Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy don't most people love our beloved music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 06:42
Yeah, Lord of the Rings bores me to tears - give me A Canticle for Leibowitz or something.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 11:23
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by MagnumOpus MagnumOpus wrote:

Simple people like more simple things.
Complex people like more complexity and fantasy stuff.
Just like any polar opposites in life really..

Progressive/Psychedelic/space-rock are music for the dreamer.

I hope you are aware that fantasy literature is usually regarded as middlebrow at best. If you want to demonstrate your intellectual superiority, fantasy books and music made by stoned hippies are not the best choices.

Exactly.

People don't like prog because there are different tastes in the world. We just happen to be the minority.
-Radioswim- View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 11:51
This dead horse has been dead for years, and it's been beatn with bamboo sticks and shovels so much it remains only as dust and fragments of hair
A nice picture for the head :)

Dust in the Kitchen
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 17:12
   90% of the background music in movies and media in general is Progressive , but simply no one knows !!!   imagine it doesn't exist  !!??    the Titanic will be vanished in the Ocean !   However , in my opinion there's only  5%  from earth population can understand , appreciate Progressive & enjoy it  , and it's not easy to accept it if you're not a musician yourself !
Tracking Tracks of Rock
lokg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Somethings really not right here

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 01:45
it seems ok! :D ;)

/admin edit - hidden gif removed

Edited by Dean - July 05 2011 at 02:17
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 13:21
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Hey, I haven't seen you post in a while. I'm glad you could spare the time to come back and make what is possibly the most elitist post in this thread so far in case we'd forgotten about your moral superiority while you were gone. 

BTW, thank you for suggesting that I am morally superior, but there is really little about morality in my post, or the issue. I was speaking of taste, and of many people's seeming propensity to not think much -- least of all about music. I don't think that's in the realm of "morality."

Smilepeace and love! HandshakeBeer Hug Heart

Hehehe you slay me.

Edited by hobocamp - July 10 2011 at 13:24
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 15:54

This thread contains the words 'elitist', 'appreciate' and 'listen' (< but in italics as if to stress its meaning) far too much.

It made my brain melt.

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 16:01

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

In my experience, most people don't love any music, period (least of all complex music). If they don't opt for TV, they will play a dance-oriented satellite radio channel, and mostly ignore it. For most, music is just background noise -- a steady beat to talk over. I honestly believe most people lack the attention spans needed to really listen to music. They hear it, but they don't listen to it much.They are often totally oblivious to the lyrics, for example -- a 50 year old, educated woman I know recently told me that she "loves" Nickleback. "Ever pay attention to their lyrics?" I asked. "They are often very misogynist, very demeaning toward women."  "No," she replied. So, what does she love about them? An angry voice over aggressive music, I guess. A perceived image. Not the reality of lines like "I love you on your knees. I love my hands around your neck. You look so much better with something in your mouth. She's making six figures... she didn't get this far by just shaking hands." (That's right, girls -- prostitution is your road to riches.)

Most people don't read books, or go to see art films, plays, or finely-crafted costume dramas, either. They prefer shows like Jackass, and movies with lots of blood, boobs, and explosions. "Most" people like McDonald's cheeseburgers. Most people prefer Coor's Lite to a tasty, chemical-free, all-natural micro-brewed beer. Most people will not read a news story about the imminent death of the world's oceans, but they'll keep eating shrimp. Most people drive too much, in vehicles that are too big, and burn too much gas. Most people exercise far too little. Many will take up smoking tomorrow, despite having brains. Most people will not change their ways, for the greater good of their planet, and their future. Most people are sheep (tellingly, many will even opt for religions that label them "the flock" and their leaders or saviour figures "shepherds." and thinking too much or acting independently just makes them uncomfortable.

Thus, they get the entertainment, leaders, societies and planet they deserve.

I think it has always been that way, and likely always will. 

Oh, to hell with it -- let's take the SUV to Walmart, then McDonald's!

Hey, I haven't seen you post in a while. I'm glad you could spare the time to come back and make what is possibly the most elitist post in this thread so far in case we'd forgotten about your moral superiority while you were gone. 

OMG this is so great since Henry is the most elitist poster not named Peter in our history. This is like watching someone grapple with them self!

And really, welcome back Peter! You know any flak I gave you back in the day for being a pretentious, arrogant know it all is because I'm the same way but couldn't admit it. Heart

Edited by JJLehto - July 10 2011 at 16:02
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 16:40
They don't? Shocked
Crimzonite View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2011 at 22:16
I think that a lot of people today just can't appreciate Prog.  Their minds are so narrow, set to Pop, Hiphop, Rap.  Whenever they hear something new, or something extremely different and technical, like Prog, they'll give you the same answer:  "That's wierd, turn it off", or something like that.  I think it all comes down to whether people can appreciate it.  It takes a special mind, and a fine tuned ear to be able to figure out the complexity and melodies of bands like King Crimson, ELP, Symphony X, and more. 

I love Progressive Rock, and always will, I just hope people find this REAL MUSIC before it's too late.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 04:39
Originally posted by tarkus1980 tarkus1980 wrote:

While I generally don't care for the "prog is great, pop sucks" mentality, I'll bite.  Most people who claim to like music don't actually like to listen to music.  They like music that functions as light background while they socialize or work or run.  It's just one of those things.
I totally agree with this!
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 08:16
Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

While I generally don't care for the "prog is great, pop sucks" mentality, I'll bite.  Most people who claim to like music don't actually like to listen to music.  They like music that functions as light background while they socialize or work or run.  It's just one of those things.

I'll second that agreementClap
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 08:49
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by Ruby900 Ruby900 wrote:

I'll second that agreementClap

A 'third' right here
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2011 at 12:21
I don't. People do enjoy music for music's sake. They also use it as a soundtrack for their everyday life - even sex, which may be a bit disturbing, when you think about it.
avantgrind View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 17:31
because KISS fm is currently brainwashing my generation. in all seriousness, most of it doesn't have a steady 4/4 rhythm like pop music does and isn't what most consider "catchy".
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2011 at 18:38
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The reasons the masses hate prog are the very reasons that I love it.
I love prog precisely because the unwashed masses hate it. Tongue

All boils down to unfamiliarity more than anything else.  If it were all they played on commercial radio then they'd like it.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011