Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Interviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCPR (Christian Progressive Rock)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 23:07
Originally posted by Negoba Negoba wrote:

Even though I'm not a practicing Christian, overtly Satanic lyrics still disturb me. Overtly violent and hate-filled lyrics can bother me as well. I like to have music to turn to where the emotions and world outlook are positive. I totally support Christians' desire to have music that supports them in their beliefs, in whatever style they choose. Some "evil" or "occult" lyrics are also not much different than watching a horror movie or watching a sci-fi / fantasy movie and those don't bother me.

Some overtly praise and glory lyrics don't do alot for me, but there are alot of Christian musicians let their faith filter into their lyrics from time to time and can be a great aspect of their music. (Moon Safari's Blomljud is an album I really like.)

If you don't like Christian Prog, don't listen to it. But there's absolutely no reason to complain about its existence for the people who do enjoy it.

Yeah, good post.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 23:08
Originally posted by progpositivity progpositivity wrote:

For anyone sincerely wondering "why" artists would create "CProgRock"....

If you can, try to imagine something or someone becoming so meaningful to you that it motivated and inspired you far above anyone and anything else!  As an artist, how could that source of meaning and inspiration NOT manifest itself within your art? 

Consider too that many Christians are evangelical - which means they are actively on the lookout for opportunities to "share the good news" that Jesus Christ - who had no sin - died to pay the price for sins - and that He was raised to life to show that He brings victory over sin and death to those who follow Him!  Some of the most zealous evangelicals are standing at American football games holding signs that say "John 3:16".  It is only natural that some evangelical Christians would wish to take advantage of the opportunity to express uniquely Christian ideas through their music!

Finally, for many Christians, music is most often a vehicle for expressions of praise and worship.  Some Christians even feel that in order for the music they create and/or experience to have any real purpose or meaning, it must in some way relate to the source of all their life's purpose and meaning - God!

Prog fans usually love to invent sub-genres, don't we?  From Krautrock to RIO... from Experimental and Industrial to Zeuhl and "Italian" - we just can't wait to think up new ways to "slice and dice" our Prog collections.  It is only logical that Christians would notice and designate some bands and songs as "CProgRock".

Right on. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 23:14
I gotta check some of this stuff out. I love prog, and I love Contemporary Christian(Amy Grant, Chris Tomlin etc). So chances are good that I'll love this! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 04:38
Originally posted by Swandezvous Swandezvous wrote:

Awesome, I'm definitely going to submit my band, Good God Father. We're pushing our recent performance from the Skamania County Fair Grounds in Stevenson, WA, as the Red Cross were staging victims of the Eagle Creek Fire.

https://youtu.be/InDvIJYKCbk

I listened before and checked out your bandcamp, I guess you don't have an album yet.   Hyperlinking your video to make it easier for people to listen.

By the way, I love quite a lot of Christian freak folk.

And Lalo Schifrin's Rock Requiem is one of my favourite Christian themed albums.

Edited by Logan - September 09 2017 at 04:40
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 16:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Awesome, I'm definitely going to submit my band, Good God Father. We're pushing our recent performance from the Skamania County Fair Grounds in Stevenson, WA, as the Red Cross were staging victims of the Eagle Creek Fire.

I listened before and checked out your bandcamp, I guess you don't have an album yet.   Hyperlinking your video to make it easier for people to listen.

And Lalo Schifrin's Rock Requiem is one of my favourite Christian themed albums.

That youtube song was good.. funky with Christian lyrics. Right on. Thanks for posting it. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 17:45
I need CPR when listening to CPR

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 18:44
The Danielson !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvoDPPm20g

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2017 at 23:59
I can see Neal Morse taking the cake for this ideal.
Amusingly enough, there's plenty of 'Christian' Death-Metal in existence. A bit laughable, might I say.........
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 00:04
Jesus Built My Progrock.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 08:46
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

That youtube song was good.. funky with Christian lyrics. Right on. Thanks for posting it. 

It's one of those albums that takes me back to another time, and that is probably the most "out there" track on the album (love the whole album-). I was once helping to put together a religious-themed playlist, and that plus Thomas Tallis' Lamentations for Jeremiah were two of my picks. There is so much great Christian-themed or inspired music through the ages. Christianity has, of course, been a massive inspiration for music, literature, and art and helped to shape Western culture generally.

By the way, you mentioned Amy Grant, the first CD I bought for my wife was Amy Grant's My Father's Eyes, produced when Amy Grant was still a teenager (beautiful album).
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 10:33
I can actually think of two Christian religious / devotional prog albums that I hold fairly dear, Wapassou's Messe en ré mineur and Jukka Gustavson's Yksin yhdessä...jaloa ylpeyttä yletän...ylevää nöyryyttä nousen.  Both a pretty far cry from Neal Morse, though.

Edited by Mascodagama - September 10 2017 at 10:39
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 11:45
There's plenty of excellent religious music out there, so I certainly have no objection to progressive rock or any genre being spiritual in tone or subject matter, but it seems silly to suggest a new genre or subgenre based purely on lyrical content. I know a lot of people consider the variety and breadth of subgenres pedantic, but there are legitimate musical distinctions between each classification on this website, some of which are even still too broad (RIO/Avant, Progressive Electronic). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 18:09

Edu Lobo - Kyrie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25rfzbN5pI

Résultat de recherche dimages pour &quot;edu lobo album&quot;
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 20:22

By the way, you mentioned Amy Grant, the first CD I bought for my wife was Amy Grant's My Father's Eyes, produced when Amy Grant was still a teenager (beautiful album).

It is a beautiful and great album, no question. I love her first album also.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2017 at 20:33
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The Danielson !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvoDPPm20g

Oh man, that's really good too. Thanks for posting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 01:27
This one is great

Résultat de recherche dimages pour &quot;danielson block&quot;
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 03:19
The finest CPR ever produced. The Trees Community - The Christ Tree. Noticed its in the archives. Good work by whomever fixed that. As beautiful as music gets: 

I kind of collect 70's xtianpsych-folk - especially of the innocent-sounding but often apocalyptic and judgement day-oriented kind. Here's the masterful opening of season three of Leftovers (so much better than the resurrected Twin Peaks). The Good News Circle -  I Wish We'd All Been Ready 

Loveliest doom-laden tune ever. Gotta love that deep bassline:

-It is very unfortunate that everyone will associate the genre with cardiopulmonary resuscitation. How about you progressive christians change the C to an X as well? Voila! - you change from literally begging to be ridiculed to become awesome in an instant.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2017 at 18:50
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

The finest CPR ever produced. The Trees Community - The Christ Tree. Noticed its in the archives. Good work by whomever fixed that. As beautiful as music gets: 

I kind of collect 70's xtianpsych-folk - especially of the innocent-sounding but often apocalyptic and judgement day-oriented kind. Here's the masterful opening of season three of Leftovers (so much better than the resurrected Twin Peaks). The Good News Circle -  I Wish We'd All Been Ready 

Loveliest doom-laden tune ever. Gotta love that deep bassline:

-It is very unfortunate that everyone will associate the genre with cardiopulmonary resuscitation. How about you progressive christians change the C to an X as well? Voila! - you change from literally begging to be ridiculed to become awesome in an instant.

Thanks for posting these. The second one I know from DC Talk. And for the record I spell Christmas just like that. No X. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 16:13
YESESIS,

Up in the Appreciation forum we've got a Twelfth Night thread.

TN were led on two studio albums and one live album by the sorely missed Geoff Mann, one of the best vocalists and lyricists with which the world at large is unfamiliar. 

After TN, Geoff fronted a couple namesake bands (A Geoff Mann Band, Eh! Geoff Mann Band) and one called The Bond, and also performed solo. These were all Christian prog/rock bands (The Bond was more straightforward). 

Here's a great song from Loud Symbols. an album by A Geoff Mann Band.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2017 at 18:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

YESESIS,

Up in the Appreciation forum we've got a Twelfth Night thread.

TN were led on two studio albums and one live album by the sorely missed Geoff Mann, one of the best vocalists and lyricists with which the world at large is unfamiliar. 

After TN, Geoff fronted a couple namesake bands (A Geoff Mann Band, Eh! Geoff Mann Band) and one called The Bond, and also performed solo. These were all Christian prog/rock bands (The Bond was more straightforward). 

Here's a great song from Loud Symbols. an album by A Geoff Mann Band.

Once again, you know what I like. Thanks for posting that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>