Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield Where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield Where to start?
    Posted: May 19 2011 at 17:37

I really want to get into Mr.Oldfield's work but I dont know where to start. Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn are probably the most obvious and essential albums to start with but maybe something else? Also is there a particular album of Mike's that has a symphonic atmosphere reminiscent to Genesis, Yes, Camel?

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2011 at 17:42
No, Ommadawn is what you need. And yes it has a pastoral symphonic influence from Genesis / Camel. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 01:44
Actually Crisis is not a bad place to start. It has an extended suite that is a bit like the Symphonic rock approach you mention.Simon Phillips (fantastic drummer) had a lot to do with this as he co produced the whole album. You also have Oldfield's best 'poppy' stuff like Moonlight Shadow and Shadow On The Wall.

Ommadawn is his highest rated album around here and is very lovely. Can't really go wrong with this or Hergest Ridge. Treat yourself to the deluxe editions which are not too expensive.Big smile

zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 02:25
^ Right oh with the Crisis/Phillips mention! 

I'd also like to mention Discovery and the even more superb Five Miles Out. FMO is worth getting simply because it has Taurus II. Of course Ommadawn, TB, HR, INC is essential and all that, but I found myself craving the guitar solo in Discovery or Maggie singing in Five Miles Out more than anything.

After mentioning it I feel compelled to post a live performance of the Discovery solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gptGCwcAls#t=1m47s

Edited by zachfive - May 20 2011 at 02:40
VanVanVan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 02:50
It's a bit intimidating, but Amarok was the first I heard from him and it worked just fine. Big smile
"The meaning of life is to give life meaning."-Arjen Lucassen
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 03:00
I just came back to mention Amarok cause it is my favorite album from him and can not believe i forgot it. 

You are right in that it is intimidating, but may be easier to digest if one knew what Mike was hoping to accomplish with Amarok. It was his big "F.U." album to Virgin, and that emotion shows. It is great solid music for sixty amazing minutes and basically none of it could be sold as "commercial".  I highly recommend it.

ps I have the main guitar "riff" (hardly what I'd call it) as my ringtone.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 03:35
Forget everything said above and start at the beggining.
Bigger on the inside.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 05:02
You have to start at T-o-o-b-o-o-l-a-r Bells
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 07:19
Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge are realy good to start with 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 13:23
They are all great, but I would start off with Crises and Tubular Bells II.

Crises the title track is one side of pure prog bliss, and I rate TBII higher than the original. Some of the guitar bursts on it are enough to raise the hairs on the back of the neck.

After that, well, take your pick. Amarok, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Incantations. Great stuff.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 14:06
I agreewith Lazland. Tubular Bells II and Crises. I personally like Tubular Bells II more than the original. Go for the complete Mike Oldfield if you can dig it up. It's a complilatio divided into thematic sections, instrumental, vocal, complex and live. The live tracks can only be found on this particular album if I'm correct.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 15:44
^ 'The Complete Mike Oldfield' is the best MO compilation. Available for about £15 on Amazon inc p&p (just checked). Good suggestion. You are also correct that the live side features tracks not otherwise available. I love the version of Platinum . Thumbs Up
ProgBob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 16:12
I started with the live album, Exposed.  In fact it was the first album I ever bought.  I then got Boxed, which compiled his first 3 albums plus some miscellaneous bits and bobs. Consequently, I'm biased towards the early stuff so I would suggest listening to the first 4 in chronological order: TB, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations.  
Bob
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 16:57
Ommadawn
Incantations
QE II

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 17:26
Taurus II, Tubular Bells, Crises and Ommadawn.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 21:47
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Crises the title track is one side of pure prog bliss, and I rate TBII higher than the original. Some of the guitar bursts on it are enough to raise the hairs on the back of the neck.
After that, well, take your pick. Amarok, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Incantations. Great stuff.

I'm afraid I don't quiet agree... I still have to get a lot of Mike Oldfield (I'm really interested in doing so), but I already have Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells II (as a matter of fact, the version of Tubular Bells I have is Tubular Bells 2003). There are some really good parts on Tubular Bells II, but in general I felt part II was just a copy of the original one, not really being able to achive the samy beauty, originality, power, etc from the first one. But then again, everyone has different tastes and perceptions.
Slaughternalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 00:37
Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are all you have to worry about
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 11:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm afraid I don't quiet agree... I still have to get a lot of Mike Oldfield (I'm really interested in doing so), but I already have Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells II (as a matter of fact, the version of Tubular Bells I have is Tubular Bells 2003). There are some really good parts on Tubular Bells II, but in general I felt part II was just a copy of the original one, not really being able to achive the samy beauty, originality, power, etc from the first one. But then again, everyone has different tastes and perceptions.

I actually prefer Tubular Bells III over 1 and 2.

TB2 is a bit bland and other for financial reasons I never understood his reasons for doing it. TB3 is quite a big move away from the orginal peice and brings in some contemporary ideas and has a bit of energy. There is also nice live version performed at Horse Guards Parade available on DVD (with TB2).
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:04
^ I love TBIII as well. A great album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
jean-marie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:23
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I actually prefer Tubular Bells III over 1 and 2.

TB2 is a bit bland and other for financial reasons I never understood his reasons for doing it. TB3 is quite a big move away from the orginal peice and brings in some contemporary ideas and has a bit of energy. There is also nice live version performed at Horse Guards Parade available on DVD (with TB2).   Yes! Great dvd ,mine is double side dvd with London and Edinburgh, we've watched it so many times with my wife and friends Thumbs Up Heart Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>