of Echoes
Mike Florio
Glass Hammer
Kinetic Element
Kerry LIvgren
Neal Morse
Orphan Project
Proto-Kaw
Salem Hill
Fred Schendel
Syzygy
Ty Tabor
Ten Point Ten

Lite (but interesting and quite often very proggie nonetheless)

Ajalon
Azure
Dave Bainbridge
Everlasting Arms
Farpoint
David Fitzgerald
Iona
Jeremy
Jeff Johnson
Phil Keaggy
Music for Missions
Navigator
Charlie Peacock
Marcangelo Perricelli
Simon Apple
Soulful Terrain
Supernal Endgame
Unitopia
Vertical Alignment

Heavy
Amaseffer
Uli Jon Roth
Thrice (agree or disagree?  Let the debate begin!)
Vera Domine
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 23:26
Originally posted by Jake Kobrin Jake Kobrin wrote:

Why do Christians always have to hi-jack genres and make them Christian-specific? Why can't they just like the music, and then if they want they can write their own with maybe Christian inspired lyrics, but without "devoting the music in the name of Jesus" or whatever?
Just listen to Jesus Knows Me by Genesis
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 10:34
From a 30,000 foot view....I honestly don't understand the issue with CPR and what it stands for or what the bands that are tagged to this genre are singing about.

I have no interest in listening to anything Cannibal Corpse has recorded...but I will not trash them for it.

So these same people would have issues with Yes's Close To the Edge?
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 20:37
For anyone sincerely wondering "why" artists would create "CProgRock"....

If you can, try to imagine something or someone becoming so meaningful to you that it motivated and inspired you far above anyone and anything else!  As an artist, how could that source of meaning and inspiration NOT manifest itself within your art? 

Consider too that many Christians are evangelical - which means they are actively on the lookout for opportunities to "share the good news" that Jesus Christ - who had no sin - died to pay the price for sins - and that He was raised to life to show that He brings victory over sin and death to those who follow Him!  Some of the most zealous evangelicals are standing at American football games holding signs that say "John 3:16".  It is only natural that some evangelical Christians would wish to take advantage of the opportunity to express uniquely Christian ideas through their music!

Finally, for many Christians, music is most often a vehicle for expressions of praise and worship.  Some Christians even feel that in order for the music they create and/or experience to have any real purpose or meaning, it must in some way relate to the source of all their life's purpose and meaning - God!

Prog fans usually love to invent sub-genres, don't we?  From Krautrock to RIO... from Experimental and Industrial to Zeuhl and "Italian" - we just can't wait to think up new ways to "slice and dice" our Prog collections.  It is only logical that Christians would notice and designate some bands and songs as "CProgRock".

Edited by progpositivity - July 14 2011 at 20:37
Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Swandezvous View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 11:32
Awesome, I'm definitely going to submit my band, Good God Father. We're pushing our recent performance from the Skamania County Fair Grounds in Stevenson, WA, as the Red Cross were staging victims of the Eagle Creek Fire.

https://youtu.be/InDvIJYKCbk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>